Clothing Damage

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Housecat
Byond Username: Actual Real Housecat

Clothing Damage

Post by Housecat » #218059

I've been waiting for someone to make a thread but I guess I'll have to do it. I have never seen more people walking around naked. The new changes to clothing may be realistic and immersive in a certain sense, but from what I've seen they add nothing to gameplay. It's frustrating to lose items and annoying at best to take care of them. Unique items can easily be lost forever. I think the furniture damage changes are overall positive but having everything you're wearing destroyed by melee hits or fire is way too much and has a negative impact on a game based around continually grappling with danger. I've only seen people with bad things to say about it. I don't like it and I think it should be removed or HEAVILY decreased. I'd like to hear others' perspective on this and welcome people to share their experience
August Cooper • Dakota Marshall • Dances-With-Fire • Two-Leaf • Lucinda Wyles • Tania Price
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Clothing Damage

Post by oranges » #218061

no
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #218064

I agree it is pretty god damn annoying. Especially when my snowflake gear gets destroyed. We had explosions destroying equipment once before, it was near universally panned as awful and got reverted. What makes this any different?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #218066

Somehow has made plasmafires even more annoying.
No matter how fire protected you are, traversing a fire-laden hall almost guarantees you just lost your backpack and toolbelt.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #218080

backpacks etc should not melt off if you are wearing something fireproof
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PathOfChaos1
Byond Username: Pathofchaos1

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #218081

Damage seems to destroy all clothing all at the same time instantly.. how many times have I been mining, and for whatever reason I catch on fire. My fully upgraded suit burns away at the same time my jumpsuit does. Both of which have fire resistance....(maybe not the jumpsuit) This change is annoying, and not in the good way.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #218086

>wearing CE hardsuit
>start plasmafire murderspree
>backpack gets burned off
>plutonium core and metal powerfist inside get burned up
>toolbelt gets burned
This feature sucks, remove it. Before the change, noone said "Gee, if only we had item damage!" Pretty sure more people dislike than like this feature.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #218087

Just make exosuits protect items
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #218089

iamgoofball wrote:Just make exosuits protect items
or remove the feature entirely as it adds nothing to the game
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #218093

He is right. We had it once, it was bad, it was removed. Why is it back again?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #218110

typical
"ugh X is bad remove it"
"Why is X bad"
"X is bad becuz Y remove X"
"Okay let's try fixing Y that could fix X"
"X IS BAD REMOVE X"
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #218113

It's a good feature, it's just horrible right now and needs serious tweaking.

Outer layers need to protect inner layers, and certain items need to be more durable.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #218114

TG's had clothing take damage from fire and bomb damage for a long while now. It was one of the later things I coded before I stopped playing. And the code for it was intact up until 3 days ago, when Phil had his object defense refactor merged.

So whatever went wrong, don't blame me. I'm sure it just needs a bit of tweaking.

For example, in my version, it would only burn clothes off corpses because I felt that fire was common enough to become frustrating. For bomb damage, outer layer clothing would protect the layers underneath, and backpacks had a significantly reduced chance to be blown away.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #218151

TechnoAlchemist wrote:It's a good feature, it's just horrible right now and needs serious tweaking.

Outer layers need to protect inner layers, and certain items need to be more durable.
This.

Inner layers getting burned while wearing fireproof exterior clothes shouldn't happen, it's a bug I need to fix.
Everything else is just tweaking three values (obj_integrity, armor[fire], resistance_flags) for various items.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #218155

Would mining suits be slightly fireproof? Because the cult trap ruin is the worst thing now. And if you get hit by a Drake all of your shit is fucking gone forever.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #218225

Basically the way i feel about it is that there is enough ways in this game to get totally dicked over. When you die you have to deal with people potentially looting your shit, getting hidden some place you will never be found, getting gibbed creatmated or singulo'd, ect. This is good, it is part of the game. However being able to permanently lose difficult or impossible to replace equipment to hazards as common as fire and explosions is frustrating and i feel like losing my snowflake detective suit, while irritating, is not exactly adding difficulty.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #218243

Tweaking a bad change probably won't magically make it a good change, just a slightly less bad one

This seems to make fire just absurdly strong though, which was a buff that nobody really asked for because fire was already very deadly.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #218468

Was on fire for a couple seconds as a traitor because someone else flooded plasma. Destroyed my backpack, all my traitor gear, and more importantly the intellicard I was just about to use to complete my steal AI objective. I've had rounds where my explorer suit was the only thing to survive whatever mishap I'd run into while mining, losing me all the stuff I've already acquired in my pack and webbing, and more importantly all the points on my ID.

At the moment, next to no one is happy with this, and it really needs to be quickly reverted and fixed. Losing all your shit because you run into whatever small hazard just makes you not want to play the round anymore.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #218471

Clothing damage is fucking dumb. I got hit with a fireball and the only things left on me from a fully armed setup with things inside backpack was my jumpsuit, glasses, armor, and PDA. Everything else was GONE. Things inside backpack weren't even shredded, they were DELETED.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #218473

Didn't it also delete your loyalty implant?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #218475

Remember when explosion blast used to destroy all your items and strip you naked. It wasn't fun.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #218477

I thought it was fun.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #218485

Assistants would not care, yes.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #218521

iamgoofball wrote:typical
"ugh X is bad remove it"
"Why is X bad"
"X is bad becuz Y remove X"
"Okay let's try fixing Y that could fix X"
"X IS BAD REMOVE X"
ShadowDimentio wrote:Tweaking a bad change probably won't magically make it a good change, just a slightly less bad one

This seems to make fire just absurdly strong though, which was a buff that nobody really asked for because fire was already very deadly.
this. all of this. its a change that nobody asked for, the vast majority dislikes, and even if it was "fixed" would still be awful. the same goes for many more things being destructible, most of all being doors, which is basically an emag that takes time. the greytide already gets into places they shouldnt be incredibly easily, why make it worse? at the very, VERY least with the latter make the "drop" for destroyed doors be airlock electronics, wires, AND metal instead of just 2 metal sheets so it can be rebuilt somewhat easily.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #218571

What is the point to this other than being an attempt at realism? Is it ever fun losing your shit to a common hazard?
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #218704

Remove it.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #218746

once again coders proving they don't care about community feedback
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #218784

The whole PR broke stuff, just revert it tbh.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Housecat
Byond Username: Actual Real Housecat

Post by Housecat » #218820

To me as a player having to carry around cloth and ask botany for it (assuming botany is even functional), or carry an extra suit, is just clutter and a chore. It might be easy to say what's the big deal but when you play the game regularly it's draining to perform the same routine tasks over and over, and this adds another one for no real benefit. And as someone who plays botany more than average I think making this depend on the biogenerator is a silly way to shoehorn botany into relevance.

If this feature is going to be included, here's how I think it could be made much less disruptive and frustrating:
- Make hardsuits (particularly the explorer suit) indestructible or near indestructible - because the only thing less fun than losing your jumpsuit is losing a hardsuit - and make them prevent damage to all other equipment
- Add single use, pocket sized clothing patches to vendomats so people can repair in an emergency
- Have nanotrasen start using fireproof fabric on their state of the art plasma research station, year 2556
Last edited by Housecat on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
August Cooper • Dakota Marshall • Dances-With-Fire • Two-Leaf • Lucinda Wyles • Tania Price
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #218822

While I agree that punching a shirt will mess up the fibers a bit, maybe limit clothes to taking brute damage from sharp objects in the future?
After this update is heavily reworked, that is. The stations propensity to catching fire wasn't balanced to account for things like this.
If you really want to keep this is please limit it to blue flames only, at least, ideally only to fire hot enough to put you in crit before your clothes burn off completely.
Weisyl
Byond Username: Weisyl

Post by Weisyl » #218839

This feature is especially bad for mining where you take damage on a routine basis. It's basically a REQUIREMENT now to bring a spare jumpsuit, and even then, if you lose it in the middle of a fight with say, megafauna, that can totally get you fucked over. Even worse is that your actual explorer suit will eventually fall apart too, so now you have no suit since generally there's always 3 miners, and the upgrades you made to it meant shit in the end.

Edit: I've also had my backpack and shit fall apart while fighting a drake, and then I think most of the gear in it immediately burned because I couldn't find most of it afterword. Do I even have to continue on this...
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #219005

Rather than outright deleting the clothing I think it should just be damaged up to the point where it loses its functionality and it's basically like you're just wearing torn rags in that slot. Then add the ability to repair damaged/broken equipment. That way you can at least recover from an accident if you have the right tools.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #219010

That is an excellent idea Rico, it would make it much less shit
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #219021

Ricotez wrote:Rather than outright deleting the clothing I think it should just be damaged up to the point where it loses its functionality and it's basically like you're just wearing torn rags in that slot. Then add the ability to repair damaged/broken equipment. That way you can at least recover from an accident if you have the right tools.
on a similar note, can we have the airlocks drop the parts needed to make said airlock so you can rebuild them if someone memes them down?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #219067

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219092

Shooting someone in the leg for no reason and then taking them to the doctor doesn't obligate them to be grateful to you because they'll still have a fucking hole in their leg.
ShadowDimentio wrote:Tweaking a bad change probably won't magically make it a good change, just a slightly less bad one
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #219099

this isn't being reverted, learn to live with that and move on to improving it's values.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219100

Classic coder stance, "Fuck you players I know better, suck my cock and deal with it"

Also note how everyone who's defending this is a coder.

co·in·ci·dence
kōˈinsədəns/
noun
noun: coincidence; plural noun: coincidences; noun: co-incidence; plural noun: co-incidences

a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.
"it's no coincidence that this new burst of innovation has occurred in the free nations"
synonyms: accident, chance, serendipity, fortuity, providence, happenstance, fate; a fluke
"too close to be mere coincidence"
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #219122

ShadowDimentio wrote: Also note how everyone who's defending this is a coder.
Maybe because we realize that a ~4k line, 464 file code change that standardizes damage handling instead of a bunch of piecemeal garbage code that's been building up for years is not something we should kneejerk revert. We are very aware of the back end benefits since we have to work around this stuff on a regular basis.

Yes the gameplay has suffered right now, including making my codebaby lavaland borderline unplayable, but I have faith that Phil will make it better.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #219124

do i count as a coder now
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #219125

ShadowDimentio wrote:Classic coder stance, "Fuck you players I know better, suck my cock and deal with it"

Also note how everyone who's defending this is a coder.

co·in·ci·dence
kōˈinsədəns/
noun
noun: coincidence; plural noun: coincidences; noun: co-incidence; plural noun: co-incidences

a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.
"it's no coincidence that this new burst of innovation has occurred in the free nations"
synonyms: accident, chance, serendipity, fortuity, providence, happenstance, fate; a fluke
"too close to be mere coincidence"
This was uncharitable
Last edited by oranges on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #219148

From a game design point of view it makes no sense to add a feature if you then tweak this feature until it no longer affects gameplay in a relevant way. Adding item damage and then removing it from those items that are more likely to sustain damage makes the feature utterly useless. At that point you may as well remove it.

There are triple A games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls series where item damage is an important part of the gameplay, and repairing your items doesn't feel like a chore. However, in those games you can find all you need while exploring, without having to backtrack to the nearest outpost or city each time your stuff gets damaged. Just add some ways to scavenge/craft cloth from Lavaland and I'm sure that miners will be able to enjoy the game again.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #219156

Grazyn wrote:From a game design point of view it makes no sense to add a feature if you then tweak this feature until it no longer affects gameplay in a relevant way. Adding item damage and then removing it from those items that are more likely to sustain damage makes the feature utterly useless. At that point you may as well remove it.

There are triple A games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls series where item damage is an important part of the gameplay, and repairing your items doesn't feel like a chore. However, in those games you can find all you need while exploring, without having to backtrack to the nearest outpost or city each time your stuff gets damaged. Just add some ways to scavenge/craft cloth from Lavaland and I'm sure that miners will be able to enjoy the game again.
The work is still there, even if all clothes get infinite HP the code is now a bit better. Also lmao a fucking bethesdrone that thinks duct-taping degradable weapons together is a well though-out mechanic.
Last edited by Iatots on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219158

Kor wrote:
Maybe because we realize that a ~4k line, 464 file code change that standardizes damage handling instead of a bunch of piecemeal garbage code that's been building up for years is not something we should kneejerk revert. We are very aware of the back end benefits since we have to work around this stuff on a regular basis.

Yes the gameplay has suffered right now, including making my codebaby lavaland borderline unplayable, but I have faith that Phil will make it better.
Oh boy so this wasn't a gameplay change it was a code change that broke everything until it was fixed, even better

Look man. I don't know shit about code, all I care about is gameplay and the effects a new thing has on it. Defending a bad gameplay change just because holy shit the server broke for a few days but the code stacks /so well/ or because "our coder overlords will make it better eventually" is completely ass-backwards.
Now this isn't to say I want it totally removed. The change has been damn good on the front of allowing things to be broken so there's less chance of you getting permasealed in an area if you don't have a toolbelt, something I experienced a few weeks ago as I play nuker and got sealed in a room with an indestructible vending machine standing between me and freedom. Just remove the clothing damage and we'll be gucci.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #219161

Kor wrote:

If anything ergo's nerfs hit it harder.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #219254

oranges wrote:this isn't being reverted, learn to live with that and move on to improving it's values.
...are you fucking serious right now? this isnt a troll? dude, you're acting like fucking HG right now. the vast majority of people here are saying that they dont like this and you are LITERALLY just saying "fuck you" to them for no reason other than "im a coder so deal with it." how fucking conceited can you get? i get that you worked hard on it and shit but that doesnt give you the right to skate over complaints like this. stop being a typical codercunt and maybe learn to listen to other people, jesus christ.
Kor wrote:

again, work put into something doesnt give you an excuse to keep it despite overwhelmingly negative feedback. if you want to test something, test it on a TEST SERVER, this is just as bad as goofball atmos "testmerges" that fuck up the server for days.

again: nobody asked for this. nobody suggested it. the vast, VAST majority dislike it and want it reverted. even if the old code was junk, if it aint broke dont fucking "fix" it with shitty testmerges.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #219256

read Kor's thing, this was part of a massive system refactor on code that has been piling up like a landfill for years that makes it all nice and standardized.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/20793
7 thousand lines changed, 464 files modified. you might not know if you never code but that is a fucking TON of code. gameplay ramifications are a side effect of this refactor and will simply have to be rebalanced as we go, because this PR is massively beneficial to the overall game in the long run, and reverting it would be stupid.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #219257

Would removing clothing destruction altogether be possible without taking Kor's codebabby out to pasture? I can appreciate that it was hard work and cleaned up a lot of garbage but i still think that your items getting destroyed by common hazards is altogether bad
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #219262

PKPenguin321 wrote:read Kor's thing, this was part of a massive system refactor on code that has been piling up like a landfill for years that makes it all nice and standardized.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/20793
7 thousand lines changed, 464 files modified. you might not know if you never code but that is a fucking TON of code. gameplay ramifications are a side effect of this refactor and will simply have to be rebalanced as we go, because this PR is massively beneficial to the overall game in the long run, and reverting it would be stupid.
okay, THIS i can appreciate more than the general "fuck you we're coders" we've been getting. but i have to agree with wyzack, cant we fix the code WITHOUT the clothing damage crap?
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #219267

For one, make backpacks invlunerable. They are your main form of storage. If they burn, you literally can't effectively carry something.
Exosuits burning is fine, honestly, as long as they aren't space-worthy (as that would make no sense anyway). Armored clothing shouldn't burn.
Uniforms burning is fine. Shoes burning, fine. Gloves, belts, hats (helmets should not burn.)

Make the clothing damage to basic shit, not everything. Uniforms and misc exo suit stuff burning and the occasional belt item and pockets isn't a big deal and doesn't ruin gameplay, while still offering clothing damage. I don't care if it's not realistic. Backpacks should be treated as they are used, which is the primary form of "bag of holding-style" storage. This game is still an RPG of sorts. It don't need to be realistic.

The feature isn't inherently bad, although the burnt objects look like shit, but in it's state, it is annoying and not really any sort of fun.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)