Aliens or Xenos

How, what and why to code in BYOND.

Should we move away from our current xeno sprites

Yes, we should be concerned about copyright issues (and move to different sprites)
4%
Yes, we should be concerned about copyright issues (and move to different sprites)
4%
4%
No, I do not think that the copyright is a problem
30%
30%
30%

Total votes: 276

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Aliens or Xenos

Post by oranges » #28257

So there is some concern amongst the maintainers that the xenos might be subject of a copyright and or it's unethical for us to reuse imagery from someone

They would like to move to some non copyright sprites.

I have created a poll so that people may discuss the issue Rationally and calmly. (I live in eternal hope I know)

Also possible suggestions for replacements as well.

edit:Could whoever was talking about the plasmavore idea come in and expand on that?
Last edited by oranges on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Aliens or Xenos

Post by NikNakFlak » #28259

A family member of mine was the one who drew the concept for the sprites and the image. I think teh_wolf sprited them but alot of people were not happy with said sprites.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #28260

Kraso is working on plasmavores right now
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #28289

Its a unfounded fear. Of all the things the license holders are going to do, why would they smack down on a free game.

Its not necessarily a very well know game to begin with.

Worst case scenario, we just remove the sprites and replace them if someone really does come down.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #28290

I don't care about actually getting sued or whatever, I care about not blatantly stealing someone else's work.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #28304

If someone is willing to take the time to redo everything then I say let them.
/vg/station Head Admin
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #28310

If someone wants to make really good alternative alien sprites, that's fine.

But the idea that /tg/ station is going to get sued by someone for using alien sprites, and by sprites I mean ones made by someone not something ripped from a alien's games files, is utterly stupid, and is just a flimsy excuse to try and get rid of the alien sprites.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #28488

didn't you forget that time where the free servers of a free open source game where nobody gets a single dollar got ddosed? Because that was us.
I accept donations, click here
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #28535

Plasmavores are terrible, come up with something better (more unique) please. Maybe you want some advice from someone into creature design?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #28682

Apsis wrote:Plasmavores are terrible, come up with something better (more unique) please. Maybe you want some advice from someone into creature design?
You can certainly post any advice you have, you don't need to ask for permission.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #28725

You give this game too much credit if you think anybody cares about the xeno sprites.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #29012

oranges wrote:
Apsis wrote:Plasmavores are terrible, come up with something better (more unique) please. Maybe you want some advice from someone into creature design?
You can certainly post any advice you have, you don't need to ask for permission.
Ok then. If you really want to replace Xenos, but keep the same vibe along with the reference - use a Termite based design. They're already eyeless (the queen does have eyes though, so does the king), and they can still logically (story logic) have the acid spit features. Maybe plasma is what they eat, or maybe they eat metals and they excrete plasma. Something about this gives 'em the ability to live in space. Larvae just require meat to rapidly grow. Castes can be kept the same, and winged members (how they spread, jetpack on an alien basically) can be added if you want new code features. Having a fatter looking queen can also justify her terrible speed. The egg features can be tweaked a bit too; though if you wanted to try a new way it would be a good time atm. I just don't want to see this half-assed if it happens.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #29102

I would doubt that any copyright would even find this game, let alone care enough to do anything about it. At most they would do is send a Cease and Desist warning, ordering us to stop using the image and even then if you ignored it it's thoroughly unlikely they'd push it further.

You all forget this game is pretty damn obscure and that we're all small fry in the copyright world.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #29157

Apsis wrote:
oranges wrote:
Ok then. If you really want to replace Xenos, but keep the same vibe along with the reference - use a Termite based design. They're already eyeless (the queen does have eyes though, so does the king), and they can still logically (story logic) have the acid spit features. Maybe plasma is what they eat, or maybe they eat metals and they excrete plasma. Something about this gives 'em the ability to live in space. Larvae just require meat to rapidly grow. Castes can be kept the same, and winged members (how they spread, jetpack on an alien basically) can be added if you want new code features. Having a fatter looking queen can also justify her terrible speed. The egg features can be tweaked a bit too; though if you wanted to try a new way it would be a good time atm. I just don't want to see this half-assed if it happens.
I'd rather have xenos than bugs. I still see no point in changing this.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #31057

Also a free to play openly sourced game that pays homage to numerous other fictional universes (which have been steadily removed and changed due to stupid fears like this) could arguably use the shitty little sprites we have. Xenomorph isn't a trademarked term, neither is alien. There's also absolutely no indication anywhere that we are trying to imply we are directly related to the franchise owners.

This is the same stupid question we had with the metroids, secborgs looking like RoboCop, etc etc. It removes fun and replaces it with something functionally the same, but lacking any real character or fun. I play SS13 cause I like science fiction, and we have steadily removed all references and homages to science fiction works and this trend sucks because people don't understand law.

EDIT: Also >implying this poll will have any effect and the coders listen to the playerbase ever
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #31060

Come on now, the alien sprites we use aren't shitty.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #31062

I mean, someone looking at our little sprites and thinking there's a serious copyright infringement is a moron. Shitty was the wrong word. I want to keep them.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31102

Man I just want to see xenos prosper and grow as a feature. I've always loved the idea of them and their function, and was so pleasantly surprised to discover they were in this game too. It's why I started spriting: to improve them where I couldn't code. I'd never thought that there would be so much growing controversy over this little aspect of the game I enjoy so much.

I just want to see xenos grow to be more than it is now.

I don't have the fortitude or the heart to kill off that much work only to replace it with something that I don't like working with.

Please leave xenos alone.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31112

WJohnston wrote: Please leave xenos alone.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #31115

Screw what I said before, after a fun as fuck Alien event just a few minutes ago, I agree that we should:
WJohnson wrote:Please leave xenos alone.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31372

FUCK YOU WJOHNSON AND HG AND YOUR STUPID BLACK MOVIE XENO SPRITES THEY LOOKED BETTER WHEN THEY WERE FUCKING PURPLE THE WHOLE POINT WAS THAT THEY FED OFF OF PLASMA SO THEY WOULDN'T BE DIRECT RIPOFFS AND NOW THEY LOOK RETARDED.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31392

Uncalled for.

Xenos are also still blue, they just have black resin which is a thousand times better than purple weeds, which were next to impossible to make new sprites out of.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31396

Why not resprite them in a different purple color than pitch black though god damn it looks ugly
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31399

There is a pink and dark blue color for resin, I was just personally the most fond of black resin (which still has a slight blue/purple tint to it).
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #31435

the new resin looks like mold, change it back to vines
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31486

The current resin is far, far easier to work with. The vast majority of players prefer it. It's way less of an eyesore with the nodes. Xenos can actually blend in to some extent.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31523

"The vast majority of players prefer it" = "I prefer it because I'm the self-imposed god-king of xenos"

Sounding an awful lot like gun hog when it comes to silicons here wj
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31533

I don't want a fight to break out here. I just want to sprite for xenos and help them grow and develop and be more interesting. I'd prefer it if they stayed as xenomorphs though.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31535

I still think that a possible alternative alien game mode, when we don't need a alien hive, is to plop one or two alien 'hunters' on the station and re-enact the first Alien movie.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31536

Steelpoint wrote:I still think that a possible alternative alien game mode, when we don't need a alien hive, is to plop one or two alien 'hunters' on the station and re-enact the first Alien movie.
Those would get destroyed incredibly quickly. The main killing power of aliens is facehuggers, although stun hands with 25 brute hits are good, throwing any sort of fire or lasers in their direction will kill them almost instantly.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31548

I think aliens should be buffed to be stronger (like movie stronger) but the hugger conversion time takes longer so there's a better chance of saving people and there's not 50 trillion xenos in 5 minutes because greyshirts walked into hives. It'd be a lot more fun that way.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31564

paprika wrote:I think aliens should be buffed to be stronger (like movie stronger) but the hugger conversion time takes longer so there's a better chance of saving people and there's not 50 trillion xenos in 5 minutes because greyshirts walked into hives. It'd be a lot more fun that way.
Reduce 2x burn damage to 1.5x? 1.25x? Increase facehugger infection time to 5m?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #31567

I don't think I need to point out why buffing aliens, who already crush the entire station when a half competent queen is around, and worsening the shuttle-gets-here-before-aliens-have-a-hive problem are bad ideas.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31683

That only happens because you can make a ton of them really quick, they multiply way too fast. Facehugging in the movie takes like, several hours iirc.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #31760

im a maintainer and i haven o idea what this controversy is about :V
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #31783

I am also a maintainer. I am also confused over the controversy.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31785

As far as I can recall, this 'controversy' was born out of discussions, of which I'm 100% certain involved Aran, saying that they want to move away from the current alien sprites due to the fear of being sued/take downed by the copyright owners.

Most people called this out as being overly paranoid, but its hard to get some of the maintainers to relent when they've set their roots so to speak.

That controversy has somewhat continued to this day, and I won't be surprised is some people are concerned these new sprites are a attempt to move away from the current Xeno art style, or at least fear a resurgence in the desire to move away.

--

Afaik the only maintainers that I recall being involved in this debate are Aran and Rock, maybe Giacom when he was around but to be fair this was a while ago.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31802

Yeah tbh Literally Who Cares because we have a minecraft direct reference in the game too and i still haven't been forced to give money to microsoft for it yet
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #31878

We do? What's the Minecraft reference?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31879

I'm guessing anything that happens to be made out of diamond and/or is a mining utility is a minecraft reference.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #31911

We can mine. We can craft. Microsoft will have our butts.

And the problem with raising the facehugger time is that any alien worth their salt just drags the murdered mooks to some rapecave/the solars and lets them cook while dead.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31938

Look at the description of the diamond pick. It literally says, "this is just like minecraft!"
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #32120

Anyone who actually thinks aliens should be removed because of the possibility of being sued or because of the morality of having a homage to another science fiction world in our science fiction game is stupid.

If you want aliens removed/replaced because whatever, that's fine. I disagree, but you're not dumb for thinking that. You are stupid if you think one of the two things above though.

Also, vast majority of player base votes/voices their concern to keep xenos and the sprites, coders go "lolno we're stupid, removing anyways!".
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32129

All well and good until you note that its two maintainers that want to remove (or at least supported their removal a while ago) the alien sprites for copy right reasons, and the maintainers have a lot of power over the game.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #32133

Steelpoint wrote:All well and good until you note that its two maintainers that want to remove (or at least supported their removal a while ago) the alien sprites for copy right reasons, and the maintainers have a lot of power over the game.
I know. I'm trying to make it really explicitly clear how wrong the whole copyright concern is.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #33144

Stop shiptoasting in my thread please.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #39492

How about we not ruin things people like?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #39500

RG4 wrote:How about we not ruin things people like?
Oh yes you figured me out, I get off on pissing people off by taking away things they like. That's clearly what this is about and not wider issues like shitty design, poor gameplay, ambiguous legality, or zero creativity or originality put into a fairly major feature.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40040

paprika wrote:"The vast majority of players prefer it" = "I prefer it because I'm the self-imposed god-king of <thing>"
*cough*
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #40072

I like the idea of changing Xenos to something else not because I don't like Xenos or copyright but because I think it's limiting what we can do to them.