Telescience & Coordinate Maps - Now for NTSL!

General SS13 Chat
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Re: Telescience & Coordinate Maps

Post by kosmos » #42198

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'm pretty sure the only ones complaining about these tools know how to read the code and have probably made their own telescience excel sheets already and are only afraid of people getting even with them.
To the people who think this should be removed: how is this any different than reading the code and seeing how the game works from there?

And it's not just about telescience, this situation could be applied to anything on the game (e.g. armor stats, chemistry formulas). By forbidding tools, you're just making it a little more difficult to learn the game, forcing people to look at the code. This would ultimately just make a huge gap between code-illiterate-newbies who don't know anything vs. code-reading-robusters who know everything. And if this is the tool that takes it "too far", isn't the wiki a tool of sorts as well? How is this a different tool, and where should we draw the line?

It's either 1) an open-source game and all possible things go to the wiki for everyone to see. Tools such as this and the wiki can be used.
Or 2) goon-style, we make the source closed and moderate the wiki and forums heavily for secrets not getting given away.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #43017

Fuck, I made my telescience map from looking at the code maps. And speaking as an software engineering student, the goddamn recalculation math is so fucking obnoxious, that if that app hadn't already existed, I would have written one myself.

The problem is that without such apps, telescience is literally useless.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #43984

Cheridan wrote: The issue is that a this kind of thing is a requirement for telesci.
Ok, I have to state that this isn't true and that I never intended that you needed to do math to use telescience. You get enough tries to viably bruteforce it, all you have to know is how far something is and which angle it to the telepad. When I telescience I don't use a map or a spreadsheet and I manage to raid the armoury, engineering and many other places.

The rotation is the following, 0 is north, 90 is east, 180 is south and 270 is west; because of the random factor this won't be perfect so you'll have to adjust for it when bruteforcing.

The furthest distance you can go with the angle is 45 degrees. If you want to teleport closer then you should keep setting angle to a lower value, the lower the closer; no point setting it higher as it'll have the same result but will take longer.

I recommend only changing the power when setting the angle to 45 isn't far enough.

The GPS is the best tool you have as it tells you where your teleport goes to, you can use this to make adjustments easily. If you can't get to where you want in 20+ tries then I don't know what to say.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44127

Giacom wrote:
Cheridan wrote: The issue is that a this kind of thing is a requirement for telesci.
Ok, I have to state that this isn't true and that I never intended that you needed to do math to use telescience. You get enough tries to viably bruteforce it, all you have to know is how far something is and which angle it to the telepad. When I telescience I don't use a map or a spreadsheet and I manage to raid the armoury, engineering and many other places.

The rotation is the following, 0 is north, 90 is east, 180 is south and 270 is west; because of the random factor this won't be perfect so you'll have to adjust for it when bruteforcing.

The furthest distance you can go with the angle is 45 degrees. If you want to teleport closer then you should keep setting angle to a lower value, the lower the closer; no point setting it higher as it'll have the same result but will take longer.

I recommend only changing the power when setting the angle to 45 isn't far enough.

The GPS is the best tool you have as it tells you where your teleport goes to, you can use this to make adjustments easily. If you can't get to where you want in 20+ tries then I don't know what to say.
>bruteforcing trig values
A4Brogan
Byond Username: A4Brogan

Post by A4Brogan » #54674

From my experience on Goonstation, its considered okay for people to use the calculator. That is because they have adventuring areas that make telesci a secondary use besides wreckin' the station's/gamemode's shit.

Hell, if we could make some areas that are exclusive to telesci, or link them with the away missions, I think we could do something really cool with it. Although I do not think we can top the Solarium Quest. Maybe something like Holiday "Eventures" or actually jumping into alternate realities.

We could also add more synergy with mining, as an emergency item/weapon/medivac unit. Seriously, if I had the patience, I would be using telesci to back up the guys who supply my R&D team.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #59455

Thanks to the fancy new NTSL trig functions, I've finally ported the entire tool to NTSL.

It works exactly the same as the regular tool, only with text-based commands instead of buttons. It also may have to spread bruteforcing over several runs of the script, thanks to the limits on NTSL.

But hey, no complains about external programs anymore!

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/EGDZRFFX

Also updated the OP with the full code.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Telescience & Coordinate Maps - Now for NTSL!

Post by Luke Cox » #59456

People are bitching about this, but what they should be bitching about is the fact that we even need a calculator like this to do basic telescience.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #59471

You're some kind of mathamagician braincake
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #59684

Mathamagician for doing high school grade trig? Hmph.
The real props should be for porting that to NTSL, good work on that.
私は完璧
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #60159

Braincake wrote:Thanks to the fancy new NTSL trig functions, I've finally ported the entire tool to NTSL.

It works exactly the same as the regular tool, only with text-based commands instead of buttons. It also may have to spread bruteforcing over several runs of the script, thanks to the limits on NTSL.

But hey, no complains about external programs anymore!

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/EGDZRFFX

Also updated the OP with the full code.
Now its fucking useless. They removed telesci and made it require plasma 5
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Braincake

Post by Braincake » #60160

Yep, but it was fun while it lasted.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #60234

Remie Richards wrote:Mathamagician for doing high school grade trig? Hmph.
The real props should be for porting that to NTSL, good work on that.
99% of the kids who go through that class forget all of it the summer afterwards, even if they pass
there is absolutely 0 practical reason to carry that knowledge unless you want to be an actual mathematician or some sort of programmer
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #60270

Trigonometry is a really important branch of mathematics. If you want to study any exact science, you'll run into it sooner or later.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #60441

Trig is one of the only important parts of math, really.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #60764

"Guise AI is rogue"
*People instaTP a bomb in front of the AI with spot on accuracy and kill it*
Braincake

Post by Braincake » #60875

Violaceus wrote:It's easier to use external resources.
This is very much true. I only ported it as a sort of proof-of-concept that it doesn't neccessarily have to be external, because there is an internal (shitty, annoying, limited) scripting language instead.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #248337

Anyone have a valid link for the calculator still?
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #248338

TWO YEARS AGO.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #248354

Never forget.
Freedom
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #248384

It's always been on the wiki page for telescience anyway.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #270696

it seems like the coordmaps got messed up in those 2 years. are they downloadable still
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #270706

NTSL was too beautiful for this world.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #270760

adamkad1 wrote:it seems like the coordmaps got messed up in those 2 years. are they downloadable still
Just download the code and open the maps in dream maker
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #271130

I still have the calculator
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #271132

It would be weird if you didn't
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.