Little things you learned that are game changing

General SS13 Chat
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Little things you learned that are game changing

Post by Nilons » #291934

Bottom post of the previous page:

Dr_bee wrote:You folks took a shitty MGS5 reference and took it a bit far, wow. And this is the same game where space is cold and you can treat 3rd degree burns with bengay.
mgs4 get it right you fucko
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #292073

You can use space vine to artifically hit the supermatter & generate more energy, using uranium floor tiles in and around the rad collectors too (its a boxed area, its fine) would also help radiation collection which is a missed opportunity to use with the radiation emitting singularity that would have eaten the floor tiles eventually.

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #292076

do rad collectors actually collect rads now?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #296702

A Holy Water Explosion (Holy-water + Potassium) reveals revenants and sets cultists on fire in addition to exploding like a water+potassium reaction
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #296708

It's actually stronger if you go past X units, I think. 100, maybe.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #296773

You need more than 100u to gain the special benefits (cultist burning, reventant revealing), but it's slightly stronger than plain water + potassium even below that.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #296800

Swarmers are not drones
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #296804

Reyn wrote:Swarmers are not drones
Fun fact: Swarmers are swarmers. Drones are drones. Catpeople are Catpeople. Humans are humans. These groups do not overlap.
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #298562

If a team antagonist's brain is transplanted into a body with a mindshield implant, the antagonist will retain its objectives while appearing implanted.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #298647

Rev or gang? Cultists are designed to be able to resist deconversion from implants but can't break through them to convert
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #298659

It works with rev, gang, and cult.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #298661

Thats... Hilarious as fuck, probably would consider that a bug though, tbh.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #298669

lumipharon wrote:Thats... Hilarious as fuck, probably would consider that a bug though, tbh.
I dunno, it seems like it could be cool. High effort high reward, and I think in universe sechuds just auto detect whether or not an implant was put into the body not if it affects the brain. I don't think it was intended but I think it should stay
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #298677

It's not really high effort though, once you kill any rando implanted dude, you just hack his head open, pop in a rev brain and defib.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #298833

FO13 is open source

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #298927

Nuclear Operatives don't work as a team
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #299003

Foam force pistols exist, and you can put riot foam darts in them.
pretty nice since most people don't expect them
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #299065

Mediborgs can inject a person with bicardine, kelotane and antitoxin to make tricord inside someone, if you need to speed up the healing
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #299067

Limski wrote:Foam force pistols exist, and you can put riot foam darts in them.
You can also screw off the cap of regular darts with a screwdriver and put a pen inside to make them do actual damage.

You need a lot of pens as I don't think a dart does more than 5 damage
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #299756

Anonmare wrote:
Limski wrote:Foam force pistols exist, and you can put riot foam darts in them.
You can also screw off the cap of regular darts with a screwdriver and put a pen inside to make them do actual damage.

You need a lot of pens as I don't think a dart does more than 5 damage

THE MAJORITY OF THIS THREAD IS SHIT BUT THIS IS ACTUALLY A COOL UNDOCUMENTED FEATURE. GJ.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #300020

Honestly the best anti-riot tool in this game is the donksoft SMG and a few spare mags, people drop like fucking flies and it's totally non lethal.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #300286

Dwarves are such master craftsdwarves that they can forge a blade from anything, including their own blood
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #300439

If you put an AI in a system integrity restorer and then destroy the console, eventually a fully functional AI core pops out with the AI in it and it retains the amount of health it had in the restorer.

Get stuck in the restorer? Get a borg to smash you out
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #300446

what.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #300456

>Insert AI into integrity restorer
>Smash the restorer with a sufficiently high force weapon like a circular saw
>Once its destroyed, it pops out an Ai core with the Ai in it and retains the health it had in the restorer
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #300518

That is due to a dark secret of AI shitcode.
The AI core is not a structure if the AI is alive, the actual core IS the AI.
This means when the AI goes into an APC, or into an intelicard, the entire AI and it's core (which is just itself) are in there.

It does have useful applications, eg: when I used to play AI I would use a custom icon (I can badmin, ok), and it would persist no matter what happened to me, which was nice.

SS13 has a few of these oddities, one that got fixed (by me) was that all vehicles in the game (which at the time, was the janicart and the secway) were classed as chairs.
The part of the above that is not fixed, is that chairs are stools and stools are beds! (/obj/structure/bed/stool/chair + /obj/structure/bed/stool/chair/vehicle)
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #300537

Remie Richards wrote:That is due to a dark secret of AI shitcode.
The AI core is not a structure if the AI is alive, the actual core IS the AI.
This means when the AI goes into an APC, or into an intelicard, the entire AI and it's core (which is just itself) are in there.

It does have useful applications, eg: when I used to play AI I would use a custom icon (I can badmin, ok), and it would persist no matter what happened to me, which was nice.

SS13 has a few of these oddities, one that got fixed (by me) was that all vehicles in the game (which at the time, was the janicart and the secway) were classed as chairs.
The part of the above that is not fixed, is that chairs are stools and stools are beds! (/obj/structure/bed/stool/chair + /obj/structure/bed/stool/chair/vehicle)
So you're saying I can operate on chairs.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #300538

Apparently chairs are no longer beds.
But alien nests are beds!
As are dog beds (it's in the name really)

But since beds only give 70% chance, and ANY TABLE gives 80%, you're better off with a table.
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #300539

But what if there's a cat on the table?
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #301296

cedarbridge wrote:But what if there's a cat on the table?
You take Skylar's ID.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #302748

Here's a suggestion for would-be canister flooders:- Relabel your canisters to something harmless like air or O2 and chances are, no one will interfere with you.

The relabel option is in the canister interface, top-right corner
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #302944

Anonmare wrote:Here's a suggestion for would-be canister flooders:- Relabel your canisters to something harmless like air or O2 and chances are, no one will interfere with you.

The relabel option is in the canister interface, top-right corner
Some old players don't know this is a thing because you used to be able to relabel canisters only if they were empty.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #303325

Alternatively dont do that because people already steal cans from/beat up atmos techs for having canisters as it is
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #303590

I love leaving superheated plasma in an oxygen canister and leaving it somewhere for someone to top their internals tank off and canisterbomb themselves
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #303681

Gas filters don't have upper limits an you can stuff an extreme amount of pressure into a canister using one.

The holodeck can be set to Kobashy Maru if your weapons need recharging, the chargers behave like real ones
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #303955

Rogue AI tips & tricks:-
  • De-power everything! Bolted and de-powered doors cannot be hacked open, they have to be bashed open. Cutting equipment power can also be beneficial; security can't recharge their weapons or vend more flashes from the sec-vend, R&D can't print things, Genetics can't make hulk, Medbay can't heal people, Cargo can't order anything and so on...
  • Burn the suits! Get an engineering cyborg (if you have one) down to EVA and have them hack the SSUs to get the UV light "glowing a bright orange". When you're ready to go loud, set the SSUs to disingect and watch all of the space suits turn to ash (NOTE: Does not work on hardsuits). If you have no cyborgs or want to lock off hardsuits from the crew, lock them and de-power equipment to render most of the crew unable to get them from the now locked shut SSUs (unlcoked, depowered SSUs can be crowbarred open).
  • Set your AI core's air alarm to internal and target pressure of 0. This might seem strange but if/when people breach your core- if they don't have no-slips/magboots; they're gonna have to contend with space wind. Plus any grenades people toss in will get blown back out.
  • Re-organise your turret layout! Literally everyone knows the default layouts of the AI sat and how to meta the best spots. Your only means of fighting back is to meta the meta and put your turrets in areas where attacks are most common. Simply disable your turrets from the turret control and have a cyborg with a wrench unanchor them and move them into optimal positions.
  • A dead cyborg can be useful in death. If a cyborg of yours is killed, don't leave him lying around, get another cyborg, if you have one, place them in choke-point areas and, when someone comes, detonate them from the console (if it still exists), hacked/emagged borgs detonate with larger explosions and don't leave MMIs behind. If it doesn't make sure to keep the cyborg corpse out of Human hands, otherwise, they'll be able to de-sync it and turn it against you.
  • Glass airlocks. Get a cyborg to put glass airlocks around typical breach points to your chamber. Now lock 'em and shcok 'em. In combination with the turret tactic, you can have your turrets shoot through the airlocks in relative safety and tell those annoying Hulks to fuck off.
  • Destroy genetics. Holy fuck destroy Genetics, Cold resistance, TK, X-ray vision, Hulk... Need I go on?
  • Isolate mining from the station. Science will never develop x-ray rifles or phazon mechs if they never get minerals.
  • Buy the destroy RCD power and make sure the station cannot produce more RCDs. You'll thank me later.
  • Get a cyborg to wire the supermatter/Solars/turbine/all of the above directly into the grid. More power means electrified doors hurt more, capping out at a 2-3 shock crit.
  • Robotics has mechs? More like you have mechs. Get hte mecha virus power, compile and you'll be ready with an escape plan if everything goes tits up.
  • How to flood lethal plasma: Get a cyborg to put a gas mixer on the junction connecting plasma to pure. Replace plasma and O2 inputs with volume pumps. Set mixer to sort gas into 70% oxygen and 30% plasma. Volume pump to distro. Find a place you want to flood. Go to vent setting and set everything to "internal" and disable the external checks, then set the target pressure "0kPa". Now watch a hallway literally disappear.
  • Feel ballsy? Why not delaminate the Supermatter into a singularity or a tesla anomaly? For a singularity, simply set the air alarm to pump a ridiculous amount of gas into the chamber (easiest way is Internal,0 like the plasma flood example). Over-pressurising the SM like this nullifies the stabilising effect of gas mixes and causes the crystal to become unstable - eventually exploding into a singularity. For a tesla anomaly, simply pump as much CO2 as you physically can. If you combine the two methods, it will always produce a tesla anomaly as it has priority.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #303992

Remember that if the map is Meta, you don't want to delaminate the SM into a Tesla because it will beeline for the AI sat and do minimal damage to the station
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #304020

Low pressure makes you a cakewalk against PKA's, don't do that
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #304077

D&B wrote:Low pressure makes you a cakewalk against PKA's, don't do that
The internal pressure is set to zero, not external, what it does it it dumps as much air as it can OUT of the pipes so that it can get as close to zero as possible, and if you made the pipes have enough pressure, you can have some serious space wind blow out of any breach that is made.

It makes the room insanely high pressure, not insanely low pressure. ATMOS MAGIC.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #304084

D&B wrote:Low pressure makes you a cakewalk against PKA's, don't do that
It makes it high pressure, not low. Internal check only means the air alarm is measuring the pipes, not the room. Setting it to Internal, 0kPA means you're telling the air alarm to "vent gas through the vents until the pipes are at 0kPa pressure".
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #304360

I know almost everything about Atmos, but the whole internal/external sensor thing was one of the last things I figured out.
Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor
Github Username: Jarektheraptor

Post by Jarek » #304366

Xenomorphs can be handcuffed. They can usually break out of the cuffs instantly, but if you buckle-cuff them then it takes them a good minute to escape, they'll still be able to break the cuffs instantly once they stop being buckled, though.
[01:57:09]ADMIN: PM: Unicorn_dream/(Miguel Eliza)->Bgobandit/(Spends-the-Fortune): fuck myself
(F) C A P T A I N U N D E R P A N T S (Station Engineer) has arrived at the station at Arrival Shuttle.

tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #304407

The turbine isn't a bad engine, it's just mapped wrong. There's some pretty comprehensive setups and info commented into the turbine's code that tells how you're supposed to set it up. The turbine we have was actually mapped in as a method of illicit bomb creation, so it's pretty bad as a generator.
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #304921

A small feature I keep forgetting we have: You can use your PDA to instantly scan any sheet of paper to your note keeper.
It'll even keep the format if anyone put the effort in to do it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #305003

One Seven One wrote:A small feature I keep forgetting we have: You can use your PDA to instantly scan any sheet of paper to your note keeper.
It'll even keep the format if anyone put the effort in to do it.
I always use this on the CE's paper that lists the code for the comms monitoring console then burn the paper when I'm the CE.

I could just add it to memory and burn the paper, but that's less cool.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #305326

if/when goonchat gets merged, there's a feature that allows you to highlight up to five phrases in a color of your choice. You can use this to highlight whenever someone says your name, or you can make it highlight the traitor secret codewords.
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #307592

tacolizard wrote:you can make it highlight the traitor secret codewords.
This should have been a feature ages ago.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #307893

OhChildflayer wrote:
It was PR'd too, but it was denied for some reason.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #307906

XDTM wrote:
OhChildflayer wrote:
Most likely code quality reasons. Saycode is already a bitch to work with (though I think Remie might have refactored it since the last time I was really paying attention to GitHub.)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #307915

Drynwyn wrote:
XDTM wrote:
OhChildflayer wrote:
Most likely code quality reasons. Saycode is already a bitch to work with (though I think Remie might have refactored it since the last time I was really paying attention to GitHub.)
Lzimann did it, and being a maintainer i think the code was likely okay. He actually started the chat refactor later as well, which was finished by Cyberboss. It would probably be even easier to implement now.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #307999

Door remotes function over cameras. Make use of them as the warden to control perma prisoners from the comfort of your office.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578