New alien weeds SUCK

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Which alien weeds sprite to do you prefer

New weeds
16%
New weeds
16%
New weeds
16%
Old weeds
14%
Old weeds
14%
Old weeds
14%
Abstain
3%
Abstain
3%
Abstain
3%

Total votes: 87

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

New alien weeds SUCK

Post by paprika » #33139

Why did we downgrade the alien weeds sprite? These do not mesh well at all and it looks blocky as fuck on turfs. Please revert.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: New alien weeds SUCK

Post by Steelpoint » #33141

I liked the old weeds.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #33164

I like the new color more. I wasn't really a big fan of the bright purple before.

Other than that, yeah, there's been a noticeable dip in quality.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #33179

Looks too much like metal foam.
/vg/station Head Admin
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #33186

Good colours, shitty quality. The old purple plasma was silly, and the dark colours are much more in line with xenos. That said, sprite looks good in isolation, shitty next to others. More detail, softer edges.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #33187

First time I noticed it look so blocky. I don't think it was like that at first...maybe something went wrong?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #33191

They just don't look very organic, the escape shuttle really highlights the negatives of the new weeds in that it is a perfect square.

The old weeds not only looked unique, in my opinion, but it had a more organic feel and did not look a blocky.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #33193

Maybe a hybrid of old and new, then? I like new's colour scheme and increased ground coverage, but the old really did look a lot more organic.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #33214

Steelpoint wrote:They just don't look very organic, the escape shuttle really highlights the negatives of the new weeds in that it is a perfect square.

The old weeds not only looked unique, in my opinion, but it had a more organic feel and did not look a blocky.
They're not perfectly square normally, they have edging around them like asteroid turfs do. Seen over to the right in this picture, and also around the vending machine near the top left:

OP cherry-picked an image on the escape shuttle where it seems that the edging isn't applied, a bug.
I don't have a weed preference either way but the feature at least deserves an accurate representation.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #33220

It really does look like metal foam though.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #33224

Yeah what cheri said, That's part of a long standing issue with one sided windows, they suck and in this case they're causing the weed edging not to update.
私は完璧
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #33234

It looks nice with the edging, but still maybe a little too much like it's a wall rather than a floor.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33238

I like the new weeds, shame single direction windows are cocking things up the ancient blighters.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #33252

I did not cherry pick this because aliens taking over the shuttle is a very common thing in admin-made alien rounds which happen pretty often but even with the edging the sprites look like ass compared to the plasma weeds we used to have imo. The weed nodes are built into the ground which looks better than the big blue sacs but now they look like diamond turfs for some reason.

Edit: I was a bit disingenuous in the OP -- I'd rather the new sprites be improved rather than a straight-up revert to the old sprites. But damn, fix the edging somehow.
Last edited by paprika on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #33257

They need better edge sprites, to don't look so square-like
I accept donations, click here
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #33273

I love the new weeds, we could definitely keep them. Like Aran and others say, improve the edges and they are golden. I dislike the walls, though. They look man-made, and not hardened goop that an alien vomited up and shaped. Re-work the walls and give the weeds better edging; That is all they need!
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #33364

They look nice in the dark, where they should be. Stop being a dingus.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #33413

There is a system to give them smooth edges on the station. They look terrible on the shuttle, nice cherrypicking.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #33415

The walls and "smoothing" look terrible and just because you didn't bugtest the weeds on the shuttle doesn't make it cherrypicking :^)
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #33421

It was a design choice, expanding the check to account for shuttle turfs would make it much slower for no reason.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33432

Just a player here but isn't the escape shuttle a huge wad of special circumstances and old code?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #33550

Hornygranny wrote:It was a design choice, expanding the check to account for shuttle turfs would make it much slower for no reason.
It's a good thing we used to have weeds that looked perfectly fine on the shuttle turfs right?

Oh, what happened to those?
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #33564

New weeds anyway look vastly superior to one ones.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #33676

The fact that the walls are literally just the floor with outlines added leaves me to continue to feel like they could do with a change in tint depending on if they're walkable or not
but the complaining about squareness is still pretty silly
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #33681

Incomptinence wrote:Just a player here but isn't the escape shuttle a huge wad of special circumstances and old code?
The shuttle uses unsimulated turfs, whereas most turfs in the game are simulated. It's why the shuttle can't be bombed or otherwise destroyed except by singularity. Now that atmos doesn't rely on sim/unsim turfs they'll likely be phased out one day.
Jacquerel wrote:The fact that the walls are literally just the floor with outlines added leaves me to continue to feel like they could do with a change in tint depending on if they're walkable or not
but the complaining about squareness is still pretty silly
Now there's something I do agree with. If you look at the resin walls compared to the normal walls, resin is a lot darker with much greater contrast between the borders. It needs some work to make it blend into the game better.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #33690

I dont like them being dark grey, gray is boring.

And yeah, they're far too square.
First time I saw it I thought someone had added carpet to their autism fort... unlike a drone popped out of the shadows and raped me.