VR Thread

Talk about video games here
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Re: VR Thread

Post by J_Madison » #218085

Bottom post of the previous page:

Anon3 I challenge you to a pistol duel any map any pistol.
We'll see who's the boss of this gym.
Sabbat
Byond Username: Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #218092

Kor wrote:Do you want to join our tiny VR steam group that has never organized a game yet and try and play Onward some time Sabbat?
Maybe, I'm RollClassic on steam, though I stream the game most times I play but I could also not do that.
Kor wrote:Image

>Talking shit about the best vive game when you have not even played it
>He's a furry now

Also, legit talk though, I really have enjoyed Onward more than any other VR game so far, but when you get a team that doesn't communicate at all it can be kind of boring. Use your radio, call shit out, be a team, and it's pretty fun.

Also occasionally I'll just run around with my knife out and Rambo it which is amusing even if I only get a kill every 4 or so times I do it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #218356

I would've played it more myself but it kept fucking glitching out. The least stable game of all the VR stuff I've tried so far. Within the short time I spent playing it I fell through the floor into some kind of alternate hell dimension of pure nausea twice. When I attempted to do the movement tutorial the audio stacked up on itself and I was treated to a weird cacophony of a hundred disinterested sounding guys trying to explain how weapon selection and handling worked all a few seconds behind eachother in script.

I stand by what I said for the little bit of the game I did get to play and the videos I've watched of other people playing the game whom were able to make it work for them. It's a very basic concept that works only because it's new and novel and the very small community of VR owners have gathered around it. People will completely forget it and move on the instant the next VR milsim with slightly more polish comes out.

It's like the Wii Sports of VR. It proves the technology works and has legs but unless the devs get a massive influx of funding and go hard on bringing it out of EA with a ton more features, nobody will be playing it in six more months (well, unless of course VR totally dies and this is all we ever get for the hardware)
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #218358

Of course people will move on once new things (by bigger companies, especially come out).

But Onward had to innovate in a lot of ways by the very nature of VR being so early (figuring out inventory, controls, communication, even things as basic as how players move around without making them sick) and it's a fantastic experience right now, all made by a one man team for a platform that hasn't even been out for six months.

To say it's uninspired and doesn't take risks just seems bizarrely dismissive and insulting to a guy who is breaking new ground like this.
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #218377

Sounds like he played Subway, the map that bugs out for everybody but people still insist on playing (They would rather play a map where at least one person has to restart their game each time it's played, than the night time maps.)

I hate Subway, because after the nvidia driver update it lags like fuck which starts to make me nauseated if I move around too much, and also 50% of the time I fall through the ground.

Here's the thing though, there are no other "competitive" VR games right now. That is to say, they all use teleportation which instantly destroys the playability for me in a versus game. I've looked at a bunch of shooters and they're mostly co-op wave shooters, or teleport and spray a billion bullets games, this one is the first functionally "competitive" VR game. You have to... get good at it. Hell, getting good at the reloading is just another thing that makes somebody better than others.

Also I JUST learned something new last night about grenades. I didn't know you could pop the spoon off before throwing them in this game, when you're holding it and pull the pin, if you press down on the right thumb pad you'll pop off the spoon and start cooking it. I got my first intentional grenade kill because I learned that last night.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #218401

Yeah modern military multiplayer shooter truly inspired game design where do you get an idea like that from what a creative genius.
I hope he finds people who want to play games like that. It's a real risk he's taking here.

The inventory system is just the same shit from H3 with a chest rig arrangement instead of H3's virtual H-frame. H3 had been out for five months before Onward came out. I don't think he had to reinvent the wheel on that one. If you want to try a game with an actual unique inventory system check out The Gallery. It has a pouch thing you have to yank open and dig around in that's pretty cool.

I don't think Onward quite succeeds at creating a movement system that lets people move around without getting sick, either. It's just a matter of immersing yourself in it enough that it doesn't make you sick any longer. Teleportation doesn't work great for adversarial shooters but Onward's movement system crumbles into a pukey nightmare the instant you try to take a step in any direction roomscale while moving around with the touch pad. It definitely still needs work, but to be fair every game that attempts to move around that way suffers in the same manner. Vertigo is a great aptly named example.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #218407

Yet you like and promote Art of Fight. Interesting opinions.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #218409

Sabbat wrote:Yet you like and promote Art of Fight. Interesting opinions.
Sour grapes. Can't play without vomiting.
An0n3 wrote:Yeah modern military multiplayer shooter truly inspired game design where do you get an idea like that from what a creative genius.
I hope he finds people who want to play games like that. It's a real risk he's taking here.

The inventory system is just the same shit from H3 with a chest rig arrangement instead of H3's virtual H-frame. H3 had been out for five months before Onward came out. I don't think he had to reinvent the wheel on that one. If you want to try a game with an actual unique inventory system check out The Gallery. It has a pouch thing you have to yank open and dig around in that's pretty cool.

I don't think Onward quite succeeds at creating a movement system that lets people move around without getting sick, either. It's just a matter of immersing yourself in it enough that it doesn't make you sick any longer. Teleportation doesn't work great for adversarial shooters but Onward's movement system crumbles into a pukey nightmare the instant you try to take a step in any direction roomscale while moving around with the touch pad. It definitely still needs work, but to be fair every game that attempts to move around that way suffers in the same manner. Vertigo is a great aptly named example.
Dude has developer blogs for onward dating back nearly a year ago, and videos of him doing vr rifle control stuff 2 years back. Not like he just slapped multiplayer on H3 and flipped it on greenlight.

Not sure why you're so intent on shitting on a guy who's not even 20 who managed to put a fun (and so far unique) game together on his own. Especially odd since wild hogs was built around mil sim shit, thought you'd have been excited for this.

I mean yeah anyone in the world could have told you shooters in VR would sell, but so far he's the one who got off his ass and did it.

He's also super involved and open to feedback. Pushed a major update addressing shit I brought up within days of me making a post.

To each their own thoughts I guess. Onward won't last forever, but it saved the vive for me for now.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #218419

I desperately want a Vive but can't drop eight hundred dollarydoos on it at the moment.

I *do* have a PC that can handle it, which is nice, but I can't afford the actual headset.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #218451

Raw Data free weekend on steam. I'm not too interested but I'm still going to try it out.

Edit: Raw Data is not good.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #218474

I dont have a vendetta against anyone I just want you to take a realistic look at the game you fucking stooges.

Imagine what the game would be like if it didnt have VR. It would be just another tepid military shooter multiplayer online game of which there are actual hundreds.

You keep crediting Onward for being so new and creative and unique when that's 100% a product of the Vive platform and not Onward itself. The only reason anyone gives a shit about this particular game is:

A) VR is new
B) First to market for its subgenre
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #218476

again just imagine playing it with a mouse and keyboard instead

you wouldnt even bother
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #218524

Imagine playing an FPS with an analog stick and buttons that you only press with your thumbs.

Spoiler: Games are drastically different even in the same genre when played on a different medium. You ever seen somebody play a FPS with a controller? They're like retarded monkeys.

Now throw that genre into VR where you have to do everything manually, and it's completely different. There are already countless wave shooters on VR, but Onward is the first "competitive" one, and yes, it's popular because it's the only competitive shooter at the moment, but at the same time it's also -not bad- at it. It works for what it is, it does what it sets out to do pretty well.

You can't honestly say that what it's trying to do, it does poorly. Your arguments have been that you don't like the motion (I think), and that it's "unoriginal because it's a shooter".

Spoiler 2: VR games are going to have A LOT of shooters, it's just going to happen. While I'd love to see other genres getting good games, that's not really happening right now, not until VR gets cheaper and more mainstream.

Hell, I'm a huge fan of tanks, and I would absolutely love for there to be a VR tank game, but I don't see that happening for a really long time. That's a niche genre in a niche market, but once VR gets more popular sure, we'll see niche genres represented.

Tl;dr, calling it "unoriginal" is a bullshit argument as to why you don't like it, you can just say you don't like it or that it doesn't appeal to you. But people eat up much worse shit on the vive right now, like Raw Data even before the free weekend and that game is fucking awful.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #218627

You're playing a bad game with a great controller and calling the game great because you're too nearsighted to separate the two.

There's really nothing else to say. I have a fuck ton of fun playing H3 and like H3 a lot for being a sandbox thing but I still acknowledge that as a game it's total horseshit on the level of Gunstruction. The whole reason that experience is entertaining is because it's in VR, because I'm using this VR controller to do it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #218679

>if you remove key elements of something and shove it into another medium it ends up lacklustre

No shit. Hamilton probably isn't quite as good when you read it as a book either.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #218718

I was going to write a big explanation on this phenomenon and referencing how it's difficult to review lightgun games as an example of what you're experiencing but my point is over your head and you guys don't want to listen anyway.

Have fun with your game. It makes you happy and ultimately that's all that matters.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #219720

If you like Rick and Morty, I suggest you grab Accounting (It's free), it's about 30 minutes (Not a game, more an interactive cartoon) and it's hilarious if you like the Rick and Morty comedy style.

Justin Roiland helped make it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #221257

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #221314

nobody will pull off milsim VR until arma guys step up to the plate
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #221395

Should check out the Panoptic demo. Short, but it's a fun mixed reality party game. Local multiplayer like this is something I hope we see more of.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #221406

I'm just gonna start hiding my VR headset when we have people over now...

I feel like it would be exceedingly rude to ask if a guest has herpes or some communicable disease before letting them try it but at the same time I don't want to get herpes from some normie messing up my headset
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #221418

Consider domino masks or beauty mask type of protection.

Also VR makes me feel far too vulnerable. Can't see my CCTV systems or hear footsteps or doors opening.
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #221455

Maybe don't play VR while you're on duty as a security guard.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #221472

Mates clean your headsets so you don't get eye herpes
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #221872

The new SteamVR beta update adds Asynchronous Reprojection. Onward felt like it was a lot smoother, to me. People are reporting a lot of good things about it.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #222527

so, H3VR added a roguelike mode sorta out of nowhere, what do you guys think? I'm hopelessly confused in it and have no idea what the actual objectives are (I know you have to get three meat chunks but I have no idea what they look like), and I also have no idea how the robits health is tracked whether they just have a standard health pool or you have to deactivate all of their sensors. Anyone else played it?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #222534

As much as I want to play H3, can't afford it :V. Been waiting on some kind of sale. The new mode looks neat though.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #222557

I don't like the "meat grinder" thing they added. I'm having a lot more fun with arena mode vs. a bunch of manhacks and turret bots.

For starters they've seemingly accurately modeled the effect your small caliber ball or hollow point rounds will have against a sinister robot: fuck-all nothing. So when the game starts and you're given a pistol or whatever you can prettymuch just skip picking it up and take your melee weapon and flashlight instead. Until you find an assault rifle of some sort with higher-velocity FMJ rounds as the norm nothing you can wield really does anything against the guys you're fighting.

...which doesn't matter much anywho as you can just outrun them with even the slowest glide movement.

It's a really boring affair, then, of just sliding around this weird maze doing laps to stay ahead of killer bots you cant effectively combat while looking for random objects to turn into a loot lottery that will probably gift you something that does equally fucking nothing against the enemies you're supposed to be facing.

H3VR has some really fun stuff on offer. The Arena mode is fun, especially if you limit yourself to only pistols vs. Slicers. Can be kinda spooky, even, as you're struggling to reload your sidearm while you hear this loud grinding saw thing closing in on you. The grenade skeeball thing is a fun thing to do both by yourself and also as a party game or intro to VR. The moving target time-trial mode gets pretty intense and chasing the high scores is pretty tough. Good fucking luck with that, I think I'm in the top 20 WW for pistol?

Meat Grinder is not one of those things I would plug as a reason to purchase the game, let alone put on your VR shit and boot it up. Even if they rebalanced the enemies so your pistols could effectively stop them it would still be a ho-hum CAVE EXPLORER type thing that just isn't any fun.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #222587

An0n3 wrote:I hate everything.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #224192

It's mostly true.

I want a hunting and fishing game for VR.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224193

Anyone ever play Cabela's dangerous hunts? You hunted dangerous animals that could kill you. You could also forgo any sort of gun and just take a fucking machete instead and go hack a grizzly to pieces in a high stakes battle to the death.

I want to do that in VR
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #224196

I remember that one. The most hilarious/ridiculous of all hunting games. If you have never played a Cabela's game before dont start with that one but make it the second hunting game you ever play.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224201

The funny thing is I have never played any other hunting game than that one other than the lightgun arcade cabinet ones. Unless hunting kebab in the tanoan jungle counts
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #224409

They made one maybe two years ago that had the best ballistics of any game I ever played...

[youtube]ahQpZP1O204[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #224520

Oh yeah. That VR hunting game.

That's called "deer season" here. Honk.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #224555

That magical time of year when sabbat leaves his basement and roams the woods? Sounds more like queer season to me.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #225060

Bruh, where I live every season is queer season. Joke's on you though, I never leave my house.
Limey
Byond Username: Limed00d

Post by Limey » #225101

[youtube]IGtrJaiUZaA[/youtube]
check it
Usually plays as Aya Shameimaru, Remilia Scarlet or Rumia Kuroda depending.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #241222

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #241759

After having one for a few months I've concluded the most compelling and overall functional experience of VR to date is pornography and H-games.

VR has failed to achieve a substantive install base on the PC because of a lack of first-party support. The PSVR may fair a little better on the console market for two reasons:
A) It's a bit cheaper
B) It has Sony stepping up to the plate behind it and pushing for it

Maybe (un)surprisingly though the Adult industry has latched onto VR as a new frontier for adult content that they have a sort of functional monopoly on. VR represents a platform on which they get advantages in copy protection (VR films are too large in size to be streamed on free sites) and also market share (camwhores cannot afford the elaborate camera rigs required to record VR content).

The current VR adopters are people like us who have either large disposable incomes and like to try new things, or dick-wavers who have to latch onto the newest thing to stay in the cool kids club. While we do have an ability to spend a lot of money as individuals, there simply aren't enough of us to keep this platform alive.

However, pervert money is nearly limitless and there are plenty more people with deeper pockets willing to blow tons of money on a virtual sex machine. I think the real watershed moment for VR will be when someone figures out how to hook this thing up to Second Life, and then let two people fuck the shit out of eachother in VR space. Much like VHS and DVD the format will be legitimized and turned into a stable market when the adult purchaser has a reason to throw their money at it.

Until then we have this catch 22 where the hardware is not worth purchasing because it doesn't have enough quality games, and yet it's not worth throwing millions of dollars into developing a game for VR because only tens-of-thousands of people own them...so nobody is making quality games. It's ultimately not worth buying as a gaming platform because it doesn't have enough good games; it doesn't have good games because not enough people have bought it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #241816

Sci-fi predicts everything

[youtube]C7ANUIr50ts[/youtube]

[youtube]tqf-yZQOdPo[/youtube]
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #241858

We need games that take better advantage of the "space" of VR. The ability to be in an area and root around inside of it virtually.

We need more fully-fledged Myst type puzzle solving/adventure games. The "escape room" type stuff. Games like the Dangan Ronpa / Phoenix Wright / Etc. genre of investigating a crime scene or series of areas, trying to notice small details and find hidden troves of story items.

Arizona Sunshine does take a decent stride towards this in that you are wandering around in a decently sized game world and you have to stop to forage around through different containers and things around you looking for supplies. It's a good step forward.

VR allows game developers to break some of the "rules" for things like item placement in a game world. You wouldn't hide a story-critical object in a random desk drawer in a house in a game without some sort of clue pointing towards it, or making the desk look really important. You can't expect a regular player to be running up to every desk and cabinet and mashing the action button unless you've been seeding little trinkets like ink ribbons and what have you all over the place along the way. But now that we have VR tearing through containers and upending things searching for stuff is gameplay in and of itself. It's not just pressing a button and hoping we get a reward, VR has turned the action of searching through stuff into an engaging activity so you can start to do things like that, putting more objects behind things or under things or inside of things because most players are going to be happily tearing through everything they can get all the time.

In a Resident Evil game you might see a dead body and run up to it and press the X button and see if a thing popped out. It's a risky proposition to put something important in there because a player might just dismiss it as background stuff and walk right passed it. You accomplish this by making the body into an active zombie entity so it pops out of the background. Now the player knows to go over and search it, but also expects that after they get that item from it it will probably jump up off the ground as a jump scare (which in some games it does, and sometimes it doesn't).

In VR there is no pre-rendered backdrop so anything you put down anywhere is always going to look like something you could try to interact with. VR by its very nature encourages exploration and investigation of stuff. Putting a key item on that same corpse becomes very do-able as long as the player isn't pressed for time or threatened. They will eventually get to poking at it. The fear and threat that this thing might spring to life and do something while rummaging through it is inherently more powerful by nature of VR as is the effect on the player if it actually does.

tl;dr what a lot of games accomplish by just having the player slide along the walls while hammering the action button is now actually a whole gameplay element in and of itself. Games have caught on to this already in making reloading and handling guns feel good and be a real thing, item discovery and inventory management in VR I think are the next big target for making this stuff more compelling and unique to experience.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #241928

Remake of the original resident evil in first person VR when
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #242768

Malkevin wrote:Sci-fi predicts everything

[youtube]C7ANUIr50ts[/youtube]

[youtube]tqf-yZQOdPo[/youtube]
Man, I still need to see if they did anymore of Series X

As for the subject at hand, there will be plenty of time for improvement as the tech gets better. It's here to stay, but it's wings aren't fully spread yet.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #242843

I was literally just given a Samsung gear vr for no fucking reason already hate autocorrect trying to hook vr to my keksbocks 420 and so far no luck.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #242968

Send it my way, I could use one.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #242983

The samsung gear VR is just a chunk of plastic and some straps to hold a cellphone against your face.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #243031

I know

but so far its fun
Alien isolation is my main goal here.
Spoops for days.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #243054

I could still use one.
I'm sure there's something I can do with it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #243796

MrEousTranger wrote:I know

but so far its fun
Alien isolation is my main goal here.
Spoops for days.

Didn't know they updated Alien Isolation to be VR compatible?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270629

I know a 480/1060 is the "recommended" GPU for a modern VR setup, but is that "runs games with decent settings/some supersampling" or "bare minimum 90fps on lowest settings"?

I've gotta start saving up and wanted to know the price range I should be looking at because the Canadian dollar is literally 1:1 with monopoly money in value
Limey wrote:its too late.