Anything you miss?

General SS13 Chat
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Anything you miss?

Post by starmute » #323327

I'll start.
I miss old mining .
Shit was relaxing. You could put on some jams, look for some ore and not worry about what is going to shank you. The only relaxing jobs nowdays are bartender, cook and janitor.

I miss AI malfunction

Seemed like a fun mode at the time. All the stuff is in traitor but I miss how it was a race against time.

I miss secbots
Hate to say it but those murderous bastards were fun to fight against

I miss lings having to kill you

Yeah it takes you out of the round, but it seemed funny as hell that the clown was fake ERPING and then sucked out someones organs

I miss not having clock cult in the rotation.

I'm not a fan of the balance in clock-cult but some people love it.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Re: Anything you miss?

Post by captain sawrge » #323343

malf wasn't very good because you only got to play if you secured insulated gloves in time and then the round just became hide and seek for keeps
secborgs encouraged a really bad playstyle
lings are still only good for murderboner

ill concede the last one

i miss supercrayon and burts
i miss metroid magic and it being totally undocumented outside of the code itself and the few players that had done their own notes on it
i miss nitroglycerin explosions being unlogged and exceeding bomb cap
i miss spending rounds just searching for ERPers and ganking them
i miss all my old friends i haven't spoken to in years and years
i miss recognizing every name in the community
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #323388

Powergrabs
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323402

bit of a meme answer but I miss not knowing so much and being surprised by everything - you can unconsciously powergame when you don't know what's going on
captain sawrge wrote:i miss metroid magic and it being totally undocumented outside of the code itself and the few players that had done their own notes on it
I don't remember this, can you explain what you mean by metroid magic
starmute wrote:I miss old mining .
Shit was relaxing. You could put on some jams, look for some ore and not worry about what is going to shank you. The only relaxing jobs nowdays are bartender, cook and janitor.
i have nothing of value to say other than :+1:
Limey wrote:its too late.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323407

before slimes were slimes they were roros and before that they were metroids and you could extract their cores. they were randomly chosen to be one of a few different types that mostly cover the same shit as current slime cores but they all did at least 2-3 things based on what reagent you injected in them

one of them could give you the retrovirus which iirc copied the host's dna onto everyone that caught it. one could spawn food including working roburgers. that one also spawned hostile mobs.
one gave corn oil and since this was before botany had the wacky dna shit it was the easiest way to get it in large enough quantities to make chem grenades that exceeded max cap bombs.

occasionally i would make a ton of nitro grenades as antag and just whip em everywhere and make department sized holes all over the place
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323431

Also miss old mining. Rounds were longer, and you could zone out while contributing to the station. Plus the feeling of isolation in space on the asteroid was perfect - very much part of the SS13 experience for me.

Is malf completely out of the rotation? It went through so many bloody iterations to work, with the satellite and everything, but people never really felt it, I think. I miss that, too.

I'm personally fond of clock cult, though they seem underpowered (almost sabotaged).

I miss it being viable to break windows with people. Now it's all too fast.

I miss seeing basilisks on the regular. They had more character than our current flying skulls.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #323444

old mining was really neat, i miss it too
Spoiler:
NSFW:
i miss shadowlings
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323453

Armhulen wrote:old mining was really neat, i miss it too
Spoiler:
NSFW:
i miss shadowlings
Spoiler:
NSFW:
same
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #323455

AnonymousNow wrote:
Armhulen wrote:old mining was really neat, i miss it too
Spoiler:
NSFW:
i miss shadowlings
Spoiler:
NSFW:
same
Spoiler:
NSFW:
stand tall for titanfall
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323488

captain sawrge wrote:before slimes were slimes they were roros and before that they were metroids and you could extract their cores. they were randomly chosen to be one of a few different types that mostly cover the same shit as current slime cores but they all did at least 2-3 things based on what reagent you injected in them

one of them could give you the retrovirus which iirc copied the host's dna onto everyone that caught it. one could spawn food including working roburgers. that one also spawned hostile mobs.
one gave corn oil and since this was before botany had the wacky dna shit it was the easiest way to get it in large enough quantities to make chem grenades that exceeded max cap bombs.

occasionally i would make a ton of nitro grenades as antag and just whip em everywhere and make department sized holes all over the place
o, thanks

I remembered something about roros but not metroids i guess im not enough of an oldfag
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323545

Kind of only tangentally related, but Jesu J. Grist, I'm glad we never stuck to those snail goliaths. Ugly, horrible things.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #323546

I miss AI malfunction
Still in the game
I miss old mining .
Minecraft is a better comfy relaxing mining game if you want to do a solo thing dont play a multiplayer game
I miss secbots
Hate to say it but those murderous bastards were fun to fight against

I miss lings having to kill you

Yeah it takes you out of the round, but it seemed funny as hell that the clown was fake ERPING and then sucked out someones organs

I miss not having clock cult in the rotation.

I'm not a fan of the balance in clock-cult but some people love it.
Same
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #323551

I miss when Kor didn't post jaded replies to everything
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lexorion
Byond Username: Lexorion
Github Username: Lexorion

Post by Lexorion » #323555

bandit wrote:I miss when Kor didn't post jaded replies to everything
Kor is pure and innocent, he's telling the TRUTH!
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323556

>put effort into trying to solve one of the biggest problems with job depth, i.e. that every job is a boring grind with no depth
>introduce new mob mechanics, sprites, lore, and an entire new z-level
>people constantly whine that you put too much effort in and they had more fun playing a braindead singleplayer idle clicker
>wehhhh y u so jaded
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #323557

shut the fuck up no one wants to see you post
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #323558

I'd like miners more if they weren't the away mission of 2017 with the silly amounts of broken loot they can get
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #323559

Bring back sandwich windows.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323569

To clarify, I do like new mining quite a bit, but it's like the difference between Resident Evil pre-and-post 4. Former is slower and atmosphere contributed a lot; latter is faster and more action orientated.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #323581

All the shots I don't make
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323585

Kor wrote:
I miss old mining .
Minecraft is a better comfy relaxing mining game if you want to do a solo thing dont play a multiplayer game
yes, because lavaland is so much more interactive with other players

if you're going to do the usual kor cynic post you could at least try to make sense

edit: like, to be clear, it's not me taking issue with you disliking old mining or whatever, it's that your rebuttal isn't even logical

there's not much difference between going off station to old mining or to lavaland as far as the rest of the people playing on the station are concerned

edit 2: okay that was hyper aggro and I'm regretting posting it but I'm not going to delete it like a retard
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #323588

Working with other miners against real challenges and getting upgrades from RD that actually matter in a hostile setting and dealing with ghost roles that cam be allies or enemies or anywhere inbetween is far more player interaction than old mining where you clicked on an unresponive and featureless enviroment by yourself

How are you spamming cynic and jaded when I am saying something is fun and good and you guys are the ones whining? How does that make sense?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #323589

I miss secborgs. I also miss lecturing secborgs about their laws as an engieborg.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #323592

Qbopper wrote:
Kor wrote:
I miss old mining .
yes, because lavaland is so much more interactive with other players

if you're going to do the usual kor cynic post you could at least try to make sense

edit: like, to be clear, it's not me taking issue with you disliking old mining or whatever, it's that your rebuttal isn't even logical

there's not much difference between going off station to old mining or to lavaland as far as the rest of the people playing on the station are concerned

edit 2: okay that was hyper aggro and I'm regretting posting it but I'm not going to delete it like a retard

Post your face when some guy who has made 3 grammar fixes in his entire history of playing SS13 and then cries on the forums that the game isn't how he likes it calls someone who has made 650 PRs in the past year and half and 2k+ PRs total cynical for saying the work he has put into the game is fun and appreciated by a majority of players
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #323594

mfw

Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #323595

kor you're usually not so defensive, is your gf on her period or something
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #323596

No I'm drunk
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #323599

Intoxication or not though Qbopper still made an atrocious post without any content or meaning
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #323601

I miss being able to play the game without having to worry about it being clock cult
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #323602

Wyzack wrote:I miss being able to play the game without having to worry about it being clock cult
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #323608

I miss Franz Krake.
His salt was legendary.
ImageImageImage
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #323633

I miss when sawrge understood what the subject of a thread is about. For example, this thread is about "what do you miss", not "why are you wrong to miss this".
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #323635

I miss guncargo
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #323638

I miss when catgirls didn't exist
Honestly I miss xenos feeling rare
Honestly I miss flashes stunning people
I mean I stopped playing because stuff got fucked up and I couldn't test any changes I made so I guess I miss when it worked too.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #323639

I miss old-style ling and the attendant sense of paranoia one felt about one's coworkers disappearing or acting differently or basically everything, and the fact that it forced you to interact with others and not be alone.

I miss malf being its own gamemode, really gamemodes not being talked about rightly in terms of "conversion or non-conversion?"

I miss telescience.

I miss when admins ran larger-scale narrative events (and yes I realize I am part of that problem)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #323642

I miss fusion.

Because fucking up the entire station with 10^9 K superheated gas in the vents was hilarious.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323643

Ricotez wrote:I miss when sawrge understood what the subject of a thread is about. For example, this thread is about "what do you miss", not "why are you wrong to miss this".
I genuinely am curious as to how so many people can apparently miss malf, a game mode which was comprised of a half hour of literally nothing followed by you dying if you touch anything and only five players with space suits and insulated gloves getting to play. Even then they just get to so hide and seek from hell while you desperately try not to die to the unstunnable army of sec borgs chasing you through shocked doors and plasma filled halls.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #323644

Same goes for oldling which, much like malf, was almost universally hated at the time because it was more often than not everyone just getting picked off by an undetectable half hour weaken+mute in lowpop followed by three hours of being a ghost because the rounds never ended or its high lol and there's no where for lings to hide so they all die in ten minutes and the round goes on for three hours because there's no antags and everyone got bored and logged out.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #323647

stungloves
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323652

Kor wrote:Intoxication or not though Qbopper still made an atrocious post without any content or meaning
1. yeah it was a shitty post, did you not see the part where I basically edited it immediately to say "fuck I regret this"? I'm not going to delete it because that's kinda stupid, but I thought it was clear that I knew it was retarded right away

2. let me try and explain what I meant without resorting to using the word cynical (or being a shit), because you seem to have focused entirely on that
if you want to do a solo thing dont play a multiplayer game
this makes me think "what the fuck is this argument even supposed to mean, lavaland is still off the station"
Working with other miners against real challenges and getting upgrades from RD that actually matter in a hostile setting and dealing with ghost roles that cam be allies or enemies or anywhere inbetween is far more player interaction than old mining where you clicked on an unresponive and featureless enviroment by yourself
this is a valid point and you're right, but I'd still argue that the majority of the time a person playing on lavaland is not really interacting with the round at hand - but whatever, that's something we can disagree on if you still don't think that's true, it's not something I'd take personally

I'm not going to play the excuse game for why I made a shitty post where I was a dick, but for unrelated reasons I was unhappy and that influenced what i was writing, and it's no different from saying something irl because you're pissy that you'll regret, so I genuinely apologize

3. I have a personal dislike of lavaland, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize that the majority of the people playing the game enjoy it

4. if we're going to call out retarded posts:
Post your face when some guy who has made 3 grammar fixes in his entire history of playing SS13 and then cries on the forums that the game isn't how he likes it calls someone who has made 650 PRs in the past year and half and 2k+ PRs total cynical for saying the work he has put into the game is fun and appreciated by a majority of players
-playing the "look at his pr count lol" card is retarded even ironically, who said that you need a high pr count to criticize things? obviously what I said warranted calling me out, but this was just as dumb as my original post
-I was getting bitchy over the "go play minecraft if you don't like it" comment, I don't really have a strong opinion on lavaland because I just don't interact with the stuff I don't enjoy - and saying "look he's crying about the game lol" in a thread called "Anything you miss?" is also stupid
-I called you cynical because I see a lot of your posts on the forums appear that way, and that's the initial impression you make, and that's something I think a few people would agree with - you have a habit of coming off like that, even if it's not intended to be that way

if the post is supposed to be ironic, that's also dumb

like, c'mon, I get that I was being a shitheel, but I've gotta stand up for myself here, that post was also retarded

anyways this shit has gone on long enough and I doubt kor will even end up reading my apology, so back on topic:

stuff that isn't a reply to kor is down here
Armhulen wrote:
Wyzack wrote:I miss being able to play the game without having to worry about it being clock cult
arm can back me up on this one, shit, most of the rounds where I decide to sit down and play I get immediately converted or killed by a clock cult, it's a fucking curse
CosmicScientist wrote:Slapcrafting because I learned the recipes off by heart, damn it. And wirecutter stunprods for the pinch attack text.

The grab icon to reassure me I'm holding onto someone, in which hand and if I'm choking them or not. Grabbing two spacemen at once.
I still try to slapcraft before remembering the menu and yeah it's hard for me to tell if byond ate my click or if I grabbed people sometimes
captain sawrge wrote:Same goes for oldling which, much like malf, was almost universally hated at the time because it was more often than not everyone just getting picked off by an undetectable half hour weaken+mute in lowpop followed by three hours of being a ghost because the rounds never ended or its high lol and there's no where for lings to hide so they all die in ten minutes and the round goes on for three hours because there's no antags and everyone got bored and logged out.
yeah I loved the concept of oldlings but they were universally hated on a level that might even surpass the current hate for clock cult
Sometinyprick wrote:stungloves
lol
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #323659

To unintelgiant too understand qbopper posts
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323661

i miss when aloraydrel had not yet gone completely insane
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #323663

Qbopper wrote:i miss when aloraydrel had not yet gone completely insane
this but apparently everyone lately.
私は完璧
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #323664

This thread belongs in the salt mine because the amount of sodium you guys managed to catch in your vaginas over people liking things you dont could kill a man. Someone should splice some oyster DNA into you so you start producing pearls when you get an irritant in your flesh folds instead of bitchy posts
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #323665

Super Aggro Crag wrote:This thread belongs in the salt mine because the amount of sodium you guys managed to catch in your vaginas over people liking things you dont could kill a man. Someone should splice some oyster DNA into you so you start producing pearls when you get an irritant in your flesh folds instead of bitchy posts
I think that would violate the laws of thermodynamics because we all know perpetual motion is a meme, but if you did that we could sell the pearls and fund the server to create more pearls etc

never mind you;d flood the market with pearls and their value would drop it's all ok
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #323666

Qbopper wrote:i miss when aloraydrel had not yet gone completely insane
I'm not insane!

Sorry sweetie
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323671

What the fuck happened to this thread in my absence?

Whatever. I miss malf and hated oldling. Oldmalf had its charms for the crew at large as it encouraged player cooperation to work through a hostile environment, and I love that shit.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #323672

But newmalf can also trigger a countdown/bomb that forces everyone to work together to combat it
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #323673

I miss when the only people allowed within one tile of you were your closest friends because of stungloves, parapens and parasting
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #323676

I miss the black box.

Filling it with OP shit was the funniest thing me and others did as a pet project.

I miss old adamantine golems

They had some actual drawbacks instead of lmao ash immunity lmao passisve minibomb

I miss not having Ambrosia Gaia

You actually had to stay on top of your plants and it made it so much better when you harvested a bunch of stuff.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.