Mindswap as a non-antagonist on non-antagonists

sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Mindswap as a non-antagonist on non-antagonists

Post by sirnat » #253008

Just had a wizard round, where the wizard summoned spell books and it gave someone or a group of people the spell "Mindswap".

A player decided to mind-swap me as I was the HoS (Nothing lead up to it, they ran up to me in the bridge while I was getting access on my ID) I ahelp about how the said person I doubt was an antag (They weren't) and was told the admin can't do much because of the very little/vague rules on using Mind swap as an non-antag on non-antagonists.

So please, can we get some ground rules for people doing this to grief? Atleast treat it as breaking rule 1 and being an outright dick to someone to steal all of their things/attempt to.

Also to note, the person who mind-swapped was called out to have a lynch mob on them (For some reason, I only saw it in common once) so I'm assuming they attempted to mindswap to avoid being killed and instead force another player out of the round.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Mindswap as a non-antagonist on non-antagonists

Post by Saegrimr » #253010

Murder.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #253013

Saegrimr wrote:Murder.
But then everyone else just see's someone murdering someone else and 90% of the time dont ask "Why are you doing dat thing to them?" For you to say "He mindswapped me" but then they probably wouldn't believe you.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #253015

then you lose. Welcome to wizard rounds, grab some popcorn and enjoy deadchat.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #253016

Still needs to have some ground rules on being a non-antag and using mindswap on other non-antagonists just because you get it from random spells event.
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #253021

No there really doesn't need to be a rule for this.

The only applicable rule here is rule 10.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #253025

I love rule 10
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #253033

Yeah, rule 10 still this regards breaking rule one, Dont be a dick. If you're a non antagonist, why are you using mind swap in the first place on someone you know is obviously not an antagonist. Thats what needs to be discussed, whether or not being given the random spell book allows you to just use said spell on random people.

If we're going with the rule 10 logic, that just means you can go around killing people with fireball spell you get from the spellbook doesn't it?

>Mindswapping someone means taking all of their belongings and basically getting away scott free because there's no way to prove someone mind swapped you.
>Killing people with lethal spells you get as a non antag, and kill random people means taking them out of the round.

Mind swapping someone is basically saying, "Fuck you, I'm going to use this spell to take all the shit you're doing and put it to a halt, and almost take you out of the round, but you're still technically playing so I can't get banned for it."
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #253037

the logic is, why do we have code that lets antags give spells to nonantags to cause chaos but then have rules that tell people to not use those spells

this isn't a policy thing, it's a code problem, people who get spells should just be given antag, same with people who get guns but don't get survivalist
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #253040

If the code made everyone it gave spells/guns to an antag then everyone would be an antag and sec could just go on a murderous valid hunting rampage.

Getting mindswap/fireball etc isn't a bad thing as a non-antag, because you can fuck over the wiz using it or do like oldman did and mindswap the slaughter demon.

But in my case, getting mindswapped by a non-antag for absolutely no reason other than "Lol i want to be you and ruin your round" is stupid and needs to have rules/policy on making people actually not be a dick.

How is it already not breaking rule 1 to do so?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #253043

it doesn't have to be a full antag license

it can be done similar to abductor antag licenses, where they can be shits by abducting but not kill or grief
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #253048

imblyings wrote:the logic is, why do we have code that lets antags give spells to nonantags to cause chaos but then have rules that tell people to not use those spells

this isn't a policy thing, it's a code problem, people who get spells should just be given antag, same with people who get guns but don't get survivalist
Non-antag gun recievers are targets for gun theft and crew who should mostly keep doing their job. Can;t have literally everyone abandon job to shoot shit eh?
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #253124

imblyings wrote:the logic is, why do we have code that lets antags give spells to nonantags to cause chaos but then have rules that tell people to not use those spells

Summon spells creates a few antags, I think the idea is that those who don't get antag may use their spells to focus on hunting down the wizard, thus creating a downside to the spell. Whereas if everyone got antag, the station would devolve into utter chaos and the spell would become too OP
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #253137

If you get mindswap'd go hunt down and kill the faggot that did it, especially if the crew was already aggro on them, don't go sobbing to admins about the big meanie that stole your face.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #253142

Fuck off, I love mind swapping fucking every one and watching the chaos.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #253157

Haevacht wrote: Non-antag gun recievers are targets for gun theft and crew who should mostly keep doing their job. Can;t have literally everyone abandon job to shoot shit eh?
>hey sucks to be you you're the unlucky chum who didn't roll survivalist, your role is to """do your job""""" in a round that will end any second but we also want you to stand around and get shot

That's not how it really works, most people go ';fucking wizards' and stop doing their jobs and mill around until the round ends. Not all survivalists stop doing their job either, some people don't become psychopaths and do protect their department gimmicks with their guns despite antag status. I deal with the lowest common denominator but even then I believe there are enough nice players on this server that making everyone antag wouldn't ruin the round further than a wizard summoning guns already does.
Grazyn wrote: Summon spells creates a few antags, I think the idea is that those who don't get antag may use their spells to focus on hunting down the wizard, thus creating a downside to the spell. Whereas if everyone got antag, the station would devolve into utter chaos and the spell would become too OP
Some of them will still be gunning for the wizard- if it really is a concern, it's just a matter of changing some of their objectives from causing chaos to killing the wizard.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #253160

I dream of a server where people can fight and kill eachother without needing to be given a specific license to do so, but they do it out of spirit of the game and for the sake of fun rather than malicious intent.

Is such a server possible?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #253167

imblyings wrote:
Haevacht wrote: Non-antag gun recievers are targets for gun theft and crew who should mostly keep doing their job. Can;t have literally everyone abandon job to shoot shit eh?
Some of them will still be gunning for the wizard- if it really is a concern, it's just a matter of changing some of their objectives from causing chaos to killing the wizard.
This wouldn't change anything since most players don't care about objectives, as long as they're "antags" they have free pass to do anything so they'll still be killing their fellow man. See slaughter demons who'd rather kill the whole station and ignore the wizard even though their prime objective is to kill the wizard.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #253174

Wyzack wrote:I dream of a server where people can fight and kill eachother without needing to be given a specific license to do so, but they do it out of spirit of the game and for the sake of fun rather than malicious intent.

come back 5 years ago
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #253181

Gotta get back

Get back to the past
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #253237

Wyzack wrote:I dream of a server where people can fight and kill eachother without needing to be given a specific license to do so, but they do it out of spirit of the game and for the sake of fun rather than malicious intent.

Now
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #253275

make this server what you want it to be

with the magical IC issue button on ahelps
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #254594

it's a wizard round man just buckle up and enjoy the ride, also hope that the wizard doesn't use shit tactics and otherwise hope the admins will intervene to fuck up shitwizs
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #254612

Wizard rounds are just shitty in general, buckle up and do your best to enjoy them. A player was given an item/spell as a result of an antags actions so unless you can prove they were intentionally using it to grief, their actions are more or less valid.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #257968

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:then you lose. Welcome to wizard rounds, grab some popcorn and enjoy deadchat.
what a shitty stance to take on the subject
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #257969

See: rule 10.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #258042

Just do a few death match rounds if you want pure anarchy with everyone just randomly killing eachother. Personally I'd find it amusing if people actually killed eachother in creative ways like the tune some guy kidnapped me and a bunch of other people and executed them via emitters, or like this one time where I created lethal meth grenades that completely fucked people's movement and caused them to twitch and flail around before quickly falling into crit and dying shortly after.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #258072

cocothegogo wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:then you lose. Welcome to wizard rounds, grab some popcorn and enjoy deadchat.
what a shitty stance to take on the subject
You made the choice to escalate it to lethals.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #258080

I think you are both missing my point. The whole idea of it being an unobtainable dream is that it wouldn't devolve into random griff
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #258249

Wyzack wrote:I think you are both missing my point. The whole idea of it being an unobtainable dream is that it wouldn't devolve into random griff
Isn't that the most enjoyable part of the station going to hell in a handbasket though? Some of my most enjoyable memories on the station were probably a form of "grief", but the difference is when I got inconvenienced I laughed over it [or at most whined in OOC post round] instead of asking for them to be removed from the server [some exceptions ofc]. Hell, that's when there were no ghost roles besides immobile pAI.

I dunno I feel like some light-hearted griff acting as a monotony breaker between fighting antags and being antags is a good thing, people just need to be a little bit more light-hearted over a video game.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #258288

This is a zero RP server. There is no you.
If you get mind-swapped as an important role by a non-antag, there is virtually no difference for a crew that doesn't care who you are. Your only hope is to appeal at their valid gland, and hope that by proving your ""identity"" in some way (ex: reference earlier occurrence, repeat a conversation) they will get an itch strong enough to engage in actions which will coincidentally prove useful to you. Or metabuddies.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #258298

Iatots wrote:This is a zero RP server. There is no you.
Look, we can argue about RP levels all day, but if you genuinely believe this is a "zero RP server" you're kidding yourself. IC and OOC have distinctions, people have personas that they enjoy consistently playing as, etc.
Limey wrote:its too late.
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #258403

Qbopper wrote:
Look, we can argue about RP levels all day, but if you genuinely believe this is a "zero RP server" you're kidding yourself. IC and OOC have distinctions, people have personas that they enjoy consistently playing as, etc.
IC and OOC have distinctions yes, but you are grabbing the stick from the wrong end because there is no RP involved, and there hasn't been for a while.
Games have a design, a way to play them that is essential for the game to be enjoyable and maintain a win/loss condition, and to create a decent experience players must follow this design: they must follow rules governing their behavior.
You can't run with the ball under your arm in basketball like it's rugby because the game centers around the techniques of throwing the ball around.
You can't reach into the bank in Monopoly when you run out of cash, because the win/loss state is dictated by your capital.
You can't share information from the current round with others, because information and misinformation are an important mechanic of the game.
IC in OOC is not ok because it's used for cheating. You won't get kicked out of the house for throwing the wrong dice once, but the rule is there for gameplay reasons.
OOC in IC, that half of rule 3 might as be an addendum to rule 1: OOC in IC is always ok, except when you are *excessively* annoying.
It's not OOC in IC when an AI calls itself SHODAN or MOTHER. Neither it is with HAL9000 and GLaDOS, but expect a name change and teasing by the crew.
It's not OOC in IC when someone has a name from a B-movie character, so improbable that it doesn't appear once on the US census.
It's not even OOC in IC when you are literally a belligerant assistant named "Grey Tide", not because meme magic made the grey-tide meme IC retroactively, but because nobody really cares.
It's only not OK when you jerk your OOC hand so forcefully you push people away from the board and break the escapism, that's why people don't/can't discuss about sports or movies or whatever ICly: because it's a direct recall to reality and a break of escapism.
If you want to use your imagination you are free to do it, it is even encouraged, but the real, only rule is not to turn the lights on.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #258436

Iatots wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
IC and OOC have distinctions yes, but you are grabbing the stick from the wrong end because there is no RP involved, and there hasn't been for a while.
Games have a design, a way to play them that is essential for the game to be enjoyable and maintain a win/loss condition, and to create a decent experience players must follow this design: they must follow rules governing their behavior.
You can't run with the ball under your arm in basketball like it's rugby because the game centers around the techniques of throwing the ball around.
You can't reach into the bank in Monopoly when you run out of cash, because the win/loss state is dictated by your capital.
You can't share information from the current round with others, because information and misinformation are an important mechanic of the game.
IC in OOC is not ok because it's used for cheating. You won't get kicked out of the house for throwing the wrong dice once, but the rule is there for gameplay reasons.
OOC in IC, that half of rule 3 might as be an addendum to rule 1: OOC in IC is always ok, except when you are *excessively* annoying.
It's not OOC in IC when an AI calls itself SHODAN or MOTHER. Neither it is with HAL9000 and GLaDOS, but expect a name change and teasing by the crew.
It's not OOC in IC when someone has a name from a B-movie character, so improbable that it doesn't appear once on the US census.
It's not even OOC in IC when you are literally a belligerant assistant named "Grey Tide", not because meme magic made the grey-tide meme IC retroactively, but because nobody really cares.
It's only not OK when you jerk your OOC hand so forcefully you push people away from the board and break the escapism, that's why people don't/can't discuss about sports or movies or whatever ICly: because it's a direct recall to reality and a break of escapism.
If you want to use your imagination you are free to do it, it is even encouraged, but the real, only rule is not to turn the lights on.
Which server do you think you're playing on?
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #258446

Hippiestation circa late 2015.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #258449

Iatots wrote:Hippiestation circa late 2015.
You've done a better job of describing that than you have TG.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #258452

Hahaha god forbid
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #258511

cedarbridge wrote:
You've done a better job of describing that than you have TG.
Limey wrote:its too late.
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #258685

>it's a "quote tree with no actual discussion" episode.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #258706

how are you enjoying hippie?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #258755

Iatots wrote:>it's a "quote tree with no actual discussion" episode.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #258957

calzilla1 wrote:
Iatots wrote:>it's a "quote tree with no actual discussion" episode.