Chemicompiler in /tg/

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Finianb1
Byond Username: Finianb1

Chemicompiler in /tg/

Post by Finianb1 » #236968

After many long hours of tedious chemistry shifts, making the same medicines over and over again, I tried to find a way to automate the tasks of mixing, heating, and bottling my chemicals. After a long while, I ave finally found the answer. The GoonStation ChemiCompiler is a device that can be programmed to automate the simple and trivial tasks of mixing, heating, and bottling chemicals. Now, I know what your thinking. However, it is not as straightforward as it may seem. The GoonStation ChemiCompiler is programmed in a highly esoteric and difficult language, BrainFuck. (The ChemiCompiler variant is called ChemFuck.) Using only symbols, pointers, incrementation, and decrementation, BrainFuck ensures that the ChemiCompiler will not make chemists' jobs easier. More often than not it will be more difficult to write a ChemFuck program for a medicine or chemical than it would be to just make it manually. The real value is that it allows you to mass produce chemicals more easily, in the long run. However, the ChemFuck implementation will come with a few caveats. It absolutely must ignore all non instruction characters (This includes tabs and spaces). This will allow for code commenting, making the process of debugging or changing your code much easier. The full explanation and tutorial on the ChemiCompiler can be found here: http://wiki.ss13.co/ChemiCompiler. For cross-compatibility, it must also follow the same rules and syntax as the GoonStation ChemiCompiler, making it possible to copy and paste code between both codebases, as long as the recipes are the same. Thanks for reading, please comment with your feedback or suggestions below.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Chemicompiler in /tg/

Post by Saegrimr » #236971

So it's the "Copy & paste recipe list from pastebin to do your job for you"?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #236975

Saegrimr wrote:So it's the "Copy & paste recipe list from pastebin to do your job for you"?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #236977

I'm not porting brainfuck, no
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #237026

kevinz000 wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:So it's the "Copy & paste recipe list from pastebin to do your job for you"?

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #237035

Yes I know saeg's comment was on point, but lets not have a giant quote train please.
Finianb1

Post by Finianb1 » #237183

Actually, I am an avid programmer, and ChemFuck offers a very interesting challenge. I would definitely be willing to do the work to code for my own recipes that I use often, such as my mannitol and cryoxadone mix, or, for traitor, my cyanide smoke grenade and my fluorosulphuric foam grenade. I would even be willing to program in Befunge-98 for the ChemiCompiler, if the opportunity was presented.
karlnp
Byond Username: Karlnp

Post by karlnp » #237193

i don't think it's a good idea. automating IRL chemistry has lots of benefits! i don't see them with the SS13 role on tg - if you're bored with mixing your recipes, give the role up and play something else, let new people have a chance.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #237303

iamgoofball wrote:I'm not porting brainfuck, no
You don't have to bby

(If you can't tell, that's a brainfuck program from wikipedia, for outputting "Hello World!\n", you can't see the \n though cos they're invisible)
私は完璧
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #237304

Jesus Christ
Bob Dobbington
Byond Username: Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #237314

Brainfuck would probably be a mistake but a DSL for chemist would go a long way in terms of increasing depth in the job. Ideally you'd want something that could control the various chem machines and transfer between them. This doesn't need to be a roundstart thing, this is something that we can gate behind R&D, and that means we don't have to dick around with deliberately obtuse things like esolangs.
Game Admin for /tg/station. I usually play Daisy Holmes, the botanist.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #237316

esolangs are fun though.
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #237409

>automate a job to make it less tedious, but more boring in the long run due to everyone copypasting instead of being original
>gate it behind r&d to make science even more autisticially powerfull
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #237501

Mixing IS tedious though.

I think having a somewhat large buffer in the chem dispenser might go a very long way to solve the problem.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Finianb1

Post by Finianb1 » #237823

Bob Dobbington wrote:Brainfuck would probably be a mistake but a DSL for chemist would go a long way in terms of increasing depth in the job. Ideally you'd want something that could control the various chem machines and transfer between them. This doesn't need to be a roundstart thing, this is something that we can gate behind R&D, and that means we don't have to dick around with deliberately obtuse things like esolangs.
I was thinking about some sort of DSL last night. It would be really useful to be able to automatically pipe created pills and patches to smart chem storage, or even beakers from a chem dispenser to chem heaters or the chemmaster 3000.
Remie Richards wrote:esolangs are fun though.
I totally agree, this would make it more difficult than just C++, Python, or another language that is relatively common. Using brainfuck makes it more of a challenge, and increases the skill cap of chemist. I know I'd certainly use it for my healing foam grenades, and many other recipes that are longer snd more complicated, such as Epinephrine.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #237829

You could just make it where the chem machines have a 1000 unit cylinder for mixed chemicals to go into.

The beaker you put into this empties from this cylinder

Chemicals can react in it, you can upgrade it in RnD to prevent this.

in order to prevent le ebin goonports
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #237887

Finianb1 wrote:
Bob Dobbington wrote:Brainfuck would probably be a mistake but a DSL for chemist would go a long way in terms of increasing depth in the job. Ideally you'd want something that could control the various chem machines and transfer between them. This doesn't need to be a roundstart thing, this is something that we can gate behind R&D, and that means we don't have to dick around with deliberately obtuse things like esolangs.
I was thinking about some sort of DSL last night. It would be really useful to be able to automatically pipe created pills and patches to smart chem storage, or even beakers from a chem dispenser to chem heaters or the chemmaster 3000.
Remie Richards wrote:esolangs are fun though.
I totally agree, this would make it more difficult than just C++, Python, or another language that is relatively common. Using brainfuck makes it more of a challenge, and increases the skill cap of chemist. I know I'd certainly use it for my healing foam grenades, and many other recipes that are longer snd more complicated, such as Epinephrine.
Isolangs would be fun in theory, but in practice just means copy-pasting and reliance on out-of-game resources, which is bad.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #237889

Then why doesn't that happen at goon?
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #237924

iamgoofball wrote:Then why doesn't that happen at goon?
Two main reasons.

-Server culture that values MUH SIKRITS

-Moderation of the wiki/official forums to remove SIKRITS that are posted

People looking to post/looking to find secrets or copy paste scripts don't have any clear place to look. Even with that in place, there's stuff on Pastebin, but it's much harder to find. Here, unless we were willing to put rules against it in place (we shouldn't), the scripts would quickly make their way to the forums and wiki where they can be easily accessed.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #237928

Drynwyn wrote:-Moderation of the wiki/official forums to remove SIKRITS that are posted
Don't forget actively going and changing the code when they are found and spread around to make that method no longer work.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #237933

They only care about solarium secrets or recipes for the secret chems.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #238231

iamgoofball wrote:I'm not porting brainfuck, no
Make /tg/code brainfuck compliant 2017.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #240703

>Obscure ingame language that everyone just copies and pastes.

This sounds a lot like NTSL
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #240717

Porting the chemicompiler would be a huge waste of time but Goon has a slightly different thing that people actually used. You'd type out the name of the chems you wanted dispensed separated by a ; and it would spit it all out at once. Made chemistry tacticool if you went through the trouble of making a script for initro or something.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #241078

i like the idea but brainfuck is just dumb. if at all it should be some sort of weird assembly language.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #241080

tacolizard wrote:i like the idea but brainfuck is just dumb. if at all it should be some sort of weird assembly language.
ShadowDimentio wrote:Porting the chemicompiler would be a huge waste of time but Goon has a slightly different thing that people actually used. You'd type out the name of the chems you wanted dispensed separated by a ; and it would spit it all out at once. Made chemistry tacticool if you went through the trouble of making a script for initro or something.
"I don't like X! I really think we should add *description of X* though!"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241082

Why yes, Goof, I would say that there's a difference between the chemicompiler and the chem dispenser code thing in the same way a unicycle and bike are different. Sure they both get you somewhere but one is a pain in the ass to use.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #241511

Let's use brainfuck, but this instead. https://esolangs.org/wiki/Ook
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #241516

Saegrimr wrote:Let's use brainfuck, but this instead. https://esolangs.org/wiki/Ook
Maybe if we get a genetics equivalent.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Finianb1

Post by Finianb1 » #246242

I like the idea of assembly, but it would use the same concepts as BF, such as 1024 8 bit registers and simplicity, but would extend it with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and simple conditional execution, as well as possibly even IO. I can write up a language spec tonight.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #246246

We already have a thread for this. https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32
Hikurac
Byond Username: Yezinka

Post by Hikurac » #247019

ShadowDimentio wrote:Porting the chemicompiler would be a huge waste of time but Goon has a slightly different thing that people actually used. You'd type out the name of the chems you wanted dispensed separated by a ; and it would spit it all out at once. Made chemistry tacticool if you went through the trouble of making a script for initro or something.
This. I main scientist on goon quite a bit, and it's a fantastic feature. Made a related QoL suggestion post about it on their forum a while back and they made it more functional by allowing you to implement the specific amount of each chem to be dispensed. The only thing is I'm not sure if it's sequenced or not.

I.e. "oxygen=10;water=10;oxygen=10" might dispense 20u of oxygen at once, rather than 10u of oxygen, 10u of water, then 10u of oxygen again.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #247079

Hikurac wrote:
This. I main scientist on goon quite a bit, and it's a fantastic feature. Made a related QoL suggestion post about it on their forum a while back and they made it more functional by allowing you to implement the specific amount of each chem to be dispensed. The only thing is I'm not sure if it's sequenced or not.

I.e. "oxygen=10;water=10;oxygen=10" might dispense 20u of oxygen at once, rather than 10u of oxygen, 10u of water, then 10u of oxygen again.
This just takes us back to the issue of scripting or pastebining chem. At that rate you might as well take the powercreep the final step and replace the base chems with buttons that dispense the final products and turn the chem dispenser into a vending machine.
Hikurac
Byond Username: Yezinka

Post by Hikurac » #247118

cedarbridge wrote:
Hikurac wrote:

This just takes us back to the issue of scripting or pastebining chem. At that rate you might as well take the powercreep the final step and replace the base chems with buttons that dispense the final products and turn the chem dispenser into a vending machine.
Dunno about how it would work out on tg, but it's not an issue on goon. Very few people bother to use it, because it is limited to the size of a beaker, and more importantly, it requires effort. Complex sequences require that you write out the sequence by using arithmetic, which is something most spessmen don't care to do. As for pastebining, I don't think people would share their more complex sequences, simply because they want to be "the only one who knows." That's human nature. But it only takes one asshole to ruin it, so I see your point.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #247207

Shadowlight213 wrote:>Obscure ingame language that everyone just copies and pastes.

This sounds a lot like NTSL
Is this server-crash friendly as well?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #247208

i think that if the goons can handle it we can
Finianb1

Post by Finianb1 » #326943

I agree, I really want to see this in the game.
naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Post by naltronix » #329572

this would actually be quite cool, but we should have a selection of languages to choose from
dont like brainfuck?
how about befunge?
or deadfish?
hell, maybe we could reuse that fucking tcomms language in this but modify it for chemistry
to discourage infinite loops, we should make the machine explode if it gets into one
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #329599

We removed the tcomms language (NTSL, Nanotrasen Telecoms Scripting Language) because it was garbage and nobody used it (copy pasting scripts is not 'using' it, nor is it gameplay)
私は完璧
naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Post by naltronix » #330002

its still fun for the people who like to fuck with people
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #330008

Hikurac wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Hikurac wrote:

Dunno about how it would work out on tg, but it's not an issue on goon. Very few people bother to use it, because it is limited to the size of a beaker, and more importantly, it requires effort. Complex sequences require that you write out the sequence by using arithmetic, which is something most spessmen don't care to do. As for pastebining, I don't think people would share their more complex sequences, simply because they want to be "the only one who knows." That's human nature. But it only takes one asshole to ruin it, so I see your point.
This community is literally built around sharing complex effort
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #330040

naltronix wrote:its still fun for the people who like to fuck with people
Actually oranges I think the community is built around fucking with people.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #330050

To be fair, current chem mixing is also just having flowcharts of what to click to make a certain chem. I even put a book in the library that listed all pre goofchem recipes flowcharts to make chemicals with the least amounts of clicks(ie correct ratios so they fit in a beaker or leave no extra chems and are immediatly use/mixable, if possible). I don't think that's very different than just copypasting code into a machine and making it do the work for you.