Tragedy of the commons, tg's lack of depth

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Tragedy of the commons, tg's lack of depth

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266900

Bottom post of the previous page:

Luke Cox wrote:Honestly I think you people are being way too pessimistic. Mining went from a puddle to an ocean last year, and Engineering is moving in a very promising direction with the new engine and power management. 2016 was amazing for TG. Personally, I think the best direction would be to make individual tasks a bit more complex to perform, proportionate to the payoff. Routine tasks will feel more rewarding, and be more prone to sabotage (more moving parts means more that can go wrong). Medical is the most in need of a rework. Currently, you dump someone in a sleeper or cryopod and push a button. That's painfully boring and shallow. We have a great surgery system, and the operating theater virtually never gets used. What if bullets had a chance to become embedded and had to be surgically removed? What if severe cuts had to be stitched up? What if traitors sabotaged medical so that people they shot up will die from not being treated? Medical has an incredible amount of potential.
That puddle is only knee deep, though it is wide. I think a new map was a good thing but we bottled it too much (kor seems keen to make that station standard setting though i think that's backing ourselves into a corner we can't dig ourselves out of since space has more possibilty) since there's not much more we can do in that 'Ocean' to actually improve it past the remarkable process we have already. Already the PR's have slowed down immensely

> Its a mining away mission that just had a lot of work done on it (all it is is a bit of dark ground, some boss mobs & loot, ores, lava, chasms associated mining objects, regular mobs & ghost roles all using normal station assets, that's not deep its just a wide spectrum of a detailed environment that people get bored of quickly when they have seen it all)

Which we can make the same argument for asteroid just being a less detailed enviroment but still functional away mission (muh space, with some rocks & a few mobs, junk flies onto it occasionally and loot hidden in caches in the rocks). As to engineering it was a agreed decision to move away from the instantly round destroying engines but the supermatter itself is a static lump of boring because we still collect off it the same way as any other machine (there are some PR's out to amend this by changing how atmos reacts with the supermatter)

As to mining i think a good cycle of a few detailed enviroments so it feels like a populated universe would help that in the same way goon goes into RP depth about its solarium locations (though hopefully not as pretentious in self importance) since with new environments there are new ideas (iamgolfball can play with cold mechanics in their specialty)

Station is a concrete hole still filled in, we need new places to pour idea cement paste.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #266915

space has more possibilty
Space is literally an empty void, that's why it's called space.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #266922

come on kor now you're just being willfully obtuse are you not familiar with literally 75% of science fiction
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #266927

Is this the thread where I talk about the loss of depth and interaction because everyone starts with literally everything they could ever want to do their job in terms of what maps provide players roundstart?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266928

I'm not being obtuse. Planet station is still set in sci-fi, with a space ship crash, and an alien world, and alien ruins, so he's not talking about space the setting, he's talking about space itself, the empty nothing we literally have in our game and surrounding our station for 9 z levels.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266932

bandit wrote:come on kor now you're just being willfully obtuse are you not familiar with literally 75% of science fiction
things in space are what is exciting, but the fact that there's so much in between the exciting things makes putting stuff in space to explore a poor decision imo
Limey wrote:its too late.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #266946

Qbopper wrote:
bandit wrote:come on kor now you're just being willfully obtuse are you not familiar with literally 75% of science fiction
things in space are what is exciting, but the fact that there's so much in between the exciting things makes putting stuff in space to explore a poor decision imo
not having anything static regarding space really did it in.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266952

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
also this, there's no way to know where anything interesting is or if you'll even make it back to the station, everything is designed to make gameplay on the station interesting, I don't see why we should make features for lone explorers to fuck off and ignore the round with

I already feel strongly about lavaland, this is that x1000 because at least lavaland has them collecting minerals for science/etc.
bandit

Post by bandit » #266953

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Is this the thread where I talk about the loss of depth and interaction because everyone starts with literally everything they could ever want to do their job in terms of what maps provide players roundstart?
This is another cause, yes. (You could also put in traitor uplinks/ling powers/etc providing traitors with literally everything they could ever want roundstart.)

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #266954

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
That was required because telesci space looting was too strong with static coordinates. What really kills space exploration is the huge blank z-level of nothing but stars we have specifically to make the space levels feel further apart.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266956

Kor wrote:I'm not being obtuse. Planet station is still set in sci-fi, with a space ship crash, and an alien world, and alien ruins, so he's not talking about space the setting, he's talking about space itself, the empty nothing we literally have in our game and surrounding our station for 9 z levels.
So you just want to have a static station that never expands (building on ground tiles, not even broadly interesting space atmos) working out, no space suits, nearly no escape shuttle (you've already discussed the functions of removing calling shuttle or making it a deadly serious thing that can't be recalled in a thread somewhere else) no travelling through space or greater exploration, we'd be stuck on 1 z level in its current form and only able to walk/teleport off it possibly later on.

Somehow this is kind of backwards to depth by pushing it inside a increasingly smaller box just to fit a narrative that's been written up in your sci-fi universal lore. (Ironically the station is a box, but there is a lot of space around the box) Its like asking people to drink flavoured water at Oktoberfest because people getting drunk is causing societal problems without cancelling the event because the festivity has been compromised by people who dislike & reject one thing over another.

> The lack of answers to Boss monsters, how to fix chasms caused by super huge explosions really screwing up and spawnkilling/irreclaimable and lava (which dumping bodies in is a bannable offence) burning everything & everyone to a crisp plus long burning times on lava often causing chain infernos needs to be addressed before we ever take that idea literally. Remove any of those aspects and its not lavaland and you're sort of betraying the premise.

The singularity/tesla wouldn't work because space is the base turf tile and eventually if you destroy the planet enough past a chasm you reveal space, without making literally a seperate server or game folder its impractical.
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Is this the thread where I talk about the loss of depth and interaction because everyone starts with literally everything they could ever want to do their job in terms of what maps provide players roundstart?
There's that too, we don't have the tools to exercise our depths by really TRYING us because we just spam mutagen/disks for easy genetics because its easier to meta, from talking to folks, most coders are shitters who usually make things to benefit their own personal playstyles and gripes.

> Endless tweaks to heads that code maintainers actually had to step in and lay down the law to stop touching that shit, mekhi crying non stop over RD teleporting armor nerf, botany memes, medbay is a profession for braindeads when there is a cure for everything usually in a pill. Mappers add rooms implied for RP just for aesthetic then shove it full of loot. Metastation has a lot of stuff, maybe too much stuff.

You could try making the station design much looser so that certain areas are actually cross z level to encourage moving in (most players have never even left the station map) like how the asteroid used to be with a air of consistency that made the base 'Hub' of the station (but thats obviously obscured by the pseudo space movement rules without taking special teleport pipes known as griefable shuttles)

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266958

I can't reply fully right now but for the record building anything off the station is rarely a thing that happens (from my experience)
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266961

Qbopper wrote:I can't reply fully right now but for the record building anything off the station is rarely a thing that happens (from my experience)
Neither have the tools (lots of sheets of everything/planning) or the time, though mining shelters make good starting point prefabs because they are ventilated.

Also to what purpose? Usually its done to hide something or work discreetly.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #266964

Qbopper wrote:I can't reply fully right now but for the record building anything off the station is rarely a thing that happens (from my experience)
Because fun is banned. Anything interesting you build will be bombed, griefed, or have a shuttle called over a stubbed toe before its finished. I lament that there's just not a lot of excitement for building projects, but It really just feels like a symptom of the bigger problem that the collective server attention span has gotten shorter.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266966

cedarbridge wrote:
Because fun is banned. Anything interesting you build will be bombed, griefed, or have a shuttle called over a stubbed toe before its finished. I lament that there's just not a lot of excitement for building projects, but It really just feels like a symptom of the bigger problem that the collective server attention span has gotten shorter.
A directionless sandbox for griefers until shuttle is called (they are all rollin4antag)

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266969

Building structures on a planet is far easier than building and pressurizing them in space, and building will be far more practical and rewarding when the station actually serves an end goal rather than something you can freely abandon at the first sign of trouble.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266978

But literally why would you want to build it when mappers do all the work for you giving you a detailed station & maint? Time to go dwarf fortress mode on ya'll and start off with only a 10x10 small prefab base on a rogue planet with a depleting plasma generator, its literally the only way that'd work and even then griefers would ruin it 5 minutes flat by throwing syndiebombs around and crumbling the whole station (full built/prefab or not maxcaps also work) in to a chasm.

Because admins are so whiny about spacemen never leaving the station, all the jobs are packaged into the station (leading to "Owo what's this" additions to mining which is still free to outward content expansion). Hence why ideas like explorers get shot down because space is full of emptyness and coders don't put things out of reach to be found.

Xenoarcheology on VG discreetly & randomly puts things in rocks to be found which adds depth to science in decoding what those objects are and how to use them (like our anomalous meme crystal for a short while) without giving them to you on a plate or even a guranteed chance to see them. People work for hours on xenobiology in much the same way as a invested process even though redistribution of what you make is slow.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266980

coders don't put things out of reach to be found.
We do sometimes, but players figured out it's easier to ask admins to spawn them in a TC trade than to go looking for them
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266992

There's a big problem there then isn't there if you just blurt out your biggest secrets there and then, wasting the time and effort to conceal it in the first place.

Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #266997

What is open source codebase
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267005

Shaps wrote:What is open source codebase
if you're trying to say "we can't have secrets because open source" that's a strawman argument, there's more to having secrets than "put the item in a corner of maint"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #267009

This thread is supposed to be about how we can put in place a structure that supports depth and focus, not an ideas thread for deep mechanics.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #267018

oranges wrote:This thread is supposed to be about how we can put in place a structure that supports depth and focus, not an ideas thread for deep mechanics.
So instead of stating your goal, try giving direction to what you would consider an answer to your question instead of restating the question.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #267089

If I knew the answer to the question I wouldn't be asking it
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #267172

Here's my suggestion for making the command staff less toe-stubby

Station scores.
The station, with the command staff named (and probbably shamed), get given a point total at the end of the round depending on lots of factors, such as "the number of bloody tiles", "The length of the shift", "total R&D levels" and stuff.
If the point level is too low, the command staff are ridiculed.
If its high enough, they're praised.

People like making numbers bigger and having their name next to a green "successful!", it could help.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #267177

did you read a single post in this thread?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #267186

I got stuck on all the posts saying "we cant have depth because people dont get a chance to do anything meaningful before the shuttle is on its way"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267192

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I got stuck on all the posts saying "we cant have depth because people dont get a chance to do anything meaningful before the shuttle is on its way"
I think people feel the issue is "there's nothing that makes people want to do anything meaningful so the shuttle gets called", so your suggestion isn't a terrible one (even if I don't think it'll work as intended)
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #267196

There's nothing getting done
so people get bored
so people call the shuttle
so nobody bothers doing anything that takes any time as the shuttle will get called before they finish
so nothing gets done
so people get bored
etc
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267200

Screemonster wrote:There's nothing getting done
so people get bored
so people call the shuttle
so nobody bothers doing anything that takes any time as the shuttle will get called before they finish
so nothing gets done
so people get bored
etc
also a valid interpretation, but what do I know about this game
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #267225

If you'll forgive a little shilling, I made a proposal on how to add some depth to medical: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10107

Right now, mining is in a great place and engineering is moving towards a great place with a great new engine and remote power management. Cargo is showing some potential with the stock market computer and coderbus' flirting with a proper economic system. Science is fine apart from R&D, but that's an issue for another day. If we can make medical compelling, we'll fix half the problem. We've made substantial progress, and as I've said before, people are grossly overestimating the scope of the problem.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #267349

Qbopper wrote:
Shaps wrote:What is open source codebase
if you're trying to say "we can't have secrets because open source" that's a strawman argument, there's more to having secrets than "put the item in a corner of maint"
I added a space ruin with a non-descript spear in space without a changelog.

Jughu TC traded for it within an hour of it being live on the servers.

Kor's thing should help, you'd be able to add deep shit regarding it in regards to gear crafted from monster pieces, be it advanced healing chems using ones blood, or a fufilling monster jerky from the chef.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #267366

I think that's more a criticism of TC trades than anything else tbh
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #267384

Admin interference i read that as Q-bopper in directly engineering a round rather than letting it happen because they won't actually build a solid event (= see admin complaints where admins have dropped traitor antags out of sympathy)

> Events are hard to construct granted but they were designated rounds for tomfoolery we were warned about, not admins are just randomly pressing buttons to entertain themselves.

Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #268561

ShadowDimentio wrote:Width of an ocean, depth of a puddle. That's TG.

I agree with you, Oranges, but I don't think there's an answer anywhere to be found that will make people happy. Kor tried the whole "design lead" thing but nothing ever really came of it except him getting to dead stop PRs he didn't like.
Shadow, though the exact opposite might be an even bigger issue. Depth of an ocean, but width of a puddle. Aka very deep, complex, fluff, etc. features, but a very narrow amount of features. That would rapidly end up with things becoming boring.

Though, a middle ground which is width of a dam and depth of a dam would....ehhh, I don't know.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #268811

Some stuff is going to remain shallow no matter what. We're never going to add much depth to the clown for example.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #268813

I DEMAND ADVANCED SLIPPING PHYSICS AND A CUSTOM ANIMATION FOR SLIPPING RIGHT NNNNNNOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #268819

MisterPerson wrote:Some stuff is going to remain shallow no matter what. We're never going to add much depth to the clown for example.
clown needs a point reward system
bandit

Post by bandit » #268826

The way to add depth to medical is baymed, people just don't want to do it

admin feedback pls
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #268831

bandit wrote:The way to add depth to medical is baymed, people just don't want to do it
medical needs a point reward system

non shitpost: I'm not really sure what we can do to create depth if the players don't want it and that's the impression a lot of people give me
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #268832

bandit wrote:The way to add depth to medical is baymed, people just don't want to do it
There's other way to do it. Look at being a medic in TF2 or Overwatch. Sure it's literally point n' heal, but there's depth from other systems.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #268842

clearly this is not the right place to ask my question
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #268925

>make thread about moderating coder PR making
>thread immediatly and irreversibly turns into everyone arguing about what system is shallowest and what features would fix it

It was inevitable
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #268936

Wyzack wrote:>make thread about moderating coder PR making
>thread immediatly and irreversibly turns into everyone arguing about what system is shallowest and what features would fix it

It was inevitable
The lack of direction is spilling over even here!

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #268940

Are we really at the point where the biggest ideas for making people want to do their job is arbitrary good boy points on the screen?

Just add a fucking little glowing green +1 floating away from people's heads like the heal beam crosses whenever someone with (job tag) touches (job thing)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #268941

Saegrimr wrote:Are we really at the point where the biggest ideas for making people want to do their job is arbitrary good boy points on the screen?

Just add a fucking little glowing green +1 floating away from people's heads like the heal beam crosses whenever someone with (job tag) touches (job thing)
This would be funnier if I didn't just basically open this PR as a joke and then had people take it seriously and support it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #268942

Wait did you really

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/25190

AHAHA HOLY SHIT
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #268972

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #269628

Kor wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Are we really at the point where the biggest ideas for making people want to do their job is arbitrary good boy points on the screen?

This would be funnier if I didn't just basically open this PR as a joke and then had people take it seriously and support it.
meme PR prank video [GONE TOO FAR]
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #269802

Here is my idea:

Coderbus should come up with a idea, and then work around the idea.

For example: Coderbus comes up with several ideas and one gets voted on.

Everyone contributes something to it and work around the concept for a week/month/ however long.

Coderbus celebrates after they are done by getting recognition on tgstation for a month.

Anyways that's Mute's stupid idea.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #269809

no more