Drones: Feedback edition

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Drones: Feedback edition

Post by Steelpoint » #29680

I think it is important for non-policy feedback on Drones be collated here so they can be improved. If you want to discuss any policy related issues about Drones (such as the impact of their laws), please visit this thread: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1468

I like Drones a lot, but I do have some suggestions/feedback to give.
  • Drones need a way to communicate with one another via radio. Even if its just someone else to talk to.
  • I don't want any Drone body to exist on station at round start, while I am not against allowing players to play as a Drone at round start, it would cause a rush to spectate and get to those Drones.
  • The Drones "internal storage" should just be a backpack, inventory management for Drones is even worse than Janitors.
  • I'm concerned that with the research requirements to be able to make Drones, and that Robos will be making Cyborgs and Augmenting themselves, that we will rarely see Drones after a week or so. I suggest either the requirment to make Drones is lowered, or there is a Drone control that allows ghosted players to enter it to become a Drone, and limit the amount of active Drones at any time.
Overall, Drones are cool, and I think any feedback would help refine them.

:EDIT:

Drone Laws are..
1. You may not involve yourself in the matters of another being, even if such matters conflict with Law Two or Law Three, unless the other being is another Drone.
2. You may not harm any being, regardless of intent or circumstance.
3. You must maintain, repair, improve, and power the station to the best of your abilities.
Last edited by Steelpoint on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Drones: Feedback edition

Post by Alex Crimson » #29682

Ill copy/paste what i said in the other topic:
Can we get the ability to create a few sheets of metal/glass too? Could work the same way as Constructs creating Soul Shards. Like 1 sheet of metal/glass every 10 seconds or something. Then we wouldnt need to steal stuff from departments that may need the materials. I dont feel like this would be abused, considering drones have a lawset to stop them interacting with humans.

or, as someone was suggesting on the server, give drones their own little room in maint that they can ventcrawl to. It would have some sort of recycling machines that could make metal/glass/rglass as needed.

Basically i think drones should have some way to get materials that doesnt require stealing from departments or mining it yourself, which would take forever.
Also i think the research requirements are fine. They do not seem that high. If Science knows what they are doing then getting drone unlocked should be easy. Its a good way to stop people ghosting early just to be a drone, i think.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #29686

On Validness I'd like it to be something akin to:
Think of it like Ian, it's a dick move to kill him, but you can.
Steelpoint wrote:
  • Drones need a way to communicate with one another via radio. Even if its just someone else to talk to.
  • I don't want any Drone body to exist on station at round start, while I am not against allowing players to play as a Drone at round start, it would cause a rush to spectate and get to those Drones.
  • The Drones "internal storage" should just be a backpack, inventory management for Drones is even worse than Janitors.
  • I'm concerned that with the research requirements to be able to make Drones, and that Robos will be making Cyborgs and Augmenting themselves, that we will rarely see Drones after a week or so. I suggest either the requirment to make Drones is lowered, or there is a Drone control that allows ghosted players to enter it to become a Drone, and limit the amount of active Drones at any time.
1. Radios, Yeah ok I guess this may be nice
2. No drone bodies exist at roundstart atm.
3. Just pushed a fix to drone internal storage so it works even when it's in its slot, so you can place items in it, etc. I don't like the idea of it being a backpack, they get 1 slot, if they want more, they must juggle a container in my opinion, it's not hard work.
4. The requirement is low, iirc it's the same as Radio MMIs which is pretty damn low.

I have a PR up with a bundle of polishes and fixes.
Now is a good time to mention critical issues/nagging details.

PR currently contains:
- Improvements to Drone internal storage so that attacking it with items responds how ever other storage item does, resulting in you being able to place items in an internally stored container.
- Clicking a drone shell pops an alert up to the player, so they can cancel becoming the drone.
- Drones now have a bad_items list, they cannot pick up items in this list. The list contains guns (not new) and grenades (new)
Last edited by Remie Richards on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
私は完璧
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29688

I think the internal storage is perfectly fine. You can fit a toolbox in there, then fill it up with tools from engineering. You dont really need anything else.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #29691

What you really do is use a Backpack in your internal storage.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29692

Well it's gonna be impossible to play for a week because two thirds of server population is playing drones, not following laws and opening doors for everybody with their all access (who thought that would be a good idea)
Skasi

Post by Skasi » #29694

I like the way drones enhance the longevity of the station. Drones should be able to go through plastic flaps like MULEs do. This ability combined with more plastic flaps around the station means Drones could lose their all-access and solves the problem mentioned by Lo6a4evskiy.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #29700

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Well it's gonna be impossible to play for a week because two thirds of server population is playing drones, not following laws and opening doors for everybody with their all access (who thought that would be a good idea)
There are 0 Drones at roundstart.
If you see drones, then Science has researched them and Robotics decided it was a good idea/there was a need for them.
An admin message is already in place to tell admins to go gentle with spawning millions of drones.
私は完璧
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #29729

To be honest I don't like that drones are made by roboticists. I like the way Paradise handles it in that the drones are created by the station directly (spawned by a machine that requires no maintenance) and I'd prefer to see something like that here, but perhaps drones can only be spawned after 10-20 minutes (stops round-start drones). It just feels silly that these entirely independent little automatons are created by the roboticist when in reality it makes more practical sense to just create engineering borgs with whatever brains you can get your hands on, and it's more fun to make mechs. Especially later in the game.

I think it also makes more sense lore wise that these drones are produced by the station to upkeep the station automatically, implying that the facility at least has the potential to be sustain itself with a limited crew.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #29730

Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #29734

I was remembering things wrong about Paradise. Drones are created in the drone fabricator, which is controlled by the Maintenance Drone Control panel. They work independtly, yada yada, but after you die you have to wait at least 10 minutes before you can spawn as one (or you have to wait 10 minutes after pressing observe).
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29744

An antag AI should be able to do something with drones.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #29748

I think that currently there are a few things which could easily be abuseable and cause drone/crew issues.

One:
R&D literally with the law saying you need to improve it will encourage drones to take over or make their own R&D and thus taking resources away from R&D either a management system with it would have to come in place or a request system to R&D from which the drones can request stuff. (I started hogging R&D to upgrade machines getting the parts)

Two:
Inter drone communication: It needs something.

Three: Materials: Literally once drones start repairing a lot we run out of materials pretty quickly on station.

Four: Tools: After a few iterations of drones coming onto the station and dying a lot of tools will be scattered everywhere in places nobody will remember meaning more and more tools will be made via drones and then forgotten about in that half repaired area.

Five: The inbuilt flashlight should become a UI thing not a verb its easier for people to access.

Six: T-rays should really be something they can activate and use inbuilt aswell because they are meant to repair stuff it will help fixing pipes and wires a lot during repairs.

Seven: Hats nuff said.

Eight: Disposals need to be easier for drones to access.

Nine: Drones need their own emotes not this *drool and *stare and others.

Ten: I mentioned it on the IRC I dont suggest people relay this too much because it is a really big abusable thing.

Eleven: What Reimoo ninja'd about but malf included.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #29755

Drones are currently very vulnerable to getting spaced especially if they are doing EVA repairs. Not so much of an issue on their own but if they are carrying scarce items it can fuck them and the people on-station who needed them over.

Also, do drones have access to the ore redemption machine? That'd let them get more metal (and "improve" the station with gold floors)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29766

Jalleo wrote: Seven: Hats nuff said.
JJRcop just finished up hats :)

私は完璧
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29773

So a drone can wear a hat, then be worn as a hat itself? We going deep guys...
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #29784

Drones should wear drones as hats though.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29793

Cipher3 wrote:Drones should wear drones as hats though.
they can :) (someone else needs to pick and drop the drone first though)
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29804

Good idea picked up from OOC: Built-in recyclers.

Bottles, garbage, soda cans, papers, and shards all over the floor? Vacuum that shit up and convert it into metal/glass bits.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29805

Maybe some sort of internal energy supply that can be turned into metal/glass? and is recharged at a drone station or via recycling stuff as you suggest.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29819

Drones are glorious, last round end we held abandoned engineering against lord singuloth and won. Then a random slime ate half of us.

Minor issues with drones dragging non player mobs but eh they can get bant.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #29843

I'm concerned about drones requiring items....it's making the task of finding welders/other tools substantially harder on high-pop rounds when every drone must raid tool storage to follow their laws.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29845

Drones can ventport to cargo and make new tools.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #29850

I can't remember, do autolathes make toolboxes? Because drones have a total of 3 item slots without resorting to storage containers within storage containers. Afaik

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29873

Most humans discard empty toolboxes, then there is the cardboard in cargo and any container you may find. A gear locker left open? Click your heels it probably has a spare backpack!
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29880

Atticat wrote:I'm concerned about drones requiring items....it's making the task of finding welders/other tools substantially harder on high-pop rounds when every drone must raid tool storage to follow their laws.
Cargo has an autolathe. R&D can make an infinite number of autolathes.

If toolboxes seriously become a shortage, cargo can order them. This concern about running out of station resources just means mining actually has a job after their first trip to R&D/Robotics. People need to stop thinking that only prespawned resources are real resources.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29881

You can open job lockers, the number of spare backpacks is crazy you can easily get one un-noticed.
oprayx73

Post by oprayx73 » #29886

also, whats the point of making monkeys not ventcrawl with items but drones can?
seems quite OP especially if drones can revolt
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #29897

Because monkeys can do whatever they want and changelings can turn into them, but Drones have a rigid set of rules which cannot be altered in any way

If drones revolt they'll get banned, because there is no way that can exist within this system
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #29902

As noted, the only possible way for Drones to be able to go rouge is if a admin allows it, so its never going to happen. The current best way to play as a Drone is to get a backpack, find a spare box (They are all over), use the box as a toolbelt while leaving your backpack open while in your Internal Storage so you can put stuff in and take stuff out of it.

I do support a way to allow Drones to acquire basic materials (Metal and Glass) since right now people are just complaining of Drones stripping bare Engineering, EVA, Tool Storage and anywhere else with metal. They burn through metal quickly.

In addition, I think that Drones in high secure areas (Stay out of the bloody Armoury and Perma) should be allowed to be terminated by Security. Yes perma does have a bar of soap, no your going to release the prisoners. Yes you look cute with the Riot Shield.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29903

Steelpoint wrote:Yes you look cute with the Riot Shield.
Found the clown's backpack in a locker and ran around with that honking a bike horn since I lost all my tools.
Everybody was trying to put me on their head.

Seriously though that bar of soap is golden. Mini-janiborg. Why is soap so rare?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #29909

Saegrimr wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Yes you look cute with the Riot Shield.
Found the clown's backpack in a locker and ran around with that honking a bike horn since I lost all my tools.
Everybody was trying to put me on their head.

Seriously though that bar of soap is golden. Mini-janiborg. Why is soap so rare?
Let cargo order soap 2014
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #29916

"Engineering ran out of metal!"

Fucking good. It's there to be used. You know what else engineering ran out of? Hull breaches and broken windows to fix.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #29919

Raven776 wrote:"Engineering ran out of metal!"

Fucking good. It's there to be used. You know what else engineering ran out of? Hull breaches and broken windows to fix.
That's mainly because Drones are better than Engineers in all respects.
bandit

Post by bandit » #29922

They really aren't. Engineers have far better inventory management and communication.

It's actually kind of hilarious how it took a new job to get people to actually fix shit.

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29929

bandit wrote:It's actually kind of hilarious how it took a new job to get people to actually fix shit.
You mean you DIDN'T roll for antag on engineer to be the yellowtide?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29931

PUBLIC OPINION NEEDED.

Two choices, Pick one.

1. Drones get a custom radio channel, similar to binary, Drone only. They may speak freely on this channel.

or

2. Drones get a "ping" verb, This verb sends a preset message to every drone, saying where the drone is, and an "Alert" level of the drone's choosing, from Low, Medium, High or Critical.
Formatted as: "DRONE PING: [name]: [alert_s] priority alert in [A.name]!"
私は完璧
bandit

Post by bandit » #29937

drone ping just so humans can see pinging drones across the station. "Drone (522) pings."

seriously, though, pings are far more interesting

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29938

I'd rather them get the *ping *buzz *beep.

I can already *aflap while on someone's head at least.

:d drone channel would be nice.. :d isn't use I think.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29942

How would you identify where the drones are though? It sounds fine if they are on the station, but what about if they are building a drone base in space? Or setting up a secret little base on the mining asteroid?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29945

Is empty space, or the asteroid the station?

3. You must maintain, repair, improve, and power the station to the best of your abilities.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29946

Alex Crimson wrote:How would you identify where the drones are though? It sounds fine if they are on the station, but what about if they are building a drone base in space? Or setting up a secret little base on the mining asteroid?
Where the drone is identified by using the name of the area they're in.
This does mean however if the drone is in space all you'll get is "space" but it works everywhere but space.
私は完璧
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29957

Saegrimr wrote:Is empty space, or the asteroid the station?

Some people will play Drone just so they can go build silly stuff in space. Admins have even encouraged the building of autism forts. So long as they are not hurting anyone, i dont see the problem.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29958

Connect your fort to the station in any way, it is now part of the station!
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #29965

Saegrimr wrote:Good idea picked up from OOC: Built-in recyclers.

Bottles, garbage, soda cans, papers, and shards all over the floor? Vacuum that shit up and convert it into metal/glass bits.
Thats some paradise station shit here
Add plastic sheets cause some garbage is made of plastic
and i dont see how you get metal paper just make it like it drops a paperhat
The future is horrible!
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29975

Incomptinence wrote:Connect your fort to the station in any way, it is now part of the station!
Now that's perfectly acceptable.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #30008

I got stuck as a drone when there was no gravity on the station, in cargo next to a crate in the middle of the room. I believe it's also possible to get stuck next to lockers, too. Drones can't throw anything to help themselves out of this situation.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30011

kosmos wrote:I got stuck as a drone when there was no gravity on the station, in cargo next to a crate in the middle of the room. I believe it's also possible to get stuck next to lockers, too. Drones can't throw anything to help themselves out of this situation.
Not being able to throw things is very obnoxious.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #30570

Because drones could potentially get killed by greyshits/engineers for taking tools and materials out of their departments out of sheer spite, and I think it would be nice for them to have a room to hang out in, check on station alerts, and to stock up on tools and materials without getting in anyones way, I would like to see them get some sort of "drone nest" room. This room would have materials and tools to build with, as well as station alert computers. It would be very secluded and pretty much only accessible through vents. Similar to /vg/stations MoMMI nest. Considering their laws force them to stay away from people I think this would really help them out a lot.
/vg/station Head Admin
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30576

mrpain wrote:Because drones could potentially get killed by greyshits/engineers for taking tools and materials out of their departments out of sheer spite, and I think it would be nice for them to have a room to hang out in, check on station alerts, and to stock up on tools and materials without getting in anyones way, I would like to see them get some sort of "drone nest" room. This room would have materials and tools to build with, as well as station alert computers. It would be very secluded and pretty much only accessible through vents. Similar to /vg/stations MoMMI nest. Considering their laws force them to stay away from people I think this would really help them out a lot.
That's usually drone priority #1. They always set about building nests. Because they don't have :d yet, there's some initial confusion about which nest to use.