General SS13 Chat
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: Little things you learned that are game changing

Post by Thunder11 » #307999

Bottom post of the previous page:

Door remotes function over cameras. Make use of them as the warden to control perma prisoners from the comfort of your office.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308874

This is something that used to be common knowledge but people have seemed to forgotten this tidbit.
Bluespace RPEDs work on line of sight - if you can see the machine, you can replace its parts. This works even through cameras. next time you're in R&D, why not print off a security cam console and use it to view an area you want to upgrade? It doesn't require ID access or anything more than acid and glass to print a board.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #308879

R&D can build the machine that sets the announcing radio message on latejoin. You no longer need to be the CE or the AI to meddle with it!
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308884

Yeah I used to do that before the automated message thing was standard on all maps.

I remember the days where the AI was forced to announce someone's arrival
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #308965

I remember once when a malf AI that shunted into an APC gave itself away because of the arrival message

That was a laugh.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #309091

if you harm baton someone during an arrest they might make a thread about it that will spawn more salt than is currently in the dead sea
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #309588

Nilons wrote:if you harm baton someone during an arrest they might make a thread about it that will spawn more salt than is currently in the dead sea
if you stop a murderboner with double esword and adrenals you can ghost to get a good fill of salt as well from deadchat
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #309684

Pressing e in hotkey mode will equip shit for you.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #309699

You can click a cigarette packet to switch between the open and close sprites.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #309721

One Seven One wrote:You can click a cigarette packet to switch between the open and close sprites.
you can drag a cigarette pack to your sprite to open it without having to pull it out of your pocket, same for matches, you can put a lighter in your pack to make it space efficient and it shows up on the sprite based on what cigarettes its in between, meaning if you want 2 cigs with salbu in them or 3 with epineph/atropine you can tell them apart. Alt clicking while it has a lighter in it pulls it out.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #309757

this might be common knowledge but i didnt know you could bucklecuff people to pipes. this seems really useful for cc
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #309759

Deitus wrote:this might be common knowledge but i didnt know you could bucklecuff people to pipes. this seems really useful for cc
Bucklecuff them to a heat exchange pipe and fill it with fire for some real fun.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #309777

You can also bucklecuff people to singularity/tesla generators

There's no kill quite like over-"tying-people-to-an-experimental-blackhole-or-giant-ball-of-lightning-generator-and-firing-at-them-both-with-a-hacked-particle-accelerator-set-to-strength-3"-kill
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #309911

Anonmare wrote:You can also bucklecuff people to singularity/tesla generators

There's no kill quite like over-"tying-people-to-an-experimental-blackhole-or-giant-ball-of-lightning-generator-and-firing-at-them-both-with-a-hacked-particle-accelerator-set-to-strength-3"-kill
if you gotta give someone cancer from radiation exposure, at least also electrocute their spaghettied remains
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #310059

if a firearm can fit in your belt slot, and you can open the ammo box from your backpack, you can reload and use a gun, including a double barreled shotgun, with only one arm. also, you can play guitar and violin with only one arm.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #310103

You can cross the 2 tile gulag lava lake by taking a water bottle from the vendor then spilling it at yourself after you cross the lake.
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #310184

unused epipens count as beakers. This means you can put them into machines like blenders, chem dispensers and more. You can use them with a chem dispenser to fill them with some chemical other than epinepherine. Once they're used, they can no longer be inserted, though.
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #310837

Limski wrote:You can cross the 2 tile gulag lava lake by taking a water bottle from the vendor then spilling it at yourself after you cross the lake.
I tried this and accidentally just wet the tile underneath me and died
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #310842

Harm intent and CLICK YOURSELF.

Not the tile :/

Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310869

Probably a good idea to pinch that medkit from the gulag because you will die from the residual heat if you don't ointment yourself ASAP
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310876

Also, fun fact, you can alt-click a locker to shut it (if you have access of course) even if you're inside of said locker. Security are unlikely to check locked lockers when searching departments for you, plus they're a great place to hide bodies.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311129

You can pump the atmos waste loop full of plasma for ages and then connect it directly to the distro loop to instantly flood the entire station full of plasma.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #311137

Anonmare wrote:Also, fun fact, you can alt-click a locker to shut it (if you have access of course) even if you're inside of said locker. Security are unlikely to check locked lockers when searching departments for you, plus they're a great place to hide bodies.
Swarmers will seriously hurt you if you are inside a locker and kill you within the first or second hit by the power of their matter eater.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #311578

Limski wrote:You can cross the 2 tile gulag lava lake by taking a water bottle from the vendor then spilling it at yourself after you cross the lake.
Note to self, increase lava lake size to four tile minimum.
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #311582

Steelpoint wrote:
Note to self, increase lava lake size to four tile minimum.
Players need to know it's even possible.
Most players who even attempt still die if they don't have the timing of the heals down.
Security should be checking on their prisoners anyway.
Still on a hostile alien world.

It's not any different than escaping the permabrig through space using coffee and heated donk pockets.
Let the option remain there, and the players who want to risk it, get a second chance to get back to the station sans all their shit that security confiscates.
ImageImageImage
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #311583

Escaping perma either requires outside help or pre-preparation.

Having a 'get out of jail for free' spray on offer for free is neither.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311642

Well, I've broken out of perma without help or preperation.

I wrote down and showed to the nearest camera on a piece of paper ordering the AI to enable the station's emergency maintenance access via Law 2 (and putting down that, as the doors to the perma wing are unaffected, it had no reason to refuse). Then, I smashed a window to space in the shower, downed a bunch of coffee and warm donk pockets and headed to the port-fore solar maintenance access, which was unlocked thanks to the emergency maintenance override, and then headed to re-join the central hallway - putting on firefighter clothing to avoid being seen by security. Made my way to dorms, threw on some more, less suspicious clothes, nabbed a braindead assistant's ID and as far as security were concerned: I was dead and gone.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #311644

Which is why I tend to have a policy of implanting prisoners with a lethal injection implant.

Which then fails when every single time I do so, they get someone else to remove it via surgery.

Makes you wonder why security executes people, it's the only guaranteed way to remove someone, even then...
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311651

Steelpoint wrote:Which is why I tend to have a policy of implanting prisoners with a lethal injection implant.

Which then fails when every single time I do so, they get someone else to remove it via surgery.

Makes you wonder why security executes people, it's the only guaranteed way to remove someone, even then...
The fact that sometimes people escape from perma is something you should just accept really.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #311654

CPTANT wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Which is why I tend to have a policy of implanting prisoners with a lethal injection implant.

The fact that sometimes people escape from perma is something you should just accept really.
>steelpoint
>accepting defiance of security
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #311735

Steelpoint wrote:Escaping perma either requires outside help or pre-preparation.

Having a 'get out of jail for free' spray on offer for free is neither.
no it doesn't. It doesn't require ANYONE else to help you.

'How do you do this master tacolizard senpai?', you ask.

Well laddie, it's simple.

1. go into the rec room and grab the cultivator from the hydroponics area.
2. start breaking any glass you see (not windows to space though) and hide the shards in the bathroom.
3. use the cultivator to break every machine you see, and collect the wires
4. once you've broken a decent amount of machines, you'll have enough wires to make cable cuffs.
5. go to where you hid the glass shards and construct a spear.
6. grab the soap from the bathroom for emergency slips.
7. wield the spear and throw it against the door to your cell repeatedly.
8. ?????
9. profit
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #311736

also steelpoint you sound like a really shit sec officer
Limski

Post by Limski » #312074

You can use the experimentor's Irradiate function to create Void Cores, which have power 8 and alien tech 5, pretty useful for R&D.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #312077

You shouldn't really make exploits public.
It's an oversight by sawu that those cores are obtainable from the experimentor.
私は完璧
Limski

Post by Limski » #312078

That's an exploit? the whole point of the experimentors irradiate function is to turn items into other items
The one use for the experimentor that makes it useful is an unintended exploit, may as well remove that thing to be honest
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #312079

I don't disagree with it's removal.
But the thing is the experimentor picks any "/stock_parts" item, the fact that that includes the /infinite and /infinite/abductor power cells is a complete accident.
But sawu obviously didn't know, and it took a while for people to discover they could do this.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312080

If you have a dead Changeling in your hands as a member of Security, and you don't have access to the Crematorium or a Gibber, you can use the Gulag Shuttle as a makeshift gibber. Toss the body under where the shuttle will land and allow the shuttle to land on the corpse, it will gib them.

This is risky since if the Changelings revives before it lands they could escape into space, so you will have to time it right.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #312081

Most maps have an insane asylum with an anaesthetic tank, hooking up a ling to N2O internals is something they can't counter and will keep 'em still long enough for you to gib them with the shuttle.

If you don't have the tank in question, there's usually N2O canisters in security maintenance you can fill your emergency O2 bottle with.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312082

Anonmare wrote:Most maps have an insane asylum with an anaesthetic tank, hooking up a ling to N2O internals is something they can't counter and will keep 'em still long enough for you to gib them with the shuttle.

If you don't have the tank in question, there's usually N2O canisters in security maintenance you can fill your emergency O2 bottle with.
If you can get the N2O tank on them, then you can easily take your time to do whatever you want with the ling.

Generally speaking if the Ling dies in your custody if you happen to be near the Gulag Shuttle, then you should have enough time to send it away and recall it before the Ling has a chance to revive. If that's not the case then rushing to hook up a N2O cannister is a more guaranteed way.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #312083

When extremely drunk, people will vomit out all the spare reagents in their metabolism sort of like a stomach pump.

If you scoop it up with a beaker, the reagents then can be reclaimed, i've actually served drunks as a bartender by following them around their own vomit because they can't keep it down.

Spoiler:
MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #313324

Bubblegum isn't nearly as scary as I once thought.
Solo'd him recently without breaking a sweat. Clawed at me once through a blood pool, but that's about it.
I'd rate them Legion, Ash Drake, Bubblegum, Colossus. Granted, that's only by slim margins.
ImageImageImage
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #313346

Lungs contain 5u of salbutamol when eaten.

Splashing alcohol on someone during surgery will lower the odds of failure, depending on the strength of the alcohol. Pretty useful for ghetto surgery.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #313348

There's an alcohol that's better than sterilizine when it comes to improving surgery chance. I think it's hearty punch.

It's the alcohol with the highest BOOZEPOWER variable
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #313350

That'd be bacchus' blessing, i'm pretty sure, which has 300 boozepwr where normal alcohol goes up to 100. Not sure if it's normally obtainable, though.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #313395

XDTM wrote:That'd be bacchus' blessing, i'm pretty sure, which has 300 boozepwr where normal alcohol goes up to 100. Not sure if it's normally obtainable, though.
It's completely obtainable, and is the drink of choice for the robust.
ImageImageImage
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #313397

MimicFaux wrote:
XDTM wrote:That'd be bacchus' blessing, i'm pretty sure, which has 300 boozepwr where normal alcohol goes up to 100. Not sure if it's normally obtainable, though.
It's completely obtainable, and is the drink of choice for the robust.
It's completely obtainable, and is the drink of choice for *people who want to commit suicide
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #313530

Today I learned that xenobiologists are surprised you can command slimes and that nobody appreciates the value of hand feeding slimes

You kids these days. The xeniob console have spoiled you
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #313531

people don't appreciate slime commands.
even after I added the "ATTACK [PERSON]" command, smh.
私は完璧
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #313532

I love spooking people who walk int my xenobiology by randomly saying "Hello Slimes" and every slime in every pen saying hello back

Really wigs security officers out too
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #313533

Also slimes obeying the follow command are very slow, I wish I knew how to speed them up
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #313560

Anonmare wrote:Today I learned that xenobiologists are surprised you can command slimes and that nobody appreciates the value of hand feeding slimes

You kids these days. The xeniob console have spoiled you
Feeding by console gives loyalty as well. There is literally no reason to feed slimes by hand unless the consoles have been vaporized.

Wait, are you the one responsible for the plague of hand feeding xenobiologists who get nothing done before two hours?
The ones who recycle monkeys manually are bad enough but god i hate people who take the job i want to do and don't know how to do it
a.k.a. Duke Hayka