Ban requests

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Ban requests

Post by oranges » #309014

Please bring it back, it was a healthy necessity for the community to function, even if the admins ignored it.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Ban requests

Post by Dr_bee » #309028

I actually agree with oranges. Despite the salt it may generate it does provide a public record of people's complaints at least.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #309029

I want it but the people who have to do shit with it don't
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #309051

penguin once campaigned on a promise of bringing it back
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #309055

that was before round IDs were a thing
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #309058

Armhulen wrote:I want it but the people who have to do shit with it don't
This, basically.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #309104

It wasn't ignored but it involved players with biases being asked to recall specific details (a fallible process) and hold onto grudges days even weeks old. It required admins to mentally construct what happened from two opposing views and logs that don't provide context, using their own subjective knowledge to piece what reliable information there was together.

It is doable and i understand atleast one mindset behind wanting ban requests. But the intention behind the ticket system was also in part to provide admins who were willing, a way to answer ''missed ahelps''. There was and is no motivation to answer ahelps that are over a hour old. Extrapolate that to a delay of 48hrs usually and stretched across a week.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #309108

oranges wrote:penguin once campaigned on a promise of bringing it back
"Once", he's the current headmin and this was one of his major promises.

But I think we have already established that headmins (especially player headmins) are a joke
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #309109

imblyings wrote:It wasn't ignored but it involved players with biases being asked to recall specific details (a fallible process) and hold onto grudges days even weeks old. It required admins to mentally construct what happened from two opposing views and logs that don't provide context, using their own subjective knowledge to piece what reliable information there was together.

It is doable and i understand atleast one mindset behind wanting ban requests. But the intention behind the ticket system was also in part to provide admins who were willing, a way to answer ''missed ahelps''. There was and is no motivation to answer ahelps that are over a hour old. Extrapolate that to a delay of 48hrs usually and stretched across a week.
Even 30 minute old ahelps are already a pain actually.

example time of how a 30 minute old ahelp goes:

-what happened with the HoS
-he got killed killed by revs and because of my laws I killed the rev that hurt him
- no before that
- I denied him upload access because he is not the captain or RD
- he says you bolted him in with a hullbreach
- I did?

Ok The HoS forced his way into the upload by shooting a rev into crit and saying he would execute him, I let him in. I turn on turrets to prevent him from shooting the guy, he gets out threatens to execute him on the spot if the turrets get back on. Borg comes in to check wtf is going on, in the meantime somewhere else on the station revs are killing the HoP, the door opened by the borg lets a rev sneak in before I can olt it again. The rev welderbombs the upload. The HoS is hurt and shoots the fuck out of everyone. The borg is flailing around. I get new laws. The borg fixes the breach the front door gets unbolted the HoS leaves.

-after ten more minutes ahelp ends: Ok pay more attention in the future.

OR THAT HAPPENED IN SOME OTHER ORDER. Did I even bolt that door or was it the borg? Was the HoS even near the bolted door? When were my laws changed druing this event? When was I looking at the HoP getting lynched instead of looking at the upload.

How the f am I supposed to remember the details and order of things from a situation like that 30 minutes after it happens.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #309155

If you ahelp after a round it very very rarely gets dealt with in my experiences, even with a round number
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #309178

Nilons wrote:If you ahelp after a round it very very rarely gets dealt with in my experiences, even with a round number
this is why I say

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ahelp during the round the incident happened, and if you don't, scroll up and take fucking pictures of logs with shareX or something

it's extremely difficult to figure out things in previous rounds (easily) unless they're the most blatant and simple issues

it's not ideal and I'm not trying to defend it but if you realistically want your ahelp to be resolved you need to do it during the round or to take down relevant information
Limey wrote:its too late.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #309184

Why not just IRC a headmin of the issue instead of making a public thread of a complaint?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #309185

Ban Requests 2.0: Ban requests with a twist. No more requesting to ban people that you don't like. It will exclusively handle cases where ahelps were handled improperly or missed entirely. If you didn't ahelp it at the time in-game, your ban request will be deleted.
I like this because we sort of do this already with supportbus and stuff and it would alleviate the issue you'll sometimes read about in the "tears of regret" thread where they ahelp and are met with silence.

But I mean, at least now we have shooties and sprays!
Last edited by D&B on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309186

Why don't admins sign up for it, if someone wants to make a ban request have admins who want to deal with them either out of altruism or because they like doing it have a title attached, then you PM them the format, that will stop drama festering with public shamings and if there aren't enough admins to handle it tough titties its the same as it is now.

The fact that if you can get to the reboot without being bwoinked your basically in the clear is a little fucking silly
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #309287

oranges wrote:penguin once campaigned on a promise of bringing it back
Other two headmins voted against it and it lost, a compromise was in the works but it kind of died

I've handled maybe around 10 ban requests via forum PMs/IRC though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
bandit

Post by bandit » #309409

If we make people posting ban requests provide the round ID then I would be fine to log dive for ban requests

admin feedback pls
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309415

bandit wrote:If we make people posting ban requests provide the round ID then I would be fine to log dive for ban requests
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #309501

That reminds me I need to merge attack logs with game logs so you can see both at once.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #309510

If you bring it back I volunteer to be in charge of it
I live for the salt
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #309515

First you'd need to find like 5+ admins who say "Yes, I want to dedicate hours of my free time to "he said/she said"".
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #309517

Real life governments recognize that even with real life crimes and real life victims there is value in moving on after a time (statute of limitations). In a pretend government with pretend crimes and pretend victims in a pretend world that resets every 30 minutes, the statute of limitations for such "crimes" should be proportionately short (within the next round). It's a silly burden not only on our admins but on our players to have to worry about their actions in a round for days or weeks after it ended.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #309518

Aloraydrel wrote:Why not just IRC a headmin of the issue instead of making a public thread of a complaint?
The headmins don't tell you if it's resolved or what action was taken
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #309519

Lazengann wrote:
Aloraydrel wrote:Why not just IRC a headmin of the issue instead of making a public thread of a complaint?
The headmins don't tell you if it's resolved or what action was taken
That sounds like a way easier tweak to make (and maybe a public ban log) than restarting the public ban request circus.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #309553

Atlanta-Ned wrote:That reminds me I need to merge attack logs with game logs so you can see both at once.
aaaand done https://atlantaned.space/newSS13tools/r ... reset=true
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309558

If we can access logs from neds site why has geist been making biweekly whining threads about logs
Last edited by Nilons on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature Memes

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #309561

Nilons wrote:If we can access logs from neds sight why has geist been making biweekly whining threads about logs
Public logs have only been back for a week or so. Work is being done on an easier log interface for admins.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #309567

Admin coverage is still so thin that outside of there & then coverage, nobody can actually catch shitters who commit the same historical crime.

Say if george melons griefs the station with a repetitive destructive behaviour for three rounds but the admin is only on the round in the middle, the words that they punish repetitive behaviour does not mean anything because admin communication must be so poor that they don't collate information about repeated behaviours between themselves. Most adminwork i've seen and partaken in has been totally reactionary responses to 1 round.

How are you meant to realistically investigate metacommunication if you reassure the player, then log off/go afk and be able to pursue in the subsequent rounds? With ban requests we can just deal with this ourselves now, and have the public logs to back it up.

Spoiler:
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #309581

you are delusional if you think ban requests is a good idea
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #309582

It sure is fun though
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309584

danno wrote:you are delusional if you think ban requests is a good idea
good argument and reasoning as for why i agree with the third and second points you made but think the first is lacking citations
Signature Memes

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #309602

Kor wrote:Real life governments recognize that even with real life crimes and real life victims there is value in moving on after a time (statute of limitations). In a pretend government with pretend crimes and pretend victims in a pretend world that resets every 30 minutes, the statute of limitations for such "crimes" should be proportionately short (within the next round). It's a silly burden not only on our admins but on our players to have to worry about their actions in a round for days or weeks after it ended.
While this is true, there are cases of just straight up grief that happen when no admins are online that absolutely shouldn't go unnoticed. Had to handle a thing over PMs the other day where a botanist randomly injected people (including sec officers) with bottles of mutagen, then stole their stuff, for absolutely no reason.
Spoiler:
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309613

Kor wrote:Real life governments recognize that even with real life crimes and real life victims there is value in moving on after a time (statute of limitations). In a pretend government with pretend crimes and pretend victims in a pretend world that resets every 30 minutes, the statute of limitations for such "crimes" should be proportionately short (within the next round). It's a silly burden not only on our admins but on our players to have to worry about their actions in a round for days or weeks after it ended.
There is no statute of limitations on first degree in the US as well as most countries having either no statute of limitations on anything or reserving it for extremely minor crimes (Canada). So if you think that's an accurate parallel then killing someone without escalation should always be punishable.
Signature Memes

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #309615

Maybe ban requests but only for absolutely open and shut cases of "Yes this was just straight up grief" would be nice, this is already basically what PMing a headmin accomplishes but more intuitive
Spoiler:
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309632

I stand by it should be private between an admin and player, or admins and player. Making it a public shitfest/I also dislike this guy fuck him is cancerous
Signature Memes

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #309656

Actually I always found reading all the salt extremely enjoyable.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #309657

CPTANT wrote:Actually I always found reading all the salt extremely enjoyable.
That is what we have policy discussion for
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #309659

Me too
Release the peanuts
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309694

Kor wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Actually I always found reading all the salt extremely enjoyable.
That is what we have policy discussion for
it's just not the same
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #309722

Im a major fan of salt but while it is fucking delicious and plentiful in ban requests it morphs it into something it shouldnt be
Signature Memes

danno

Post by danno » #309726

making admins deal with petty retards for your own amusement is not reasoning that is going to convince any sane person to bring back that stupid shit
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #309744

Put me in coach
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #309756

People don’t AHelp during the rounds because they legitimately believe someone may be an antagonist, because only a brazen douchebag would do their actions as a nonantag. And you don't wanna be a 'that guy' and pester an admin going 'Valid?' on every little death/attack/stuncuff. Round end and cue, "Wait, he seriously wasn't an antagonist?" and now it's extremely hard to resolve because if you AHelp here you delay playing for the serverbase.

And sometimes an incident needs better explaining than some 3-4 line back and forth between an admin who has no context and probably wants it nipped in the bud to go back to whatever they're actually doing because spessmen don't stare at a station for an hour and actually do stuff out of the game. You need to dig your own logs and there's probably well needed context that's better explained when you don't have the pressure of a BWOINK conversation.

They also serve as precedent or serve as good basis for follow up into policy discussion. The forum not only acted as a curb against bad behavior, but as a learning ground for players for what is acceptable, or how situations could have resolved themselves better.

And if you want a meme reason, it added some popcorn value entertainment.
bandit

Post by bandit » #309785

TheWulfe wrote:People don’t AHelp during the rounds because they legitimately believe someone may be an antagonist, because only a brazen douchebag would do their actions as a nonantag. And you don't wanna be a 'that guy' and pester an admin going 'Valid?' on every little death/attack/stuncuff. Round end and cue, "Wait, he seriously wasn't an antagonist?" and now it's extremely hard to resolve because if you AHelp here you delay playing for the serverbase.
admin here, I am 100000000000000 times more annoyed when someone waits to adminhelp someone than if someone asks "X just killed me, is that valid?"

like how many times do multiple admins have to say this for it to sink in

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #309811

bandit wrote:
TheWulfe wrote:People don’t AHelp during the rounds because they legitimately believe someone may be an antagonist, because only a brazen douchebag would do their actions as a nonantag. And you don't wanna be a 'that guy' and pester an admin going 'Valid?' on every little death/attack/stuncuff. Round end and cue, "Wait, he seriously wasn't an antagonist?" and now it's extremely hard to resolve because if you AHelp here you delay playing for the serverbase.
admin here, I am 100000000000000 times more annoyed when someone waits to adminhelp someone than if someone asks "X just killed me, is that valid?"

like how many times do multiple admins have to say this for it to sink in
^

it's so much more annoying to have to check afterwards to see what happened than to get "i ded wtf", check antags, and then be done with it
Limey wrote:its too late.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #309822

People who actually enjoy watching people they don't know argue about whether someone should be banned and expect to be catered to are probably the dumbest people in the community

Feeding off internet drama for entertainment is somewhere between watching twitch streams all day for surrogate friendship and being glued to TMZ to stalk your favorite celebs
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #309827

Shaps-cloud wrote: Feeding off internet drama for entertainment is somewhere between watching twitch streams all day for surrogate friendship
*sweating audibly*
danno

Post by danno » #309842

what the fuck is your problem, shaps?
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #309843

ban requests are redundant if you just get the round id, punch in some details into a message and pm headmins

just do that if you have high salt retention
danno wrote:what the fuck is your problem, shaps?
the cloud is toxic today
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #309877

I remember skimming through the ban appeals/requests forums here way back when I made admin elsewhere, just 'cause I figured it'd be the best place to look for "what if x happens, I bet these guys have dealt with something similar before"

Appeals are handy at times but knowing when (and how) to tell a complainer to suck it up helps too.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #309898

I mean, the ban requests demographic is targeted at people *no offence* too dumb, naive or unsure to even start pulling out logs for fear of being wrong, screemonster is correct that if you can just show a working example from a closed or resolved issue of ban requests, people will tolerate it less and hopefully the least admin populated parts of the day will de-toxify.

Spoiler: