[POLL] New Name Policy

How strict should the naming standard be held to?

5 : Very strict: Bay Rules
2%
1%
1%
4 : Slightly edited Bay rules: What is currently proposed in this post
12%
8%
8%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
13%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
11%
11%
2 : Very relaxed: Basically anything but Nazi names
11%
8%
8%
1 : Anything goes
3%
3%
3%
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 311

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

[POLL] New Name Policy

Post by Skorvold » #30986

Bottom post of the previous page:

Pick a normal name. You must have a first name and a last name (e.g John Smith). You must not use honorifics or nick names (E.g. Dr Greg House or Jack "Johnny" Johnson), and must be spelt fully with capitals and no shortenings (e.g. NOT J Hoffman or jaiden mallow). Exceptions to this are Eats-The-Lemons format of Lizard names, Clown, Mime, Silicon, Wizard and Nuke Op names. References are still allowed, but try to be original.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Poll added at SoS's request. Added POLL subject tag
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: [POLL] New Name Policy

Post by Timbrewolf » #32936

The problem is, like I said before, the REAL WORLD is full of silly and stupid names.

If I show up in the game named Dick Trickle with this new policy it's likely someone would PM or bwoink that person and ask them to stop using that name.

Because it's "bad roleplay"? Because SS13 exists in a world where no parents ever goofed or someone's name sounds silly when spoked in another language?

Last night there was someone running around who named themselves "Blowjob Clown" and they got bwoinked because they fucking deserved it. That's a blatant strata of yo-what-the-fuck-are-you-even-doing.

But if I want to name myself Shabadoo McSlamdunk, or Hugh Jass, or just "Scruffy", you can't immediately discount that as bad roleplay because you don't like it.

"Ol' Scruffy thinks you're just banning things you don't like, and aren't actually trying to encourage roleplay."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #32944

My lizard character has many S's in it, is that not allowed?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #32946

Scott wrote:My lizard character has many S's in it, is that not allowed?
I thought I was gonna choke on my drink when I saw Aiden Sssscott.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #32950

It's the stupid humans fault for fucking my ID up.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #32967

Saegrimr wrote:
Scott wrote:My lizard character has many S's in it, is that not allowed?
I thought I was gonna choke on my drink when I saw Aiden Sssscott.
That HoP is a hero
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #32998

Lizards shouldn't have human names.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33026

Maybe the humans have had lizard names this whole time.

EDIT

Just want to point out that no decision has been reached on this yet, the vote is for a policing of mononames and nicknames.

Currently the rule that is on the books is still just
Avoid using non character names. If you have a very offensive name or an obviously immersion breaking moniker like 'xenohunter360' you will be asked to change it.
So when I log in and see admins bwoinking people for having names like "Noodle Wings" or "Cartoons Plural" it seems like they're jumping the gun and administrating what they personally want and not what the rules or the community is voting for.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #33064

rule 0 lol
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #33095

An0n3 wrote:Maybe the humans have had lizard names this whole time.

EDIT

Just want to point out that no decision has been reached on this yet, the vote is for a policing of mononames and nicknames.

Currently the rule that is on the books is still just
Avoid using non character names. If you have a very offensive name or an obviously immersion breaking moniker like 'xenohunter360' you will be asked to change it.
So when I log in and see admins bwoinking people for having names like "Noodle Wings" or "Cartoons Plural" it seems like they're jumping the gun and administrating what they personally want and not what the rules or the community is voting for.
FYI, it was agree'd in adminbus to already enforce the new naming policy which INCLUDES nicknames. The vote was only put there at Scaredofshadow's request and does not, in fact determine the outcome of the policy in anyway. It is merely a tool to see what the community thinks and to take their thoughts into account.
Again, to make this clear. The new policy is already enforced, covering mononames and nicknames as well. This poll and thread was only made to get community input on the change and for the community to discuss it. Admins are not jumping the gun, you are simply not up to speed on the situation.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33117

Ah cool so adminbus:

1) Conducted a poll just to see what the community thinks what would be best, and then ignored it.

2) Decided to start enforcing new rules without letting people know a decision had been reached in the thread discussing the policy, and without updating the rules on the wiki.

Goooooooo team!

When did this conversation take place, and who decided on it? Because I was hanging out in adminbus all day yesterday and for a good while earlier today and didn't hear anybody talking about it.

I asked HBL about it in OOC when the situation I talked about earlier arose and he didn't have any reply.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #33150

An0n3 wrote:Ah cool so adminbus:

1) Conducted a poll just to see what the community thinks what would be best, and then ignored it.
Conducted a poll, yes. Ignored it? No. There is still debate about mononames and nicknames based on community feedback.
2) Decided to start enforcing new rules without letting people know a decision had been reached in the thread discussing the policy, and without updating the rules on the wiki.
This thread was made to announce new rules, that is why it is called New Name policy. Maybe that was not clear enough. As far as the the wiki rules, that was discussed in adminbus and I was told it would be updated.
When did this conversation take place, and who decided on it? Because I was hanging out in adminbus all day yesterday and for a good while earlier today and didn't hear anybody talking about it.
This happened a couple days before "yesterday." Just because you are never in adminbus does not mean that things are not discussed simply because you are not there. I can not find the original conversation as my IRC client does not go back far enough, but I can find the follow up conversation involving scaredofshadow's opinion.

View here: http://privatepaste.com/0b77c1c363
As of now, the naming policy is being tossed around back and forth and admin's are using their best judgement based on what we have talked about. It's a mostly solid, agreed upon idea and policy with some chinks to work out.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33243

NikNakFlak wrote:It's a mostly solid, agreed upon idea and policy with some chinks to work out.
Das racist.

Regardless nothing you just said is true but arguing here or with you about it is pointless. It's an entirely subjective policy based on what each individual admins believes is too goofy or not. Someone might see Hiro Protagonist and recognize it as a reference to another sci-fi work. Someone else will just see a goofy name worth bwoinking someone over. To say that's "solid" is a joke.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #33272

Hiro Protagonist was a really fucking dumb name in snow crash, and it's a really fucking dumb name in SS13.

I don't know which is worse really, naming your character based on a popular work of fiction, or just having a dumb name in general...

Either way, the old name policy was fine except it bothered a few 'very special' individuals, but for some reason those individuals now seem to be making up the rules.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #33302

An0n3 wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:It's a mostly solid, agreed upon idea and policy with some chinks to work out.
Das racist.

Regardless nothing you just said is true but arguing here or with you about it is pointless. It's an entirely subjective policy based on what each individual admins believes is too goofy or not. Someone might see Hiro Protagonist and recognize it as a reference to another sci-fi work. Someone else will just see a goofy name worth bwoinking someone over. To say that's "solid" is a joke.
Everyone in adminbus agreed to the policy on page one at the time. It's not our fault that you were not apart of that discussion. Leaving for an extended period of time tends to do that. It's also not really my problem that you think that everyone is doing whatever. There is the written policy, and admins do their best to enforce it within their interpretation of said policy. This is the case with EVERYTHING. Rule 1 is a prime example of a primary subjective rule that relates. You are the one who has been out of the loop for awhile and you are entitled to your opinion. But an opinion based on outdated and lack of info, is a dumb opinion.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33325

This is the case with EVERYTHING. Rule 1 is a prime example of a primary subjective rule that relates.
Now you're saying something I can actually agree with. Because what the hell Rule 1 actually can be used for and what "being a jerk" really means is something nobody can ever quite agree on. How much of a jerk is acceptable? Is someone being too sensitive?

Comparing that clusterfuck to this new naming policy is exactly what I'm talking about.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #33349

There is a policy layed down and admins interpret it to their best of the ability just like everything else. Its not a clusterfuck, its the same as every other policy and rule, the only reason it is being attacked in this way is because it is new and disliked.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #33352

So... why are the admins creating and enforcing rules that are disliked?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33354

The difference is it's easy not to have Rule 1 invoked on you. Just follow all the other rules and you'll definitely be okay.

This naming policy? Like what about the name I've been using for years, "Hugh Griffin"?
I mean Griffin is like, a meta-term right? That's not canon!

Am I okay because >muh grandfathers?
Does it sound enough like a "real" name to pass?

Whose judgement gets used for that? I think it's okay, and I'm a game master. So that's okay, right?

Ultimately the real-

Fuck damiac ninja'd me
damiac wrote:So... why are the admins creating and enforcing rules that are disliked?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #33394

unlike rule 1 subjective policy on names is literally just whether or not the admin likes your name or not
it has nothing to do with actually breaking any rules, and thats why its a shit policy
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #33395

That is a retarded excuse. Just because something is not liked, does not make it less valid.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #33402

miggles wrote:unlike rule 1 subjective policy on names is literally just whether or not the admin likes your name or not
it has nothing to do with actually breaking any rules, and thats why its a shit policy
I really doubt this is the case. Give me some examples of names that have been banned by admins who are being the name-police unfairly.

Actually, admins aren't supposed to be banning names anyway, according to SoS they're supposed to be force-renaming. After several notes for poor name choices I'd see why a ban would be necessary but this really seems like an issue people are making For No Reason when the name policy we've always had (don't use stupid names unless you're a clown) has always worked fine.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Re: Anon3

Post by Hornygranny » #33406

Below is the version history for the rules page of the wiki since July. It's ten pages of way more than double spaced text with very large font.

19:56, 21 September 2014‎ Hornygranny (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,438 bytes) (-68)‎ . . (undo)
08:43, 26 August 2014‎ Kosmos (Talk | contribs)‎ m . . (22,506 bytes) (+30)‎ . . (Updated the silicon policy.) (undo)
08:10, 11 August 2014‎ MrStonedOne (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,458 bytes) (+1)‎ . . (→‎Primary Policies) (undo)
08:09, 11 August 2014‎ MrStonedOne (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,457 bytes) (+1)‎ . . (→‎Primary Policies) (undo)
08:08, 11 August 2014‎ MrStonedOne (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,456 bytes) (+2)‎ . . (→‎Primary Policies) (undo)
(03:59, 30 July 2014‎ Jordie0608 (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,454 bytes) (+196)‎ . . (Updated IC in OOC policy as per adminpoll) (undo)
05:17, 6 July 2014‎ Jordie0608 (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (22,258 bytes) (+3,983)‎ . . (added new silicon policy, restructured page) (undo)
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33416

[Snark that contributes nothing to the conversation and edited in hindsight]
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #33419

NikNakFlak wrote:That is a retarded excuse. Just because something is not liked, does not make it less valid.
It's a fucking game dude
If the policy isn't liked why fucking keep it around

I'm still wondering why? Like, it's honest to god fun policing. "Your fun is not right and is bad and wrong and I am putting an end to it!"
Why are you guys so insistent on something like this?
Spoiler:
inb4 "Adminbus agreed on it so we're right" or "fuck off sawrge"
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #33420

I'm pretty sure the grey tiding policy isn't liked but we keep it anyway because The Loud Shitposters On The Forum Do Not Make Up The Entire Server
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Re: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #33422

Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed nobody has changed anything for over two weeks and this
Is still the policy for what's appropriate for people's names.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #33425

Grey tiding affects the round in an actual meaningful way.
Names are literally just text the worst that could happen is you have a long ass name and people try to scream alphabet soup over comms when you murder them.
Don't get me wrong, it's always been policy to change especially shitty names (nazi stuff, random characters, screen names, whatever) but banning names like Large Puff or whatever is just silly.
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #33426

To paraphrase our glorious leader, we are still in the "ask nicely" phase, but are progressing towards the "no choice" phase.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #33427

captain sawrge wrote:Names are literally just text the worst that could happen is you have a long ass name and people try to scream alphabet soup over comms when you murder them.
Now that you mention it, having a long name could be a real advantage...

Introducing my new character:
V'Lanta'la'mana'ma'nisha Smith.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33434

Hornygranny wrote:To paraphrase our glorious leader, we are still in the "ask nicely" phase, but are progressing towards the "no choice" phase.
But come on.

You play "King Jerome". Are you not a little bothered that someone might balk that you're using "King" as a firstname? If you play King Jerome and I play Hugh Griffin, are we not setting a double-standard in some sense? It's okay for us to use those names because we've used them for X months. Or because we're arbiters of what is right and wrong and so we both sign off on ourselves.
QuartzCrystal wrote:An0n3 is a cool guy who I got along with great back in the day. Glad to see him being more active, though he could tone down the dramabus maybe.
I'm going to cross-post something I posted in Steno
Adminbus has done a lot of work and put up with a lot of shit from other people to get things stable and working as good as they are now. A lot of things that used to be HUUUUGE messes are all smoothed out and nice. I imagine it was a struggle to get there. And now out of nowhere comes this jackass screaming and yelling like he knows better than all of them. I don't blame anybody that is like "wow what a fucking jerk". I definitely could've approached a lot of these policy threads I'm currently still screaming and yelling in with a lot more tact. I could've spent more time in adminbus saying my hi's and hello's and warming people back up to the thought of having me around.

But decisions are made pretty quickly and the policies that are up for debate are really important to the core feeling of this place. Precedents are being set that are just out of this world, shit we never would've given three minutes of thought before. I don't have time to be nice. Persons unnameable dug up my coffin and said "hey could you look at this?" and...goddamn.

Saegrimir, just for example, is probably going to think I'm a fucking lunatic forever now, because that's how I conducted myself while talking to them. And by all rights they're a good admin, but they're championing policies I think are crucially awful and I'm the only sickly pale purple colored forum account that is going to bat against those changes in a big way.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #33437

the people who complain about their greytiding being shut down should already be banned, or have been. that isnt comparable to people complaining about the name changes considering afaik none of the people doing it have ever been banned for a considerable amount of time
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #33441

No, Prince, Duke, and King are not uncommon names, and pun names that are also real names (Ayla Mao) are not banned.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33444

Hornygranny wrote:No, Prince, Duke, and King are not uncommon names, and pun names that are also real names (Ayla Mao) are not banned.
Another proviso I don't know because I wasn't present for the official ruling.

Like every player on the server who wasn't a fly on the wall for that discussion.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33448

Well I simply must play as Duke Prince King now.
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #33453

That's why people aren't getting banned for it.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #33454

1) Is it a real first name
2) Is it a real last name
3) If there's a middle name, is it a real name

If yes to all three or yes yes N/A, you're fine.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33498

What makes a name "real"?

I ask that because there are plenty enough examples of real people with ridiculous names I believe most admins who are hot to police player names would probably reject for not being "real" enough.

Your "American McGee". Your "Hashtag Jones". The "Apple"'s of the world.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #33501

Depends on what admins want at the moment.

Maybe we should just make random names mandatory to cut the middle man out here and nuke the server's population.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33502

Grey tide policy is a totally different thread. If you want to talk about that or equate it to different things it would probably serve better to do it over there than try to do it here.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33512

Mistah Nailbrane is half real.
i know because there is a mistah in jojos
i also googled it apparently indian/common muslim name
i been onta ya sneakin' hummie gits fer yonks
miggles

Post by miggles » #33515

yeah but its pronounced "meestah" instead of "mistuh"
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33527

The character would be totally fine with that bombastic pronunciation.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #33529

Nailbrane's a 40k reference, which is A-Okay. He even acts orky.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #33531

Hence why I was in here telling people Mistah is a real name and not really fussing over the last part. OH TRYING TO GET AN UNUSUAL FIRST NAME OVER US HERE IS OUR BOOK OF WESTERN BABY NAMES YOU ARE NOW A BATHOLOMEW.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #33533

I've been using Func U Vehicle since I started playing in 2011. I have had no reason to ever change it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #33535

Had a good conversation 1:1 with someone on the other side of this policy and it brought to light a sentiment I may not have expressed as succinctly in this thread yet:

This new rule turns names that were acceptable last month, three months ago, a year ago, or three years ago, into offenses against a new rule.

It "criminalizes" players who weren't doing anything wrong or noticeably bothering anyone. And it must be that they were bothering SOMEONE with those names, or there wouldn't be such fervor for more restriction about it.

So I think myself and a lot of others are left wondering...who is really bothering such that NOW is the time that it HAS become noticeable and something needs to change?

Did enough old people who didn't care leave that now the majority do care about it, or do we have enough new input such that it overwhelms what once was?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #33675

Pandarsenic wrote:1) Is it a real first name
2) Is it a real last name
3) If there's a middle name, is it a real name

If yes to all three or yes yes N/A, you're fine.
These are ifs, not iffs. That is, these are not the ONLY ways to have a name you're fine with, but a way to ensure no matter how dumb your name is, it will be safe.

Func U Vehicle, while I would probably, personally, make it U. instead, is structured like a name so I don't know about other admins but I'm not gonna flip shit over it.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #33760

what is a real name because I got adminpm'd about this (name - SIngulo Food)

literally what the fuck is a real name

a real name as per 21st century mainstream western society standards with allowances for puns and ultimately subjectively determined by the admins online?

a real name as per 500 years into the future where we have no idea how culture and society turn out, in a station where nothing makes sense?

Singulo Food was perfectly fine before new admins popped up, it fits the latter category, has a first and last name, and is perfectly plausible given the wacky nature of the station. Would it have been fine if it was Cingulo Foood? Do admins pushing this shit policy want to be insulted that way?
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Deuce

Post by Deuce » #33908

Not everyone currently alive on Earth in 2014 has a sensible first name + surname.
Not sure why people expect it in their space office murder and atmospherics simulator.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #34513

Who is this policy for? In fact, what is the purpose of the rules at all? I assumed it was so the players could have a Good Time (TM). But now it seems more like the rules are there for the administration's enjoyment, as the playerbase doesn't seem to actually support them.

So, what are the rules actually for? To make sure the players Have a Lot of Fun, or to make sure the players Have some Fun, the Right Way.
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #34531

Coders and administrators are the curators of the game experience. We do things that may not be popular (runspeed change, trustworthy sec) because we think it's the best direction for the server. We are generally right.

I like the subtle implications that things you don't like are the work of "new" admins when they're all stamped with HBL's seal of approval.