Lets talk books

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
QuantumDelpha

Lets talk books

Post by QuantumDelpha » #3126

Books. Those paper things with words and stuff in them. Lets talk about our favorites, interesting ones, etc etc.
Be it boring drama novellas or a massive codecs detailing exactly how insane Ward is.

I'll start it off. I started reading Wuthering Heights about 3 months ago, after being entranced by Kate Bush's interpretive dance to her song about it. Yeah well I got about 1/4 through an ebook of it, and kind of got bored of it. I mean, it's my sort of literature. Long, detailed, lots of big words I can use to impress friends, that sort of thing, but I dunno, the plot just got a bit too hard to follow. It's a fun book to read, but it's hard to keep up with it. I'm thinking about picking it back up again, but I'm afraid I might have to start it all over again, having probably forgotten most of the plot.
This dog has ringworms, hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms, rabies, ticks, fleas, cataracts, brain tumors, prostate cancer, testicular tumors, ovarian cancer, coprophagia, diabetes, various mental illnesses, along with a laundry list of other issues so long that Santa can't even check once.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/card/1/76561198012600559.png[/img]
But god damn he is the best pet you can get for .99 cents.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Re: Lets talk books

Post by ThanatosRa » #3177

I have read books, yes.

Most recently I've read part of(It was stolen before I finished) the first Dangerous Visions sci-fi anthology, George Carlin's Last Words and A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole. His first and only novel. Damn good book. Damn funny. Unfortunately it would not be continued because of O'Toole's suicide eleven years before the book was even published. Basically they found the manuscript and pushed to have it published because apparently at the time it was that amazing. Consider Ignatius Reilly, best describe as the most recent ancestor to the modern Neckbeard, having a horrific adventure through early-60s New Orleans.
Last edited by ThanatosRa on Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #3207

Books!
Books books books.
Books books?
Book.
God I love books.
I've just started reading a lot of books by James Michener, may or may not want to fall in love with an Native American qt after reading his book Chesapeake.
I've read a Song of Ice and Fire. Not too too into it, but the books were on sale and Arya is a super fun character.
I've read some of the /lit/ required books, like Stoner and Infinite Jest. Stoner was excellent, Infinite Jest had it's moments.
My favorite books include, but are not limited to, Animal Farm, The Music of Erich Zann, Beware of the Purple Peanut Butter, and I'm very partial to the Hitchhiker's Guide series.
Boooooooks.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Rumia29

Post by Rumia29 » #3211

Well I recently finished
A Bridge Too Far By Conelius Ryan and
And then there were none By Agatha Christie
And I'm currently reading
Vimy By Pierre Berton
All good books.
I haven't re-read much of my manga lately, kind of loosing it's charm.
Battle of the Servers 2014: Team Terry Member
Image ImageImage
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #3213

If you want to learn how horrible I am, I ready the unabridged version of Moby Dick in the span of a single night when I was twelve. For recreation.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #3221

I've recently started listening to Stephen King's The Gunslinger. It's actually pretty damn good.

For some reason I've lost the motivation to actually read books. Only way I can get into them right now is by listening to audiobooks.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Quey

Post by Quey » #3254

The last thing I read was The Little Prince during a three week jury service (and it's short, so by no means did it take the whole time to read). I also read I, Robot during that time. Both are great and I'd recommend them.

On a side note, I have a curse on me. Twice, I've had people give me a book and say, "He is my favorite author, you should read this.", and on both occasions I started reading the book the next day and the author died. The first was Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s Cat's Cradle and the second was Catcher in the Rye.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #3266

I've been reading The Culture series and it's pretty good.
Anton Raginovsky

Post by Anton Raginovsky » #3277

I recently just finished reading John Dies at the End and it's sequel This Book is Full of Spiders.

I loved them. They're the dumbest books I've ever read and I couldn't get enough. There's something about a book that has dick jokes on one page and existential, extra-dimensional horror on the next. They're not the best books I've read--the first one is a little disjointed and has some pacing problems, and the humor can seem a little juvenile and forced at times--but I've never had so much fun reading a book before.

More seriously, I'm a fan of Cormac McCarthy. The Road, Blood Meridian, and All The Pretty Horses are some of the most fucked up and beautiful stories I've read. His writing style takes some getting used to, but it's certainly worth it for the shit this guy comes up with.
I've recently started listening to Stephen King's The Gunslinger. It's actually pretty damn good.
You're in for a treat. That series is probably King's highest point. Everything is really tight and top-notch.
Image Image
Image Image
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #3284

I've read a fucking metric ton of books, I read through the entirety of Twilight in like a week. (LOL GAY)
I read the Hunger Games then watched the film and had a fucking bitchfit at how inaccurate the film is. Also Katniss was sexualised as fuck and that annoyed me.
I play Boris Pepper.
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #3353

I'm currently halfway through reading Eragon before I move onto the Einarinn series.

Enjoying it a lot so far.

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #3359

For me, Eragon had a great start but I started to become bored near the end, I tried to read the next book but I lost interest.

Will it get better if I pick it up again?
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #3370

It won't.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #3375

Eragon only gets worse as it gets longer
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #3391

Oh well.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #3394

everyone here should read neal shusterman's unwind series it is the best
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #3491

Bluespace wrote:I've read a fucking metric ton of books, I read through the entirety of Twilight in like a week. (LOL GAY)
I read the Hunger Games then watched the film and had a fucking bitchfit at how inaccurate the film is. Also Katniss was sexualised as fuck and that annoyed me.
It's Hollywood, what did you expect?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #3494

I came here thinking it said Lets talk boobs...
Hey.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #3495

Know what I love books about?
Pirates. I can pretty much always read a pirate book regardless of the plot.
Spoiler:
MrSnapwalk
Byond Username: MrSnapwalk

Post by MrSnapwalk » #3540

Reading the Foundation series by Issac Asimov. So far, it's really awesome.
Petethegoat wrote:we need to procedurally generate asses so they can actually be used as evidence
JStheguy wrote:Being a closet serial killer is not polite, helpful, truthful, or clean.
I am the last of the moderators for the /NT/station subforums. Please don't PM me any questions, comments, or complaints, because there is nothing I can do about them.