How did you like shadowling?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

How did you feel about shadowlings?

I loved it! I don't get all the hate.
33%
It was an okay gamemode.
21%
I love the concept, but something mechanically stopped me from enjoying the mode. (Please outline below.)
8%
I was indifferent to it.
8%
Something in the mechanics rubbed me the wrong way and stopped me from liking the mode at all. (Please outline below.)
8%
I didn't like shadowling.
21%
Shadowling was my least favorite gamemode.
No votes

Total votes: 24

Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

How did you like shadowling?

Post by Xhuis » #223834

I want to gather some feedback from my first gamemode going forward. I know there was a lot of hate surrounding it, but people never really specified why they hated the mode. I have no reason to believe they will now, but I'm at least hoping that some of us are more mature than toddlers and can outline why they didn't like the mode. Anyhow, leave your thoughts below as to why you did or didn't like it, and vote on the poll.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: How did you like shadowling?

Post by PKPenguin321 » #223837

I personally liked it a lot, very straightforward mode with a clear goal. It's my understanding that a lot of people didn't like it because of the Glare ability though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #223838

Ranged parasting.

Another security vs badguys conversion mode complete with team HUDs and hivemind (it's redundant, it will never not be redundant until you remove other conversion modes or radically alter everything about shadowling to the point where its an unrelated mode to your original design).

Either snowballs terribly (it's rev but all the revheads are pseudo wizards and all the revs get parasting) or ends up with shadowlings jaunting in circles for half an hour while people charge around maint with flares.

Shadowlings were weak to light, but had a bunch of spells to just negate light entirely, so there wasn't really much actual light vs darkness going on, just hitting running away until spells were off cooldown and they could ignore light again.

Light vs darkness when the guys with night vision can't even see the dark tiles properly sucks.

Light vs darkness in a game with 360 degree lighting and vision is never going to work.
but I'm at least hoping that some of us are more mature than toddlers
Try leading by example instead of making a passive aggressive post and pretending people didn't leave literally hundreds of comments across github and the forums on what they specifically liked and disliked about shadowling.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #223840

I thought it was a bad gamemode.

Ranged parasting was just lame and the only thing you really got to do as Sling was converting people. Actually going out to confront people and use your powers was just suicide, so most powers never got used.

What I did like was the progression based unlocking of powers and I still think this is how changelings should work (absorb people, get more power).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #223842

I loved hiding in maint, nabbing a passing engineer for their ID and then snowballing to control an entire department and eventually ascend.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #223844

My issue with Sling was that it was a redundant conversion mode during a time when we were swamped with conversion modes.
Plus it was so hard to tell if you were in the dark or not, variable night visions was alright but I don't believe there was just a quick enable/disable to see if there was any light around you.

Honestly I'd prefer it as a non-conversion team antagonist
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #223857

The ranged parasting was godawful, yes.
Shadowling never got a nightvision toggle, just variable NV, which wasn't really of any help to it at all.
The abilities it got were, uh, really bad; AoE confusion, AoE slowdown, blindness smoke that healed it and allies combined into one thing; it unlocked those, and it could drop in the middle of a group, press four buttons, and leave with a guy to convert, and with the jaunt doing so was basically 0 danger.

It was just too GOOD at what it did and was not fun to play against or particularly fun to fight once the crew got their shit together and spammed glowshrooms, which were basically the only thing that could really stop a shadowling for going everywhere at all times, possibly excluding an AI watching it with camera lights(though that was more of an exploit/only worked in areas with cams).

Design was pretty eh: it was super focused on being uncatchable and getting converts, and it was, wow, super fucking good at that, to the point where it could do nothing else.

Bugs were also something of an issue, as well, mostly to do with veil and not turning off lights.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #223866

Anonus wrote: Design was pretty eh: it was super focused on being uncatchable and getting converts, and it was, wow, super fucking good at that, to the point where it could do nothing else.
This is a very important line. There was very little room for creativity in shadowling. You're a naked guy with some very specialized spells, restricted to set areas of the map.

There isn't any customizing your gear/strategy, any room for roleplay or diplomacy, you're just nabbing a couple of guys with a button push in maint before settling in to become a conversion assembly line in some closet somewhere.

Rounds were very samey.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #223874

i think the real problem with it was that it had progression, right

but the progression was instant

it went "jumpy conversion machine with marginal fighting power" straight into "unstoppable telepathic god rampage"

imo it should probably be a more gradual "stealthy conversion machine" ----> "increasingly fighting focused, objectives change from recruit people" ----> "unstoppable telepathic god"

the problem with it was that it's endgoal was just to convert the whole station and then ascend, so not only could it not really fight (IE, interact with the crew besides LoL-esque ambush) but it had no actual reason to at all because any fight it got into was mostly purposeless and presented a direct threat.

also, glowshrooms are pretty stupid i mean there's basically no way to deal with this shit so muh glowshrooms every round

basically if you were going to redo it i would:

refluff shadowlings as manifestations of entropy
give them an upgrade tree so they could attack the station in other ways including but not limited to
-degrade the engine
-destroy the power grid
-blow out lights
-freeze the air
-black out the stars (no more solar. maybe an objective)?
etc etc. give them an incentive and ability to play the game and interact with the station besides >ambush >convert >hide in closet >repeat
give them objectives that require them to fight and attack station systems or personnel on a large scale
give them abilities for above
scaling power directly based on lights on-station / near station (instead of converts, which have the effect already of being a boon because you have more converts)
make conversion superpowers reverse engineerable by science

you know etc etc just spitballing here
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #223882

It was just another conversion, antag vs station mode with damocles' sword hanging over everyone. Fun for a while until the novelty wore off.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #223889

Ohw and the fact that the post ascended ling was made snowflake invincible to the few threats that DID harm it initially was super lame, victory condition or not.

A ascended sling thinking; "I WON, I AM A GOD" and then getting blown apart by a bomb or sucked into a singularity were the most fun Sling rounds.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.