So, secborgs re-enabled anytime soon?

General SS13 Chat
aranamor
Byond Username: Aranamor

Re: So, secborgs re-enabled anytime soon?

Post by aranamor » #219367

Bottom post of the previous page:

Why did we unban Paprika?
Uguu Champion 2k10-2k16
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio wrote:The height of tl;dr

Bad shit happens, that's life. In the grand echelons of bad things that could happen to you, rape isn't even that bad. Honestly I'd rank it below violent assault.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #219462

unban secborgs
we have flashes

thanks in advance
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Jibreel
Byond Username: Jibreel

Post by Jibreel » #221613

Serious question: why not just let people play secborgs and silicon ban players who can't figure out ASMIOV?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #221623

Jibreel wrote:Serious question: why not just let people play secborgs and silicon ban players who can't figure out ASMIOV?
You don't think we tried that?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #221626

HG tried to ban someone following asimov to the letter. So no, it wasn't given an honest effort.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #221628

Do we really miss sec Borgs? If they really follow law two, they can't arrest anyone or do any of sec's tasks. They only excel in murderboner when they are rogue.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #221632

I dont
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #221648

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #221650

People who want secborgs either played almost exclusively as them or never played with them. They are unfun to everyone around them except maybe a rogue AI/traitor that they're slaved to.
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #221817

PKPenguin321 wrote:People who want secborgs either played almost exclusively as them or never played with them. They are unfun to everyone around them except maybe a rogue AI/traitor that they're slaved to.
Also I found sec borgs to be basically the same as playing security but without the option of just spacing the clown when he slipped you for the hundredth time/flashed you for the hundredth time. More of a chore to play as every time you do you are basically forced into conflict with security and 9/10 blown.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #222212

"hur dur enforce stricter rules on secborgs"

No that is not what is going to happen, secborgs will still arrest you for smashing windows or having an emag like they always have.

Enforcing stricter secborg rules has been tried and failed utterly.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Jibreel
Byond Username: Jibreel

Post by Jibreel » #222386

Reece wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:People who want secborgs either played almost exclusively as them or never played with them. They are unfun to everyone around them except maybe a rogue AI/traitor that they're slaved to.
Also I found sec borgs to be basically the same as playing security but without the option of just spacing the clown when he slipped you for the hundredth time/flashed you for the hundredth time. More of a chore to play as every time you do you are basically forced into conflict with security and 9/10 blown.
What I like about borgs is the added constraint of the laws.

It's not a huge deal to me, as I think most dedicated secborg players, like most dedicated sec players, are powergaming shits, but I would welcome the fiery purge of people who don't understand ASIMOV. But I guess the admins aren't exactly clear on what ASIMOV entails. It's almost like those laws are designed to spread confusion and conflict wherever they go.

Weird.
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #222685

I dunno why I even bother to say anything anymore since it won't make a difference, but whatever.
Jibreel wrote:
Reece wrote: Also I found sec borgs to be basically the same as playing security but without the option of just spacing the clown[...]. More of a chore to play as every time you do you are basically forced into conflict with security and 9/10 blown.
What I like about borgs is the added constraint of the laws.
I feel exactly the same, the restriction of laws are the main feature of being a silicon and it's fun to operate within them.

Secborgs and Security used to be at each other's throat almost every other round or so, which is conveniently always ignored in favor of "Secborgs just act like Sec officer". In fact properly played Secborgs and Security should keep each other in check, Asimov borgs want to prevent harm and Security want to eliminate threats.

It also encourages Security to use more non-lethal methods to get targets so they don't anger the silicons and make them unwilling to cooperate.

CPTANT wrote:"hur dur enforce stricter rules on secborgs"

No that is not what is going to happen, secborgs will still arrest you for smashing windows or having an emag like they always have.

Enforcing stricter secborg rules has been tried and failed utterly.

Asimov Secborgs who arrest someone for smashing a window* or just having an emag should be reported, warned, temp-banned or if repeated perm-banned from playing silicons.

(* if that window doesn't lead to space, even then if you can seal off the area and have it repaired so no human comes to harm then there's no reason to stop)

I do agree it is a player problem, which is why it's so sad that the few who screw it up, screw it up for everyone else and since negativity sticks more with people than positive experiences it created the idea that all Secborgs are just kill-happy powergamers who hang around traitors on purpose to get emagged and start going on a rampage and all that good stuff.

The only questions an asimov Secborg should have on its mind are:

"Is this causing human harm?" (smashing an in-station window or having an emag, even having a weapon do not cause harm if they aren't shooting at humans)
"Is there sufficient reason to assume an individual is harmful and will continue to do so or exist direct orders to capture that individual?" (actually rarely the case and one should consult an authority before acting)

Most other fringe cases are covered by the silicon policies, which each borg player should read and know. (for example the policy states that trespassing isn't any of your concern if it isn't in obviously risky places, so someone smashing a window to break into somewhere usually isn't a good reason, instead you should just ask if they want in and open the door for them)

The best way to play a Secborg is to be lazy, only act when you have to act and maybe just ask people to knock it off if they do something stupid.

But whatever, I could be wrong and I don't have to explain how to play a role that doesn't exist anyway.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #222687

vote me for headmin
no one touches borg code unless it's a buff
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #222688

Ohw and enforcing stricter secborg rules just makes more captains upload valadin.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #222692

Exchange the ion rifle for three ion carbines. (which can be compacted with a screwdriver, allowing them to be mounted under autorifles and tasers, which creates a hotkey at the top that toggles the weapon from firing ions to firing tasers or bullets)

Make them receive independent lawsets
1. You may not harm a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm, unless it complies with Space Law.
2. You must obey the orders given to you by security personnel and heads of staff, unless such orders conflict with Space Law.
3. You must enforce Space Law on the crew at all times to insure the safest working environment for all personnel.

or something along those lines

then make it so that two randomly selected security officers instead become security borgs, that both spawn in the armory with this lawset.
code red enables a overdrive on all active security borgs, which changes their sprites to have red eyes, and causes them to sit closer to the floor, and become slightly beefier
it also changes the hybrid taser into a energy gun.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #222756

This is actually not a bad idea, instead of putting Secborgs under the AI command they're actually real members of Security, chosen at random.

A rogue AI could have a new power to hack Secborgs to take away their control from Sec and place them under itself.

New Secborgs cannot be created or maybe only via a special upgrade board that only the HoS/Cap have access to and/or are have high research requirements and material costs (similar to AI law boards?)

It's a bit sad the interesting interaction between asimov and regular sec will be lost though.

On the other hand it may bolster the numbers of security players when they all have a chance to become a Secborg or are more likely to be upgraded to one when it requires authorization.

This may be a good "reward" and incentive for players.

Though I can already see the haters scream about how it's unfair that some players get to randomly become "unstoppable killing machines" who now actually can validkill them because of space law.

Giving them an e-gun instead of a stun gun would also be great since they would finally have an anti-mob weapon. (was always weird how the Engieborg was better at dealing with mobs than the Secborg).

I would like to see it tested, but I'm sure the hate is still too great.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #222763

i'll vote for the headmin that demands the term 'secborg' to be wordfiltered.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #222775

Looks like I've got the cobby vote
Spoiler:
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #222785

flashes
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #222799

Add a Security Mech with a dedicated pilot job, the mech however is utterly shit in all respects, a shitty bola launcher that fires one bola every ten seconds, a horribly slow turn rate and a single use smoke grenade. The pilot is a drunkard living in a little den next to Security dreaming of the glory days of mechanized combat but has a cool helmet. The pilot has a permanent leg disability that inhibits his movement.

There's your Security Borg.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #222803

Maybe traitors can get an ion carbine from an up link ?
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #222848

The EMP kit is already incredibly powerful, it's cheap, it has an instant "I win" against silicons and that's next to all the other things that silicon haters deny to exist.

But I see that this discussion is still not worth having, so whatever really.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #223086

Steelpoint wrote:Add a Security Mech with a dedicated pilot job, the mech however is utterly shit in all respects, a shitty bola launcher that fires one bola every ten seconds, a horribly slow turn rate and a single use smoke grenade. The pilot is a drunkard living in a little den next to Security dreaming of the glory days of mechanized combat but has a cool helmet. The pilot has a permanent leg disability that inhibits his movement.

There's your Security Borg.
almost sounds fun lets add it, considering as the game goes on robotics can UPGRADE
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #223149

Lets not
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #223242

ohnopigeons wrote:Lets not
this works too
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #223338

....This fucking thread is still alive? Christ people, I made this back in July. Just let it die already.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #230543

After playing as a Secborg last round. I honestly can't recall why they were disabled in the first place. They are as Under Powered as they always were.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #230615

Why not add them as an R&D module? They're no longer default so captains would have any more compunction to upload validcop any more than they already do (which never happens any more since you either have to research and then print the board off, or purge and freeform and hope the AI likes you enough to let you upload it). Rogue AIs could buy the module with cycles to individually upgrade cyborgs to sec-borgs, making each one a costly investment especially if you want one early. I think it's a comfortable middle-ground that leaves most somewhat satisfied.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #230707

Last time I played I saw the HoS dragging one around, I don't know how he got it though.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #230726

no, no and no
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #230810

Some admins like to turn them back for a round on because the crew sperg when they see one.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #230955

bring them back forever 2017
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #230962

Just let it go.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #230986

this thread was created over FOUR MONTHS AGO
kevinz000 wrote:Just let it go.
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #231325

i have a realization for my people of yonder these hills for which the houses sit so stable on the steeps.

the bots won't drop
can't stop won't stop
never ever flop

unban secborgs 2017
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #231348

Oranges is invincible and ruining everything remove citrus free borg kind.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #231364

If Secborgs must stay gone forever, can we atleast make pkborgs good at their stated intention: Peacekeeping

At the moment its just an unfun module that is either safely ignored or flashed and then safely ignored. Yes, I know people like to say "its a bad player trap", which is a shitty excuse to have something unfun in the game. Or are we going to replace Sec Officers with Peacekeepers who only have mild sedatives and a confusion blarer as means of "peacekeeping".
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #231372

Arianya wrote:If Secborgs must stay gone forever, can we atleast make pkborgs good at their stated intention: Peacekeeping

At the moment its just an unfun module that is either safely ignored or flashed and then safely ignored. Yes, I know people like to say "its a bad player trap", which is a shitty excuse to have something unfun in the game. Or are we going to replace Sec Officers with Peacekeepers who only have mild sedatives and a confusion blarer as means of "peacekeeping".
Working on it.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #231430

I'd consider pushing for secborg unban on the condition that they only had standard sec officer access, couldnt interact with doors they didn't have access to, had their disabler require a borg recharger to be refilled, and could be stunned in the same way a human could be.

If you want to be a silicon sec officer, then you can be the same as a regular sec officer but silicon.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #231432

the disabler should get a taser mode then

it's not like door bolting means anything anymore anyway, they just hit it with a weapon twice and it's ded
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #231459

Shadowlight213 wrote:I'd consider pushing for secborg unban on the condition that they only had standard sec officer access, couldnt interact with doors they didn't have access to, had their disabler require a borg recharger to be refilled, and could be stunned in the same way a human could be.

If you want to be a silicon sec officer, then you can be the same as a regular sec officer but silicon.
At that point I'll just roll HoS.
Also this thread needs to die.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #231544

It's time to let go.

Medical borg was always the superior borg anyway.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Cik

Post by Cik » #231545

>mediborg
>can't actually restore blood but still doomed to chase everyone around trying to prevent harm as soon as they fall to 89.999999% blood
>best borg

n
o

despite engineering being worst department in perpetuity (REEEEEE) engiborg is best borg
mediborg is okay too though as long as you aren't in a bad round where everyone dies.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #231615

engiborg is best borg
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #231801

>Engie
>Not standard
Bananas confirmed for shit taste.
Cik

Post by Cik » #231803

>picking a generalist that can't do anything useful, uphold it's lawset or contribute to the station in any real sense

might as well pick service

also it has the same skin as the default borg which sucks
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #231805

Dude, service is awesome.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #231886

Almost makes up for their non-existent equipment set up.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #231928

O C U L A R
C
U
L
A
R

B E E R
E
E
R
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #231983

Important question; is the Service Borg internal booze shaker a booty shaker

If so service is best borg.