Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Xhuis
Github User

Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Xhuis is running, too

Postby Xhuis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 pm #328080

Hi! I've decided that I've been here long enough and think myself enough of a good fit that I've decided to run for headmin this term.

Who the heck are you?
I'm Xhuis. I've played SS13 since 2013 and /tg/ since 2014. I've also coded a massive amount of content, fixes, and refactors for the game - over 300 PRs and counting! I also made the shadowling gamemode (which was eventually removed, after I was unhappy with it) and clockwork cult (which I have not maintained for a very long time, but am in the process of reworking)

Why are you a good fit?
  • I've been around for a very long time, and can recognize issues with the server as a whole;
  • I have coded for several years and listened to players and peers extensively in what can be improved;
  • I can recognize my own flaws and I do not attempt to hide them for what they are;
  • I have some management experience - the Coder rank on the server, as well as some tempminning for certain things, and I'm a Server Manager on the unofficial /tg/station 13 Discord server

What do you view as the biggest problems with /tg/ right now?
I think /tg/as a whole is currently very well-off and doesn't need any drastic overhauling. There are some things that I think need changing:
  • Admin and headmin positions should not be given to people who only want to further their own agendas/projects or who are passive/don't log on often. Admins should be volunteering out of goodwill for the server and should actively take a role in doing their job instead of AFKing and not responding to adminhelps that they don't feel like respond to. I've begun to see more and more lazy admins, and it usually ends up being the new trialadmins who do any of the real work.
  • I think that grief-tier repeated provocation or greytide should have a point at which it becomes an administrative issue and not an IC one. I have spoken with several people who are constantly targeted across rounds by people trying to grief them, and make a good point in that, if they respond by fighting, then it's thus valid for the other party to escalate to murder with no consequences. This is fundamentally flawed for obvious reasons and that kind of grief should be cracked down on.
  • I think that security should not have a free pass to do whatever they please with a round, and that Rule 1 should be more strictly reinforced. I recently saw a round where an HoS, at roundstart, walled off all exits to the gulag, deconstructed the console, stole every pickaxe, and removed the botany supplies from the prison wing. I think that such behavior shouldn't be sanctioned under the justification of the player being a security role, and that, while strictness should be encouraged, needless ruining of another player's rounds should not.
  • While I as a player enjoy every gamemode (it's kind of a crux of mine, given that as a coder I have to design such things), many people have made very valid points about the impact of conversion modes. They're a design honeypot; at a glance it seems an ideal solution to preventing murder and removal from the round, it ends up forcefully placing players into a role they may not want to play, often with very complex mechanics which they are outright demanded to learn, as well as an unclarity on which actions are protected by their antagonist status. I feel that /tg/ currently has too many conversion gamemodes that occur too often; Revolutionary and Bloodcult I believe should stay as the original two and because conversion is thematically required; with the upcoming rework for Clockwork Cult I think that it would not quantify as a conversion gamemode in its own right (and may even have conversion removed entirely) but others should not remain.

Do you have a "plan" for what to do after election?
I don't intend to immediately start changing things. I would discuss my own thoughts on the issues the server has with the other headmins and admins, and change them as I'd see fit until they reached a point that would benefit the server in most of their eyes; if it proves a bad idea, then I will admit responsibility for it and drop the subject entirely.

I can't think of anything else off-hand. Please give me your thoughts and questions, positive or negative, and I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay

wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity

ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.

CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.

wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay

IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.

wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL

Qbopper

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Xhuis is running, too

Postby Qbopper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:03 am #328123

With regards to:

Admin and headmin positions should not be given to people who only want to further their own agendas/projects or who are passive/don't log on often. Admins should be volunteering out of goodwill for the server and should actively take a role in doing their job instead of AFKing and not responding to adminhelps that they don't feel like respond to. I've begun to see more and more lazy admins, and it usually ends up being the new trialadmins who do any of the real work.

Can you elaborate?

How will you enforce this new stance?
Where would the line be drawn between being "lazy" or not?
How long a period is acceptable in your eyes where someone doesn't log on, for whatever reason?
How will you find out if an admin is avoiding ahelps intentionally and what would you do about it?
Can you clarify the first point you made? I'm not really aware of anyone being given an admin position to further their own agendas or whatever
How will you manage to get the admin team to care about these changes?

The general consensus I see among admins is "don't feel bad for not logging in often - we do it for free and because we want to, it's not a job" or something along those lines, so I'm very curious how you'd plan to overcome this
Limey wrote:its too late.

Xhuis
Github User

Postby Xhuis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 am #328149

Qbopper wrote:With regards to:

Admin and headmin positions should not be given to people who only want to further their own agendas/projects or who are passive/don't log on often. Admins should be volunteering out of goodwill for the server and should actively take a role in doing their job instead of AFKing and not responding to adminhelps that they don't feel like respond to. I've begun to see more and more lazy admins, and it usually ends up being the new trialadmins who do any of the real work.

Can you elaborate?

How will you enforce this new stance?
Where would the line be drawn between being "lazy" or not?
How long a period is acceptable in your eyes where someone doesn't log on, for whatever reason?
How will you find out if an admin is avoiding ahelps intentionally and what would you do about it?
Can you clarify the first point you made? I'm not really aware of anyone being given an admin position to further their own agendas or whatever
How will you manage to get the admin team to care about these changes?

The general consensus I see among admins is "don't feel bad for not logging in often - we do it for free and because we want to, it's not a job" or something along those lines, so I'm very curious how you'd plan to overcome this

Hi, thanks for the questions. In order:

The execution of the whole thing would vary between admins, and if there was an actual reason they can't log in often (i.e. burnout) then I'd be willing to oblige it. The thing I want to crack down on is admins not doing anything unless they're forced to for extended periods without explaining anything beyond their own not wanting to.

I'd like to be lenient with enforcement. I would first explain to the offending admin that there's an issue and ask that they either rectify it or give some sort of explanation (assuming that it's not obviously just them trying to weasel out of work.) If it keeps up, I'd give them a warning and reiterate to fix it; if they still don't clean up their act, I would drop them to a trialadmin, and then to a normal player if the problem persists.

By "lazy", I cite the extreme cases; I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that, as the definition was very vague. This is people who don't log on for two months, and then when they do they just play MIDIs and leave any of the ahelps to the other admins or make no effort to help at all.

It'd vary by case. I think the standard would maybe be a month or so if they're obviously still around but haven't done any admin work on either server would be enough to catch interest, and if it persists for another few weeks it'd be enough to stop. I would say the standard would be 3 months total for the issue to persist without any kind of explanation on their end; even enough as "I'm burnt out and want to take a break" would be enough to get me off their case - I don't want to demote anyone unless they invoke my wrath!

Intentionally avoiding ahelps seems like something that isn't really easy to diagnose. It would likely come from personal observation of them being the only admin online with multiple open tickets and them not doing anything about it (although that might be them just being AFK, which I would accept.)

I'm not aware of it either, and the point I made probably sounds paranoid. The suspicion is if someone were to get admin just to mess around and screw with other people, instead of actually doing things that an admin should be doing normally. It hasn't happened before but some people have come close in the past (like SOS and Uhangi.)

I can't force the admin team to do anything. As a headmin, I'd say what my own policy on it is (assuming the other headmins agreed with it after I spoke with them about it), but it'd be up to them to act on it, like it always is with headmin decisions. If it's something the admin team is vastly against, then I'll scrap the idea entirely. It's them who're doing the adminning, so I hardly have a place to yell at them for not doing it exactly like I want.

I agree with the other admins' consensus (not a job) about it, and I'm completely against making it seem any other way. But even if they're volunteering, it doesn't excuse if they're shirking the whole thing they signed up for. Our admin team seems pretty kickass, however, and I haven't really seen it, but there are some exceptions that I've noticed among recent ones (nobody current, but within the past 1-2 years) that stand out to me.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.

wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity

ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.

CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.

IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.

wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL

TheColdTurtle

Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Postby TheColdTurtle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:31 am #328175

Has a huge crush on Joan so like lzimann he will bend over backwards to try and appease them in any way possible.

Qbopper

Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Postby Qbopper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 am #328177

cool, thanks for the big reply, was just curious if you had thought this through at all
Limey wrote:its too late.

loqoman

Byond Username: Loqoman

Postby loqoman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:03 am #328492

Xhuis,

As a headmin, how much energy/recourses would you put into documenting(Comments, documents, spreadsheets, ect) /tg/ code?
[Security] Jan Michael Vincent VIII says, "Even without legs, Bo tried to escape."

Armhulen
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 am #328497

what does that have to do with being a headmin at all

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 am #328500

I've made a sticky thread about this but yes, headmins do not have any more oversight over the code than any other admin/player (except of course where they are already a maintainer)

naltronix

Byond Username: Naltronix

Postby naltronix » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 pm #330001

im saying yes because:
you are a cat
you post cute cat pictures
also:
what will you do with pancakes when you become headmin?
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this

Xhuis
Github User

Postby Xhuis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 am #330047

Eat them, presumably.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 am.
Reason: deleted, low effort post
View this post

naltronix

Postby naltronix » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:17 pm #330694

What will you do about tiders in non antag rounds?

Spoiler:

Xhuis
Github User

Postby Xhuis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 pm #330709

Normal tiding I think falls under normal gameplay (the dreaded IC Issue); this is just stuff like normal crime, and I don't see any reason to stop it as it is.

The thing I do plan to address is targeted griefing/intensely tiding a single person through the entire round with the purpose of interfering with it. The person being griefed can't retaliate, as the griefer can then use escalation an excuse to murder them, which results in an awful limbo where the griefer can do a hell of a lot without interference. I think that if it's obvious that that's what's going on, and not generalized tiding, that it should be a rule 1 offense.

naltronix

Postby naltronix » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm #330714

Sounds good!

Spoiler:

Return to Archived/Deleted