Station Map

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Station Map

Post by onleavedontatme » #326571

I realized at some point I'd probably have to do this myself and have been kicking around ideas for it/trying to figure out how to best tackle actually going about a multi z map. Finally started actually mapping today, and started with the bridge (which is obviously set underground).

The bridge will probably be underneath the gateway/shuttle landing platform, which will be the only part of the jungle Z that doesn't break to chasm so you can't just fall into it.

Tried to make the bridge have plenty of cover/be a fun place to have gunfights in but I'm also worried I may have gone overboard, so feedback is welcome.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Station Map

Post by kevinz000 » #326759

Please GitHub this so people can propose changes
Er if you want that lol.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #326761

This actually looks pretty nice for firefights. I'd like to request the airlock-style sorta entryways that most other station's bridges have so I don't have to baton down a greyshit every time I enter.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #326861

The downside of an isolated bridge is that there's less reason to be in there. Less activity in the bridge means less firefights. It's a problem my map has too.

Speaking of isolation, be cognizant that dead-end rooms see less traffic than through-rooms, so it's likely that the office on the left will go completely unused. It might be interesting to connect that room to maint, as that would create a sneaky entrance into the bridge.

I don't want to focus too much on appearance, but you could really do with making everything larger and more grand.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #326868

pubby wrote:The downside of an isolated bridge is that there's less reason to be in there. Less activity in the bridge means less firefights. It's a problem my map has too.

Speaking of isolation, be cognizant that dead-end rooms see less traffic than through-rooms, so it's likely that the office on the left will go completely unused. It might be interesting to connect that room to maint, as that would create a sneaky entrance into the bridge.

I don't want to focus too much on appearance, but you could really do with making everything larger and more grand.
I'm aiming for it to not be too isolated. The bridge is still dead center of the map and will have an elevator near by though that is obviously not apparent yet in the pictures.

Office will probably be unused yeah, though I think that is true of most of the head meeting offices.

Most of my maps end up gigantic/empty (see: space battle away mission) so I may have overcompensated and made it a bit small.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #326870

The shuttle platform sits pretty much directly over the bunker, and is surrounded by a main hall loop where various departments will have their front facing windows. The RD and HoP offices both connect to an elevator that will be close to the bridge/bunker.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #326872

>>>>>>>>>>4 WIDE HALLS

BREAKING NEWS: LOCAL ADMIN BREAKS LAW OF NATURE, IS LYNCHED

@Bridge

The entrances need a double airlock. Swap the locations of the meeting room and the AI upload. Remove any of the double walls, and make the rooms box shaped like they always are.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #326874

Whoops, glad you caught the four wide thing before it became impossible to fix
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #326885

Rooms dont need to be made square its not really important there, but the airlock door thing is really mandatory, unless the whole bunker area is alrady command only
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #326889

Was gonna put the second set of doors on the other end of the bridge once I figured out how long they would be
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #326966

Don't forget to adjust the baseturfs!
pubby
Github User

Post by pubby » #327033

I'm liking it.

The HoP office could use a little indentation like this:

It adds coziness and the paper bin is convenient for mimes.
DireVictory
Byond Username: DireVictory

Post by DireVictory » #327073

looking good! Gives me dungeon keeper 2 vibes for some reason. Is there a way for players to create up/downstairs?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #327086

DireVictory wrote:looking good! Gives me dungeon keeper 2 vibes for some reason. Is there a way for players to create up/downstairs?
Not yet but letting players create ladders is probably something I'm going to have to add
pubby wrote:I'm liking it.

The HoP office could use a little indentation like this:
Will try to fit one in, not sure if I left myself any space though
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327126

unless you did some reworking and changed the 4 tile hallways already you could just pull the office farther into the hall and that would give you some room to set a table in somewhere
Limey wrote:its too late.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #327929

Is the lava moat part of the final design? If so I suggest a small perimeter of regular ground between the lava the walls so people can break into the windows but you can also push them out, they get blown by atmos or accidentally fry themselves when running away. Pretty nerve wracking to navigate as an ash ligger on mining when breaking into mining base so should give greys a thrill.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #330254

I've not had much time to be on a computer in the last week but I got a bit of science done. Also the lava bridges have windows etc and lead to a hallway but that isn't enough to be worth screencapping.

naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Post by naltronix » #330309

Are you doing ruins?
If you are, are you looking for people to make some of them?
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #330338

Ruins are planned. I would like help with them but if nobody else does them I'll probably end up mapping those as well.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #330340

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/27153
If someone could revive and work on this, That'd be really awesome
pubby
Github User

Post by pubby » #330355

How are ladders going to work? If they activate when you step on them it might be awkward to have them right in front of the RnD door.

Also, don't forget the R-walls.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #330359

They are activated by clicking.

And I'm going to figure out where to put R-walls after the general shape of everything is done, yeah
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #330387

Don't forget that you probably want some ramps/lifts for people who are pulling stuff like canisters.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #330390

R&D is pretty open in my opinion
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #330395

Anonmare wrote:R&D is pretty open in my opinion
?
Tokiko2 wrote:Don't forget that you probably want some ramps/lifts for people who are pulling stuff like canisters.
Thanks for reminding me to do this https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30202
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #330530

I mean, it looks a bit too open is what I mean, like there's space not being utilised. I feel like it should be in its own dedicated room but still fairly open (like how box does it).

That's just my opinion at any rate
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #330673

There is a buncha empty space yeah. Not really sure how to rearrange that/hoping players will enjoy it anyway since RD tends to use the extra space for machines.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #332804

Library/Janitor/Disposals/Kitchen are all in the northern bit of the main loop

The DnD room is underground (as is the librarians study). The disposals dumps trash into that pool of lava in the bottom left. The red Xs are what I'm using to stay aligned if that helps.

Librarians secret room looks like shit right now so I'm planning on redoing that. Everything underground will eventually have maint* connecting or surrounding it rather than being in an empty wasteland.

*I might give up and throw it on github and hope someone else wants to map maint though I'm not sure how to make it good
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #332806

The undergound librarian idea is AWESOME but I was hoping it would look different than the rest of the library, other than that this map is doing some really cool stuff like the chasm disposals that connects to janitor's office and stuff

GOOD JOB!
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #332910

I really like the library layout, it feels just right for some reason.

On the other hand, the stairs right in front of the RnD door seem out of place, even a semirealistic workplace wouldn't have a staircase two steps past the entrance. They should ideally be on a niche in the wall somewhere, or on the end of a hallway.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
pubby
Github User

Post by pubby » #333161

This is such a minor point, but having disposals connect to a well-lit hallway diminishes its mystique. Maybe connect it to a maint tunnel instead.

It's been fun watching your progress.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #333173

pubby wrote:This is such a minor point, but having disposals connect to a well-lit hallway diminishes its mystique. Maybe connect it to a maint tunnel instead.

It's been fun watching your progress.
I guess it wouldn't be much trouble to mirror the room and put the door on the other side
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #352221

As per Kor's request and noted in the planetstation development thread, I'll be taking over the mapping duty for planetstation's cavern (underground) and jungle (surface) z-levels. As an idea of what the project might look like, here's a bit of a teaser of Kor's previous bridge area compared to the recent (details not finished/finalized). The cavern level will feature predominately darker tiles and colours whereas the upper will focus on lighter colours to reflect their relation.

(Old) Kor's Bridge Bunker
Spoiler:
New Bridge Bunker
Spoiler:
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #352237

I think you put firelocks on top of the airlocks in some places
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #355907

An update on progress, the bridge area z-levels for surface and cavern levels are more or less mapped out. Proper electronics, atmospherics, cords, piping, etc to come later. Red landmarks are placed to show how the map parts line up with each other to ease viewing.

Lower Level:
Spoiler:
Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #357785

The next department being mapped is security. The surface level will feature a more dynamic and unique layout (to some extent) from what is regularly seen on our most played stations. Proper electronics, atmoshperics, cords, piping, etc to come later. The lower level will feature the permanent brig, a morgue, a sanitarium and infirmary, and the "education" chamber.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #357815

pubby wrote:The downside of an isolated bridge is that there's less reason to be in there. Less activity in the bridge means less firefights. It's a problem my map has too.

Dead-end flavor rooms aren't always a bad thing, antags need their murderous hidey holes.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #359760

The medical department will be a bit more dynamically shaped in that instead of focus behind shifted to one side, it is angled with two entrances in a way that should allow medical to have more diverse coverage and interaction spread throughout the department. The morgue, virology, and additional assets will be featured on the lower level. With the new science updates leaving scientists with less full-interaction duties with a possible shift of toxins to atmospherics and techwebs being more of a passive design, genetics may be moved to science while cloning will stay under the medical department.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Medical will, additionally, be featured as being directly across (or under) security, which should allow for an interesting flow of gameplay dynamic. The two departments will have a joint security checkpoint on the left end of the hall which will feature an airlock that players can use to exit the station and enter the outside jungle area.
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #359761

>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Not ok. The rest looks good though.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #359770

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Subject to change. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do that area since I still have to do the exterior of the station after the rest of the station itself is done.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #359812

that medical waiting room is adorable
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #359867

The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #359868

Okand37 wrote:

Subject to change. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do that area since I still have to do the exterior of the station after the rest of the station itself is done.
Plese ignore all of shadowdimentios criticisms it baffles me he can still figure out how to use a comuter i think he might e some sort of neural network that just spits out the worst possible ideas
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #360001

As a bit of a fun aside project away from the main departments, I decided to start on the library. I'll be carrying over the same idea that the game room and librarian's personal study will be located on the cavern level for aesthetic purposes.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #360850

A quick update on the library. I wanted to start on the service department, but due to the library's width I couldn't see a plausible way of shoving it all on the right side of what will be the hall leading up/from arrivals. I decided to get a bit creative and merged the bar with the library in an attempt to create a "net cafe." I believe the fusing of these two areas will make the library a bit more of a circulated place due to its close proximity to the "net cafe." Hydroponics and the kitchen will be featured across the hall on the right side.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #362676

Some more updates on the service department. As I was still being rather indecisive with how the library was strewn out, I took a break and started working on the other half of the service department and have made the food court, kitchen and kitchen coldroom, as well as the theatre and its backstage. Hydroponics will be featured to the right of the kitchen, possible adjustments to come. The net cafe has had a slight adjustment made to it, while the library itself has been overhauled completely.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #362721

Today has been fairly productive. I started working on hydroponics and settled with a layout I'm fairly happy with. There will be windoors separating the counter between the kitchen and hydroponics as well as a maintenance door where the plating opening in the wall is in the hydroponics room.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #363637

After taking a small break from development, I decided to start working on the cargo department today and have more or less finalized it. The miner's shuttle pod has been replaced with an express elevator down to hell, guaranteed to get you to your destination without power failure along the way or your money back! As opposed to the regular "lower-level" which the other elevators will bring you to, the mining elevator will bring you down to a lavaland on a different z-level in a separate part of the underground.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #364231

Kor wrote:

The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.
Space requires special equipment to enter and not die to, the outside on planetstation has no such requirement (as far as I know).

As for the other stuff, I like the designs but the library/bar and hydro are EXTREMELY cramped. Imagine 3 botanists trying to work in that space, or 5 people bumbling around in the bar. Just not much room to move without running into someone.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #364425

Not a lot, but as most people seemed warm to the idea of the waste disposal line running through the custodial storage room, I decided to move the janitor's office close to cargo and add the waste disposal line. The chasm will lead down to the second level underground to a small trash compactor room of sorts.

Upper Level:
Spoiler: