Shuttle Calls shouldn't be because the game happened

Massa100
Byond Username: Massa100

Shuttle Calls shouldn't be because the game happened

Post by Massa100 » #291979

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'll preface this by saying the emergency shuttle is for emergencies. Mass bombings, overrun xeno infestations, a wild syndicate nuke team slaughtering is shuttle call worthy.

"Cult", "Traitors", and "Xenos" should NEVER be considered emergencies. Especially when they're just discovered at round start for what ever reason. We have departments WELL equipped to deal with all manner of threats and problems. Running from them at first sight is stupid and annoying and detracts from SS13. The point of the game is to be confronted with situation changing events and respond in an appropriate manner. Running away and resetting the round is a stupid response to that. Until those problems become so extreme that there's no other way out, that is.

Even from an RP standpoint, this multi-billion dollar station should at least be protected by the security crew, and common staff, if need be, right? With the exception of antags calling, "Holla Holla get Dolla" is not a good shuttle call and I think it should land a head a jobban or send the shuttle back with a heavy timer on it.

I've even seen admins adminbus shuttle delays because security called it at the first sign of a cult antag and they didn't want to see a good round recycled so fast.

In short, I'm reccomending a policy change with regards to shuttle calls here. Shuttles should be for extreme damage to the station, extremely extenuating circumstances (rampant plasma fires, an all powerful cargo traitor, megafauna, I dunno). We shouldn't have shuttle calls because someone saw a xeno, or a cult. All available methods should be put to the test before the shuttle call goes through.

Why even play and get antag and then just leave because the CMO got bored when he didn't roll antag 20 minutes in?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Re: Shuttle Calls shouldn't be because the game happened

Post by Oldman Robustin » #294786

BeeSting12 wrote:It means that the average round is a lot longer that 30 minutes, which, if you listen to everyone else in the thread, would have you believe because they seem to think the shuttle is called at 20 minutes on red alert the minute an antagonist is confirmed. edit: I misunderstood some of the data but my point still stands.
Basically, sorry about the ugly formatting. There's also virtually no "OMG 15m rounds!", only nuke had rounds that went under 30 minutes.

Of course this is a small sample, 150 rounds is still more info than what some forum nerd got from the 2 rounds he's played in the same period of time.

ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #294787

The rounds probably get a lot shorter at peak server pops which is where impressions like OP's come from, is there a way to correlate round length with their respective timestamps/timestamp histogram buckets?
Also:
20 minute minimum
10 minute shuttle ETA
3 minute docking time
2 minute travelling time
1 minute? round-end griefing

36 minutes is your typical "Call shuttle as soon as possible" round-length
Rounds that are shorter than 30 minutes with the shuttle are more-or-less impossible given the hard 20 minute limit.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #294788

Oldman Robustin wrote: Atlanta plz have your stat page do this for all rounds
Lemme get back to you on this. I can work something up.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #294796

Atlanta will be able to do it better, but yea it should be easyish since it records the time of day.

This is too small for it to be worthwhile breaking it down to time of day when 150 rounds across 2 servers is basically 3 days.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #295035

The accuracy on this is dubious (only five IAA rounds?) but here's the duration information I can find, starting on Jan. 1 of this year.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #295044

Beautiful data at long last
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #295048

Is that average mean or median?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #295055

Screemonster wrote:Is that average mean or median?
It's mysql's avg() function, so it should be a straight average.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #295090

Yeah that stat page really puts to bed the idea that the shuttle is being called at 22 minutes on the dot.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #295101

5 IAA rounds sounds about right since its an admin-only mode which basically says "Hey admins HOPE UR READY TO ENFORCE (SUPER VAGUE) RULES AGAINST SOLO ANTAGS (THAT HAVE SYNDICATE UPLINKS)!!!"
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #295222

it's probably more down to "I forgot IA existed" than "I don't want to force next round to IA for whatever reason"
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #295254

WHERE THE FUCKING QUARTILES AND STD DEVIATION REEEEEEEEEEEEE
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #295325

Oranges wrote:WHERE THE FUCKING QUARTILES AND STD DEVIATION REEEEEEEEEEEEE
honestly i have to agree with the orange this is basic data shit tbqh fam
Limey wrote:its too late.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #295379

I'm sure those deets will come but its still leagues better than the first 3 pages of anecdotes pulled from assorted asses.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #295530

Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #296610

Why don't we make cult just a single roundtype? It spawns either clock or blood or both and gets reduced to lower and a higher chance of extended rounds?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #296613

Bombadil wrote:...and a higher chance of extended rounds?
For what purpose

TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #296644

Because extended is actually the best gamemode sometimes, if the idiots here dont ruin the round immediatley for another chance at antag status
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #296649

The extended announcement was a mistake. Everyone sees it as a ticket to grief so they can get another antagonist roll.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #296651

I believe it's not so much the reroll, but rather them thinking they can commit as much crime as they'd like to and not be killed because there's no antagonists and thus tey can't be treated as one*

*Unless I'm HoS or Sec then they get to discover how many door slams you can take without dropping into crit.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #296661

D&B wrote:I believe it's not so much the reroll, but rather them thinking they can commit as much crime as they'd like to and not be killed because there's no antagonists and thus tey can't be treated as one*

*Unless I'm HoS or Sec then they get to discover how many door slams you can take without dropping into crit.
Extended outside of lowpop is a shitter safari
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #296666

cedarbridge wrote:
D&B wrote:I believe it's not so much the reroll, but rather them thinking they can commit as much crime as they'd like to and not be killed because there's no antagonists and thus tey can't be treated as one*

Extended outside of lowpop is a imperfect person playing an imperfect game safari
Yep, and thats when I get my shotgun out to go big game hunting!*

*And by big game I mean assistants and the clown.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #296744

Togopal wrote:
For what purpose
Because extended can result in awesome rounds that go for 1-3 hours as the crew works torwards various goals and shieeeet. People actually learn their jobs and if admins actually do an event that isn't kill everyone it can be rather fun

Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #296772

Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
For what purpose
Because extended can result in awesome rounds that go for 1-3 hours as the crew works torwards various goals and shieeeet. People actually learn their jobs and if admins actually do an event that isn't kill everyone it can be rather fun
Awesome in theory, but in practice where you build up effort for absolutely nothing and everybody knows their job, awful, boring and tedious as fuck. If you want to play this game to learn, please make a private server or endure the opposition like you should as it is a normal (and vital) part of the game

Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #296775

As far as admin events go, I'd love love if admins hosted interesting and creative events every round, and I've seen fun things happen, but admins can only come up with so many unique ideas before its either "recycle what we did", "force a gamemode" or "make the server sit through this tedious tutorial of a round whereas 95% of the server already knows what they're doing". I love showing the ropes to new people, but it's better in secret!

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #296786

Togopal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
For what purpose
Awesome in theory, but in practice where you build up effort for absolutely nothing and everybody knows their job, awful, boring and tedious as fuck. If you want to play this game to learn, please make a private server or endure the opposition like you should as it is a normal (and vital) part of the game
Some of the best rounds i've had are extended-ish where all the traitors perished.

I've been playing since 2013 or 2014 iirc. I've been really enjoying Sybil where my job isnt fucked in 5 minutes because a traitor bombed medbay and no one will repair it

Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #296788

Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
For what purpose
Some of the best rounds i've had are extended-ish where all the traitors perished.

I've been playing since 2013 or 2014 iirc. I've been really enjoying Sybil where my job isnt fucked in 5 minutes because a traitor bombed medbay and no one will repair it
Interesting, can you please clarify what happened during these rounds that made them so enjoyable?

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #296838

Created xeno human hybrids and began a xeno breedibg program in which i killed them via liberal use of staff of storms and xray lasers.

Maxed research completely by myself. Upgraded the rd and myself into xeno hybrids.

Lots of it has to do with completing research and making the station actually not a gaping void split in half by bombs.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #296855

Togopal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Togopal wrote:
For what purpose

Interesting, can you please clarify what happened during these rounds that made them so enjoyable?
i don't think he can
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #298915

Togopal wrote:Interesting, can you please clarify what happened during these rounds that made them so enjoyable?
Not him, but we had a fun one earlier where everyone cooperated and made a maid cafe in the vacant office. It had a quantum pad behind the counter for the staff to warp back to the kitchen for food and drink preparation, a pianist providing music and everything was wood.

Naturally, it was ruined by non-antags when the bartender(who never mixed a drink, only put beer on the counter and walked off) released plasma inside to set it on fire because he was upset the cafe was using the booze that he wasn't, and when the geneticist started smashing everything and exposing the area to space because they're a hulk and there were no admins on

But hey it was a cool bit of roleplaying