[POLL] New Name Policy

How strict should the naming standard be held to?

5 : Very strict: Bay Rules
2%
1%
1%
4 : Slightly edited Bay rules: What is currently proposed in this post
12%
8%
8%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
13%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
11%
11%
2 : Very relaxed: Basically anything but Nazi names
11%
8%
8%
1 : Anything goes
3%
3%
3%
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 311

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

[POLL] New Name Policy

Post by Skorvold » #30986

Pick a normal name. You must have a first name and a last name (e.g John Smith). You must not use honorifics or nick names (E.g. Dr Greg House or Jack "Johnny" Johnson), and must be spelt fully with capitals and no shortenings (e.g. NOT J Hoffman or jaiden mallow). Exceptions to this are Eats-The-Lemons format of Lizard names, Clown, Mime, Silicon, Wizard and Nuke Op names. References are still allowed, but try to be original.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Poll added at SoS's request. Added POLL subject tag
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Re: New Name Policy

Post by Hibbles » #30989

Basically this is stuff we mostly-enforced already, but it's good to have it down. There's been a noticeable rise lately in retarded names, and we're going to start putting a stop to it.

Do yourself a favor and please don't argue. Please change your name when an admin asks it of you, and if you really feel like it's unfair, come on IRC to talk about it or something later. The literal only thing you'll get for arguing minor points of policy, in the moment, in ahelps, is a daycation when you make it clear warnings are bouncing off.

On the bigger stuff people sometimes don't even bother putting up a big defense but on IC in OOC, and dumb names, and all the small stuff, that's when people feel like having a half-hour fight with you, and pls no.
RIP
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #31010

Hibbles wrote:Basically this is stuff we mostly-enforced already, but it's good to have it down. There's been a noticeable rise lately in retarded names, and we're going to start putting a stop to it.
Hibbles wrote: Lately there's been rising tides of You Don't Enjoy The Game Like I Do Or Like What I Like Therefore You're Bad; see recent pushes for Correct RP Procedures being enforced more heavily. That's not what /tg/ should be about IMO. We have a large, diverse community of people who like different parts of the game, and pretending only one way is valid is absurd.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #31014

I think its kinda sad we can't have "honorifics" or nicknames. There are a lot of people who RP well and play well who have shortened nicknames (like "Luck" springs to mind). I like to occasionally play a lizard called Telephone and I think its sad I can't RP that honorific.

I mean is it really a problem if someone calls themselves Arthur Dent and wears PJ's all the time?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #31018

I don't think we really need this rule.
I mean, the Adolf Hitlers and Stalin's I can see being changed/ forcenamed, but, unless it's something really, extremely stupid (An example of extreme would be something along the lines of 'ShitFace McGee' or 'McGuffin FartWart'.)...
Last edited by Spacemanspark on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:^)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31020

We have Screwup McFucker or something like that running around so yeah.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31021

peoplearestrange wrote:I think its kinda sad we can't have "honorifics" or nicknames. There are a lot of people who RP well and play well who have shortened nicknames (like "Luck" springs to mind). I like to occasionally play a lizard called Telephone and I think its sad I can't RP that honorific.
I mean is it really a problem if someone calls themselves Arthur Dent and wears PJ's all the time?
Luck and Lum spring to mind, but also Nill. What if a one-word nickname is an acceptable substitute for a first name, with the condition that the word must be found in an english dictionary, or otherwise be easily pronouncible.
Last edited by Psyentific on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31032

peoplearestrange wrote:I think its kinda sad we can't have "honorifics" or nicknames. There are a lot of people who RP well and play well who have shortened nicknames (like "Luck" springs to mind). I like to occasionally play a lizard called Telephone and I think its sad I can't RP that honorific.

Considering Arthur Dent is a name, I don't see how that would even be an issue.

Conversely, honorifics are weird in a lot of cases. Using Dr. or Lt. or whatever in place of a first name just plain feels weird to me. Doubly so if they're assigned to a job where that name makes even less sense. That said as well, neither area actually names. They typically used to refer to a person in place of their name, but not used on things like IDs to replace those names.

Nicknames are probably ok to a degree. Personally, I've taken to using character's complete names as a way of projecting a chosen level of formality. Speaking to a peer or need a semi-formal tone "What is it <lastname>?" First names get reserved for less formal or more familiar contact. That's more "muh arr pee" than anything though.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #31043

Spacemanspark wrote: (An example of extreme would be something along the lines of 'ShitFace McGee' or 'McGuffin FartWart'.)...
We have a lot of these, though.

EDIT: I can't imagine Luck being anything but Luck.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #31059

It's worth pointing out that way back in the day I made a thread on the old-old forums with a poll asking if there should be stricter naming regulations. The vast majority of players voted in favor of it with.

This has *always* been server policy, people just seemingly forgot completely about it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31072

Hooray for being the subject of more policy changes.

Anyway i've been asking a lot of people lately to pick something a little closer resembling a name. I don't think first AND last name is much of a problem (eg. Jimothy), but when you get names that are little more than jumbles of words, some sort of codename, or a new rap artist.

People with the worst names get SUPER DEFENSIVE about it for some reason, its amazing.
I'm not asking you to be "Bob Smith", just put some more creativity into something that sounds like a name or a snarky mutation of a name.
This is why I rename these people "Terry Bulname", because its a terrible name, its surprisingly close to an actual name, and it shows that you don't need to be John Johnson #43.

Some recent name changes i've asked about that I remember.
Large Puff, Flip Liquid, "GodHasMercyIHaveNone" also got super defensive about this, something in the line of "Xclkjsdg Jfdklsj Fnelajfoi", Luck "Lizard Killer" just renamed straight to Luck.

Clowns, Mimes, and Lizards have some leeway with names. Fart Shartly is pretty bad, but for a clown that kind of goes into the crude humor bin. Lizards regularly pick stereotypical tribal sounding names that are verb-interaction-noun or just an object they use often for their job.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31081

On an off-topic note, Lizardman, the space-racism (spacism?) they've created, the names they create, and some of the people who play them are easily one of my favorite recent additions. It adds character.

To contribute something to the discussion, though, plausible nicknames ought to be given a general pass, or at least case-by-case. Big Jacko, for example, is good. 'Gearbox' Johnson, Chief Engineer, sure why not. 'Xenofucker' Lesson...no thanks.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31084

Considering one of our long time players is "Old Man Robustin", i'm not entirely against nicknames in moderation as long as theres something that can be used as a formal name with it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31085

Psyentific wrote:On an off-topic note, Lizardman, the space-racism (spacism?) they've created, the names they create, and some of the people who play them are easily one of my favorite recent additions. It adds character.

To contribute something to the discussion, though, plausible nicknames ought to be given a general pass, or at least case-by-case. Big Jacko, for example, is good. 'Gearbox' Johnson, Chief Engineer, sure why not. 'Xenofucker' Lesson...no thanks.
The tricky thing with nicknames is how far they distance themselves from BBS usernames.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31087

cedarbridge wrote:
Psyentific wrote:On an off-topic note, Lizardman, the space-racism (spacism?) they've created, the names they create, and some of the people who play them are easily one of my favorite recent additions. It adds character.

The tricky thing with nicknames is how far they distance themselves from BBS usernames.
Two syllables, almost always an adjective or noun. Quick and easy to read, say, and type, almost always a word that's in common useage or a bastardization of a proper name. Compare 'Sparks' to 'Psyen' for the former, or shorten 'Miku Frost' to 'Meeks' for the latter.
Last edited by Psyentific on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #31088

the death of tg
one dumb policy at a time
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #31092

Nicknames don't seem to be as terribly immersion-destroying as "GodHasMercyIHaveNone" or whatever. I was under the impression that the staff of Space Station 13 all know each other to some degree by name and face at the start of each round, and that's why you get the name of nonmasked people even when they're not wearing their IDs. If you look down the hall and see Jack Johnson, who you know prefers to be called "Johnny," then it makes sense that you'd recognize him as "Johnny," and when you're making casual conversation as him, having "Johnny" somewhere in his display name lets you know that he prefers to be referred to as "Johnny." If anything, having a nickname show up when you mouseover someone is a roleplaying aid, not a hindrance.

It'd require a bit more admin judgment than just saying "you must have two names of which both must be ranked among the top thousand in the US," but the casual conversation test seems like it would accomplish the goal here with less shitting on well-intentioned people. Just ask yourselves how ridiculous it is to imagine people casually addressing each other by the name.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31095

Kel wrote:the death of tg
OH NO I HAVE TO BE VAGUELY SETTING APPROPRIATE THE HORROR
QUICK COMPARE THEM TO BAY AND ALSO HITLER
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #31097

How is this not fun policing
This is seriously telling people that something that entertains them and doesn't affect gameplay in any way is not allowed just for the sake of not being allowed
Start being "setting appropriate" when an actual setting is developed beyond 'space station in the future in space'
Kel

Post by Kel » #31099

Psyentific wrote:
Kel wrote:the death of tg
OH NO I HAVE TO BE VAGUELY SETTING APPROPRIATE THE HORROR
QUICK COMPARE THEM TO BAY AND ALSO HITLER

considering this is policy is identical to bay's naming policy, i think it's a fair comparison
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31106

captain sawrge wrote:Start being "setting appropriate" when an actual setting is developed beyond 'space station in the future in space'
Trigger warning: Autism - Because who even reads the backstory?

In all seriousness, /tg/station is a role-playing server from a role-playing community. If you can't at least pay lip service to that, get the fuck out.
Last edited by Psyentific on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #31107

It is not identical. It is altered slighty. The problem you guys don't see is the fact that you are an employee on a space station with an identification card, a rank and a job. Also some code issues are brought into this. Like all official IDs, it has your first and last name on it. No one walks around with an ID that says "Gearbox" on it. This is an official research station, not a summer camp. You could bring up the thing like having names and the name on your ID separate but that would require some code fiddling because as of now, you are recognized as who you are based on the name on your ID and your voice matching. This is why nicknames do not work. I don't see why people complain over litterly the smallest of policies. Tg is very relaxed in role-play, at least have some decency to have a regular name.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31108

The best part about being the middle ground is when someone complains about the server being too Bay, the next step in namecalling is telling them to go back to Nox.
So now that we've got both sides of the arguement settled...
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #31110

NikNakFlak wrote:It is not identical. It is altered slighty. The problem you guys don't see is the fact that you are an employee on a space station with an identification card, a rank and a job. Also some code issues are brought into this. Like all official IDs, it has your first and last name on it. No one walks around with an ID that says "Gearbox" on it. This is an official research station, not a summer camp. You could bring up the thing like having names and the name on your ID separate but that would require some code fiddling because as of now, you are recognized as who you are based on the name on your ID and your voice matching. This is why nicknames do not work. I don't see why people complain over litterly the smallest of policies. Tg is very relaxed in role-play, at least have some decency to have a regular name.
Making it so that people can't have any non-proper-name identifier is literally an anti-roleplaying policy. It contradicts the way that people usually interact with each other. The point about how an official ID wouldn't have your nickname on it is true, and the point about how it would be a hassle to implement official and unofficial names using the ID system is also true, but if you're going to be breaking immersion either way, it seems smarter to err on the side of greater player freedom.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #31118

Weedgokufourtwenty is a totally in setting name to me. I just imagine shiploads of people with incredibly stupid names. This is about as fun as insisting on christian names for babies.
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #31122

Does this mean I won't be able to join as Big McLargehuge or Dirk Hardpeck without being bwoinked or having my name changed?
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31127

looping wrote:Does this mean I won't be able to join as Big McLargehuge or Dirk Hardpeck without being bwoinked or having my name changed?
The former is silly. The latter is silly, but vaguely plausible.
Kel

Post by Kel » #31128

NikNakFlak wrote:It is not identical. It is altered slighty. The problem you guys don't see is the fact that you are an employee on a space station with an identification card, a rank and a job. Also some code issues are brought into this. Like all official IDs, it has your first and last name on it. No one walks around with an ID that says "Gearbox" on it. This is an official research station, not a summer camp. You could bring up the thing like having names and the name on your ID separate but that would require some code fiddling because as of now, you are recognized as who you are based on the name on your ID and your voice matching. This is why nicknames do not work. I don't see why people complain over litterly the smallest of policies. Tg is very relaxed in role-play, at least have some decency to have a regular name.

this isnt a small policy
this is yet another step into the grave

luck is the lifeblood of tg and not letting him be luck is basically slitting the server's wrists
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #31130

Kel wrote:

this isnt a small policy

luck is the lifeblood of tg and not letting him be luck is basically slitting the server's wrists
:^)
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #31131

Luck is literally the only exception to this being good I can think of though. Some players are just iconic.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #31137

this shit is dumb, please get rid of policy and deadmin saegmrir
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #31138

Someone knocked on the lid of my coffin and directed me to this situation and the preceding thread.

I was a major proponent of policing names a little more and one of the only people I ever saw do it. We should have some guidelines on people's names. It's a role-playing game, you guys are all employees of a (horribly mismanaged) company on a space station. You should have names that mostly fit that.

That being said, I only ever stepped in and changed names or warned people when they were dumb bait bullshit like "Adolf Hitler", hee-hee-look-what-i-put-in-the-name-field shit like "Fucker McRapeFace", or meta bullshit like "Syndicate Agent".

If it's not one of those three there's really no reason to care. If you want to justify it as "bad roleplaying" remember this is a game about a bunch of space idiots in the far future. Your own personal canon for who can and can't be named what might not fit with someone else's. There are real people alive today with names that are absolutely fucking stupid garbage. Now imagine what their kids' kids' kids' kids' kids are going to be named.

http://www.dailydot.com/society/hashtag ... baby-name/
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.med ... .mashable/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/17/paren ... sda-games/

I mean holy fucking shit

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1367217

I hope someone just randomly beats that kid to death in the streets someday and explains to the officers who arrest them how it was valid.

EDIT: SPECIAL BONUS FUCK YOU

You balk at the name Hiro Protagonist? Really? Read a book, dude.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31146

Kel wrote:

this isnt a small policy

muh slopes
muh bay
muh end of all things
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #31156

I chose the name Lum because it was just short short for Lumipharon, and is what some people do actually call me. Also probably doesn't help that the first person I interacted with was Xemo, my fellow botanist.

Also once you establish a character/people know you, it's pretty gay to have to change it, especially since it's been literally no issue before. Lots of people call me lumi, so maybe time for Lumi Pharon? I unno.

While I'm not opposed to 'enforcing rp names' altogether, I find it laughable that we're trying to enforce super serious names only because 'rp', yet so much other completely meta/non rp behaviour is still completely normal, and unlike names ACTUALLY EFFECTS GAMEPLAY. Unless we wont to enforce rp behavior, it only makes sense to moderate retarded names, same as retarded behavior.

IE: Cockmongler prime, is a retarded name, and beaten people for literally no reason is retarded behavior, and neither should be tolerated.

Where as Bob from marketting is a non rp name, just like a janitor breaking into engineering and setting up the engine because noengineers is non rp behavior, however neither detract from the game and there isn't any particular reason currently to bwoink them.

Also a fair few people that rp , don't fit the new standards,which is a shame.
Last edited by lumipharon on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31157

One word names are a sort of anomaly in future settings. Typically, they belong to no-human races or character types.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31172

Indeed. May be your name is actually terrible, you hate it, you hate that your ID is like that. May be you do plastic surgery every round just to get rid of it. And may be, just may be, you get yourself, wow, an actual nickname and you tell people to call you that and if you git gud, you actually earn a nickname that people who remember you by will know.

See, this is a lot more fun than some shitty "nickname" that you came up with.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #31176

>People defending Luck
>Luck has had to be PMed for joining as Luck "Gas the Lizards"

You're not helping the case here.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31177

Yeah i'm the one that killed the "Gas the Lizards" part off his name and left him as just Luck.
Kel

Post by Kel » #31181

Pandarsenic wrote:>People defending Luck
>Luck has had to be PMed for joining as Luck "Gas the Lizards"

You're not helping the case here.
ahhahahhahahha oh fuck my sides
Rafigdoost

Post by Rafigdoost » #31201

Can we ban polish names? How the fuck do you even pronounce half of those?

Also names with too many I's, or any name that has an I and an L together because those can be hard to read sometimes.

You know what just ban custom names altogether fuck the world.

This is mine
I earned this
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #31213

No names at all, name everyone human 134(random numbers obviously). If to repopulate stations people are cloned, lots of people mass cloning. Your character is a factory product.
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #31214

Character names are all randomised from numbers much like cyborgs, names default from job type and a barcode at the back of their neck which can be changed with a stamp by the HoP.
Officer-173, Engineer-013, etc.
Problem solved, no more stupid names.
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Re: [POLL] New Name Policy

Post by Atticat » #31223

Umm, I enjoy playing as Commander Kades, stalwart captain of ss13. I realize it's kinda funky that technically makes me "Captain Commander Kades", but I always found that kind of funny. Would that name be banned under new rules?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #31253

The people defending Luck are his displaced metafriends. Ignore them.

I'm in favor of this rule being enforced; everyone arguing "muh roleplays" is really arguing that they will no longer be able to use their shitty names and pulling a flimsy justification out of their ass. Shit I've seen a lot of actual Nazi names lately that haven't been punished -- it isn't really adding a rule so much as enforcing the one we've always had.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #31344

It's less an issue of "RP" for me... It's just that some of these retarded names annoy and offend me. SO I'm being a selfish assholish elitist cunt... THough I don't see a problem with Nicknames and some mono-names as long as they're not too retarded. I have nothing more useful to say.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #31390

The only area I'm not entirely sure on is mononames and nicknames, if anything will be the grey area it could be that, but I dunno.
RIP
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #31427

Atticat wrote:Umm, I enjoy playing as Commander Kades, stalwart captain of ss13. I realize it's kinda funky that technically makes me "Captain Commander Kades", but I always found that kind of funny. Would that name be banned under new rules?
I wouldn't see any reason to bwoink you I'd just point and laugh at you for putting "Commander" in your name when you're the Janitor or some other random bullshit job.

If the HoS and Captain beat you and throw you out an airlock for impersonating an officer it would seem valid to me.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
rosello

Post by rosello » #31460

While I'm not personally affected by if the name policy is changed or not, if this is meant as a step towards serious roleplaying I don't like it. SS13 is set in the 26th century, so we can't really hold character names to modern naming standards because a lot could have changed in 5 centuries. While people naming their characters after actual Nazis is a bit much, I don't think banning silly names in general is a good idea.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #31509

I propose a compromise. All names must have a first and last name. Nicknames are allowed but only in quotation marks ie George "Griffon" Melons. The idea being that most people should just say the nickname but anyone who wants to be a dick can explicitly say the first name or "Mr./Mrs. Last". Think The Matrix where Agent Smith kept calling Neo "Mr. Anderson" just to piss him off.

I'm thinking the grey area is going to be names like Gunjar of Riverwood and Urist BeardBeard.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31513

MisterPerson wrote:I propose a compromise. All names must have a first and last name. Nicknames are allowed but only in quotation marks ie George "Griffon" Melons. The idea being that most people should just say the nickname but anyone who wants to be a dick can explicitly say the first name or "Mr./Mrs. Last". Think The Matrix where Agent Smith kept calling Neo "Mr. Anderson" just to piss him off.

I'm thinking the grey area is going to be names like Gunjar of Riverwood and Urist BeardBeard.
This.

Luck is hilarious but really the only people who even remember luck played basil/artyom which isn't the lifeblood of /tg/ so don't be delusional even if all the forum shitposters come from those servers. (like me!)

I used to play as 'paprika' but that was retarded and anyone who still plays as singular names is stupid as fuck. I've even seen Iteq switch to actual characters and roleplay, so he obviously enjoys it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.