Lizard species is the worst new feature to be added to this

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Lizard species is the worst new feature to be added to this

Post by Scott » #26875

game. I'll enumerate the reasons for why I think this:

a) When you select your species as Lizard and you save your character setup, it does not actually save the species.
b) Lizard does not differ from human in any way, except when it comes to AI laws. Lizards should have perks to balance this, like toxin damage resistance and cold resistance.
c) The tail needs to be a third grasping member, giving the Lizards three "hands" to hold things.
d) The tail grows out of the crotch when lizards face north.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Lizard species is the worst new feature to be added to t

Post by Ikarrus » #26876

We're going to have to be careful about what kind of benefits we'll give them if we go this way. It's going to be very tricky to balance and not end up with one that outshines the rest in the powergaming department.

I don't even think being non-human is much of a disadvantage given they're still under Rule 1 protection.

At the very least I ask that we wait a few weeks for the newness to settle down before discussing buffs/debuffs.

IMO though, I kind of like where they are right now. They're the cheap, under-appreciated, subservient workers to the Human Master Race (by which I mean the Human Corporation, Nanotrasen)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #26877

Scott wrote:game. I'll enumerate the reasons for why I think this:

a) When you select your species as Lizard and you save your character setup, it does not actually save the species..
This is a bug. Minor bugs are not a reason to call an update awful.
Scott wrote:b) Lizard does not differ from human in any way, except when it comes to AI laws. Lizards should have perks to balance this, like toxin damage resistance and cold resistance.
You're telling me an optional race is bad because you don't get to be super special. Maybe people want to roleplay and do their own thing and you don't have to be a lizardman. That being said, what Ikarrus said.
Scott wrote:c) The tail needs to be a third grasping member, giving the Lizards three "hands" to hold things.
This is actually just your second point, with a heavy dose of opinion on something to be added - except you're acting like the fact that they're not tail-snowflakey is a terrible terrible thing.
Scott wrote:d) The tail grows out of the crotch when lizards face north.
This is a spriting flaw. Minor spriting flaws are not a reason to call an update awful.

[youtube]M5QGkOGZubQ[/youtube]
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Apsis

Post by Apsis » #26878

I don't like the horn things. What was wrong with the other default lizardman sprite?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #26916

I believe they had night vision at first but it was removed for the time being

Could you please give us some time to get over the honeymoon period of lizards before we start playing around with racial bonuses?

Cheers thanks bye
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26934

Scott wrote:game. I'll enumerate the reasons for why I think this:

a) When you select your species as Lizard and you save your character setup, it does not actually save the species.
b) Lizard does not differ from human in any way, except when it comes to AI laws. Lizards should have perks to balance this, like toxin damage resistance and cold resistance.
c) The tail needs to be a third grasping member, giving the Lizards three "hands" to hold things.
d) The tail grows out of the crotch when lizards face north.
Are you actually serious?

Species don't need special perks. And they should be like hulks for AI. That's what I think. It's just more fun that way. Nobody forces you to play as a lizard.

Just fix their ears. And some hats don't really align well on their heads (like witch doctor hat).
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #26939

Lizards can see one tile further in absolute darkness, but ever since ADVANCED DARKNESS was added that's been mostly a moot point.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #26976

Lizards are as bad as the players choose to make them. Seen a lot of atrocious asshole behavior and it isn't from the lizards.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27039

Incoming wrote:Lizards can see one tile further in absolute darkness, but ever since ADVANCED DARKNESS was added that's been mostly a moot point.
Lizards do not get any special advantages. The only differences are:
-They have tails!
- They cannot have hair.
- They speak with "hisses" instead of "says".
- They have more skin (scale) color choices.
- They have slashes instead of punches.
- They had more 's' letters added when they speak.
- They give lizard meat instead of human meat.

Proof below.

Code: Select all

/datum/species/lizard
	// Reptilian humanoids with scaled skin and tails.
	name = "Lizardperson"
	id = "lizard"
	say_mod = "hisses"
	default_color = "00FF00"
	roundstart = 1
	specflags = list(MUTCOLORS,EYECOLOR,LIPS)
	attack_verb = "slash"
	attack_sound = 'sound/weapons/slash.ogg'
	miss_sound = 'sound/weapons/slashmiss.ogg'
	meat = /obj/item/weapon/reagent_containers/food/snacks/meat/human/mutant/lizard

/datum/species/lizard/handle_speech(message)
	// jesus christ why
	if(copytext(message, 1, 2) != "*")
		message = replacetext(message, "s", stutter("ss"))
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #27064

It baffles me how there can be this much anger over lizards considering they literally do nothing.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #27090

MisterPerson wrote:It baffles me how there can be this much anger over lizards considering they literally do nothing.
That's why we're angry! Damn lizards taking all our jerbs!
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27094

MisterPerson wrote:It baffles me how there can be this much anger over lizards considering they literally do nothing.
Racism, of course. Prison and the internet are the two biggest outlets of it. Greenskins are the new African Americans.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #27107

I'm perfectly fine with the 'space racism' that comes with being a lizardman, and even in some cases, its fun to arrpee with (as long as they don't go overboard with it). My main problem is as of right now, theres some people going around attacking lizards just because. If they fight back, it usually ends with them calling for the borgs to defend them.

I actually had this happen to me while playing as a lizard atmos tech, getting flat-out gang banged by 3 assistants after the first one threw the starting punch, only for a borg to come to their aid, sedate me, and them attempting to order the borg to flat out kill me on the spot.

This was during a malf round.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27114

I don't like it. I really can't say why. Maybe it has something to do with furries, I dunno.

It was really an an unnecessary change considering all the other stuff we need to improve on. Adding a new race has only added more policy shitflinging.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #27123

Look lizard is really more of a test to ensure mutantrace datums work correctly than any actual feature filled gameplay

mutant races lets us do cool stuff later down the track.

In fact a lot of recent work in the codebase has been lag improvement and cleaning up a lot of code to make it simpler to add/modify
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27124

Being able to pick your race when you join up has been around for a long time. It just wasn't until recently did SoS toggle the config setting.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #27147

I see nothing wrong with more choices in this game.

When I'm a borg, it's only when a lizard does something truly and grotesquely harmful to prove they'll harm people in the future that I'll ever consider terminating them. Until then, it's either I follow the AI's direction or treat them as another human with the logic that they are a crewmember who takes the safety and well being of this station as much into consideration as I beep boop do until proven otherwise, and any people willing to neglect them as a fellow crewmember are likely to harm another in the future being deranged and dangerous people. Putting three humans in jail because they attacked a lizardman who attacked them back does as much to keep them from harm as putting the lizard in jail does.

Inversely,

CLOWN JOB IS THE WORST NEW FEATURE ADDED TO THIS

SS13 doesn't need a why. It just needs a few carefully placed 'why nots?'
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #27180

Funny think is lizzardpeople have been in the code/playable for quite a bit of time, just not choose-able from the character screen, you had to admin request it. It was never a problem then when people would randomly ask for lizardjanitor or lizzardchemist.

I like to think of it exactly like every other character detail, its just aesthetics/padding for RP purposes. Like everything else on a human, age has NO effect on actual game play, race doesn't, having hair or not doesn't. It's all just to create a character you want to play. Why do you need EXTRA perks? Has the non-human AI issue ever ACTUALLY been a problem? (apart from that one lizzardcaust, but yeah...)
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27187

Spoiler: The lizardcaust was pertetrated by a traitor AI. I know because I was the admin at the time.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #27263

Humans should always be the best race, that way we don't have 100 players playing lizards.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27317

Giacom wrote:Humans should always be the best race, that way we don't have 100 players playing lizards.
Gia, humans are always the best race no matter what.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #27320

Don't lizards have a bit of temp resistance?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27321

paprika wrote:Don't lizards have a bit of temp resistance?
No. Their differences are purely cosmetic, as proven in the code I posted earlier. They give a unique meat, though.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #27337

Gun Hog wrote:
No. Their differences are purely cosmetic, as proven in the code I posted earlier. They give a unique meat, though.
I need to get some exotic meat recipes made so the chef can try to go all octodad on people.

Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #27637

It's a cosmetic addition that gives no added value or gameplay depth.
I'm uneasy with the fact of having another specie on the station. I don't want to wake up one day and realize you can now also play as an elf or dwarf.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #27674

Half of this game is cosmetic addition that gives no added value or gameplay depth.

And if you say it adds LITERALLY nothing to the game, then you haven't played for the past 12 days where people are greytiding against each other instead of specifically against security. At least there are some new jokes and scenarios happening.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #27697

Incoming wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:
I need to get some exotic meat recipes made so the chef can try to go all octodad on people.
Special meat>chef murdering lizards to gib them ai doesnt care cuz.no humans
security pass by Did you murder lizards>yes?>Great than theres more jobs availble

if lizards mostly get janitor cargo jobs
image a lizard captain

i once asked the admins ro be lizard there was several poeple
i asked the captain to be the lizards captain so he did it.so i gathered weapons
changed the ai laws to respect lizards to and started attack on the human race

those where good time
The future is horrible!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #27703

Remove Lizard, you say it's cosmetic now, but it's one step closer to some bullshit like Vox. Lizards should be as they were, available to people at the discretion of badmins. Janitor preferred.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #27711

Lumbermancer wrote:Remove Lizard, you say it's cosmetic now, but it's one step closer to some bullshit like Vox. Lizards should be as they were, available to people at the discretion of badmins. Janitor preferred.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Kuraudo

Post by Kuraudo » #27728

Cipher3 wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:Remove Lizard, you say it's cosmetic now, but it's one step closer to some bullshit like Vox. Lizards should be as they were, available to people at the discretion of badmins. Janitor preferred.
The slippery slope is not a logical fallacy. Functionalism in international relation is based on a slippery slope mechanism. Practical example: The creation of the EU and it's growth.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #27736

Kuraudo wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
The slippery slope is not a logical fallacy. Functionalism in international relation is based on a slippery slope mechanism. Practical example: The creation of the EU and it's growth.
Slipperly slopes may actually exist, but the fallacy is in assuming that the lizard species will lead to things like the Vox. Even if he wasn't saying that, removing things because they might lead to something unwanted is kind of dumb.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #27737

Konork wrote:
Kuraudo wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
Slipperly slopes may actually exist, but the fallacy is in assuming that the lizard species will lead to things like the Vox. Even if he wasn't saying that, removing things because they might lead to something unwanted is kind of dumb.
This. ^ ^ ^
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #27754

I'd love to play as a dwarf

why would you not
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #27769

oranges wrote:I'd love to play as a dwarf

why would you not
Would certainly make the bartender more appreciated if there was a race who's movespeed went to shit if they weren't drunk often enough

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27770

I would assume no one has done dwarfs because needing new sprites for clothes is a bit hefty.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #27772

Incomptinence wrote:I would assume no one has done dwarfs because needing new sprites for clothes is a bit hefty.
Yeah anything that requires a sprite of a different height would require a simply hideous amount of sprite work, it'd be akin to asking for fatsprites back.

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #27777

oranges wrote:I'd love to play as a dwarf

why would you not
Seconded.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27787

Make elves.

An easy change that can done with fewer pixels than I have fingers.

And trolls, too, pls. Avatar related.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #27788

Trolls should only be able to wear the gray and/or clown suit.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #27790

If your going to add more alien species, try and make something more unique than Elves/Dwarves/Goblins.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27791

Maybe gollems and their inability to wear certain classes of clothes are a good model for the addition of alt races. I mean idiots seem to want a servile class so bad why not just flat out summon them for needy control freaks.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #27794

Steelpoint wrote:If your going to add more alien species, try and make something more unique than Elves/Dwarves/Goblins.
Insectoids. Horrible lack of them in vidya these days.

Flypeople don't count. They are horrible mutants and deserve nothing but suffering.

I'm talking giant bipedal ants/mantises
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27801

Incomptinence wrote:Maybe gollems and their inability to wear certain classes of clothes are a good model for the addition of alt races. I mean idiots seem to want a servile class so bad why not just flat out summon them for needy control freaks.
I'm still waiting for my golems to get access to hats again.
Kuraudo

Post by Kuraudo » #27821

Konork wrote:
Kuraudo wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
We accepted wizards, then golems, then fly people, then lizards. So they are definitely not the point A, the starting point on the slippery slope of strange players controlled humanoids being added.
The players can legitimately ask: "What next after this ?"
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #27822

What's weird and fantastic about there being intelligent aliens in a canon which already features intelligent aliens again?
Wizards are dramatically weirder than Lizards, as are Changelings, and Golems.
Flypeople are a pop culture sci-fi reference.

I don't think this can really be plotted onto that proposed slope at all.
Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #27838

Kuraudo wrote:
Konork wrote:
Kuraudo wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
We accepted wizards, then golems, then fly people, then lizards. So they are definitely not the point A, the starting point on the slippery slope of strange players controlled humanoids being added.
The players can legitimately ask: "What next after this ?"
Who cares and why should it matter? If someone's willing to put the work in that doesn't force me to put in any effort whatsoever so some person across station can get their SSSSSS-SSSSSS hissing related kicks or slashy noise when they attack someone, why the fuck would I tell them no or discourage it?

Who the fuck cares if there's a slippery slope to something? I don't know what Vox is and I don't give a flying fuck. Maybe it doesn't add much to the game that these people are getting tails and horns and green skin, but it takes away much, much less from the game if anything at all.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #27841

All I know about the Vox is that they are antagonists on Baystation or somewhere.

I fail to see any real negative in the addition of non-human races as playable characters. If we are concerned about the de-emphasis on humans we can simply introduce restrictions on certain role to humans only, such as my earlier suggestion on forcing Sec/Command to be human only.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #27853

Steelpoint wrote:All I know about the Vox is that they are antagonists on Baystation or somewhere.

I fail to see any real negative in the addition of non-human races as playable characters. If we are concerned about the de-emphasis on humans we can simply introduce restrictions on certain role to humans only, such as my earlier suggestion on forcing Sec/Command to be human only.
^official bay station
>unofficial bay station servers it's a choosable race for rp
>vox mode vox crewmembers + vox raiders =rip vox
That's why you can't make things available like as a example there is a wizard job and be like wizard in a wizard round rip you
The future is horrible!
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #27864

Ezel wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:All I know about the Vox is that they are antagonists on Baystation or somewhere.

^official bay station
That's why you can't make things available like as a example there is a wizard job and be like wizard in a wizard round rip you
Spoiler:
Why do you never have punctuation?
By unofficial you mean knockoff servers using Baycode. And that's literally entirely irrelevant. What you're saying is that Lizardpeople are going to lead to Vox races and Vox gamemode and that's gonna get non-antag Vox killed and then making a comparison to a station wizard job (wut) and thusly we should not have lizardpeople because this could end up like when antags are the same species as nonantags? There's literally no logical chain of progression in Lizardpeople = a wizard station job that gets lynched every wizard round.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #27872

Cipher3 wrote:
Ezel wrote:

^official bay station
Spoiler:
Why do you never have punctuation?
By unofficial you mean knockoff servers using Baycode. And that's literally entirely irrelevant. What you're saying is that Lizardpeople are going to lead to Vox races and Vox gamemode and that's gonna get non-antag Vox killed and then making a comparison to a station wizard job (wut) and thusly we should not have lizardpeople because this could end up like when antags are the same species as nonantags? There's literally no logical chain of progression in Lizardpeople = a wizard station job that gets lynched every wizard round.
Never not lynch lizards apparently. v0v