Can we get rid of the headmin player vote please

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Can we get rid of the headmin player vote please

Post by captain sawrge » #259294

>go on forums and make vague promises that you probably still won't uphold or promise things completely out of your power to appease the widest group of players
>in-game do your best to make every player happy with you regardless of rules/policy/etc. for 2 weeks so they like you more
>win the popularity contest
>either flaunt your power a little bit or end up not wanting to to avoid rocking boat, get bored and decide you dont want it anymore
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Can we get rid of the headmin player vote please

Post by DemonFiren » #259296

ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #259298

Vote for me lol
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259361

I dunno I think removing the headmin player vote is a bad idea

Removing player candidates strikes me as less awful but would still result in outcry
Limey wrote:its too late.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259369

Qbopper wrote:I dunno I think removing the headmin player vote is a bad idea

Removing player candidates strikes me as less awful but would still result in outcry
Why do you think it's a bad idea?
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #259376

captain sawrge wrote:

Since the administration team is ostensibly in place to serve the playerbase, I feel that we should allow the playerbase the chance to choose a headmin that is aligned with their interests.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259438

Fiz Bump wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:

Since the administration team is ostensibly in place to serve the playerbase, I feel that we should allow the playerbase the chance to choose a headmin that is aligned with their interests.
essentially this

removing the player vote is a bad idea because it gives the impression that the entire admin/headmin team is a giant old boy's club
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #259456

no
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #259474

Really the actual answer is to be a lot more stringent with disqualifying candidates at the first whiff of poor behaviour, such as open faced attempts at bribery.

Headmin terms are 4 months at the moment, if you fuck around and do shady shit then you get to sit out this round of elections.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259491

Arianya wrote:Really the actual answer is to be a lot more stringent with disqualifying candidates at the first whiff of poor behaviour, such as open faced attempts at bribery.

Headmin terms are 4 months at the moment, if you fuck around and do shady shit then you get to sit out this round of elections.
good compromise imo, and if it's made clear shit will be cracked down on then we won't have oranges trying to sit there asking "this is obviously a joke but do I want to nuke it" ala timbre
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #259501

captain sawrge wrote:>go on forums and make vague promises that you probably still won't uphold or promise things completely out of your power to appease the widest group of players
>in-game do your best to make every player happy with you regardless of rules/policy/etc. for 2 weeks so they like you more
>either flaunt your power a little bit or end up not wanting to to avoid rocking boat, get bored and decide you dont want it anymore

How about no.

Admin circle jerk vote is shit too.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259506

starmute wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:>go on forums and make vague promises that you probably still won't uphold or promise things completely out of your power to appease the widest group of players

How about no.

What do you mean by "circlejerk vote"? That statement is as ridiculous as removing the player vote
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259507

starmute wrote:

How about no.

They're both popularity contests but admins are at least more privy to what their peers are up to.
starmute

Post by starmute » #259541

captain sawrge wrote: They're both popularity contests but admins are at least more privy to what their peers are up to.
Also more prone for cronyism and favoritism.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259542

starmute wrote:
captain sawrge wrote: They're both popularity contests but admins are at least more privy to what their peers are up to.
Also more prone for cronyism and favoritism.
I think you are taking this children's game a little too seriously in general my friend
starmute

Post by starmute » #259546

captain sawrge wrote: I think you are taking this children's game a little too seriously in general my friend
I really don't care. I'm just stating you're not going to get a perfect system.

I do take childrens card games very seriously yugi.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #259549

hey you could do a donor headmin vote if you feel it's an admin circlejerk.

but that's essentially paying for admins.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #259550

>Waaah, players can vote for someone who disagrees with me!

If we have to remove a vote, it should be the admin one.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259554

Luke Cox wrote:>Waaah, players can vote for someone who disagrees with me!

Could you explain your reasoning behind this?
I think you missed the point completely or only read the topic then immediately jumped to shitpost but if you have actual contribution to the discussion I'd love to hear it.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259559

starmute wrote:
captain sawrge wrote: I think you are taking this children's game a little too seriously in general my friend

I guess what you're saying has merit, but I think simply by the nature of admins' actions being far more visible to other actions than players it's a lot easier for admins to make an informed decision. The player poll is basically just a popularity contest because most people don't read the forums anyway and are just going to vote for whichever admin pinged them the less/included them in the most events/banned the people they didn't like etc.
I've watched these elections for years and every year a bunch of people base their platform on these grandiose promises to fix the server and then realize what they wanted to do is nigh impossible, and yet everyone continues to do it because it doesn't really matter what you do after you're voted in, all that matters is getting there to begin with.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #259580

PKPenguin321 wrote:Vote for me lol
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
starmute

Post by starmute » #259581

captain sawrge wrote:
starmute wrote:

I guess what you're saying has merit, but I think simply by the nature of admins' actions being far more visible to other actions than players it's a lot easier for admins to make an informed decision. The player poll is basically just a popularity contest because most people don't read the forums anyway and are just going to vote for whichever admin pinged them the less/included them in the most events/banned the people they didn't like etc.
I've watched these elections for years and every year a bunch of people base their platform on these grandiose promises to fix the server and then realize what they wanted to do is nigh impossible, and yet everyone continues to do it because it doesn't really matter what you do after you're voted in, all that matters is getting there to begin with.
You know I've watched them too. You're right on with the player elections and their problems but there also is problems with clicks forming in the administration where people become buddy-buddy. Suddenly someone insults another and fur flies and you have a intigracy-HBL situation where admins hate each other. Admins pick sides and there are hurt feelings for years to come. The arguments can come from anywhere or anything. Ultimately I think that the person elected as the admin canidate has to be working the populist angle too. There is no world where a very abrasive candidate would be elected as a admin candidate, however since people who do work often come off as abrasive when they have to argue for their particular system and butt heads with admins. Thats why you never saw someone like bromethis elected as the admin candidate.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #259599

the answer to your question is no. I'm happy with the format that currently exists and am not considering any changes to it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259714

beerobot wrote:the answer to your question is no. I'm happy with the format that currently exists and am not considering any changes to it.
Glad to hear this, it's by no means a perfect system but it's better than any alternative I can imagine
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #259724

I say we just elect me as benevolent dictator and get rid of those pesky elections all together.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259729

the problem with the player vote is that most players do not read the forums or even give too much of a fuck, they just want to play a fucking videogame. As such in order to win you just have to literally shill in OOC as that is the only way to connect with the majority of the voterbase, and since many of them dont really give a shit they will likely just vote for whoever they see the most of or whoever is funny/makes grandiose promises that they want to see.

This is not really a good thing for the server/policy but i dont think taking away the players ability to influence server policy and shit is the answer. The only thing that would really be better is forcing the players to pretend to read a pile of shit on each candidate before voting, but at the end of the day THIS IS A FUCKING GAME and no one takes it as seriously as we do here on the forums. Nor should they really.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #259828

Wyzack wrote:the problem with the player vote is that most players do not read the forums or even give too much of a fuck, they just want to play a fucking videogame. As such in order to win you just have to literally shill in OOC as that is the only way to connect with the majority of the voterbase, and since many of them dont really give a shit they will likely just vote for whoever they see the most of or whoever is funny/makes grandiose promises that they want to see.

This is not really a good thing for the server/policy but i dont think taking away the players ability to influence server policy and shit is the answer. The only thing that would really be better is forcing the players to pretend to read a pile of shit on each candidate before voting, but at the end of the day THIS IS A FUCKING GAME and no one takes it as seriously as we do here on the forums. Nor should they really.
So what you're saying is you have to play the game to be elected head admin? And you think that this is a problem?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259832

No, just that most players will not vote based on actual stances for things but sheer exposure/meme potential
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #259836

I would almost agree with you, but in every election I've overseen so far the players have usually elected in my opinion the best of the three headmins in each trifecta.

They elected Kor and they elected OkAnd37.

So I haven't seen much evidence for them only voting for meme candidates.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259839

Fair enough, you cant really dispute hard evidence like that
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259847

Out of curiosity, is there a history of vote results for player votes? I'm interested in seeing how many votes meme candidates have gotten in the past
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #259887

We really only have a good record of the last two, as they used the IRV system I had mso develop

https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltally.php?id=145
https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltally.php?id=152

I think the other votes might be on erro's poll page but I'm not sure.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #259906

hoo boy let me try to remember

Farthest back I got is

HBL - Voted in by literally thread vote (post in a thread to vote)
Intigracy - Voted in by literally thread vote (post in a thread to vote)
Deuryn - I think he was legacied in?

-An0n3 - Player vote I think...?
-Ikarrus - Admin vote I think...?
-Hg - Codervote back when coders voted?

-Somewhere along the lines MSO and Sticky become deputy headmins

-Stickymayhem - Admin vote
-Sometinyprick - Player vote
-HG - Codervote or MSO pick? Not sure, don't remember

-Ausops - Admin vote
- ???? (Korphaeron maybe?) - Player vote?
- ?????

-Somewhere around this time scones was deputy headmin

- HG - Admin vote
- ????
- ???

-Shaps - Admin vote
- Korphaeron - Player vote
- Leoz - host/last headmin vote

-TehSteveo - Admin vote
- Okand - Player vote
- Krusvik - Host/last Headmin vote

- Leoz takes over as filler headmin for okand

- Admin vote: TBD
- Player vote: TBD
- Joan - Host/Last headmin vote

I might be missing a group or two, we have elections pretty damn often tbh
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #259910

NikNakFlak wrote:- Ausops - Admin vote
- Lollerderby - player vote
- Jordie - MSO pick

- HG - Admin vote
- Kor - player vote
- Shadowlight - mso pick
I believe scones left before ausops was headmin(not sure though). Also in the ausops term they left 4 months in, replaced by HG.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #259987

Remove players
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259995

Reece wrote:Remove players
unfortunately with Seagrimir gone this is but a fond dream
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260008

there's no one to break rules if there's no one pllaying
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #260013

Wyzack wrote:
Reece wrote:Remove players
unfortunately with Seagrimir gone this is but a fond dream
I'm giving the other admins a chance to catch up, maybe they can fix the servers dying over my ban list being too huge.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #260028

NikNakFlak wrote:
- HG - Admin vote
- ????
- ???
Wasn't it shadowlight and kor or am I forgetting this?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #260031

lzimann wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote: - HG - Admin vote
- Kor - player vote
- Shadowlight - mso pick
this shows that the real vote that should be removed is the adminvote
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #260068

captain sawrge wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:>Waaah, players can vote for someone who disagrees with me!

Could you explain your reasoning behind this?
I think you missed the point completely or only read the topic then immediately jumped to shitpost but if you have actual contribution to the discussion I'd love to hear it.
Admin picks are little more than the result of the admin clique's circlejerking. Player picks are meant to keep the clique in line. I'm not advocating for the removal of any, but if I had to pick one, I'd remove the admin-picked headmin in a heartbeat.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260080

Now that you've described how admins act please explain how players would
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #260081

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Now that you've described how admins act please explain how players would
...yes? I did describe how admins act, how astute an observation.

Players don't see the same things other admins see, purely because admins work with each other and thus have a more complete idea of their peers' general conduct and behavior. If we're going to have a player vote at all, I would just rather it without all the bullshit politicking because in the end, it's all mostly meaningless and very little of it can/will be upheld.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260090

I find the idea of removing the admin vote because of the idea of cliques or whatever hilarious

One thread we're a group of scheming nazis with a plan to elect a facist and the next we're all infighting incompetents who can't even agree on a single policy

I'm obviously exaggerating but come on man, admins are people too, we just happen to have a better idea of what a headmin's role entails - yes, we fuck up and yes we aren't always the greatest, but the idea you present is just flat out unreasonable

If you genuinely believe that removing the vote for a headmin from the most informed group on what that vote means and how viable a candidate is over the idea of "clique circlejerking" I really don't know what else to say to you on the subject
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #260092

I was mostly meming but never forget that the admins voted in HG.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #260093

ShadowDimentio wrote:I was mostly meming but never forget that the admins voted in HG.
To be fair, I dunno when that was but the admin team does cycle through a lot of people
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #260099

Qbopper wrote:I find the idea of removing the admin vote because of the idea of cliques or whatever hilarious

One thread we're a group of scheming nazis with a plan to elect a facist and the next we're all infighting incompetents who can't even agree on a single policy

I'm obviously exaggerating but come on man, admins are people too, we just happen to have a better idea of what a headmin's role entails - yes, we fuck up and yes we aren't always the greatest, but the idea you present is just flat out unreasonable

If you genuinely believe that removing the vote for a headmin from the most informed group on what that vote means and how viable a candidate is over the idea of "clique circlejerking" I really don't know what else to say to you on the subject
My point is that OP is saying that the players should have fuck all influence, but a small clique voting for a headmin is totally okay. Certainly doesn't help the perception that the admins are part of a small, corrupt club. I get where you're coming from, admins knowing the inner workings and all, but the fact that the admins voted for someone like HG has pretty much rendered that viewpoint completely invalid in the eyes of the average player. Yes, admins are just people. They aren't enlightened sages, and their opinions don't hold any more water than any other regular player in my opinion.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #260110

ShadowDimentio wrote:I was mostly meming but never forget that the admins voted in HG.
You say this as an insult. I wear it like a badge of honor
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #260111

shitposting brainman I banish thee
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #260112