Moodlets

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Moodlets

Post by Qustinnus » #356512

Hello TG citizens. I have a somewhat controversial idea, that I have already partially coded for my own repo, but which I think could work on TG.

Now, this idea will probably get instantly rejected by most of you for being too high RP. But I hope after reading this topic I can atleast kind of change your mind on that.

First of all, my idea: Add a mood system for humans which allows them to gain or lose happiness based on recent events.

Being in a bad mood could take the effect of current hunger (being slowed down, replacing hunger's negative effect with a bad moodlet or possibly toxin damage), and make you sob randomly or in REALLY extreme cases (as in, you just saw your mother die, your dog got lynched, and your PR was closed. All at the same time.), stun you and make you cry for a while. These effects would not always be happening. They would happen if you are either severely abusing yourself, or being abused by an antag. So please don't worry it'll continiously stun you in bad times because you didn't do X and Y. There's no plan to make it be like that.

Good moods positive effects are to be thought about in the future.

Either way, mood is gained or lost by gaining moodlets, these moodlets can be something simple like "I recently had some nice food +1 happiness" or "I recently saw a clown +1 happiness". This system potentially adds some fluff to character development, and combined with things such as hulk, you could have a new system of balancing positive and negative effect (Being a hulk could give you a huge negative mood effect, for example.)

Now, I can already imagine a lot of you will proclaim that this idea is too H-RP, but that's where I disagree. H-RP servers would actually dislike this idea because they revolve around the idea of passive RP, in which RP is usually, well, passive. You pretend your character dislikes the clown, you pretend your burger is wrapped and you unwrap it, you pretend the engine is more complex than it's mechanics offer. This idea however, is a game mechanic. It doesn't make you pretend, it just sets up another game rule. And it's actually another challenge for you to face. It would give us another way to balance a lot of features. And in a way you can just compare moods to damage on a very high level. You can gain (heal) or lose (get damaged) mood, and that makes the game more difficult for you.

Now, I already have a big part of this PR set up and could easily PR it to TG, adding a framework that allows anyone to add moodlets to players that could for example last for 5 minutes, or untill a certain event has passed.

DISCLAIMER 1: the hygiene and needs will not be included, as I don't think TG would be too interested in that.
https://github.com/FTL13/FTL13/pull/2564
DISCLAIMER 2: the hygiene and needs will not be included, as I don't think TG would be too interested in that.
DISCLAIMER 3: Some things in this version of the PR will be changed to better fit TGs level of RP as compared to FTLs. It's mainly as an example of what it could look like.

But as an example, a clown hugs you. You would be able to call

Code: Select all

M.add_event("clown_hug", /datum/happiness_event/clown_hug)
which would result in you giving that mob a "clown hug" event, which could for example give them -2 happiness for a 1 minute duration. You could also make something that adds an event, and then removes it once the event is over (bad moodlet for being handcuffed)

And once again; none of this is final. So even if you dislike some of the parts of this idea, but like others, feel free to give some suggestions that could make this a bit more acceptable.

Pictures of current moodies UI design: Image

Edit: Added a few example of the moodlets we have coded in so far: (Thanks to Ike!)

/datum/happiness_event/creampie
	description = "<span class='warning'>I've been creamed. Tastes like pie flavor.</span>\n"
	happiness = -2
	timeout = 1800

/datum/happiness_event/delam //SM delamination
	description = "<span class='boldwarning'>Those God damn engineers can't do anything right...</span>\n"
	happiness = -8
	timeout = 6000

/datum/happiness_event/shameful_suicide //suicide_acts that return SHAME, like sord
  description = "<span class='boldwarning'>I can't even end it all!</span>\n"
  happiness = -10
  timeout = 600

/datum/happiness_event/blessing
	description = "<span class='green'>I've been blessed.</span>\n"
	happiness = 3
	timeout = 3000

/datum/happiness_event/honk
	description = "<span class='green'>Maybe clowns aren't so bad after all. Honk!</span>\n"
	happiness = 2
	timeout = 2400

/datum/happiness_event/broken_vow //Used for when mimes break their vow of silence
  description = "<span class='boldwarning'>I have brought shame upon my name, and betrayed my fellow mimes by breaking our sacred vow...</span>\n"
  happiness = -5

/datum/happiness_event/tased
    description = "<span class='warning'>There's no \"z\" in \"taser\". It's in the zap.</span>\n"
    happiness = -4
    timeout = 3000

/datum/happiness_event/drugs/withdrawal_severe
	happiness = -7

/datum/happiness_event/drugs/withdrawal_severe/add_effects(name)
	description = "<span class='boldwarning'>Oh god I need some [name]</span>\n"
Last edited by Qustinnus on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: Moodlets

Post by Shezza » #356532

/datum/happiness_event/headpats
description = "<span class='green'>There is nothing wrong about headpats.</span>\n"
happiness = 2
timeout = 200

/datum/happiness_event/nudity
description = "<span class='green'>I feel shame from being naked.</span>\n"
happiness = -6
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356534

that's something you can PR seperately someday but I don't think I'll be adding too much controversial moodies myself :^)

edit: the nudity one seems fine though.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #356559

This idea makes me believe that you're a brainlet
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356562

calzilla1 wrote:This idea makes me believe that you're a brainlet
Any constructive feedback or does your vocabulary only consist of things you heard oranges say?
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #356571

I think that it might be better if it combined with trait system.
I suggest to make it possible to choose some psychological traits including perverted ones, which can a djust effect from various situations.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356576

A future PR I hope to do is add traits and trait-specific moodlets. Probably no perverted ones, however.
Selea

Post by Selea » #356582

without perverted ones it it's not worth IMO.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356584

this is TG not citadel.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #356596

Selea wrote:without perverted ones it it's not worth IMO.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356598

kevinz000 wrote:
Selea wrote:without perverted ones it it's not worth IMO.
bad kevinz
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #356599

Qustinnus wrote:
Any constructive feedback or does your vocabulary only consist of things you heard oranges say?
Idk, I think the only constructive feedback is to tear it down and give what remains to someone competent
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #356604

Lol calzilla and a positive word in the same sentence Floyd
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356607

calzilla1 wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
Idk, I think the only constructive feedback is to tear it down and give what remains to someone competent
I'd love to see a PR from you so you can show your competence.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #356608

>"let's see you do better"
lol
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356610

DemonFiren wrote:>"let's see you do better"
lol
Not really, I'm just not a big fan of someone I don't know telling me I'm incompetent when they haven't seen any of my work. It's low quality bait. (although I did bite so I guess I'm a retard for doing that kek)
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #356617

I don't like the idea of being stunned for not taking care of myself and being sad, even in extreme cases. Slowdown is punishment enough
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356624

TrustyGun wrote:I don't like the idea of being stunned for not taking care of myself and being sad, even in extreme cases. Slowdown is punishment enough
Alright, I'll stick to slow-down and fluff effects for now, and see how that works. :D
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #356630

OP's picture has me confused as to gender.
OP clarify so I may know if I am gay or nay.
Selea

Post by Selea » #356632

To be clear.I think, your idea is good.But only with traits and lewdness.
Why?Because you can pick set of fetishes and roam the station for related events.Collecting arousal points can be hilarious.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #356635

>implying a clown hug does not spread happiness
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356636

Selea wrote:To be clear.I think, your idea is good.But only with traits and lewdness.
Why?Because you can pick set of fetishes and roam the station for related events.Collecting arousal points can be hilarious.
I'm going to add traits and trait specific moodlets in a future PR if this gets merged. (So I atomize properly) But lewdness is simply not happening. ERP is banned on TG. If you want to change that you have to talk to the headmins not me :P
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356637

bandit wrote:>implying a clown hug does not spread happiness

/datum/happiness_event/honk
   description = "<span class='green'>Maybe clowns aren't so bad after all. Honk!</span>\n"
   happiness = 2
   timeout = 2400
Reece wrote:OP's picture has me confused as to gender.
you're gay sorry. </3
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #356640

Qustinnus wrote:a clown hugs you. You would be able to call

which would result in you giving that mob a "clown hug" event, which could for example give them -2 happiness for a 1 minute duration.
the hug of the clown always must increase happiness, never decrease it

:honkman: :heart:
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356642

bandit wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:a clown hugs you. You would be able to call

which would result in you giving that mob a "clown hug" event, which could for example give them -2 happiness for a 1 minute duration.
the hug of the clown always must increase happiness, never decrease it

:honkman: :heart:
dont worry I wouldn't want clowns hugging everyone to make them depressed. Instead giving the clowns hug a + moodlet would make the clown useful!
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #356644

Qustinnus wrote:
Reece wrote:OP's picture has me confused as to gender.
you're gay sorry. </3
Time to lynch myself I guess.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #356648

Kind of like rimworld
Which is cool if you're observing it but I'd imagine would be more annoying to have to play with
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #356651

For an actually pretty ok idea, there sure are a lot of retards in here shitting up the thread.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #356658

Personally if there's no benefits and only disadvantages then it shouldn't go in tbh.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356664

I hope to make the PR not too invasive but still be noticeable. It shouldn't affect players that dislike it too much, but should still be somewhat relevant for players that do like it, and reward them for using the system. There'll definitely be benefits at some point I just need to think of benefits that wont get powergamed to shit.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #356678

D&B wrote:Personally if there's no benefits and only disadvantages then it shouldn't go in tbh.
The Creep is too real.

Also op is not bad lookin but colonic is the better looking of twinks tbh
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #356688

lifeweb has good ones, being in a bad mood has various bad affects like being more vulnerable to ghosts and overall exhaustion and worse luck but nothing obvious
they always highly promote rp, some examples of good lifeweb moodinators
"I got a cold turkey. I need more alcohol"
"frank frank gave me a nice hug!"
"that guy called me gay!"
"I WANT SEX. NOW!"
"Ew, its a nigger!"
"I have seen a fellow nigga!"
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #356691

Unironically if you want a good mood system I suggest looking at how Lifeweb does it.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356692

Lifeweb is the inspiration for this mood system and Interbay already ported my system because they liked the similarities. This system works almost exactly the same except mine is probably more robust because tg code is best code. Thing is I don't want to make it as invasive as lifeweb's system because then people feel like it pressures them too much.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #356693

True, Lifewebs system is very invasive intentionally. Since keeping your character healthy, happy and fed is a major task you do the entire game.

Not so much here.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #356695

does lynching clowns and greyshirts improve mood
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356696

Which is why for TG I mainly hope to create a fun thing that you can pick to use to your advantage, or let it kind of be a thing, without it bothering you much more than hunger does right now. I also want to use it as a piece of fluff because moodlets are neat.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356697

SpaceInaba wrote:does lynching clowns and greyshirts improve mood
Well..It could..but then it would reinforce griefing and it wouldnt get merged :^)
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #356714

How about different forms of entertainment?
> Playing instruments improves mood greatly
> Listening to instruments improves mood
> Space drugs
> Reading books improves mood
> achieve sheer bliss from sitting in the library reading gay erotic fanfics the entire shift
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356716

Jacough wrote:How about different forms of entertainment?
> Playing instruments improves mood greatly
> Listening to instruments improves mood
> Space drugs
> Reading books improves mood
> achieve sheer bliss from sitting in the library reading gay erotic fanfics the entire shift
Reading books and doing drugs already improves your moods, withdrawal fucks you up big time, though. Listening to instruments is doable to add later. :D
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #356733

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #356735

Qustinnus wrote:
Hello, fucking annihilated
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #356748

A dumb idea would be to add social oriented moodlets partially similar to what goon does and add moodlets to add some form of social consequence to genociding half the station, antagonists can be completley unhinged and ignore it from the start or be incredibly hard to even phase as muh lore conditioning reasoning with something like hallucinations as a result of mass murdering on it.

Some other awful suggestions to suggest to make your life hell are vices that could adjust the effect of moodlets like on lifeweb or adding passive damage resist/health increases to people who are healthy enough but i'm getting into insane ideas guy territory but I like it
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #356769

Yeah Lifeweb does that.

To discourage you just killing everyone, murdering anyone (even some antagonists I think) results in you getting a near-permanent negative mood modifier, and every person you kill/maim adds another modifier which can quickly add up to make you perma have a bad mood.

I'd suggest something similar for this system. However I'd exclude all Antagonists from the system.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #356772

Exclude all antagonists as in antags don't suffer from killing or exclude all antagonists as in you don't suffer from killing antags?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #356774

thot_slayer wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
i don't know who OP is but

>roasts the fuck out of calzilla
>has zero fucking fear and puts (what is likely) a picture of himself as his avatar
>has actual code and isn't just throwing out ideas without substance

qustinnus is a chad
Limey wrote:its too late.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #356775

I mean that all antagonists should not get a negative moodlet for killing or maiming someone.

Killing an antagonist as a non-antag (unless you are a ERT/DS) should still net you a negative moodlet. Both to try and avoid murdering but also to avoid metagaming.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #356776

Qbopper wrote:
thot_slayer wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
i don't know who OP is but

>roasts the fuck out of calzilla
>has zero fucking fear and puts (what is likely) a picture of himself as his avatar
>has actual code and isn't just throwing out ideas without substance

qustinnus is a chad
And chads deserve to burn.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #356779

Good idea
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #356783

i unironically like the idea but shitposters and, for lack of a better term, powergamers, will keep it from getting merged.

good work though op.