Life is Feudal

Talk about video games here
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Life is Feudal

Post by XSI » #30034

Not sure how many here saw this thing, but a fair bit ago we talked about it on IRC a lot. Interest slightly died when they announced not to make only the MMO version, and added a small server sandbox thing too.
A shame, since I planned to lead a nice little expedition for anyone who wanted to come so we could make our own place in it.

The sandbox thing is now out, and owning the sandbox version will get you a free ticket to the full main game once its out. (It will be free to play at a tutorial island like WURM, with a ticket to the mainland costing something of 5-10 dollar per character or something)
The private server thing can be found here
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/

So now the question here is
Are there enough people still interested in the small private servers thing (Maximum 64, so probably won't be over that) to make it worth hosting a little server of it?
Or really, enough to even make it worth buying the thing before the MMO version comes out?

We could make ourselves a little village somewhere, and see if stuff is interesting enough to move on to the big MMO server at a later point
Last edited by XSI on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Re: Life is Feudal

Post by Nienhaus » #30036

If I owned it, I'd play it.
Hey.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #30046

I'd play but >30€ for an early access game
nah
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #30054

Kraso wrote:>30€ for an early access game
NOPE
Starbound killed any chance of me dropping money on shit like this.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #30073

Want - probably never gonna get at that price. 40 dollars, man.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

XSI

Post by XSI » #30092

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured

The actual full game - An MMO - is supposed to be like 5 or 10 dollars only(And a free trial island where you can stay unlimited). This stuff is basically paying so you can betatest it for them
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #30118

So when's it gonna come out?
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #30127

Steam Greenlight/Kickstarter/Early Access/Whatever?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #30145

Hnnngh

hHNHNGHNHNNNNNNGH

MMMMMNNNNGGGGHHH OOOOOHHHHHHH THIS GAME

I used to play Wurm Online religiously. Things died down, I went back a few years later as well, but ended up stopping because of financial issues. Now that things are a bit more stable, I want to consider getting this for myself and my fiance. We're able to reliably host servers on my new machine too, if there's enough interest.
XSI

Post by XSI » #30207

Cipher3 wrote:So when's it gonna come out?
Currently we’re in closed alpha stage. This means that we have a lot of different functionality done, but we still have a lot of work to do.
"When it's done"

So basically, might be next year. Might be the year after that. Might be 2020.

Honestly not a clue.
KingLouisXIV wrote:Hnnngh

hHNHNGHNHNNNNNNGH

MMMMMNNNNGGGGHHH OOOOOHHHHHHH THIS GAME

I used to play Wurm Online religiously. Things died down, I went back a few years later as well, but ended up stopping because of financial issues. Now that things are a bit more stable, I want to consider getting this for myself and my fiance. We're able to reliably host servers on my new machine too, if there's enough interest.
Wurm was pretty good, even with the obvious flaws in it. I was part of a village of 15, which then became a village of 10, which then slowly went down to a village of 6. You may have heard of the guy leading it at the time, I'm told he's pretty well known for drama around Wurm communities. He went by Bashur. After a while, it was just 4 people in the village. Then when one of those four left, I wasn't there for much longer afterwards.
I did leatherworking. Decent quality saddles and toolbelts were good, but a pain to make. The grinding just got to me, it was just watching bars slowly fill up...And then I got to watch another bar fill up! LiF seems to avoid that with minigames

For LiF, I plan to try leading the group(Make sure we don't slowly lose members without gaining more, as happened in Wurm, as well as making sure we don't get the massive amounts of drama), and masonry. Masonry looks pretty sweet.
But of course that means waiting for it to come out. I'm willing to buy LiF with the private server thing, but I don't really want to if there's no interest. And there doesn't seem to be much because of the kinda high price

My advice for most of the thread would be to wait for the MMO version to come out, then when it does, it's 5-10 dollar to get off newbie island. Much more managable than 30 for an early access small scale thing
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #30235

Speaking of, one of the Steam reviews said it took him and a group of 7-9 hours and hours to get a small amount of iron... oh the grind...
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

XSI

Post by XSI » #30240

I can only imagine that must be because it's like Wurm, and you'd need to first get tools to mine, then look around for finding an iron vein by prospecting, and then there's probably a whole lot of digging through rock involved to get there.
And then smelting it as well

I just hope they didn't overdo it, and that 9 hours is including setting up a workshop and smelter and all those things, and not just the time from getting iron ore to smelting it. If they have overdone the grind then the only thing the game is in for would be a slow death as everyone leaves

Or it will just attract Wurm players. 9 hours for iron isn't that bad for Wurm standards. Took 2-3 days to find some ore when I played. Loads of (useless) gold ore though
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #30280

i own this shit.

some dude asked "how do i drop a log" and i lost it so idk id say it was well worth the 40$
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #30291

Kraso wrote:I'd play but >30€ for an early access game
nah

Pretty much my thoughts.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #30293

XSI - Did you go by that name on Wurm? Now that I stop and think about it, I'm almost positive I saw that name around the world more than a few times.
XSI

Post by XSI » #30344

I went by Xenus, actually. It's pretty close. You may have at one point had one of my saddles or toolbelts.

So many saddles and toolbelts, for a while it was the main and at times only income my village had. But then I got tired of the grind so I came on less and less, and made less too. Never did any pvp though, mainly because it bored the hell out of me. Competitive progress bar watching is not my thing

When LiF gets to actual MMO stage, I'm going to see if any of the good people from that village want in, they were great
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #30742

Not buying anymore early access games after the shitshow that was Starbound and Spacebase DF-9, although if these devs pump out updates as often as the Prison Architect devs do I'd be willing to take the risk and buy it.
/vg/station Head Admin
KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #30801

After playing it a bit, it seems solid so far but there are some big caveats that skeptics or those frugal with their wallets will want to acknowledge.

The game is an alpha, and you can tell.
Not every skill is implemented yet, and not every feature of every skill is functioning. There are bugs. There are bugs. A lot of people complain about crashes, the server browser has a bug where it lags to hell unless you click on the friends tab for a few seconds, and the terrain of the land has uneven seams here and there. I also got one where I fell in a loop on a tunnel tile.

This is not the MMO version.
Life is Feudal: Your Own is the sandbox version of the game, meant for a smaller scale and testing. The thing that bothers me about this is that they apparently had the MMO world running, and people were playing on it? I can understand why they don't yet have the hardware to support that kind of stress, but it still nags at me a bit. If you buy this game at least, you do get access to the MMO version later when it's ready. But don't be confused in the interim.

You will have a hard time finding a group to play with.
In public servers, any Tom, Dick or Dick Tom can come along and start fucking with you. A private server may have less players on it, and may be subjected to rules you don't necessarily like.

It's hard.
This may be obvious when you look at the reviews, the description of the game and everything advertising it, but I'm still seeing people that don't take that seriously. This is a grind, it's slow even with boosted skill multipliers, and vanilla settings are almost painful. Do not mistake this for something you can play for an hour and put down, you won't get anywhere.

That all being said...

It's good. There's a ton of promise in the game, and there's already been steady development before this official release. Patches are coming out remarkably quick for common issues people are having. This doesn't seem like it'll be a blunderthon like Starbound. These people are investing a lot of energy into their work and it shows.

Still skeptical? My recommendation is to hang on to your wallets and wait until you see proof for yourself of whatever it is that you want. As said before, it's not even in the MMO stage yet and you're not missing out on a whole lot nor are you getting left behind of the pack.

If you are interested, I'm running a dedicated server on my BEEFMACHINE
Add and message me on Steam/forums for the name/ip/password.
XSI

Post by XSI » #30918

KingLouisXIV wrote: This is not the MMO version.
Life is Feudal: Your Own is the sandbox version of the game, meant for a smaller scale and testing. The thing that bothers me about this is that they apparently had the MMO world running, and people were playing on it? I can understand why they don't yet have the hardware to support that kind of stress, but it still nags at me a bit. If you buy this game at least, you do get access to the MMO version later when it's ready. But don't be confused in the interim.
They did. They had the MMO version planned as their only version but then investors came in and went "We're not sure this is profitable. Sandbox server games like minecraft are all the rage! Make it into one of those and sell it! I guess you can keep making the MMO version after that too. "
They really wanted to make the MMO version, but faced with having support and finances pulled if they didn't agree to a sandbox version, they had no other choice but to just delay MMO work to make it work on sandbox/private servers. They already had a functional alpha MMO with players doing stuff in it at the time though. Hopefully they'll get back to the MMO soon
The announcement made a large amount of people just declare it dead, but we'll see where it goes
It's hard.
This may be obvious when you look at the reviews, the description of the game and everything advertising it, but I'm still seeing people that don't take that seriously. This is a grind, it's slow even with boosted skill multipliers, and vanilla settings are almost painful. Do not mistake this for something you can play for an hour and put down, you won't get anywhere.
Is it hard, or just slow? There's a difference. Hard would be if you played a game and you need to learn it to do good at it, and probably need a lot of practice like Battletoads. Slow would be if you have to chop down 300 trees to get level 2 treecutting skill. It's not hard to cut down 300 trees, it just takes ages
Last edited by XSI on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #30926

If it plays like Wurm, I loved Wurm and would probably enjoy this as well. Don't have the cash to drop on something like this though.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #33514

I made a campfire and went to go kill a moose with a sling, then a wolf jumped out and killed me.

10/10 game its just like home.
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #35224

How is this turning out? I really wanna get this after I move.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
XSI

Post by XSI » #35274

So far it appears pretty decent, but the MMO isn't out yet

I'll probably get together whoever wants to come and make a town or something. There's so much interest I'm hearing about this from several communities that it's getting hard to keep track