Headministration 2; Electric Boogaloo

Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

Headministration 2; Electric Boogaloo

Post by Subtle » #34946

Bottom post of the previous page:

The position of "Headmin" has come to mean far too much without the checks and balances afforded by having a group of them. The current state is that of a "leader for life" with total power over policy decisions and administrative control. This is purely by chance, having resulted from the other two dropping off the face of the Earth. For good or ill, I present that this causes stagnation and the promotion of a status-quo which provides the current holder free-reign to abuse that authority. This thread is not designed to call into question the abilities or judgement of a particular administrator. It is simply to judge the validity of what "Headmins" have evolved into. Not by conscious edict, but by circumstance.

Our elections or the abolishment of this system in favor of a different one (something that has been discussed both publically and privately for a number of months previous to this thread) are long overdue. The goal here in short is to include the public's opinion on the current system, the possible replacements, and to promote awareness regarding the issue so that we might see some sort of change or evaluation come to fruition sooner. Several admins, myself included, would be very interested to hear your opinions.

Among the proposed alternatives, which is by no means a comprehensive or official list, are...

1) A triumvirate selected with (1) decided by SoS, (1) decided by the public and (1) decided by admins.

2) Removal of Headmins in their entirety

3) Elections, be they public or private, to re-evaluate the current candidates.

And remember folks, please do try and keep it civil. I flubbed that pretty hard already by myself.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Headministration 2; Electric Boogaloo

Post by paprika » #35357

Weird then yeah just do that so the coders can have a devil's advocate in #conspiracybus
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #35370

Heres a crazy idea:

Admins submit votes as posts in adminbus listing who they think should be headmin and why.

Those votes are made public and players get to vote on admins' votes.

The admin who made the vote will remain private till the end when the 'winner'(shitty term) is announced.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Staub
Byond Username: Misterstaub

Post by Staub » #35371

i can dig it. keeps it neutral and fair.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198008046930.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198008046930]Image[/url]
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #35372

Is there any restrictions as to who can run for headmin because I want to seriously run for it.
I play Boris Pepper.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35373

p. sure u have to be an admin.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #35376

MrStonedOne wrote:Heres a crazy idea:

Admins submit votes as posts in adminbus listing who they think should be headmin and why.

The admin who made the vote will remain private till the end when the 'winner'(shitty term) is announced.
The admins already get to pick 1, why should they have any influence over the player picked one?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #35393

Can we get Ikkarus to join the code project again so we can elect him coderheadmin?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #35395

Ikky's still an admin, he'd be a viable candidate for that position.

I would suggest doing votes in the order of:

1) SoS'/coderbus' pick
2) Adminbus' pick
3) Playerbase's pick

This way the playerbase gets to see who has already been chosen for the other two roles and get to vote accordingly. By voting last they get to make the most informed vote.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #35426

The headmin that the coders pick doesn't have to be a maintainer or have the coder flag, I don't think. Just an admin who's involved with the codebase would be nice. Like HG, if he wasn't project manager. It gives them an ear into what the admins want, and especially big exploits, because admins find the most serious bugs I've come to find from just observing a lot of the time.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #35428

Coderbus already has ears in adminbus; They just don't care about what adminbus wants.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #35434

If coderbus doesn't care about anybody else in the community, why should they have a rep in the headmin elections?
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #35437

Reimoo wrote:If coderbus doesn't care about anybody else in the community, why should they have a rep in the headmin elections?
>I AM THE COMMUNITY
evrtme
I accept donations, click here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35447

Reimoo wrote:If coderbus doesn't care about anybody else in the community, why should they have a rep in the headmin elections?
So Scaredy doesn't have to bother picking someone, apparently.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

Post by Subtle » #35450

We're getting dangerously close to a derail here.
Let's leave the Admin/Coder culture-war out of it for the moment. It has very little to do with what we're trying to achieve.

SoS wanting Coderbus (a third entity in the arbitrary trifecta of /tg/station) to decide a third candidate doesn't necessarily point to anything other than that perhaps he doesn't want sole control of a choice. Having coders vote on Admins is, for sake of the debate, about as uninformed as players voting on Admins. Anyone who isn't in asay 99% of their time on the server is technically "uninformed." That doesn't make their opinions invalid or their vote not count.

They're still selecting from the same pool. They're still part of /tg/station. Their priorities are just different.

If we're going to oppose the third selection being from Coderbus let's do it for reasons other than "they're meanies and they don't listen to me."
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35471

>dangerously close to a derail.
No I'm fairly certain this is on track, it's just a sore spot that most people don't like talking about.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35482

No he's right it's uncalled for.

If it's what SoS wants then so be it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #35493

paprika wrote:
An0n3 wrote:If it was just a popularity contest why did Intigracy, Deuryn, or myself get so many votes?
B-b-because Intigracy was as much of an attention whore for votes as HBL was? Seriously, if you saw any of Intigracy's FUCK THE ADMINS I'M ON YOUR SIDE GUYS posts you'd realize he just tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator for votes. People STILL like him, too.
this isnt really relevant anymore but youre an idiot if you think he just did it for votes
intig legit hated most of the admins. he left because he thought they made shit decisions.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35509

miggles wrote:
paprika wrote:
An0n3 wrote:If it was just a popularity contest why did Intigracy, Deuryn, or myself get so many votes?
B-b-because Intigracy was as much of an attention whore for votes as HBL was? Seriously, if you saw any of Intigracy's FUCK THE ADMINS I'M ON YOUR SIDE GUYS posts you'd realize he just tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator for votes. People STILL like him, too.
this isnt really relevant anymore but youre an idiot if you think he just did it for votes
intig legit hated most of the admins. he left because he thought they made shit decisions.
Man I'm going to keep stirring up bad blood but...

For a while he and I had been talking privately about him naming me as a successor when he left for the armed forces, to take over his responsibilities while he was gone. Being back and fighting with everyone tooth and nail over practically everything, I see both why he had considered it and also why he didn't do it.

Where is Deuryn in all this? He still logs into #adminbus pretty regularly but I haven't seen him comment on anything recently.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #35516

Deuryn is a myth at this point.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35518

I mean he's right there.

He's always been the kind of person you have to get their attention before you get anything out of him but unless he's dead and he has some kind of macro setup that turns on IRC and logs into adminbus periodically there must be SOME human being on the other end of that connection.

Has Deuryn become the ghost in the machine?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #35519

Yes.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35559

To be fair, everyone basically agreed on the 3-tier vote option and then Scaredy just said that if we go with that option, he'll give his pick to the coders. Putting aside my culture-war opinions, I think this is a nice idea that potentially will bring about a balanced headmin triumvirate that will be able to speak to everyone's concerns.

So the question now is, what order do we do this in? I think doing:

nominations/candidate threads>ingame player vote (linking to threads)>coder vote>admin vote makes the most sense. (although the discussion/votes among coders and admins could happen simultaneously)
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #35560

I disagree with the poll for player choice being made in game, as there will be people who will miss it.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35561

Scott wrote:I disagree with the poll for player choice being made in game, as there will be people who will miss it.
What? You mean the people who don't play the game but post on the forums?

Fun fact: Not everyone visits these forums.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #35563

We can always put 'VOTE NOW THIS IS FOR REAL THIS TIME' in the MOTD
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #35577

paprika wrote:We can always put 'VOTE NOW THIS IS FOR REAL THIS TIME' in the MOTD
Spoiler:
But is it really?

But honestly, a lot of people in game will neither know nor care, and probably just put down random votes if it bugs them to vote.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #35585

Then don't force everyone to vote. Make it visible enough that everyone at least knows about it but only the ones who care about it will actually participate.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35590

Just because this seems to be something we won't come to a unanimous decision on, I've made a separate thread with a poll to discuss the player vote options: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1655

EDIT: Here's a question though, are we all OK with people who belong to multiple groups voting multiple times essentially? Like, there are some people who are players, coders and admins.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #35635

QuartzCrystal wrote:EDIT: Here's a question though, are we all OK with people who belong to multiple groups voting multiple times essentially? Like, there are some people who are players, coders and admins.
Everyone should pick a side and stick to it. I assume player's won't have sway on any admin or coder votes, so it should be equal on all fronts. Same thing between coders and admins. One person, one overall vote.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #35681

Why are coders getting a headmin vote? Last time I checked they still considered themselves to be separate from the community and not accountable.

Then again last time I checked was last year and most of the retarded headcoders that constantly whined about that left forever.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #35696

damiac wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:Heres a crazy idea:

The admins already get to pick 1, why should they have any influence over the player picked one?
I was suggesting that that be how all 3 (or so) are picked
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)