Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

It's Atlanta-Ned's turn

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:01 am #257377

Hi, I'm Ned.

I run the new stats project and the forthcoming tgmaps project. I'm an active contributor to the wiki and an initiative to better-document the game. I've been playing /tg/ since the middle of 2014 and have an impressive track record of zero bans + negative notes to show for it. Back in September, I was promoted to Game Admin and have enjoyed the experience ever since.

Nedless to say, I enjoy playing here and I'd like to be your next headmin. Here's a few reasons why:

• Things are working pretty much just fine as they are. I'm not going to run in with a bunch of sweeping policy changes. The previous headmin teams have done an astounding job and the game + greater community is stronger than ever.
  • Which isn't to say that there aren't some things worth trying out. Bold policy tests, like the removal of AIs a few years ago, are worth pursuing. Let's throw some changes at the wall and see if it makes something pretty in the process. Off the top of my head, I'd like to see what happens if we remove cloning. Or security. Or non-antag security.
  • I like to trot out my "this game has no protagonists" soundbite when I can, and I want to pursue admin-intervention that reflects that statement. Namely, getting away from "valid" as a binary construct.
  • Admin onboarding and training needs an overhaul. I'd like to work with the admin team to revisit how to handle in-game issues and place a new emphasis on IC resolutions where possible.

Regardless of my success with this election, I hope we can have a thoughtful dialog about the where the game/community is and where it's going.

What would you like to know more about?
Feedback pls (Don't bother though, because I am perfect)
### ListVarEdit by Atlanta-ned: /datum/reagents reagent_list: Water=/obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/alien
IcePacks wrote:>all you have is a taser and the cold realization that you're a haphazard bandaid over a problem that may or may not exist, applied by someone who doesn't know or care enough about their job to do it properly

OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are

Doctor Pork

Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Re: It's Atlanta-Ned's turn

Postby Doctor Pork » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:16 pm #258804

I love your stance on bold policy tests. Can you go into some more depth on that?
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander

Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad

Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 am #259093

I wanna reply to Pork's question and use this as an opportunity to expound on my platform:

ERP While I think it might have some merit as an RP tool, it causes way too much drama. We're better off without it. I'd rename the ERT to Emergency Response trooP*.
• Ditto for ban requests. The only thing BR brought to the table was highlighting shitty players, and that's debatable.
• Emphasis should be placed on encouraging good sportsmanship, IE: not killing someone because you caught them with traitor gear. Maybe acting like some terrified underling when faced with a nuke op instead of 'lol stunprod/ur ded/git gud'. Embrace the spirit of the game as a roleplaying adventure, not whatever this mess is.
• We need more kinds of OOC punishments. One idea would be reverse antag tokens: So if you get selected for an antag role, the game will spit out a message that you're being blocked for X reason and force you to be a normal player for that round.
• And more creative punishments. Let's force people to surrender to security, or skip being cloned.

* This is a lie

Doctor Pork wrote:I love your stance on bold policy tests. Can you go into some more depth on that?

I'd be delighted to!

Off the top of my head, we've run tests on:
• Sec borg removal
• AI removal
• Changing up the 1st law of Asimov
• Removing cloning

...all with varying degrees of success. The key thing here is that these happened in the first place. Since I joined the admin team, the only real test I can recall is an aborted attempt at removing security during an ops round (whoops). I think we need to return to a policy of occasionally throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Personally, I'd like to see what happens with:

• Removing the common radio channel, then all radios (we might have already done this though)
• Fiddling with damage values to make things more or less lethal
• Changing up AI laws here and there
• Rule changes (ex: changing up rule 4)

I'd even go so far as to suggest a weekly "let's try this" thread where we can come up with something to test, test it, and then discuss the various virtues or lack thereof.
### ListVarEdit by Atlanta-ned: /datum/reagents reagent_list: Water=/obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/alien
IcePacks wrote:>all you have is a taser and the cold realization that you're a haphazard bandaid over a problem that may or may not exist, applied by someone who doesn't know or care enough about their job to do it properly

OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are

TehSteveo
Global Moderator

Byond Username: TehSteveo

Postby TehSteveo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:42 am #259112

We did the radio chat removal before. It was something like common radio was gone and department stayed. It wasn't met with good reception.
Freedom

Qbopper

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:46 am #259115

Not exactly related to your campaign, but I think a neat test would be removing cloning while buffing defibs significantly(?), as I don't think that was done during the removed cloning test
Limey wrote:its too late.

Shaps-cloud
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Shaps

Postby Shaps-cloud » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:07 pm #259288

An excellent candidate, is active in game and in the coding community (as evidenced by rewriting our front end for the database which is awesome), has a good head on their shoulders and hasn't had any sort of blowout or misstep that comes to mind, which is rare among the candidates presented. Has my vote and backing
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm #259340

Oh, I'll also issue an admin fiat and remove the Yeehaw! roundend sound.

danno

Byond Username: Dannno

Postby danno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 pm #259341

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand lost my vote
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

captain sawrge

Byond Username: Sawrge

Postby captain sawrge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm #259343

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Oh, I'll also issue an admin fiat and remove the Yeehaw! roundend sound.

eat shit you gibbering fucking mongoloid
die in a hole of burning pitch you drooling pants shitting invalid

Wyzack

Byond Username: Wyzack

Postby Wyzack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 pm #259344

>remove yeehaw sound

fucking dropped
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!

Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.

EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm #259346

Ok fine, I won't remove Yeehaw!, I'll just mute my sound when the round ends now.

Wow look at that, responding to community feedback and not being a hardass. Looks like a quality headmin to me.

Qbopper

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm #259352

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Oh, I'll also issue an admin fiat and remove the Yeehaw! roundend sound.

I WILL RIG THE VOTE SO YOU WIN
Limey wrote:its too late.

captain sawrge

Byond Username: Sawrge

Postby captain sawrge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 pm #259355

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Ok fine, I won't remove Yeehaw!, I'll just mute my sound when the round ends now.

Wow look at that, responding to community feedback and not being a hardass. Looks like a quality headmin to me.

I wouldn't trust you to wipe your own ass after you shit in the hole your parents dug in the backyard, let alone run my server.

Wyzack

Postby Wyzack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:08 pm #259357

I actually have a real question based on a feedback post metacide made in your feedback thread in which you told an Asimov AI that had every reason to believe the captain was going to change its laws so it would harm humans (which was true, it was cult) that it had to let the captain and others into its upload.

I feel like this is of note since it feels like this goes against a good bit of established precedent for silicons that they are not supposed to allow law changes that would force them to harm humans. Not going to comment on if it was right or wrong, just want to know your side of the incident
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!

certified good poster

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 pm #259374

Wyzack wrote:I actually have a real question based on a feedback post metacide made in your feedback thread in which you told an Asimov AI that had every reason to believe the captain was going to change its laws so it would harm humans (which was true, it was cult) that it had to let the captain and others into its upload.

I feel like this is of note since it feels like this goes against a good bit of established precedent for silicons that they are not supposed to allow law changes that would force them to harm humans. Not going to comment on if it was right or wrong, just want to know your side of the incident

I really, really wish they'd made a complaint, because I don't want to get into a silicon policy debate in my feedback thread.

That being said, to the best of my recollection, when I asked them to justify upload refusal, Metacide cited "subtext" as the reason. Had they pointed out that security and the chaplain were executing people, I'd have ruled in favor of refusing the order. Admins don't always know everything that's going on in a round. Absent that evidence, the subtext explanation was 1) unsatisfactory and 2) borderline metagaming.

Wyzack

Postby Wyzack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm #259386

I had a feeling there was another side to the story that was not elaborated on, that clears up my questions on the matter
Caleb Robinson laughs.

certified good poster

bandit
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Bgobandit

Postby bandit » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:41 pm #259734

One of the better admins on the team currently, I'm not sure this particular cycle is the best one for him (next cycle, unless he has like a mental break, sure) but that's just because of his being new.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

Return to Archived/Deleted