Decentralize Research

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Decentralize Research

Post by onleavedontatme » #355799

Deconstructing random nonsense for tech levels is replaced with the techweb, so RnD is now a passive timegate that the RD can set a queue for vs a full time job for scientists

Each department gets its own lathe which automatically gets the appropriate designs sent to it (the warden can print fancy new guns, engineering can print flightsuits or new tools or whatever, medbay gets the implants)

QM gets to view how many resources are in each lathe and decide where to send the mining hauls

Circuits replace the research lab as sciences main job where they build insane custom robots https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/32481

RnD becomes a background track of the stations progress that everyone benefits from (and maybe everyone contributes to, if we let completing tasks in various departments give boosts to the techweb). The round no longer hinges on a single room/that single room no longer has cooler stuff than everyone else within 20 minutes. Everyone gets cool stuff instead of constant wars about "RnD powercreep"

Is this back of a napkin concept worth expanding on?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Decentralize Research

Post by PKPenguin321 » #355800

Science becomes factorio would be awesome, I know that much
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #355801

Sounds good boss.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #355804

While we're at it, move toxins research to its rightful place, atmospherics. Circuits are an interesting concept - ninja suggested sharing circuits between engineering and Science. Is there some way that could be accomplished here?
Players can and will create their own fun.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #355807

I like it a lot, and duncathan's idea is good too.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #355808

Barring anything else, this seems like a good solution to a sticky problem.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355810

duncathan wrote:While we're at it, move toxins research to its rightful place, atmospherics. Circuits are an interesting concept - ninja suggested sharing circuits between engineering and Science. Is there some way that could be accomplished here?
It would be extremely difficult to do that given those two jobs are usually mapped on opposite sides of the station from one another
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #355811

Kor wrote:
duncathan wrote:While we're at it, move toxins research to its rightful place, atmospherics. Circuits are an interesting concept - ninja suggested sharing circuits between engineering and Science. Is there some way that could be accomplished here?
It would be extremely difficult to do that given those two jobs are usually mapped on opposite sides of the station from one another
Really all they need is access to the testing launch area and some TTVs and signallers on their desk
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355813

How about revamping robotics into the circuitry department and have them work with engineering? We do have an EngieSci encryption key unused in the code
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355814

Anonmare wrote:How about revamping robotics into the circuitry department and have them work with engineering? We do have an EngieSci encryption key unused in the code
Robotics already has a solid amount of work with augments/borgs/mechs and are not a source of great controversy, they're not at the top of the list to replace or redo
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #355815

A major change like this would be a good time to do a major remapping of Box regardless. Other maps can update themselves or fall out of rotation (maybe remap Meta too)
Players can and will create their own fun.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #355818

How will mining materials be distributed in this system?
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355821

The QM will see receive requests for materials from various departments and then send out mulebots/cargo techs to deliver them once he has decided who deserves it most.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355829

If the plan is to make research pervasive then there needs to be some sort of way for the department getting the upgrades to interact with the process toward those upgrades. This should require the majority of the work be done by the actual science department but medical should be contributing into the pool if medical is getting the top tier upgrades to their stuff.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355830

Kor wrote:The QM will see receive requests for materials from various departments and then send out mulebots/cargo techs to deliver them once he has decided who deserves it most.
Can't you already use the (currently never-used) request consoles for this too
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #355831

I would be willing to remap metastation and boxstation's toxins to atmospherics if this is going to be a thing.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Post by naltronix » #355833

fund it
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #355834

Kor wrote:The QM will see receive requests for materials from various departments and then send out mulebots/cargo techs to deliver them once he has decided who deserves it most.
So QM now has the most important role in the station. Suddenly both the HoP line and cargo line will be full. I can't wait to bomb both lines.

I like the idea better than the current research means. However, science would need more to it than robots, BRING BACK TELESCIENCE
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355840

cedarbridge wrote:If the plan is to make research pervasive then there needs to be some sort of way for the department getting the upgrades to interact with the process toward those upgrades. This should require the majority of the work be done by the actual science department but medical should be contributing into the pool if medical is getting the top tier upgrades to their stuff.
Medical contributes by keeping everyone alive that is their role in things. Maybe unlocking certain viruses or genetics powers could give boosts though.
captain sawrge wrote:
Can't you already use the (currently never-used) request consoles for this too
Yeah, it wouldn't require any extra work other than letting the QM remotely check how much different lathes have stored in them.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #355845

YES, BRING BACK TELESCIENCE, FUCK THESE USELESS LAUNCHPADS.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355846

Could have the consoles show the current web and request/prioritize certain research too might be neat
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #355848

This is a good idea lorewise as well because it helps to justify all these other departments on a research station and spreads the love a bit

+1
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #355859

How do individual departments contribute to research? Do they get something like unique items/reports to give to the RD for research? Or is it just a passive thing that happens as people do research-esque stuff?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355869

TribeOfBeavers wrote:How do individual departments contribute to research? Do they get something like unique items/reports to give to the RD for research? Or is it just a passive thing that happens as people do research-esque stuff?
They won't in the initial version of this because I don't want to kill the project with feature creep but examples might include

-Cargo blowing cash on buying tech boosts/mining discovering tech boosts in ruins

-Medical getting boosts for discovering certain powers or viruses

-Atmospherics having target custom gas mixes like robustin suggested

-Some sort of deconstrutive analyzer knockoff in security for them to consume traitor gear for boosts

-Botany I'm sure could do plants or something

-Science will have the experimentor eventually
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355873

PKPenguin321 wrote:Science becomes factorio would be awesome, I know that much
Wyzack wrote:This is a good idea lorewise as well because it helps to justify all these other departments on a research station and spreads the love a bit

+1
Limey wrote:its too late.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #355886

Side idea if this goes through, but consider decentralizing the entire science department in a way, by giving other jobs departmental versions of the labcoat.

it is a spriting thing I know, but just changing the little purple stripe on the science labcoat to other department colors would make RPing as an atmospherics scientist, or botanical researcher, or medical researcher a little easier.

Maybe add optional titles as well.

It would cement RnD as a stationwide thing and limit the actual science department to focusing on xenobiology and robotics.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #355922

okay, why not, i'll merge it
megatiger78
Byond Username: Megatiger78

Post by megatiger78 » #355923

What's this?

a good idea?

outside of the bad ideas thread?
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #355937

This actually sounds like a pretty fantastic idea that I wouldn't mind seeing test merged.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355938

Calibraptor wrote:This actually sounds like a pretty fantastic idea that I wouldn't mind seeing test merged.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #355949

Techwebs are almost done except for two compile errors.
After that we need to get integrated circuits working and somehow get a departmental lathe system that is manageable without it being who can loot cargo first.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #355954

What is the incentive for a Scientist or the RD to bother interacting with the R&D system? Do they still have access to all the current designs? Btw, if you do not add a proper distribution system for minerals, then most of the time a single department will hog the majority of them. Fun conflict for a while, but no ideal for every single round.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355956

Laziest way would be a quartermaster ID lock instead of science RD lock before remapping ore redemption location out of the public hallway

Also as far as departmental lathes go, do you think you could add a new var to each tech that determines which lathe it goes to?

The lathes being medical, security, robotics, engineering, supply (for mining)

I could try doing it if you dont want to though you have done a ton of work already
Gun Hog wrote:What is the incentive for a Scientist or the RD to bother interacting with the R&D system? Do they still have access to all the current designs? Btw, if you do not add a proper distribution system for minerals, then most of the time a single department will hog the majority of them. Fun conflict for a while, but no ideal for every single round.
The science department will still want to build mechs (though a regular scientist wont interact much with the techwebs). The research director probably still want to grab things from various lathes (we can give him access).
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #355960

You could give the QM a console that lets them see the material levels of the various lathes and the ability to send a mule bot to remotely fill them.

Makes the QM a bit more important, and allows for materials to potentially be stolen as they travel to a department. This would let antags and/or disgruntled employees sabotage the supplies of particular departments or steal the materials for themselves if they wanted.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355962

There's also the mail room. Package a crate, tag it with the scanner and send it via disposals
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355963

Kor wrote:The research director probably still want to grab things from various lathes (we can give him access).
The RD would gather the fruits of his department's labor by going to the different departments of the station where he doesn't have general access to use a lathe in those departments where he does have access?

That sounds really clunky.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355965

His department wont be labouring on RD anymore
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #355973

maybe we could add a special mulebot, that is specifically for hauling ores, and it automatically dumps a specified amount of ores from the orm replacement directly into the dept autolathe, so the normal crew doesnt have to deal with ores, unless you're trying to steal the ores.

then we can have the qm look at the various levels of ores, and send out mulebots on their own.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #355974

If anyone wants to do some lazy recolours of the protolathe to make a variant for:

Supply

Medical

Engineering

Security

I'd appreciate that
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #355979

Kor wrote: Also as far as departmental lathes go, do you think you could add a new var to each tech that determines which lathe it goes to?

The lathes being medical, security, robotics, engineering, supply (for mining)

I could try doing it if you dont want to though you have done a ton of work already
Research designs are already separated by categories. We can divide up the accesses using that, making adjustments/new categories as needed. I.E. The "Firing Pins", "Weapons", and "Ammo" categories would be locked to Security.
Kor wrote: The science department will still want to build mechs (though a regular scientist wont interact much with the techwebs). The research director probably still want to grab things from various lathes (we can give him access).
I still have a problem with this. The Roboticists will want to build mechs, a normal Scientist will now have one less job to do. There is also talk of removing Toxins from Science and giving it to Atmos. If you are restricting or removing the protolathe as well, then you are severely diminishing what that role used to be. There will only be Xenobio left for a normal Scientist (unless the circuits thing gets in I guess). While Xenobio is loaded with plenty of content, it is at max a two person job.

The combination of restricting access to designs along with the limitations Techwebs will bring may result in those designs not being researched. Why would I care about designs other than upgraded stock parts, mech equipment, borg upgrades and gear for the miners? If by "give him access", you mean giving the RD access to other departments like the HoS has, I would recommend against it. Simply put, the Scientists would be reluctant to spend the research points on something they cannot get or use.
ninjanomnom
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Ninjanomnom
Github Username: ninjanomnom

Post by ninjanomnom » #355982

The project tracker can be found here:
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/projects/12

I definitely feel that whatever mapping changes we want to do should all be done in one go. If we do really end up with integrated circuits being shared between science and engineering that's going to require a pretty major map overhaul and everything else can be done at the same time.
I still have a problem with this. The Roboticists will want to build mechs, a normal Scientist will now have one less job to do. There is also talk of removing Toxins from Science and giving it to Atmos. If you are restricting or removing the protolathe as well, then you are severely diminishing what that role used to be. There will only be Xenobio left for a normal Scientist (unless the circuits thing gets in I guess). While Xenobio is loaded with plenty of content, it is at max a two person job.

The combination of restricting access to designs along with the limitations Techwebs will bring may result in those designs not being researched. Why would I care about designs other than upgraded stock parts, mech equipment, borg upgrades and gear for the miners? If by "give him access", you mean giving the RD access to other departments like the HoS has, I would recommend against it. Simply put, the Scientists would be reluctant to spend the research points on something they cannot get or use.
Integrated circuits getting in is part of the core of all this happening. Toxins most likely won't be getting out of science without it as much as I'd like to.

Also as far as the behaviors of scientists: You can't change how people will act without changing something first or major admin policy change.

All this leaves room for some buffs to science again and people like always are going to love buffing science.
Narcissistic stuff others said/made for me
Spoiler:
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #355993

What can antags do to sabotage this, and how can the crew recover from sabotage?
I lurk quite often...
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #355996

Kor wrote:If anyone wants to do some lazy recolours of the protolathe to make a variant for:

Supply

Medical

Engineering

Security

I'd appreciate that
i want to do this but only if nobody else is
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355997

If I knew spiriting, I'd just put a departmental-coloured stripe along the side. Simple and identifiable
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #356050

Kor wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:What is the incentive for a Scientist or the RD to bother interacting with the R&D system? Do they still have access to all the current designs? Btw, if you do not add a proper distribution system for minerals, then most of the time a single department will hog the majority of them. Fun conflict for a while, but no ideal for every single round.
The science department will still want to build mechs (though a regular scientist wont interact much with the techwebs). The research director probably still want to grab things from various lathes (we can give him access).
What's the incentive for scientists, and not just robotics, though?

Will science still have their own things they can print out, such as parts for upgrades? Does this prevent science from building machines (which would allow them to build the departmental autolathes / chem dispensers / whatever else goof wants to complain about anyway)?

As an RnD scientist I tend to spend a lot of time just building various machines in science / upgrading other machines around the station. More cloning pods, backup science cloner, backup telecomms, etc, and more then one scientist can find a use of their shift in having a fully functioning research department instead of going toxins/xeno/niche science role. Will the new circuits thing still give just as much work for science to do?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #356053

Yakumo_Chen wrote:
Kor wrote:

Will science still have their own things they can print out, such as parts for upgrades? Does this prevent science from building machines (which would allow them to build the departmental autolathes / chem dispensers / whatever else goof wants to complain about anyway)?

As an RnD scientist I tend to spend a lot of time just building various machines in science / upgrading other machines around the station. More cloning pods, backup science cloner, backup telecomms, etc, and more then one scientist can find a use of their shift in having a fully functioning research department instead of going toxins/xeno/niche science role. Will the new circuits thing still give just as much work for science to do?
He mentioned this being tied in with the Experimentor machine, but apart from filling a lab with crabs and pugs I've never really found much entertainment from that process. I never found the "feed the bullshit into the grinder" process terribly interesting, the parts and tools you could get after the drudgework were interesting and allowed for lots of fun station upgrades. Medbay becomes your best friend after you've installed their 5th cloning pod.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #356106

JJRcop wrote:What can antags do to sabotage this, and how can the crew recover from sabotage?
Blow up the R&D server. Alternatively, let the R&D server computer control research available at the various lathes, with some (or all) being removed at will.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #356119

Most of this sounds great!

I dislike moving toxins to atmospherics, but other then that its 10/10
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Noka
Byond Username: RinokaRain

Post by Noka » #356126

cedarbridge wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:
Kor wrote:

He mentioned this being tied in with the Experimentor machine, but apart from filling a lab with crabs and pugs I've never really found much entertainment from that process. I never found the "feed the bullshit into the grinder" process terribly interesting, the parts and tools you could get after the drudgework were interesting and allowed for lots of fun station upgrades. Medbay becomes your best friend after you've installed their 5th cloning pod.
The main joy of the current process is when you first learn it - while you can treat it as FEED BULLSHIT INTO GRINDER at the end - is the joy of spelunking around the station accruing random shit with research values.

Nothing wrong with changing it into techwebs, but I'd have to say that if scientists no longer have a defined purpose aside from toxins or robots, they should get something extra for the Techweb (such as increasing science generation via calibration? Or something like that - Research should have some active science to it, it shouldn't just be sitting on your hands and picking web nodes. That works in a singleplayer game, but SS13 is anything but.)

I'd prefer for researchers to have a genuine purpose in respect to the techwebs, not just casually sidelined into being secondary roboticists.
bunny232
Byond Username: Bunny232

Post by bunny232 » #356454

Sounds great would rate this 10 dead heretics out of 10 dead heretics