Hydroponic tips and tricks

General SS13 Chat
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Hydroponic tips and tricks

Post by calzilla1 » #213024

ITT we tell how to do hydroponics, best splice combinations, and things hidden from the wiki
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Re: Hydroponic tips and tricks

Post by 420weedscopes » #213030

plant seeds and water them
also give them food
harvest the plants when they are ready
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #213053

calzilla1 wrote:ITT we tell how to do hydroponics, best splice combinations, and things hidden from the wiki
Wheat can give you production 1.

Tobacco seeds give you yield 10.

Any of the vegetables in the garden will have 50 potency.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Post by Thundercoot » #213066

Best mutant plants are oats, parsnips, sweet potatoes and red beets
Good genes to splice from seed packs:
  • Tower cap - Potency 50
  • Wheat - Production 1 (fast)
  • Tobacco - Yield 10
  • Harebell (1 in chapel) - Lifespan 100
  • Tower Cap - Lifespan 80
  • Lime, Orange - Endurance 50
Carrot shivs (hatchet a carrot) are as good as kitchen knives when it comes to slicing food.

To heal plants, give them nutriment; the easiest way to do this is to compost other growns that contain nutriment, so grasses, fruits and vegetables are good for this.

Healing plants (no mutations needed):
  • Ambrosia vulgaris - bicaridine, kelotane, but also toxins. You can remove the toxin gene.
  • Poppy - bicaridine
  • Tomato - tomato juice heals burns
  • Orange - orange juice heals suffocation
  • Lime - lime juice heals toxins
  • Tea leaf - dry in a drying rack, grind in to tea powder, mix it with water (5u water for 1u powder) to make tea, heals toxins
  • Reishi (hack seed vendor, or let weeds take over) - Charcoal but also morphine
Most plants contain vitamin, which heals brute and burn damage. Unlike nutriment, vitamin only fills you up to a certain amount, so it shouldn't make you fat.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #213068

The charge of potato batteries scales with potency (if you give them the electrical activity gene from glowcaps), so a 100 potency potato gives a 400k charge battery.

I also give them the electrical activity gene from glowcaps, as Ive heard they make it recharge as well.
Last edited by TribeOfBeavers on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #213083

Hack the vendor for glowshrooms at roundstart, and mutate pumpkins into blumpkins with left 4 zed.
Insert the chlorine gene from the blumpkin into the glowshroom mycelium and you now have a plant that grows mutagen.
Break free of the Chemistry shackles!
Also, glowshrooms and golden apples give fairly good early round research levels, while glowcaps give even better.
You can also take the liquid gold from ground up gold apples and use it as a reagent in the circuit printer, which is incredibly useful for R&D if mining has been lazy.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #213141

Circuit imprinter uses solid gold, so the only reason you want liquid gold is for curing viruses.
Space tobacco has salbutamol for breathing with no air, useful for plant people.
Omega weed holds 420 reagents instead of 100.
For slippy non-banana plants you need to add the lube gene too to not be penalized.
The wiki page for botany is now updated with all the genes and reagent production for easy theorycrafting.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #213181

XDTM wrote:Circuit imprinter uses solid gold, so the only reason you want liquid gold is for curing viruses.
I know that either the circuit printer or the protolathe takes liquid gold, just don't remember which it is. And I know that the exosuit machine does not.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #213203

You can pour it in both, it's just that neither can use it for anything.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #213434

As a botanist, you're more important than anyone else on the station. Steal the chem machine at round start, the two chemists and the rest of medbay don't need it. Break in and steal it again when someone takes it back.

At this point, you've likely ticked off a bunch of crew members. Ignore them asking for it back, they're beneath you. Attack anyone trying to get it back with spears, even if all they're doing to defend themselves is throw a bar of soap at you.

Security might get involved now, so make sure you ignore them asking you to return the chem machine. Attack them when they finally come into hydroponics.

If you can't have the chem machine, no one can. Steal it from the crew member trying to get it back to chemistry, then push it out the escape airlock. You'll likely fall into crit from running into space and people trying to stop you from spearing them, and the sec officer will brig you for a couple minutes.

This is only minor setback. Have a friend let you get guns and armor from the armory, pass some to your fellow botanist, then hunt down and lethally laser the crew members who considered the whole thing over with a long time ago.

Of course, you could just get a chem machine board from science or tech storage, but then how else will you be able to escalate straight to murdering people?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #213442

TribeOfBeavers wrote:The charge of potato batteries scales with potency, so a 100 potency potato gives a 400k charge battery.
Just tested this and this is false
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #213473

Ambrosia Gaia is your best friend.
You get it from mutating Ambrosia in to Ambrosia Deus and mutating it again in to Ambrosia Gaia.

If you use a branch of Ambrosia Gaia on any of your trays that is both plant free and weed free then it will turn it in to a golden patch.
This keeps you from ever having to water the plant, feed the plant any nutrients, and keeps the plant safe from weeds.
---
Kudzu actually has a lot of beneficial uses that no one ever bothers with.
Such as
-Covering up space tiles with vine floors, great for fixing breaches.
-Generating light to keep the entire station lit during a power outage.
-Absorbing plasma out of the air to stop traitors from ruining everything with a plasma fire.
Chances are you'll get lynched on the spot no matter what.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #213500

calzilla1 wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:The charge of potato batteries scales with potency, so a 100 potency potato gives a 400k charge battery.
Just tested this and this is false

I do it every time I play botany. You need to add the electrical activity gene. Ive never tried to do it without, although I figured it was possible.
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #213602

You can set up an irrigation system by using wire cutters on adjacent hydroponic trays.

A replica pod will clone people inside it into podpeople, which have a few benefits.
- Passive healing in the light (and getting hurt in the dark), keep a high potency glowshroom in your pocket as a flashlight/ medkit.
- plant faction. Monster tomatoes and kudzu will not harm you.
- nutriment/vitamin from water.
You'll need someone to harvest you however, so bring a friend.
Last edited by MimicFaux on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Post by Thundercoot » #213617

MimicFaux wrote:A low potency replica pod will turn people inside it into podpeople
Replica pods will always produce a podperson, regardless of potency. It's been like that since December 2014.

If you harvest a replica pod without blood, the number of seeds you get depends partly on the yield. Increase the yield to 10 and you'll be able to consistently harvest multiple seeds, which is always good for cloning more people.
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #213855

Oops! Updated now.

Using a hatchet on a carrot will net you a delicious shiv. Great for cutting things up. Less so for shanking that assiantant that broke in for your weed.
ImageImageImage