Tackling the security problem: policy edition

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Tackling the security problem: policy edition

Post by bandit » #26287

Bottom post of the previous page:

From the post that is currently in the Feedback subforum:
MisterPerson wrote:Most of these suggestions are policy problems, especially sec/assistant maint (config option), admin enforcement, and general sec policy. Please only post code-related ideas (sec getting basic department access for example).
Policy problems go here.
Last edited by bandit on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Tackling the security problem: policy edition

Post by Psyentific » #32020

I dunno - I throw up the barriers in Secmaint, Secpod and Courtroom every round. Pull the N2O canisters away from the gulag shuttle and slap 'em in Armory or Perma. The flashers come out on red alert or confirmed revs. Maybe, maybe I'll put one behind the perma doors. That's it. I've never needed any more for brig security. Close the shutters sometimes, maybe. No table bullshit, no emitters, no walls, grilles or engineering work. Not even stealthbolts.

The fact of the matter is that the brig is 'Secure enough', especially if you're the Warden, whose entire job is dedicated to guarding this specific area, who maintains visibility of that area from his office or the front desk, and who can reliably be assumed to be "Not currently doing his job" if he's outside of the brig. I'm not saying there aren't holes, but rather that the barriers are enough to close those holes and you don't really need to get crazy with it.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #32081

callanrockslol wrote:Anon, you know exactly why we hold sec to a higher standard, sec used to be jackbooted thugs that usually ended up brutally rebelled against and exterminated, either that or completely untouchable because they could do no wrong the admins said so
If it's between the sec force we had then and the sec force we had now, I'd still rather take the jackbooted thugs over HEY IT'S FUCKING NOBODY.

The number of times someone complained that sec was shit vs. the number of times sec was actually being shit was in the order of at least 10:1. If not 100:1. Like most of it was

"SEC ARRESTIN ME I DIN DO NUFFIN"
okay it looks like they caught you in secure tech storage looting the place
"I DIN TAKE SHIT"
i'm looking in your backpack right now
"FUK U THIS SERVER SUCKS"

My years of observing and adminning on the prowl for these horrible shitcurity people has made me really, REALLY biased for security because frankly I think most people are completely full of shit and hate security because they actually make consequences for them running around acting like jerks. Certainly there are some people who put on the red to be assholes, but even CDB followed the guidelines. Don't break the law and nothing will happen to you. If you have to run around smashing in everywhere, stealing everything, and randomly punching people to have fun then yes security is going to be on your ass all the time and you're going to learn to hate them. But also fuck you.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #32153

Don't forget that every officer can use different methods of dealing with people. If someone is going to act like an asshole off the bat then you're gonna have a bad day with me. Polite crewmembers who don't waste both of our time can get off the hook very easily. Plus who knows, maybe I'll get something else out of it too. I've got some pet peeves like random vandalism, and dragging blood everywhere. Pepper spraying people is also a nice alternative to cuffing the small fries. Shows 'em you're not gonna go easy, and you're not afraid of uncuffed cockheads. I signed up to kill people too.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32155

Apsis wrote:Don't forget that every officer can use different methods of dealing with people. If someone is going to act like an asshole off the bat then you're gonna have a bad day with me. Polite crewmembers who don't waste both of our time can get off the hook very easily. Plus who knows, maybe I'll get something else out of it too. I've got some pet peeves like random vandalism, and dragging blood everywhere. Pepper spraying people is also a nice alternative to cuffing the small fries. Shows 'em you're not gonna go easy, and you're not afraid of uncuffed cockheads. I signed up to kill people too.
That's what confuses me the most about non-antags saxing when an officer arrests/attempts to arrest is how they think this improves their situation. "oh boy maybe if I get away from the officer he's just going to stop trying to arrest me!"
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #32201

Psyentific wrote:I dunno - I throw up the barriers in Secmaint, Secpod and Courtroom every round. Pull the N2O canisters away from the gulag shuttle and slap 'em in Armory or Perma. The flashers come out on red alert or confirmed revs. Maybe, maybe I'll put one behind the perma doors. That's it. I've never needed any more for brig security. Close the shutters sometimes, maybe. No table bullshit, no emitters, no walls, grilles or engineering work. Not even stealthbolts.

The fact of the matter is that the brig is 'Secure enough', especially if you're the Warden, whose entire job is dedicated to guarding this specific area, who maintains visibility of that area from his office or the front desk, and who can reliably be assumed to be "Not currently doing his job" if he's outside of the brig. I'm not saying there aren't holes, but rather that the barriers are enough to close those holes and you don't really need to get crazy with it.
But I honestly don't see a reason why you can't armor up the brig even more. If you're willing to go the distance to make the brig an enclave, an impenetrable fortress that still does its JOB (HoS and Wardens that put up tables and barriers to fuck with traffic flow needlessly, go die), then why should you be stopped?

Why should the only effort an antag needs to put in to loot the armory just being able to emag 3 doors and kill/evade the warden? Every other job can regularly take massive measures to make themselves more secure against threats even before an antag is sighted. Why shouldn't a warden be allowed to set up emitters/barriers/tables? I've always wanted to place one right in that crevice where there are windows looking out over space just to shoot anyone trying to explode into the armory from the outside. It would be funny, impractical, and BWOINKable.

There are ways that security can be shit, but securing the brig in fantastic and silly ways is the least harmful way to anyone but antags.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #32213

I think that the existence of fortifications that are only allowed to be used after shit has already gone down is a bad idea. Even if the consensus among the admins is that the brig's current fortification options are overpowered for roundstart usage, the warden should be given a set of fortification tools that are okay for roundstart usage. Setting up the brig could be like setting up atmosia or cryo as one of those projects that combines creativity and technical knowhow, and would also give the warden something interesting to think about in between arrests.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #32294

If nothing else, sealing the maint doors with barracades is annoying as fuck for SO's and the detective, who can have actual reason to use those doors, but can't move the barricade.

The obvious answer is make more turrets. Turrets everywhere.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #32349

Removing the entire armory and hiding it in a locker somewhere else is bad.

But priming the brig at the start of the round by using the barricades to seal off doors and sections that people commonly break into, setting up portable flashers, etc. is just doing a good job.

I mean when IS the appropriate time to use the barricades and shit then? After people have already tunneled through the walls and killed everyone? It's the brig, it should be a fortress. It should be the hardest place to get into and run around in on the station, because it's ostensibly where we deposit the most sensitive stuff. Confiscated traitor weapons, murderers, and other assorted biggest threats should funnel their way into the brig over the course of a round.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #32368

Barriers were good for patching holes in the cell windows but we have blast doors for those now.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32392

They're still good to put in front of the walls being deconstructed from space.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #32501

You can use them for checkpoints, but I've done this like once, ever. It was pretty funny Searching every person that came through, because it was red alert and everyone had been publicly ordered to stay out of the corridors because cult.