Planetary Station """""design""""" document

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Planetary Station """""design""""" document

Post by Bombadil » #266942

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think people are too caught up in the PvE aspect of it and that it's on a planet.

So here's an idea for a space version instead the station is based around a teleporter gate IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE. Cosmic horrors and shite attacking the station. The nearby planet is lavaland

oh my god its exactly like space station 13.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #266975

Kor wrote:Our rules and culture clearly can't handle exclusively PVP combat. It's just endless arguing over who can kill who with more restrictions on it by the year.
Why do you say it can't handle it. We've had the same thing for years and people still find it fun, still play it, and the servers still actively get 40 to 90 people daily give or take, depending on day. We had a few rough patches where pop got a little bit low at times and in general, but the game isn't any where near dying and the fact that you say the rules and culture can't handle it despite NOTHING GOING WRONG honestly just baffles me. Believe it or not, people like the debate around the rules and what should be ok and what shouldn't be ok, people like the politics of /tg/ as one of the reasons they come here. Sure it gets exhausting at times, but people wouldn't bother trying to do it if at some level the enjoyment of changing policy and rules became less than the annoyance and frustration of arguing with people over it.

I don't see it becoming more restricted over time. Sure maybe since like buttfucking 2010, but the most strict time we had was around the end of SoS's era when he went full "No murderboners" + "MUST have captain approval to execute or admin punishment" and we came back from that being less strict, so I don't even really believe your argument that it's "more restrictive" over time.

I really see no reason to completely make the entire game more or less, fucking lavaland. I never got into lavaland personally and always liked the feel and playstyle of the station over it. I gave lavaland a shot and didn't like it. Personal opinion about gameplay aside, just in general, why the hell do you want to change the game so much? Is it because oranges randomly made a thread about server direction and you were like "lets just push it until its almost an entirely new "variant" sort of like how fallout station is or something. Did you play so much rimworld that you wanted to make ss13 like it? I'm just so baffled because you, yourself used to advocate HARD for the "old feeling of metal death trap and wacky stationness" and now you are heavily pushing for "fantasy planet base full lavaland pve world" deal.

Off tangent:
Alipheese wrote:Great idea. Won't ruin the game, isn't a new game. IT'S JUST A NEW MAP. 11/10.
I don't know if they want to scrap the old maps, but it won't just be a "new map". It'll be the base thing on both servers and base gameplay every round. Stations actually in space will either be removed or something admins have to toggle or whatever, but it won't be the game that everyone plays every round anymore. I might not ruin the game, and it really isn't a new game, but as I mentioned above, it's more or less taking /tg/ and making it one of those "niche" servers like fallout 13 or Colonial marines just in our own version of it. It doesn't sound terrible, but it's not for me. I play /tg/ because of the way it is. As bgobandit said it perfectly more or less. "Sounds like fun, but I play spacestation 13 to play spacestation 13." or something close to that, too lazy to look in the thread.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #266990

I wouldn't say arguing about rules and policy is fun or attractive, niknak, I doubt anyone plays on this server for that (if they do promptly ban them).

So, what is the end game, escaping through the gateway? That doesn't seem very fun.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #266994

Not just for that, but people do like discussing policy. It's more of just an added part of the community.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267006

CosmicScientist wrote:
bandit wrote:I just realized what this reminds me of -- it's basically Rimworld
I keep bitching about Rimworld when I try to write this out. I see the connection, I'd say I trust Kor and anyone who backs him up on this to make something better than Rimworld. Rimworld is a very basic game at its core and I'd argue it'd be better to look towards its inspirations or the subgenres it mashes together than Rimworld itself.

The gateway had better be more interesting than Rimworld's rokkit ship and also be more cathartic (I guess how Kor put it, final power up as a physical timer, each person jumping through gets to watch as the dwindling numbers either do or die in a Stargate style hey you get to live the fun moment and maybe have fun being the guy who lets everyone else go through whilst you are probably doomed but hey, you get the spotlight, that all sounds fun really, I mean, better than Rimworld's press a button, see text dump and you get some fun selfish/selflessness roleplay, maybe a traitor might drop a syndibomb before they go through and make everyone else go "fuuuuck").

I hate you Kor, you make everything sound so cool. What happened to FTLStation13/Orion Trail13?
the rimworld comparison is (at least I saw it this way) nothing more than a way to show "it's not turning the game into PVE only, look at eg. [rimworld/whatever], you have external threats that become marginalized as you play and internal threats become the fear"
Limey wrote:its too late.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #267011

Alipheese wrote:Read half of the thread before it became the same thing over and over.

Great idea. Won't ruin the game, isn't a new game. IT'S JUST A NEW MAP. 11/10.
I don't think you get it, this isn't just a new map. He wants to make the entire game Lavaland. This is why I'm saying that it will undoubtedly kill the server. We'll go from being one of the biggest SS13 servers to being a niche like Colonial Marines. Half the playerbase will leave to play the game that they've been playing for years.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #267015

While the theme of the game is centered on space, the gameplay isn't. Antags, RP, imperfect people, clowning and pretty much every job works without requiring the station to be in space. Unlike Colonial Marines we wouldn't focus into one gameplay niche, but rather add a whole new element to gameplay, the station exterior and attacking monsters, at the cost of another, space exposure. While space exposure does add some fun via atmos, i feel like PvE/PvP fights and an evolving threat (as long as it doesn't become the same every round) would be more interesting and interactable.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #267016

I don't understand the point that this is a whole new game or something when this is largely the same base experience but with an added element of hostility to propel rounds and encourage more reasons for people to do their job.
One of the largest issues with the current "meta" is that many jobs have very little to do. Jobs like medical doctor, engineer or atmos tech all exist in order to maintain the station, keep things from getting too fucked up, and fixed things when they do get bad. None of this actually matters, because as it stands people would rather simply hit the "Reset the Game World in Fifteen Minutes" button. There is no reason to fix a hull breach or a plasma leak instead of calling the shuttle when you have no attachment as a player to the station, and there is no reason to have any attachment as a player without enforcing stricter roleplay guidelines.
The gateway idea removes the ability to circumvent playing the game and doing your job, and the PvE element gives an extra element to several jobs so as to keep them from getting boring.

The end game now is just finding a good enough reason to call the shuttle at twenty minutes and hoping that antags didn't have time to do anything, or if they did that you can end the round so you don't have to deal with the hardship. I don't see how what OP is proposing is somehow worse than this.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267019

XDTM wrote:While the theme of the game is centered on space, the gameplay isn't. Antags, RP, imperfect people, clowning and pretty much every job works without requiring the station to be in space. Unlike Colonial Marines we wouldn't focus into one gameplay niche, but rather add a whole new element to gameplay, the station exterior and attacking monsters, at the cost of another, space exposure. While space exposure does add some fun via atmos, i feel like PvE/PvP fights and an evolving threat (as long as it doesn't become the same every round) would be more interesting and interactable.
Not everyone likes fighting mentally retarded mobs. It's a nice little touch of excitement for the lavaland, but it will get very old very fast if it's a core part of the game.
captain sawrge wrote:I don't understand the point that this is a whole new game or something when this is largely the same base experience but with an added element of hostility to propel rounds and encourage more reasons for people to do their job.
Currently: Crew is on a space station, people are meant to do their various jobs, various antags are the driving force behind the round. The gameplay is very much sandbox-based, with people choosing to progress things how they wish

Proposed: Crew is crashed on the lavaland. Everybody has to fight off PvE mobs (and it WILL be monotonous), which will take priority before doing actual jobs. The gameplay is linear, with a single objective that the entire crew has to work towards and a single means of accomplishing it.

It is completely different on a core level. Planetary station will be cool for about a week, then it will become a snorefest.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #267020

You have completely misinterpreted the OP and the entire goal of this project.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267021

Luke Cox wrote:
Alipheese wrote:Read half of the thread before it became the same thing over and over.

Great idea. Won't ruin the game, isn't a new game. IT'S JUST A NEW MAP. 11/10.
I don't think you get it, this isn't just a new map. He wants to make the entire game Lavaland. This is why I'm saying that it will undoubtedly kill the server. We'll go from being one of the biggest SS13 servers to being a niche like Colonial Marines. Half the playerbase will leave to play the game that they've been playing for years.
???

Read sawrges post

Creating a map that forces people to do something is not creating a new game and if you think the server will die over one map (which could die off if no one likes it) because of some ridiculous notion that everyone will leave the spawn to kill monsters (or something? that's the impression I get from "this makes the game lavaland") you're not reading the damn thread
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267024

Then give me a definitive answer once and for all: is this going to replace both servers? I am getting a ton of mixed answers on that front.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267025

Luke Cox wrote:Then give me a definitive answer once and for all: is this going to replace both servers? I am getting a ton of mixed answers on that front.
You are discussing something so hilariously off topic I have no idea what this means

No one is proposing this NEW MAP replaces any server whatsoever, at most it was suggested we test it on the third server exclusively
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #267026

This design doc needs elaboration.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #267027

What Luke Cox says is true, but if you think i'm getting involved with that shitfest you're crazy. Regarding PVP and PVE, some monsters should be player controlled and some should not. In CM, you're never dead for more than five minutes because then you get to join as an alien. So perhaps that would be that going for it if you do it right. I had an idea where one job is [insert flesh monster here], whose job is to destroy the gateway. They can teleport but not leave the darkness. When any non-monster enters the dark mist, they're alerted of their location and a teleport popup comes up. If the monster teleports near (no, not on top), the player hears a loud scream and a message that indicates the monster is near. Boom, taken by the mist-monster. The monster sees light as darkness, and darkness as light. It is completely blind outside of the mist and will quickly parish outside of it too.

The tendrils at the edge of the map will sometimes spawn different kinds of sentient monsters like events who have different objectives depending on what they are.
>Ashwalkers, raid the camp, kill as many as possible. They spawn with what they do in lavaland right now and they can't pickup anything ranged. The number of Ashwalkers sent increases as the game goes on. Early-Mid. No late game.

>Legion, raid the camp, convert as many as possible to the legion. They're just sentient legion, spawns in the same size squads as Ashwalkers and alternatively spawn in small amounts alongside ashwalkers. They will be able to use hands. Throughout the whole game ideally.

>Mistlings, kidnap and bring to the mist-monster. They spawn with nothing and look like extremely deformed humans. They have abilities similar to THEME of changeling, but more focused on kidnapping humans and lurking in maintenance. Turrets will not shoot them because they are technically human. They would abduct similar to abductors, but they are solo, and they are slowed if they are in light for long amounts of time, like slaughter demons. All of their abductor tools would, instead of an actual tool, just be a fleshy appendage that they can change by using in hand. Mid game.

>Flesh Monsters, destroy the gateway. Late game, literally just copy paste the monstrosities from changelingrain's thread without the base setting and with the goal to destroy the gateway. Late game, if you haven't left by this point the shadows will already be creeping into the base, almost all hope would be forfeit at this point even without the flesh monsters, this is just icing on the cake.

>Syndicates will sometimes start the game in a small base of operations in a random (far from the base) location. They hate the crash survivors but the monsters wish to kill the syndicates too. They have no obligation to stay at the base but they can stay and prepare, spying on the survivors while they prepare dangerous weapons. Rare spawn.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267029

Armhulen wrote:What Luke Cox says is true, but if you think i'm getting involved with that shitfest you're crazy. Regarding PVP and PVE, some monsters should be player controlled and some should not. In CM, you're never dead for more than five minutes because then you get to join as an alien.
I think this is yet again someone completely misuderstanding what is going on

Let's say I walk out of the station and die like a fucking dumbass

I can be brought back and cloned as normal, become a drone/one of the thousand ghost roles, and you say "we need more things for if you die"? This isn't like CM, this is still SS13, it just happens to have more going on

where are people getting these notions that this idea is to scrap everything and make a new game? if you die it's like normal and you sit out for the same amount of time as if you died on station

It's not even like lavaland because any idiot can walk out and rescue your body
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #267031

Assuming Remie's Multi-Z level station project goes through, maybe we could use it? It's either that, or larger Z-Levels, since fitting so much onto a current Z-level without dramatically reducing possible station population is somewhere between hard and impossible.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #267032

Qbopper wrote:
Armhulen wrote:What Luke Cox says is true, but if you think i'm getting involved with that shitfest you're crazy. Regarding PVP and PVE, some monsters should be player controlled and some should not. In CM, you're never dead for more than five minutes because then you get to join as an alien.
I think this is yet again someone completely misuderstanding what is going on

Let's say I walk out of the station and die like a fucking dumbass

I can be brought back and cloned as normal, become a drone/one of the thousand ghost roles, and you say "we need more things for if you die"? This isn't like CM, this is still SS13, it just happens to have more going on

where are people getting these notions that this idea is to scrap everything and make a new game? if you die it's like normal and you sit out for the same amount of time as if you died on station

It's not even like lavaland because any idiot can walk out and rescue your body
It's going to be a lot more like CM than you think because it has one direction code wise, two opposing teams with their own goals that conflict with each other. I just described CM for you. I do think bodies will be recoverable unless you go into the most so I don't know, fuck you for bringing me into 'it'
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267039

>fuck you for bringing me into 'it'

don't post if you don't want replies

>one direction code wise, two opposing teams with their own goals that conflict with each other

I don't know what a single map being added has to do with anything and I certainly don't see what the "other team" is - it's ONE MAP, some people are choosing they want to contribute to, how is there conflict here
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #267040

Qbopper wrote:>fuck you for bringing me into 'it'

don't post if you don't want replies

>one direction code wise, two opposing teams with their own goals that conflict with each other

I don't know what a single map being added has to do with anything and I certainly don't see what the "other team" is - it's ONE MAP, some people are choosing they want to contribute to, how is there conflict here
But it isn't one map, it's either this or that because of reasons above, the design lead made the thread and unless he korrects me, he's shifting full power to this.

edit: I just wanted to post autistic but cool ideas and here I am now
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267042

You really need to quote the relevant sections of the OP to me because I'm just not seeing anything that says "this is a game redesign and not a single station"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267048

I'm re-reading through the earlier posts and it seems like this is being proposed as a replacement for what we have.
Kor wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:How did you go from general server direction discussion to something so different from the base flavor and niceness of the game.
"What direction do we want to go?"
"Lets make it pretty much an entire different game!"
When are we going to get back that future retro flavor without all these random sidebrances of content.
I'm so confused, I've never disagreed with something kor wrote more than ever.
The paradox of "giving ss13 a direction" is that it has directionless built into it. So yes, you'd basically have to make something related but different.

Or we can keep going on our griff roulette, it's been pretty fun for a decade now so changing it might be an over reaction.
captain sawrge wrote:This isn't a sidebranch or alternate map, this is a replacement for the current game concept
Kor wrote:
Reece wrote:But...why?
I get that Lavaland is liked by a few people
I said why in the OP, if you don't want to read it please don't post. Lavaland is also the most popular job in the history of /tg/, and has been for a year straight now.

People are going to want conflict in their videogames, and since trying to figure out rules for player vs player violence is going down a bottomless rabbit hole, we may as well let players inflict violence on NPCs that don't adminhelp.
(The last quote is something I missed before, and very interesting considering it's from the same guy who's responsible for removing ban requests. Makes me question the motivation behind this)

tl;dr This mode has a straight linear progression, regular SS13 is a sandbox. They are fundamentally different. Even if it wasn't a replacement, the concept is fundamentally flawed. Playerbase will riot, preemptive "I told you so"
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #267051

Qbopper wrote:You really need to quote the relevant sections of the OP to me because I'm just not seeing anything that says "this is a game redesign and not a single station"
Kor wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I just can't believe people are seriously considering dumping everything we have and making a new game. Kor's thought process seems to be "Lavaland works well in the context of mining, so let's scrap everything and remake the entire game around lavaland"
What is being scrapped exactly? The only thing I explicitly said would be missing was cargo, and cargo is literally just pressing a button on a computer and having guns fall out.
>seriously considering dumping everything we have
That doesn't sound like a map.

If Kor was just making a map he would reply with "vote for other maps" or something like that. Though really, this point is shit, how about we just wait until Kor confirms or denies if it's just a map.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #267065

Armhulen wrote:
Qbopper wrote:You really need to quote the relevant sections of the OP to me because I'm just not seeing anything that says "this is a game redesign and not a single station"
Kor wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I just can't believe people are seriously considering dumping everything we have and making a new game. Kor's thought process seems to be "Lavaland works well in the context of mining, so let's scrap everything and remake the entire game around lavaland"
What is being scrapped exactly? The only thing I explicitly said would be missing was cargo, and cargo is literally just pressing a button on a computer and having guns fall out.
>seriously considering dumping everything we have
That doesn't sound like a map.

If Kor was just making a map he would reply with "vote for other maps" or something like that. Though really, this point is shit, how about we just wait until Kor confirms or denies if it's just a map.

I think if planet station is succesful we could implement the ideas to the space station instead
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #267073

add me to the coderlist, i'd be sad to see this replace the main station but i'm in love with rimworld enough to want to help :^)
one question though: How does atmospherics work, and how do you make the map bigger? because 256x256 is pretty limited man...
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #267074

Eh, if we leave space, why not pack it all up, leave byond and go to a real engine, like Unreal?
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #267080

leibniz wrote:Eh, if we leave space, why not pack it all up, leave byond and go to a real engine, like Unreal?
Because this is mostly the same game and code and doens't require completely rebuilding from new?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #267081

Razharas wrote:Nice try startoad but your disguise is really obvious i can see right throught you
Ultra hyper rare razharas collected
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #267082

Bombadil wrote:I think people are too caught up in the PvE aspect of it and that it's on a planet.

So here's an idea for a space version instead the station is based around a teleporter gate IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE. Cosmic horrors and shite attacking the station. The nearby planet is lavaland

oh my god its exactly like space station 13.
if it's similar enough to be the same thing, why can't it just be a map?
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267083

I'm going to put this in big obnoxious letters, because it's the major fault here and nobody is discussing it:

Space Station 13 is a sandbox game, with nonlinear progression and most conflict coming from PvP elements. The proposed Planetary Station is a traditional game with linear progression and most conflict coming from PvE elements. These two games are mutually exclusive.

I'm going to be blunt: I am seriously starting to doubt Kor's motivations behind this. It sounds like he doesn't like doing his job dealing with player conflict, so he just wants to rip it out. Plus I think lavaland being successful has completely gone to his head.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #267084

Please read the thread before you comment on it Luke.

The OP very explicitly states that all the game modes (the player conflict!) would remain almost unchanged. I have listed half a dozen games that I think balance internal and external conflict as well.

And yes I am motivated to reduce OOC conflict
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #267087

Kor wrote:Please read the thread before you comment on it Luke.

The OP very explicitly states that all the game modes (the player conflict!) would remain almost unchanged. I have listed half a dozen games that I think balance internal and external conflict as well.

Just because you're not removing all PVP doesn't mean we can't dislike that you're moving away from it, plus Luke's point about moving to more linear progression instead of stories built by the actions of individual players is still very much valid and instead of addressing that you've dismissed him as not reading the thread. Very shitty.
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #267088

To everyone asking:

It would start off as its own map, but long term it'd be very limiting and time consuming to try and develop/balance the game around both and one or the other version would die out.

I wasted a lot of time and did lots of shitty hacky code to keep asteroid playable after adding lavaland to calm people down but that isn't something thats viable to do forever.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #267090

PKPenguin321 wrote:

Just because you're not removing all PVP doesn't mean we can't dislike that you're moving away from it, plus Luke's point about moving to more linear progression instead of stories built by the actions of individual players is still very much valid and instead of addressing that you've dismissed him as not reading the thread. Very shitty.
Please list the part in the OP where I said I am moving away from PVP so I can clarify or remove it.

I really don't understand how someone can read "rev, the mode where everyone kills everyone, is literally unchanged" and react by shouting "pvp is being stolen from us!"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267092

I read the OP, multiple times, and my criticism stands. You want to put the station on the lavaland or another similar planet, make activating the gateway the goal, and have waves of PvE mobs attack the station. Antags will be an afterthought if the gateway dominates every round. Most conflict will come from mobs. You might not explicitly state this, but I don't see how anyone can think that PvP elements will be the primary source of tension.

Dealing with "OOC conflict" is a policy issue. It is also part of your job. Do it or resign.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #267093

THE ROUND TYPES ARE STILL THE SAME

ARE YOU RETARDED

CAN YOU NOT READ

WHAT IS THE DISCONNECT HERE YOU MOUTHBREATHING FUCKING MONGOLOID

IM SO MAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #267094

Kor wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Please list the part in the OP where I said I am moving away from PVP so I can clarify or remove it.

I really don't understand how someone can read "rev, the mode where everyone kills everyone, is literally unchanged" and react by shouting "pvp is being stolen from us!"
The point about moving to more linear progression instead of stories built by the actions of individual players is still very much valid and instead of addressing that you've dismissed him me as not reading the thread.
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #267099

There will still be traitors though, and revs, and nuke ops, and wizards. There will be just as much player vs player as we have right now
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #267100

I think that everyone's thinking that the PvE element will always be the round's focus, which doesn't need to be true. It could be something to deal with on a similar level as station power is, aka don't ignore it or everything stops working, but it only takes a few people to do it, and can be done better for greater rewards.

PvE actually becoming an emergency threat should be a rare or very late round event, in my opinion, but it has its place since it does get the crew acting together, plus it's a nice way to see job rewards come to use.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267101

Wyzack wrote:THE ROUND TYPES ARE STILL THE SAME

ARE YOU RETARDED

CAN YOU NOT READ

More obnoxious giant text, because nobody gets this either:

Currently, antags are the main source of conflict in a round. Having no built-in goals makes each round a blank slate to be molded by the crew and the antags. With the proposed changes, the gateway and waves of mobs will be the main source of conflict as the round is built around them. Antags will be an afterthought.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #267103

Luke Cox wrote:
Wyzack wrote:THE ROUND TYPES ARE STILL THE SAME

ARE YOU RETARDED

CAN YOU NOT READ

More obnoxious giant text, because nobody gets this either:

Currently, antags are the main source of conflict in a round. Having no built-in goals makes each round a blank slate to be molded by the crew and the antags. With the proposed changes, the gateway and waves of mobs will be the main source of conflict as the round is built around them. Antags will be an afterthought.
i'd support you but i suddenly want to play rimworld rip ss13
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #267105

Last edited by captain sawrge on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267107

This isn't Rimworld. Rimworld is a terrible analogy for this. This is Left 4 Dead with one of the players having friendly fire enabled.
captain sawrge wrote:autism
>I can't handle people disagreeing with me REEEEEEE
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #267108

Luke Cox wrote:This isn't Rimworld. Rimworld is a terrible analogy for this. This is Left 4 Dead with one of the players having friendly fire enabled.
i'm feeding you to the tendrils
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267110

kevinz000 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:This isn't Rimworld. Rimworld is a terrible analogy for this. This is Left 4 Dead with one of the players having friendly fire enabled.
i'm feeding you to the tendrils
But for real, if you expect this to play out anything like Rimworld, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I can see the appeal but it won't work in SS13.

I'm not sure to be shocked or amused that I triggered Swarge so hard by disagreeing with Kor, and that he took the time to compile all those gifs rather than engage in debate.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #267111

Luke Cox wrote:You might not explicitly state this
Then please stop telling me I'm planning on doing it then. You keep saying "Left 4 Dead" which means you aren't even in the same book let alone on the same page.
Luke Cox wrote:Do your job
I am. There are more ways to deal with rulebreaking than just arguing and banning people forever.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #267112

Witness the impotent forum minority as he faces the insurmountable power of the foe list
How he crashes upon it like a wave upon a rock

why do you speak so confidently about something that doesn't exist yet
Are you a precog? Why aren't you doing more important things with that power?
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #267113

Basically, do you guys know what railroading is? I'd hope you do
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #267114

danno wrote:Witness the impotent forum minority as he faces the insurmountable power of the foe list
You shouldn't talk about the new headmin like that when he can hear you, it's rude.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #267117

Kor wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:You might not explicitly state this
Then please stop telling me I'm planning on doing it then. You keep saying "Left 4 Dead" which means you aren't even in the same book let alone on the same page.
Luke Cox wrote:Do your job
I am. There are more ways to deal with rulebreaking than just arguing and banning people forever.
I get wanting to cut down on OOC conflict, and that it can arise from mechanics too, but gutting the game isn't the way to go about doing this. I'm not arguing against this out of malice, I want you to understand why it isn't going to work before we devote development resources to it. I'd rather you pour all this effort into making what we already have better.

danno wrote:Witness the impotent forum minority as he faces the insurmountable power of the foe list
How he crashes upon it like a wave upon a rock

why do you speak so confidently about something that doesn't exist yet
Are you a precog? Why aren't you doing more important things with that power?
Children are funny. What I get from that is "I know you're right but I can't concede defeat". Does slightly disturb me that the server saw fit to give someone like that a position of power though.

I'm speaking confidently about this because it's common fucking sense and I'm amazed that more people aren't pointing this out. This isn't rocket science. People came here to play SS13, and Kor wants to fundamentally change what makes SS13 what it is. Nobody wants that. He's trying to solve a non-issue.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #267118

Monsters don't have to be coded necessarily to hijack rounds. They can be an external force without being all the round is about.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka