name change policy change

imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

name change policy change

Post by imblyings » #323007

Bottom post of the previous page:

I was responsible for the new/current name change policy that allowed for honorifics like dr. or titles like mr, doctor, or mononyms. This was based on there being the occasional historically allowed name like Luck, Officer Friendly etc. which were tolerated by admins since forever and more or less grandfathered into the new rules.

However, I've since seen enough names that I regret making this policy (e.g. toallet) and would like to change the name policy to add a strict first name last name minimum, no honorifics rule to make the game just slightly less immersion killing for players. Existing policy like 'if an admin thinks it doesn't fit would be kept. Reasonable nicknames in the middle of a name would still be allowed, although I never see them. Silly names would still be allowed, as long as they reasonably fit into a wacky space station setting.

current names that wouldn't fit the policy wouldn't attract a ban the first time, just an admin asking you to change it
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Re: name change policy change

Post by Gouty » #323299

OK I started writing for like a scoring system, but realised I was talking out of my ass
Spoiler:
Could we have a scoring system? 5 points or over and the name can be bwoinked by an admin

Something like:

Famous/fictional person +5
Mononymn +5
Honorific +5
Inappropriate +3
Poor taste +3
Overdone meme +2
Funny -2
Clever -2
Original -2

I realise that a lot of this is still open to interpretation, but could we not build on it? Nevermind this is terrible
How about "Character names with the following characteristics may cause an admin to ask you to change it:
  • Famous real or fictional people
  • Mononyms (a single name)
  • Honorifics/Titles (e.g. Mr., Dr., Rev.)
  • Poor taste or inappropriate
  • The same or similar to others on the server
Lizards generally follow the naming convention of "does-the-thing" (e.g. "Mends-the-Pipes", "Walks-the-Halls"), and Plasmapeople take the name of an element or compound (real or fictitious) followed by a Roman numeral (e.g. "Borax XII", "Thiotimoline V")."

Though this does not get rid of the "but what about x".
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #323300

The worst part about the naming thing right now is that SOME admins might allow your name and SOME might not, that doesn't fix it
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #323304

oranges wrote:I think at this point we can assume safely everyone has very little faith in the credibility of the admins niknak, just look at the mess of a rules page we have now
Please dont play this game, everyone always says that regardless of what state the rules are in. They were 10 times longer, ausops rewrote them and everyone said "yea this is amazing and much better" and then slowly barely anything changes but yet we get to the same place of someone babbling on about "the rules page is a mess". Give it a rest
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323305

Armhulen wrote:The worst part about the naming thing right now is that SOME admins might allow your name and SOME might not, that doesn't fix it
This is true for like any server policy ever except maybe for hacking and doxing
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #323308

Grazyn wrote:
Armhulen wrote:The worst part about the naming thing right now is that SOME admins might allow your name and SOME might not, that doesn't fix it
This is true for like any server policy ever except maybe for hacking and doxing
You're never gonna find SOME admins who think its ok to maxcap the station for no reason as an antag and SOME who don't.
NikNakFlak wrote:
oranges wrote:I think at this point we can assume safely everyone has very little faith in the credibility of the admins niknak, just look at the mess of a rules page we have now
Please dont play this game, everyone always says that regardless of what state the rules are in. They were 10 times longer, ausops rewrote them and everyone said "yea this is amazing and much better" and then slowly barely anything changes but yet we get to the same place of someone babbling on about "the rules page is a mess". Give it a rest

"Barely anything changes" except the game, constantly. Features and rebalances are added constantly and you expect the same rules to always work?

Name policy should be that any name that's too outwardly silly or doesn't make any attempts to be in universe are discussed with multiple admins. If it was a situation where a certain number of admins had to agree then it would alleviate the "only one admin on the entire team dislikes my name" situation that stops stricter naming policy.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Post by Gouty » #323309

Whether a name should be permitted or not, and where the boundaries lie will always be subjective, probably more subjective than the other policies at the moment.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #323313

Gouty wrote:
Alipheese wrote:Aieet mahpoo is finally gonna die
That is a pretty good flyperson name tbh. Plus it doesn't sound a million miles away from legit names from South Asia (e.g. "Ajeet Madhu")

I would like to see the changes outlined in the OP.

Where do we stand on the use of famous/fictional characters as names?
flyperson? no. this shithead is a human

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323315

It's also a blatantly racist name because it plays on the "Indians are poo" meme
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323318

my issue with honorifics and nicknames is they explicitly are not part of a name, at least mono names are a name themselves.
again though name policy is so inconsequential that beyond explicitly ooc names (Which are already dealt with, to my knowledge) it seems silly to heavily enforce any sort of explicit guidelines
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323319

I think the issue here is that some admins have an irrational hatred towards mononames. It doesn't matter if it's a joke name or not, they're gonna hate it anyway as long as it's mono, even if it's just James. It's 2555 ffs, last names have come a long way since the middle age and I don't see what's so unacceptable in a mononame.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323396

Grazyn wrote:I think the issue here is that some admins have an irrational hatred towards mononames. It doesn't matter if it's a joke name or not, they're gonna hate it anyway as long as it's mono, even if it's just James. It's 2555 ffs, last names have come a long way since the middle age and I don't see what's so unacceptable in a mononame.
because admins are specifically chosen to hate fun in all forms

I personally hate it because it feels like it's one of the last things standing between /tg/station and just outright being no rp

like, if everyone has firstname lastname then it feels like people might TRY to recognize the fact that they're a character on a wacky space station, and I don't think it's really in the character of a giant megacorp to allow the rank and file to fuck with the system

this is for sure something that bothers me more out of game than in it, however - I don't know why
Limey wrote:its too late.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323397

Qbopper wrote: I personally hate it because it feels like it's one of the last things standing between /tg/station and just outright being no rp
No. Bad.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323404

note that I said "personally"

in the long run I don't have any effect on policy and I don't bwoink single names because that isn't policy (unless they're excessively bad and OOC, obviously)
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323411

Qbopper wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I think the issue here is that some admins have an irrational hatred towards mononames. It doesn't matter if it's a joke name or not, they're gonna hate it anyway as long as it's mono, even if it's just James. It's 2555 ffs, last names have come a long way since the middle age and I don't see what's so unacceptable in a mononame.

I personally hate it because it feels like it's one of the last things standing between /tg/station and just outright being no rp

like, if everyone has firstname lastname then it feels like people might TRY to recognize the fact that they're a character on a wacky space station, and I don't think it's really in the character of a giant megacorp to allow the rank and file to fuck with the system

this is for sure something that bothers me more out of game than in it, however - I don't know why
Hate to self quote here but
Grazyn wrote:Yes because enforcing a stricter naming policy will really bring back the RP tg used to have.
Clinging on to such a minor thing for the sake of RP is like not letting a braindead loved one die because their heart is still beating. But they're not alive. It's just a husk of their former self, and they're not coming back. If you want to cling onto something, think of all the happy memories you have of them. They will always live on in your mind. But now it's time to - let go -
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #323414

As the player of Chongy (who is not a clown), I have a vested interest in protecting mononames.

That having been said, a lot of them are terrible. I understand needing to draw a line in policy about naming conventions.

I care a lot less about mononames, honestly, than I do about things like 'The Best HoS', 'Mr Penis', 'Comrade Bacon,' 'Bucket of Shitcurity', or 'HARM MAN', et al.

But it's hard to consistently and objectively enforce 'no terrible meme names' without providing a reasonably strict template for naming. I might be perfectly fine with you naming yourself 'Sasquatch,' for example, but other admins wouldn't. But most admins will pretty much agree that 'Sasquatch Fucker' is, while entertaining, a bad name.

There are lots of ways to make your name reasonable.

Let's say you want to be Pickle Man. Okay, now you're Pick L. Mann, or Pikkel Mann.

Just use some creativity and adhere to the template and don't be glaringly OOC and there are really a lot of places you can take this.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323416

feem wrote:Just use some creativity and adhere to the template and don't be glaringly OOC and there are really a lot of places you can take this.
this is a far better rule/policy/whatever than explicit guidelines
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323419

I mean, when I think of "appearance ban" I think of actual immersion breaking character appearance, like this, but this is allowed. How's that any different than playing Chinky, the asian assistant with a rice hat and white toothbrush mustache for the bucktooth?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323424

Grazyn wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

Hate to self quote here but
Grazyn wrote:Yes because enforcing a stricter naming policy will really bring back the RP tg used to have.
Clinging on to such a minor thing for the sake of RP is like not letting a braindead loved one die because their heart is still beating. But they're not alive. It's just a husk of their former self, and they're not coming back. If you want to cling onto something, think of all the happy memories you have of them. They will always live on in your mind. But now it's time to - let go -
did you not see my post where I clarified that I don't actually use my admin powers to enforce my personal opinion though

like, I dislike it, but that's about it. regardless if you think the reason I dislike it is a meme or not

RP is a fucking buzzword but I find the shitty name gimmicks are just another way people have stopped even trying to respect the concept of playing as a character and acting like that character

but it's not like i'm desperately trying to turn the place into bay by forcing people to use firstname lastname no fun allowed etc
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323432

No I understand, I was like you, and believe me when I say that you're just hurting yourself by focusing on these things. Just accept that RP on tg is fucking dead and maybe you will find joy again.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #323434

Roleplaying means different things to different people, but at the end of the day it means acceptance of the world you're living in and the rules of that world, and adherence to principles of IC vs. OOC.

In some games, this means a strict delineation between you and the character, up to and including asking yourself questions like 'would my character really do this?' and participating in the game world and world-building. IC vs. OOC in this instance means you cannot know things that your character would not know, and cannot act upon the world in ways that your character would not or could not act. This is 'traditional' roleplaying.

In other games, it means that a world is built around you and you interact with it in a free form fashion, such as the Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion, Skyrim, et al). Ignoring the fact that they're single-player, these are games that present their lore, world, and game systems as 'IC' but do not require strict adherence to your character as an entity independent of yourself.

Games like World of Warcraft also follow this methodology, though there are also RP-enforced (loosely, usually) servers available which cater more to the 'traditional' roleplaying aspects.

The current state of tgstation is largely the latter. You are not limited in your actions except based upon what you are capable of doing in the game world as denoted by systems, server rules, AND very specific IC vs. OOC separations. You can't talk about the real world in-game, you're expected to maintain a semblance of IC communications (you're not reading comms, you're hearing them) and understand that your character is not physically you at the keyboard, and you're expected to put at least a tiny bit of effort into the things you do and represent in the game world, unless you're in a wall-breaking role: wizards, and wizard rounds in general, are given some amount of leeway for memes, and they often violate the dead/living world barrier; clowns are often given some allowances for pushing the boundaries of IC vs. OOC via memes if they're funny about it, and both clowns and mimes can have names that fall outside of the policy being debated in this thread.

Saying things like 'RP is dead on /tg/station' ignores the reality of the situation. While 'traditional' roleplaying may have existed in a more widespread fashion (this is debatable) in the past, the current game has very little distinction between the servers (whereas that distinction used to represent traditional vs. loose rp) and the RP we ask of players is very minimal. You ARE both encouraged and allowed to roleplay more extensively, but we're not going to hold you to anything except those very loose standards.

The reason that those standards exist is less to 'uphold the last vestiges of RP on the servers,' in my opinion. They exist because, as a game of paranoia and intrigue and ridiculousness, being completely OOC about everything violates some of the reasons that a lot of people play the game. It really doesn't make any sense to sit there and be a janitor unless you're _being a janitor_, at least in terms of separating yourself at the keyboard from the icon on the screen. It doesn't make a lot of sense to play a security officer and limit yourself to stun weapons (other than the rules and precedents about same) when lethals are far more effective in terms of 'winning' except that you're playing a role.

This is the trade-off that you, as players, are going to have to accept: if you want game mechanics and game feel to stay 'tgstation' and not 'Halo' or 'Doom' or 'Whatever The Kids Like These Days,' then you have to accept that there is a distinction between you and the character you play: between your handle/ckey and the person you are in-game.

If you throw away these 'last vestiges lol rp is dead,' then a number of game mechanics just go right out the window and may as well be removed. Why have reasons for shuttle calls? Why wait around at all? Why have science? Why have cargo? Why have virology, or the bar, or janitors, or anything other than medbay, command, security, and antags?

I'm not trying to be all slippery slope about things: I'm saying that these 'last vestiges of RP' are super-simple to follow, very minor asks of the playerbase, and exist to maintain the culture and gameplay mechanics of the game itself.

If you have problems with that, go play Factorio or Rimworld. They're pretty great games if you want your autism forts without other players or 'being IC' to worry about.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #323446

NikNakFlak wrote:You're basing that entire fact around admins not having good enough judgement when to make a call.
Basically, the no faith in admins route, but how often do we get an admin complaint from someone changing their name and even if we do, we usually just laugh because their name is usually bad enough to change.
That or sparks ANOTHER thread like this.
No I'm not.
Maybe it's hard to tell because I have to huff paint before I post in policy discussion threads, but that's not what I'm talking about at all.

I have faith in admins being able to make judgement calls on names. What I don't have faith in is our ability to stand by those calls, in our current, previous, and proposed future system.
What I'm trying to say is that when an admin makes a call on a name, if that player chooses to disagree they can refuse to change it.
This results in an appearance ban, which results in an appeal, which results in an argument about why the name is or isn't wrong, a demand to see precedent, admins with differing opinions entering the discussion and putting forth those opinions (which muddles things up even more) and ultimately, a lift on the ban and that person likely using the same name they already were.

I have faith in the admins to do simple stuff like this, but I don't have faith in the system to work with them.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
danno

Post by danno » #323448

I mean really thinking about it, naming policy is always going to be a huge mess that makes people angry no matter what
because you can't meet the requirements for each and every one of these dumb opinions
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #323548

That's why nobody but three people get to make the final class, it's not really that hard. Making a mountain out of a molehill as usual, just literally ignore the whiners and grow a fucking backbone
danno

Post by danno » #323554

I'd love to but that's the problem, you have these dissenting opinions among the admins themselves that results in you being unable to ignore them and results in the decision being overturned
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #323565

NikNakFlak wrote:
That doesn't make them good just becase Ausops rewrote them and a bunch of randoms though it was good
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #323571

You literally can't even quantify who liked it, shut the fuck up
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #323574

There still is rp according to the only correct definition of it, but I wager many are low-key moments noticed or acknowledged by few. I saw some scientists the other day, just chatting about toxins on their channel. Was it rp? I'd say it was, they were playing their characters in a believable way for scientists on a wacky space station. It was also """roleplay""""- a bunch of players cooperating together in a meaningful way beyond just pure combat. Yeah it was trivial, it was just choosing to partake in some radio chatter, but it was still 'rp'' in that sense. Acknowledge, appreciate and hold dear those low-key moments.

As for naming policy, I think I'm going to go with what Feem said with the added request for admins to put any names they don't like in the relevant player's notes. Some already do but for the purposes of consistency at least for an individual player that would be nice.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #323578

Then actual codification is needed.

A button that forces a mob to take on a random name would be handy for admins to have if they dont already have it. Boink them about their name, press the button on then, tell them to knock it off for future rounds.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323586

i'm sorry i turned this into yet another rp policy thread :(
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #323590

Dumb names are bad. We're low RP, but for fuck's sake at least put the bare minimum of effort into naming yourself.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #323593

NikNakFlak wrote:You literally can't even quantify who liked it, shut the fuck up
angry butthurted post
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #323603

I like the hard data to back up claims
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323622

oranges wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
That doesn't make them good just becase Ausops rewrote them and a bunch of randoms though it was good
Ausops is a headmin, he was voted by admins, I assume he rewrote the rules after consulting with other admins and taking into account discussions made in policy, now I understand that headmins are just empty figureheads with little to no power (the tiller is in the steady hands of the usual codermins/maintainers circlejerk) but it would be nice to at least pretend they matter without dismissing them as a "random admin supported by a bunch of randoms".
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #323636

Just because trump is president doesn't make him good at drafting up laws? I can respect ausops rules and not break them and still criticise them as not being very good and being overly prescriptive?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #323640

but trump doesn't even draft laws it's congr-- never mind it's bait

Anyway I think the shitty names problem will get a lot better when summer over and we don't have an ongoing influx of new people likely to name themselves shitty things
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323654

bandit wrote:Anyway I think the shitty names problem will get a lot better when summer over and we don't have an ongoing influx of new people likely to name themselves shitty things
let's hope
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #323657

oranges wrote:Just because trump is president doesn't make him good at drafting up laws? I can respect ausops rules and not break them and still criticise them as not being very good and being overly prescriptive?
Did you participate in the discussion with him and other admins? Because what you wrote makes it seem like ausops rewrote the rules all by himself and other "randoms" just went along with it. I seriously hope this wasn't the case.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #323667

Argonian lizard names with random jokes in them are way more immersion shattering than mononames and lizard names always get left out of these discussions somehow
danno

Post by danno » #323684

^ Yeah seriously
It's such low-energy garbage

Lizards on a whole have been nothing but a detriment
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #323703

Grazyn I'd like to bait you by saying the rule rewrite was influenced by Russian hackers but it was in fact new Zealand hackers.

Anyway thanks for the discussion gamer pals