Bloodbowl

Talk about video games here
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Bloodbowl

Post by XSI » #28533

Edit: We have a league! NanoTrasen League of Honkery Open. Pass is Comdom

Not sure if I asked it here before, but I once again seem to be out of (willing) Bloodbowl opponents after making 3 (accidental) kills on my brothers brand new human team in one match.

Understandable as its a pretty niche sort of game, but it's amusing and I feel like playing it.
So if you want to give it a go and hopefully not get entirely annihilated, give me a poke and we'll figure it out.

For those who don't know Bloodbowl, it's what happens when the Warhammer fantasy setting decides to all come together and play their version of extremely violent american football. Players can, and will die on the field. Its gameplay is unique in a way as it isn't the same sort of skill as most people understand. You still need to plan and such, but the skill in Bloodbowl is mostly about minimising the chance of bad things to happen to you and maximise the chance your opponent gets fucked. Sadly, this means the online random match finder will not work, since people take it to an extreme and found that the best way to consistently not have bad things happen to you is to just not play. (Read: They just grab the ball and hide in a corner, then surround the ball carrier with 6 or more players to keep it safe FOREVER, without ever actually scoring a point) I can't figure out why they'd enjoy that, since that's clearly against the spirit of the game, but it does mean that I can't play normal online matchmaking.

If you need to figure out how to play, here's a good tutorial. Figuring it out while you play is a good way to get your team killed.
But that's okay, you can make a new team any time you want and you can make as many as you want, and it's just fun to experiment

It's a bit strong with "Don't do this" stuff, you can do a lot of those things just fine if you have to or feel like it, but it's worth learning about those mechanics before risking your gameplan on them
In part 2 it also explains the '2-1 grind' which is basically meta for tournament play and such. While it works to let you win, it's boring to play against. But it does open up a new way of playing by just killing the players of every tryhard that does it in public random matchmaking. Lovely butthurt from that if they're sitting one tile from the touchdown zone and you just kill off their guys. If you're up against one of those, don't bother with the ball, just cripple his team.

If you need to figure out what game it is
http://store.steampowered.com/app/58520/
(Or the Chaos edition, which is 10bux more than Legendary, has different race options, is newer, and can still play against Legendary edition players.)
Last edited by XSI on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Bloodbowl

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28536

Sure, I have Bloodbowl. Let's do a tournament.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #28539

I play the hell outta this game.
XSI

Post by XSI » #28562

Neat, actual players

Do we want to just play a bunch of matches or should I start looking into how to set up a tournament/league/whatever its called?
Or we could just play a bunch of matches first and then if we want to keep playing turn it into a league
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28570

Well we have like 3 players. I'm ready to play some right now.
XSI

Post by XSI » #28575

Sounds good to me, feel free to add me on steam (Xenus Icelon), and then just send me a poke on there to figure out the rest
XSI

Post by XSI » #28603

Just had a first match with decent results. Not even any permanent injuries
So long as you don't count being dead as either permanent or as injury
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28693

Yeah I'll go play video games that are actually good, mkay
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #28703

Shots fired
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
XSI

Post by XSI » #28733

Now that's not fair. Just because sometimes stuff goes wrong doesn't mean its a bad game. I can understand if you don't like it though, Blood Bowl is not something everyone enjoys.(Though with how chaotic and seemingly random SS13 gets, I figured there would be more interest here than anywhere else)

Ah well. TheBibleMelts?
What's your steam? I'll give you a poke sometime
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28735

Blood bowl is fun what're you talking about.

It's just sometimes the rolls aren't on your side and you end up with a bunch of retarded goblins in your team without a brain and shit.

(I got it as well we should play one day)
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28760

ColonicAcid wrote:It's just sometimes the rolls aren't on your side and you end up with a bunch of retarded goblins in your team without a brain and shit.
Which is exactly why I'll play something that isn't as frustrating. It's a tad too RNG for my taste and the worst part is, it doesn't hide it.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #28762

>/tg/station
>complaining about rng

insert smug anime face here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #29131

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
ColonicAcid wrote:It's just sometimes the rolls aren't on your side and you end up with a bunch of retarded goblins in your team without a brain and shit.
Which is exactly why I'll play something that isn't as frustrating. It's a tad too RNG for my taste and the worst part is, it doesn't hide it.
I keep writing really long-winded paragraphs based on my experience playing in different Blood Bowl leagues. I've played for years in real-life tabletop leagues, on fumbl, and on Steam.

Basically I can sum it all up by saying thus: You have the wrong attitude when it comes to this game and, if you can't change it, you shouldn't play it. Because you wont have any fun and you will ruin the fun of others.

Blood Bowl is a very dicey game where your very favorite player can easily trip, fall, and die with no recourse. And because it has a persistent element to it, you will have to deal with that setback for the rest of your team's career. There are two ways players deal with this, and I recommend a combination of both:

1) Learn the in's and out's of each action and the risk/reward for doing so. Learn what skills give you re-rolls to what. Play the game enough to know what things really are random, and what are actually avoidable or can be mitigated. Learn what the difference is between "Sprint" and "Sure Footed" when making go-for-it rolls. Learn the game enough to be able to look out for your players better.

2) Learn to live with it. It's a not-too-serious game where any second a wizard might just throw a fireball at the field and incinerate half the players. Learn to appreciate that everything is fleeting and you should more often just laugh at the ridiculous carnage going on than complain that your meticulously crafted star player just got his skull caved in. There's always next season.

I've never seen people get more ass-ravaged then during games of Blood Bowl. I've seen people get kicked out of my LGS for their behavior. I've seen people flip tables, take swings at eachother, pick up their whole team and just dump it in the garbage, etc. And the funny thing is? All the players who got the angriest over the game were also the worst people in our leagues. None of the giants in the room ever acted like that, even when losing and getting their players slaughtered and crippled left and right they would laugh about it. Of course I'm sure they would prefer that shit like that DIDN'T happen, but you have to be able to appreciate the game whether you're winning it or losing it before you can really master it.

NOW there also are a lot of common mistakes made in Blood Bowl leagues where commissioners don't regulate the teams' games enough and you get certain players essentially power-leveling themselves by repeatedly playing eachother or purposely cherry-picking teams they know they have a favorable match up with. Players not forfeiting when they should, or trying to flood the league by playing 15 different teams all at once and whittling that number down to only keeping the teams that had the best luck and most victories. But that's a wholly different conversation and cutting shitty commissioners down to size is great fun for another day.

The gist of all this is simply:

1) Bite the bullet and keep playing. The more you play the less grossly random it is, though it will still be fairly random.

2) Learn to stop treasuring your team and enjoy the carnage. Learn to smile with a mouthful of broken teeth.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29134

An0n3 wrote:Basically I can sum it all up by saying thus: You have the wrong attitude when it comes to this game and, if you can't change it, you shouldn't play it.
I literally just said that I won't be playing it any more because I personally don't like it. I think I got it, thanks.
XSI

Post by XSI » #29176

An0n3 wrote: 2) Learn to stop treasuring your team and enjoy the carnage. Learn to smile with a mouthful of broken teeth.
Honk
Clown spaced half my team
Honk honk
Halp shitcurity maiming my mime
Honk

I think this point is the important one. Much like SS13, just sit back and enjoy the game. It may not always go as you want it, but that's part of the fun, and in many cases its part of the whole attraction about it. I may be awful at Bloodbowl, I don't follow winning strategies, teambuilds, or take the best actions. I just give players skills that 'sound good', and I only rarely win the random matchmaking it has(I blame tryhards with 1100 point value undead teams where all players are level 3-4 for that), but I like playing it and that means I'll be able to just laugh about it all
On that note, I have a dark elf team. They are around 2000 in team score but they've been beat up and killed so often their actual value is probably closer to 1500. I have one elf that got +1 str on leveling up, and then the game after that that elf was injured with a permanent -1 strength. I've had the same for several elves with +agility who have died since then. The team is pretty much dead as far as serious competition goes, but they're still fun to play. It was the first team I started up too. For all the injuries, losses, and dead elves, they're the team of which I remember the most great moments.
Sadly, the 2000ish point value means nobody wants to play against them. They all expect an awesome dark elf team that they can't do anything about
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #29189

My team full of frenzy guys is p. gud at giving me red skulls.

Red skulls and surfing.

Woop.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #29193

We have a great LGS here in Syracuse and the owner is a cool dude.

Blood Bowl is his favorite game.
He did a lot of special orders and selling stuff roughly around cost for the local leagues to encourage more people to play. I have an original Blood Bowl board set I bought from him for practically nothing loooooong after it was discontinued. He was like "yeah I could probably get more for this boxing it up to sell it online but I'd rather someone here has it".

Incidentally? He never ever ever ever wins anything. He has the worst track record of everyone in the game. Like he is legit 100% cursed. None of us can explain it but we all feel bad but meanwhile he is just laughing his ass off the whole time. If you could cheat in reverse, like cheat so that you lost everything and were wrecked hard every game I would suspect he was a reverse cheater.

The first game I ever played with him, I was a noobie player rolling with my first team (Dark Elf) vs. his favorite team (Ogres).

Before the first ball could even be kicked off, like as soon as the horn started to begin the game
a fan threw a rock and killed one of his ogres. Just like that. 120,000 player dead.

And I'm like "Oh shit I'm so sorry-" looking up and he's just laughing his ass off. And then he shows me his roster and all of his other ogres and halflings are covered in injuries. He's never won a game in the whole league and his team is getting slaughtered and he's laughing his ass off leading this team of cripples and idiots to the field every weekend.

Be like that guy. Learn to see the game like he does and you'll never have a "bad game".
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #29416

Last timr I played I got really ass blasted when my all star human team got massacared, learnt the value of an ogre team that doesn't ever get the ball and just smashes skulls in
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #29469

I love Skaven.

We're fast and we're relatively cheap. Our goal is to score as many points as possible while trying to find tall grass to hide in on the pitch.

I also love Chaos, which is prettymuch the polar opposite. CRUSH KILL DESTROY. CRUSH KILL DESTROY. Oh right there's a ball we should try to score a point or two while we're here. CRUSH KILL DESTROY.

Now that being said? I've had fluke games where my Skavens have drunk deeply of the warp and go on a frenzy of biting and clawing. Where we massacre both on the scoreboard and in the dugouts.

I've also had fluke games where my Chaos team gets its ass kicked up and down the field by waifish Elves who are tired of being called dandelion eaters and aren't going to take it anymore.

You just learn to enjoy each game as a font of "holy shit did that just happen" moments no matter which side you're on. The time I threw the ball at my minotaur in random hopes that he might be able to score a TD, only to have the ball bounce right off of him and directly into the hands of the guy who threw it at him. Watching someone get knocked into the crowd only to get launched back onto the pitch near the endzone, while the crowd also tosses the ball towards their feet in blatant favoritism. Wizards fucking up and causing more damage to the team that hired them than the team they were called in on.

It's a ridiculous game through and through. You will have amazing underdog victories. You will crush your enemies. You will suffer bitter defeats and death. You will see some shit happen that defies all logic and wont ever happen in any other round of any other game again.

The only wrong thing you can do is get hung up on losing games and losing players. And it's such a goddamn shame because I see so many people do it.

If you ragequit you'll never get to see what happens when a dwarven deathroller, a goblin fanatic, and a star player with a chainsaw all take to the field at the same time.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #29479

they should rename it buttbowl, because its a receptacle for poop
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #29961

I would be game for a bloodbowl league.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #30069

Someone else needs to start it and run it because I got enough shit going on already.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #30090

I could look into league stuff.
So far, we've just had random matches as far as I know

I'll see about starting it up and what to do with it tomorrow when I get out of bed(Not necessarily morning, since I have tomorrow off)
XSI

Post by XSI » #30210

The way I'm seeing it we have...Three? four? players? I'll set it to four then, we'll go through that and then see if we want to do more

I've just made a tournament of a ...Oh god what are these types of tournaments I'm not even american what is this I don't even...Uh... Cup!
We have the standard 1 pool and no double round robin(Whatever that may mean)
I'm not touching the maximum stuff, just bring a team thats fun to play!
And...Minimum value of 100, maximum of 2500
When we play is set to free(So you won't get in trouble with school, work, or sleep or have to choose between those or missing a match)
Not touching prize money either
I guess it's set up then

The league is the Nanotrasen League of Honkery
And the password is ComdomCap

Join at your leisure, and be sure to put a note in here on when you can play

Edit: And I've approved the team I've played against you guys in here to it. It's just a small one at 1200-ish value. Waiting for others to join up
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #30243

XSI wrote:Edit: And I've approved the team I've played against you guys in here to it. It's just a small one at 1200-ish value. Waiting for others to join up
>bringing veteran teams into a new league
>the admin abuse has already begun

Oh well. The Pithi Sneak Rats have arrived! You can all forget about winning now. Prepare for imminent deflation of league when everyone gets decimated by the hordes of skittering rats.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #30251

I guess I will bring a semi-fresh Norse team to the table. Has a few experienced units but due to replacements from injuries only comes out to 1010
XSI

Post by XSI » #30253

Pssh, my lizards have so far only played against you guys. They don't know much. I could have brought 2200 point dwarves if I wanted to bus the league around
(And you'd probably still beat me)

Both entered, and if we need to boost the number from 4 to 6 or hihger then I'll go and do that whenever people applied to it
Just keep applying, I'll push up the number of how many fit in this thing whenever we get to that point

We'll have to consider when to stop asking people to sign up and actually start playing as well.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #30254

Small point differences mean a lot, especially in the beginning.
The team I utterly dominated our first league with I still have, and only comes in at 1460.

Your team rating is artificially deflated right now because you have two MNG players. When you get them back your team will immediately jump another hundred and change.

It's a pretty common rule to have everyone create new teams for the first season of a new league, but I'm not going to argue about it because you're right:

I'm gonna beat all your asses either way.

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #30256

I want to talk trash but that picture physically wont let me. I will settle for snapping all your rat's necks using the literally and figuratively gayest team in the system.

And by that I mean probably lose by a wide point margin while still racking up some kills and injuries that will be significant for you later in the league.

I am pretty sure this is the same team I used against you last time, the block werewolf specifically got the kill on some thrower or runner or something.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #30264

We're cute and cuddly and we score billions of points.

We also squish out tons of blood and gore when we're hit.

Such is the life of a rat.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #30267

An0n3 wrote:We're cute and cuddly and we score billions of points.

We also squish out tons of blood and gore when we're hit.
Both of these are good for ratings.
XSI

Post by XSI » #30271

You are right, actually. Those players would bump me up way more, and that's not really fair.

I'm going to go get myself a team that's closer to the normal 1000 to put in there, maybe something amusing, but I'm not sure what yet
I do know I'll get an SS13 theme to go with it

Edit: And done. You may be subject to flashbacks of both good and bad when viewing the team I just entered
XSI

Post by XSI » #30919

Bit of a bump, league is at 3 players at the moment. I'll probably tell it to start the league-y stuff next Monday if nobody has any problems with that
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #31691

[youtube]K8LLKO0-PAE[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #31792

Tomorrow, at around this time...It's play time!
Four teams registered for this thing, and not a clue how the season stuff is handled

So lets just score a few points and play some games, and see what happens
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #31859

Normally you'll be able to just play games like crazy. There are some settings you can use to limit how many times a person can play against eachother and other stuff.

There is a kind of season you can play where all the games are preset, and while I think it's great everyone around these parts typically hates it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #31908

I haven't got a clue how they work

Just that we can play together and have a nice time doing so, and maybe just have seasons for it and such with prizes and shit

I'm going to just trust that nobody griffs the league or tries to cheat or powergame it
XSI

Post by XSI » #32131

Well, it started, and apparently we have pre-set matches.
If we want some other organisation I'll switch it over next season

The matches of the first day of the cup are:

Pithi Sneak Rats (An0n3) vs The Great Kerfuffle (Dezzmont)
Orchaster United(ColonicAcid) vs Spess Griffins(Me!)
XSI

Post by XSI » #33372

First match played, Orchaster United 0 - Spess Griffins 2

Luckily, nothing important was injured
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #33601

I am ready to stomp some rats any time today.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33678

Oh whoops forgot to keep my eyes on this thread. Send me a message on Steam when you're up for a game
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #34724

Going to just give this thing a bump, it's been a while
XSI

Post by XSI » #35080

Double post, Bloodbowl is on sale

Legendary edition for 5 bux, Chaos for 7,50

Worth picking it up if you were at any point curious
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35088

do it faglords or do i have to gift it to people to make them under the obligation to play?

i'm tired of losing to all these damn veterans i want some new players to kill eachothers players with.
XSI

Post by XSI » #35275

ColonicAcid wrote:do it faglords or do i have to gift it to people to make them under the obligation to play?

i'm tired of losing to all these damn veterans i want some new players to kill eachothers players with.
I'll offer 3 copies of Legendary edition as gifts to whoever wants them. So long as you poke me on IRC or on server or on here(Assuming I notice) before the sale ends
Max 1game/person
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #35318

Well, if someone's offering it FREE I might as well look at it more thoroughly...

I don't know or watch football, nor have I played Warhammer, so...
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #35329

i really wish i saw your post before i bought chaos edition

whats even the difference between the two
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #35330

i mean ill take a copy still if you're offering PM me for my steam account
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35331

Chaos edition is the cool guys version.
nah real talk it's the latest version it has some WE DID IT FOR KHAOOSSS factions i dunno both can play with eachother.