Omega Station

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Omega Station

Post by Okand37 » #236472

With the addition of Delta Station being merged into the codebase (map here) and only being left with minor bugs and oversights to fix, I've decided to begin construction on a new station...

Omega Station

While Delta Station was added to accommodate populations larger than what box or meta could carry, Omega Station is quite the opposite and is intended as a lowpopulation map for crowds similar to fit on ministation or birdboat. The head of staff population will be limited to one captain and one head of personnel along with an AI. Regular job slots, such as medical doctors, engineerings, security officers and more will be lowered to accommodate the low station size.

Omega Station is currently merged; any issue reports, bugs, oversights or ideas are more than welcome to be posted below!
Last edited by Okand37 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: Omega Station

Post by danno » #236478

why do wonderful trash bins always have to be confined to lowpop stations that never get played :(
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Lakart
Byond Username: Lakart

Post by Lakart » #236524

I'm guessing you're aiming for like 15-25 people shifts.

I feel like it could benefit from xenobio(might inspire a frequent goal of swapping out the batteries in all the apcs with yellow slime cores because it's not that big) and gulag for security(assuming people ACTUALLY SET POINT AMOUNTS or that prisoners actually try to escape to mining).
danno

Post by danno » #236527

I think the gulag could be a good idea; Perhaps make the gulag the only option as opposed to having a permabrig, encouraging security to have prisoners work off gulag sentences and return to their jobs afterwards due to the low population.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #236586

>Omega Station
>Links to a file called cometstation.png

You can't hide the lies from me Okand.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #236601

Gee okand! Why does MSO let you have TWO maps?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #236619

God I love so much about this map
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236621

danno wrote:why do wonderful trash bins always have to be confined to lowpop stations that never get played :(
Trash bins generally aren't overly convenient opposed to disposal bins.
Lakart wrote:I'm guessing you're aiming for like 15-25 people shifts.
I feel like it could benefit from xenobio(might inspire a frequent goal of swapping out the batteries in all the apcs with yellow slime cores because it's not that big) and gulag for security(assuming people ACTUALLY SET POINT AMOUNTS or that prisoners actually try to escape to mining).
Shifts would probably aim anywhere from ~20-30 and below.

I planned to include a small, three celled xenobiology area as its one of the important science jobs, opposed to the experimentor which can be dropped off and toxins, because it makes little sense to have toxins bombs on a station that you could destroy the entirety of with just a single run of toxins. I don't really aim to put the gulag on such a lowpopulation station, and there isn't any permabrig either, just a few cells as you can see.
TheColdTurtle wrote:Gee okand! Why does MSO let you have TWO maps?
I'm sure anyone else could make more maps if they wanted to, its just I have nothing better to do and I enjoy it, so I am making more! Soon I'll monopolise the whole rotation with phonetic alphabet stations! Bwuahuhauha! (not really, I love variety and having all the maps from one sole developer is boring)
Atlanta-Ned wrote:God I love so much about this map
Glad you like it!
Jordie0608 wrote:>Omega Station
>Links to a file called cometstation.png

You can't hide the lies from me Okand.
I was initially going to name it cometstation, but I realise this would require me to make it icey, and there's no proper mineable snow rocks to my knowledge, so I decided to continue on the trend of the phonetic alphabet and use Omega.
danno

Post by danno » #236623

Sure yeah but having one in maint means you can pull it around and jump inside it and be a trash man
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #236627

But without gulag or perma, my only option for antagonists is execution, or release- which isn't always an option. I really prefer perma, especially on lowpop when there might be three, tops, to executing antagonists since they're there to make the round interesting.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236629

BeeSting12 wrote:But without gulag or perma, my only option for antagonists is execution, or release- which isn't always an option. I really prefer perma, especially on lowpop when there might be three, tops, to executing antagonists since they're there to make the round interesting.
Take a look at any other low population map, considerably ministation or birdboat, and you'll notice neither of them really boast a permanent or off station security area. Birdboat does have a stronger cell, which I might make, but the entirety of it is only meant to include the essentials.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236741

Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #236758

Oh god is that a supermatter. On a small station. Because I very much like where that is going.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236957

Added the library, primary tool storage, and some more of the asteroid/maintenance areas, finished dormitories. (updated OP)
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #237894

Updated OP with up to date picture of the station. Just need to add a chapel somewhere, more or less. Might replace library with the chapel or add it on the other side of arrivals?
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #237918

There seems to be no place the white ship could go, intentional?
You may want to remove that chunk of rock next to the admin shuttle to accommodate other shuttle designs without having them embedded in the asteroid. Depending on where the docking port is placed you could also have rotational issues with most of the designs facing the wrong way.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #237954

Jordie0608 wrote:There seems to be no place the white ship could go, intentional?
You may want to remove that chunk of rock next to the admin shuttle to accommodate other shuttle designs without having them embedded in the asteroid. Depending on where the docking port is placed you could also have rotational issues with most of the designs facing the wrong way.
I keep forgetting the white ship exists. I'll extend the dock a bit and put an airlock on it, but most lowpop stations don't generally have the white ship (to my knowledge?)
Shortened down the chunk of rock to fit for a standard centcom ferry. I'll try to put the dock in a way that it accomodates a regular centcom ferry, but its not often that I see another admin changing the ferry if at all.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #238294

Omega Station!
(full-scale viewable picture above ^)

Aside from finishing the navigation system and camera networks, Omega Station is now done!

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #238297

Well, the floor tiles look incomplete or inconsistent in places (command/det quarters), but that aside 9/10 would bomb.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #238306

Finally a decent lowpop map.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
roadrage
Byond Username: Roadrage150

Post by roadrage » #238370

Can't wait to get to play on this map. Looks great.

A couple of suggestions, though. Supermatter chamber could use reinforced floors. Unless of course you're using the weaker floor as a safety to prevent accidents. I finally figured out how to blow the one on delta up without melting the floor, but it's a pain. Especially once the engine is running.

And, not a big deal, but I don't see any way to vent the scrubber loop to space. That can be handy when you've got a fire and you don't want superheated gas filtering back into the tanks, as it can break the glass if the tank gets hot enough. It looks like it would be a pain to implement, due to the location and compact nature of atmos.

Keep up the good work.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #238984

Omega Station is now currently merged! Hooray!

Bit of a side note is that the camera network is not fully complete, and the navigation beacon system is not implemented. Everything else should be working accordingly! Feel free to post bug reports, issues, oversights and ideas here!
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #239182

DemonFiren wrote:Well, the floor tiles look incomplete or inconsistent in places (command/det quarters), but that aside 9/10 would bomb.
I did end up changing the command seat tables from wooden to reinforced and made the flooring to match the rest, but I'm not sure in what way you find the other offices inconsistent. The mix of wood flooring and carpet over the top along with light grey is intentional.
CPTANT wrote:Finally a decent lowpop map.
Glad to hear you like it!
roadrage wrote:Can't wait to get to play on this map. Looks great.

A couple of suggestions, though. Supermatter chamber could use reinforced floors. Unless of course you're using the weaker floor as a safety to prevent accidents. I finally figured out how to blow the one on delta up without melting the floor, but it's a pain. Especially once the engine is running.

And, not a big deal, but I don't see any way to vent the scrubber loop to space. That can be handy when you've got a fire and you don't want superheated gas filtering back into the tanks, as it can break the glass if the tank gets hot enough. It looks like it would be a pain to implement, due to the location and compact nature of atmos.

Keep up the good work.
I ended up changing the flooring on omega and delta's supermatter engines to reinforced. I might look into setting up an emergency scrubber loop, however! Glad to hear you are enjoying it otherwise!
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #239449

We managed two test rounds on sybil with a player count of roughly estimating 40 and it managed to fit them all! Woohoo! There weren't any bugs/complaints relating to the map in the two testplays, so that's good! If you have any bug reports, issues, ideas or oversights feel free to post!
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #240488

Needs a biohazard locker in xenobiology, or at least a bio bag.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #240810

Needs a nuke, the doomsday device isn't the same thing

needs swarmer spawn points

needs button facilitation basically
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #240814

I don't approve of how the engine, gravity, tcomms, and atmos are so close together with the asteroid biting so far in the upper left corner. One decent bomb snuggled up next to the wall and everything is gone.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #241067

Brig cell display messages say "brig2" instead of "Cell 2"
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Hatfish
Byond Username: Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #241074

ORM is not oriented properly, ores feed into the top instead of into the side.
Central hallway loses power every round.
Robotics doesn't have an R&D console.
R&D doesn't receive messages when the ORM receives ore.
There isn't a disposals system.

I don't think this map was rotation-ready, a lot of people have been complaining about its lack of functionality on Sybil.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #241077

Hatfish wrote:ORM is not oriented properly, ores feed into the top instead of into the side.
Central hallway loses power every round.
Robotics doesn't have an R&D console.
R&D doesn't receive messages when the ORM receives ore.
There isn't a disposals system.

I don't think this map was rotation-ready, a lot of people have been complaining about its lack of functionality on Sybil.
I'll take a look at the ORM and central hallway.
I'll add an R&D console.
There is no intended disposals system, trash bins exist.

It was not meant to be in rotation, however, merely something that can be forced to for testing purposes. I'll look into that later today.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #241095

trash bins are great for small maps :+1:
Techbane
Byond Username: Munkee79

Post by Techbane » #242918

Just popped in to say I love the feel of the map overall and it's great for a smaller crew, but there's a handful of odd missing links in the infrastructure. There are wiring errors at:

Primary Hallway (147, 135) - no knot
Central Primary Hallway (165, 115) - no knot
Brig (134, 165) - no wire running to the terminal
Head of Personnel's Office (170, 172) - missing wire under the door
Departure Lounge (~182, 145) - no wires connecting the main circuit to the internal one

and there's a missing T-pipe in the Atmospherics Maintenance at 134, 155 that cuts off vent output to the entire station.

Anyway, back to playing Russian roulette with my buds.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #243227

I dunno if someone said this already, but the sm shard should be made the shard version, instead of the crystal, as the crystal's explosion radius is almost 3 times as big, and when the map is very small it'll take out a huge amount of the station as opposed to just engineering.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #243233

kevinz000 wrote:I dunno if someone said this already, but the sm shard should be made the shard version, instead of the crystal, as the crystal's explosion radius is almost 3 times as big, and when the map is very small it'll take out a huge amount of the station as opposed to just engineering.
Higher stakes comrade. Higher stakes.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Techbane

Post by Techbane » #243240

Speaking of, is there some sort of exact science to setting up this engine that I'm missing? I can usually get a round started without delaminating it, but sometimes it off-gasses plasma (which is usually a good sign), sometimes it doesn't (which is a bad sign), and sometimes I need to leave the emitter on to sustain energy production whereas other times that inevitably destabilizes it. I'm also not sure what purpose is served by the lower filter loop hooked up to the two freezers.

The ore redemption machine on this map doesn't seem to work either.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #243254

kevinz000 wrote:I dunno if someone said this already, but the sm shard should be made the shard version, instead of the crystal, as the crystal's explosion radius is almost 3 times as big, and when the map is very small it'll take out a huge amount of the station as opposed to just engineering.
It is the shard, just modified to use the crystal icon.
We don't actually have the supermatter crystal (besides its sprites), only the shard.
Our port wasn't a full/direct port.

Our version of super matter also has these differences to /vg/'s:
  • N2 is half as effective on our SM
  • Produces half the Heat, Half the Plasma and Half the Oyxgen
  • Produces half the overall power
These aren't Crystal vs. Shard difference, these are just straight up /tg/ vs. /vg/ differences.
私は完璧
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #243848

Minor thing: chemistry needs a screwdriver to finish their grenades.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Techbane

Post by Techbane » #247789

Finally figured out that the ore redemption machine isn't working because its "dir" value was modified to 8, rather than the "output_dir" value. Setting the values to

dir=2 (might not matter either way)
input_dir=4
output_dir=8

fixes it.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #249519

Botany has a plant gene splicer machine.

They do not have any plant data discs.

Plz fix.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #249556

The disks spawn in the botanist closets.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #249929

Technically speaking if your going off the phonetic alphabet this should be named EchoStation just saying.
Techbane

Post by Techbane » #250789

One thing I absolutely cannot figure out about this map is what is wrong with arrivals. It starts off fine, but it and the HoP's bedroom are pretty much always the first places to be compromised by space debris, and the arrivals hallway will continue venting air endlessly even after being patched back up.
Shadowizard
Byond Username: Shadowizard23

Post by Shadowizard » #251575

Some thoughts just looking at some of the engineering sections:
  • Engine is set up wrong. All of the pumps are facing the wrong way. There should be canisters instead of air scrubbers
  • Powernet is WEIRD. Either a mouse chewed a wire in a nigh-inaccessible spot or it's not setup right. Central hallway and arrivals hallway are unpowered
  • Power monitor in the room next to the engine (not the SMES one) is inoperable
I was really looking forward to this for my (very)small server, as they axed ministation in favor of it. If it doesn't get fixed soon we'll probably have to switch to a bigger map. In any case, it seems like it has a lot of potential!
Adam Twelve
Shadowizard
Byond Username: Shadowizard23

Post by Shadowizard » #251957

Specifically, the APC's for the central hall and primary hall areas need power nodes. There is no connecting wire to the security office APC. The HoP APC isn't connected to the rest of the grid.The power lines to the Escape APC aren't connected to the rest of the grid. If I see anything else I'll let you know.
Adam Twelve
Techbane

Post by Techbane » #252692

I actually pointed those out further up, but in the interim I've edited the map myself for the short term to fix the following:

- All the missing wiring to APC's
- Missing air pipe just outside of atmos that was cutting off vent output to the whole station
- Input/output settings on the ore redemption machine
- R&D console in robotics so research can be synced
- Extra security cameras in xenobio so the console actually allows you to interact with the slime enclosures (there's some way to do it without extra cameras as evidenced by the default boxstation setup, but damned if I can figure out how)
- Expanded xenobio by 1 tile southwards to make room for a bio closet and sink
- Screwdriver in chem lab
- Defib in medical closet
- Replaced botany chest with a botany closet so that DNA disks are provided
- Swapped one fridge in the kitchen so the station starts out with some rice and flour, also deleted the chef's hat and apron because there are plenty in the cooler closet
- Extra toolbelt in engineering
- Replaced a couple racks with tables, probably other minor changes I'm forgetting

Probably the biggest remaining issue is that the HoP's bedroom and the entire arrivals corridor tend to get blown out very early in a round due to glass construction and not much to shield them from debris. There also doesn't seem to be a great deal of air in reserve, so it doesn't take much decompression before the whole station runs out of clean air.

Unfortunately I am not versed in how to use the SS13 map compilation tools to optimize git changes, nor is it my map to be screwing with in the first place, but given the lack of official updates I guess I could dropbox my version or something if people are interested.

As for the engine setup, it works fine for me now as-is, I just push the scrubbers out of the way and repurpose the depleted N2 tanks. Then I crank all the pumps to maximum, set both filters to plasma (though I'm not sure the freezer loop is even needed, given the space-cooling loop), and leave the emitter turned on once circulation is going. The REALLY KIND OF IMPORTANT thing that I was overlooking before is that you have to go to the air controls and set scrubbers 2, 3, and 4 (the ones in the supermatter chamber) to siphon mode, or at least filter plasma and N2. Otherwise the whole cycle just gets jammed in the chamber and delamination quickly follows.
Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #253981

Engineering has only one pair of insulated gloves.
There's no engivend or youtool in engineering either.
The chaplain's doors are all reinforced for god knows what reason.
The APCs STILL don't work.

I'd like to remind everyone that ministation died for this unfinished piece of shit.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #254007

Hatfish wrote:I'd like to remind everyone that ministation died for this unfinished piece of shit.
1. Rude?

2. Thank god
Limey wrote:its too late.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #254133

Hatfish wrote:Engineering has only one pair of insulated gloves.
There's no engivend or youtool in engineering either.
The chaplain's doors are all reinforced for god knows what reason.
The APCs STILL don't work.

I'd like to remind everyone that ministation died for this unfinished piece of shit.
Ministation was well on its way to the grave, Omega had very little to do with that POS kicking the bucket.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #254249

Ministation was complete, something that cannot be said of this map currently.
Techbane

Post by Techbane » #254266

Okay, until such time as the creator returns and I am denounced for my blaspheming ways, I suppose I'll post my tweaked version for people to try playing with. Most notably it fixes power lines to APC's and air distro from atmospherics, as well as everything listed in my post above, some suggestions from the thread, and a MASSIVE list of things I tackled just this morning. Hopefully the map is mostly ready to play seriously now, and I included a plaintext quickstart guide for setting up the supermatter engine.

Download

I think the biggest caveat at this point is just that it still needs more security cameras.
Last edited by Techbane on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.