>xrays now only hit one mob

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

>xrays now only hit one mob

Post by Deitus » #357543

so this means it only hits one tile of blob?

what in the fuck is the point of xrays then? where was this discussed? i crave answers
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: >xrays now only hit one mob

Post by iamgoofball » #357544

Deitus wrote:so this means it only hits one tile of blob?

what in the fuck is the point of xrays then? where was this discussed? i crave answers
The github, where everything is discussed
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357545

iamgoofball wrote:
Deitus wrote:so this means it only hits one tile of blob?

The github, where everything is discussed
Is it bad that I'm agreeing with goof?
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357547

i didnt know about it, can you guys fill me in on why blobs are now op?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #357551

SOme stupid drama bullshit where 1 guy wanted to remove everything then compromised it down to only removing the xray then it got compromised down to just nerfing xray
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #357552

Deitus wrote:i didnt know about it, can you guys fill me in on why blobs are now op?
Get good
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357553

PKPenguin321 wrote:SOme stupid drama bullshit where 1 guy wanted to remove everything then compromised it down to only removing the xray then it got compromised down to just nerfing xray
so basically secborgs again. what in the fuck is the point of xrays now? i VERY rarely see them outside of blob shifts or MAYBE an op shift once in a blue moon, and they're basically required to have a chance against the former.

why in the hell do we keep allowing a minority of whiners to make major changes to the game?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #357557

To be fair I imagine they're still pretty good if you're holding a siege on a clock fort or something
I've used them in 1 on 1 fights before they were nerfed and won because whenever the guy I was shooting at ducked behind cover he put only himself at a disadvantage
Spoiler:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357561

>majority of people are fine/indifferent about a feature
>one guy gets dunked
>"waaaaaaaah this is op!"
>a few others jump on the bandwagon
>feature changed/removed

why didnt we just make it so they can go through mobs but not walls? the main reason for xrays existence is now completely invalidated.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #357563

Deitus wrote:why didnt we just make it so they can go through mobs but not walls? the main reason for xrays existence is now completely invalidated.
no?
Spoiler:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #357571

The point of x-ray was/is to go through solid objects. Though now it works more as a weird anti-bio weapon. I would have preferred it simply diminish in damage with each object penetration than this.
Last edited by Iatots on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357574

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Deitus wrote:why didnt we just make it so they can go through mobs but not walls? the main reason for xrays existence is now completely invalidated.
no?
99% of the reason people make xrays is because there's a blob on board. unless im misunderstanding, xrays now only hit one blob tile per shot. thats a massive nerf to crew ability to fight blob.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357585

It is very difficult to balance blob when there is a weapon that instantly wins the round for the crew. Most blob rounds/events end up as a binary "Does the crew have Xrays? If so they win, if not they lose". which isn't interesting for the crew or the blob.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #357623

Remie, I purged your posts because they're not exactly on topic and are going to derail (you've got several (You)s already I've had to delete). No personal offense intended.
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #357626

They were too good VS blobs, that's why they got nerfed. Now they're good just not round-ending for blob.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #357636

They also weren't hard to make. If mining was competent, I could shit out x-ray lasers in ~25 minutes assuming nothing detrimental happened.

A competent scientist can outfit revs in advanced e-guns before the 20 minute mark
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357671

i still see this hard a nerf as a really big downside. what does the crew use to fight late-stage blobs now? bombs/fires harm humans more than the blob and often will earn you a bwoink, and the only thing really left is lasers and welders, which are really only good for the "early game." xrays can be easy to make if competent people do the work, but that rarely happens in the first place. in blob rounds i play i very rarely see them until most of the crew is dead and the blob all but unopposed. if we really have to keep it only hitting one tile instead of not going through walls/only going through x number of tiles, it needs to have way more damage or way longer charge or its just an egun with different sounds.

without xrays, blobs have a massive advantage.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357678

get good deitus we didn't always have rnd that was able to be done anywhere as fast and mining that was anywhere as powerful.
we had to fight blobs before too.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357680

im fully aware of how blobs have been handled in the past, im not a complete newfag. and "get good" isnt an argument, let alone when the only way to fight a blob is melee or guns that run out of charge before they can destroy maybe three tiles. not to mention usually a good chunk of crew doesnt fight the blob in the first place.

im telling you guys, this is going to give blobs a massive advantage they didnt need. if the majority is in favor of this then all right, but mark my words, blob will now have a massively skewed win ratio, and i bet players that dont actively follow github (read: most of the playerbase) are not going to be happy with their lack of options to effectively fight or even have a chance against a halfway competent blob.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #357694

If blobs are OP and impossible to fight maybe the solution is to rescale their points/health instead of just having one gun you can make in 15 minutes that autokills them without any counterplay or interaction?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357695

goddamnit xrays should never have been labelled the "get this if you ever want to win blob".
it should be "get this and you can easily win blob but if you don't have this you should be able to fight effectively anyways".
why are we so reliant on a single R&D gun to counter blob?
yes rnd guns tend to be powerful but nowhere else is a single gun the answer to an entire gamemode (well it's not a gamemode anymore but you get my point.)
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357697

Kor wrote:If blobs are OP and impossible to fight maybe the solution is to rescale their points/health instead of just having one gun you can make in 15 minutes that autokills them without any counterplay or interaction?
>coders caring
kevinz000 wrote:goddamnit xrays should never have been labelled the "get this if you ever want to win blob".
it should be "get this and you can easily win blob but if you don't have this you should be able to fight effectively anyways".
yes rnd guns tend to be powerful but nowhere else is a single gun the answer to an entire gamemode (well it's not a gamemode anymore but you get my point.)
like i keep saying, the only two feasible options are melee and guns that do too little damage vs charge time, which rarely is effective against blobs in early game, let alone late game. i actually like the idea of the station frantically holding back a horrible abomination while scientists frantically work towards a solution before its employed and the crew is victorious. it'd be nice to see a kind of "cure" made for the blob after strenuous conditions are met but again
>coders caring
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #357704

Deitus wrote:
Kor wrote:If blobs are OP and impossible to fight maybe the solution is to rescale their points/health instead of just having one gun you can make in 15 minutes that autokills them without any counterplay or interaction?
>coders caring
kevinz000 wrote:goddamnit xrays should never have been labelled the "get this if you ever want to win blob".
like i keep saying, the only two feasible options are melee and guns that do too little damage vs charge time, which rarely is effective against blobs in early game, let alone late game. i actually like the idea of the station frantically holding back a horrible abomination while scientists frantically work towards a solution before its employed and the crew is victorious. it'd be nice to see a kind of "cure" made for the blob after strenuous conditions are met but again
>coders caring
The guy who has never so much as properly reported a bug complains the people who create the game do not care, makes me think
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357713

Kor wrote:
Deitus wrote:
>coders caring
>coders caring
The guy who has never so much as properly reported a bug complains the people who create the game do not care, makes me think
ive reported bugs before, i just thought i was banned from github. but then again
>coders bugfixing
so it doesnt make a difference anyway
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #357721

I had to make this or else it would get removed outright.

As of now, late game blob is just you delaying the inevitable pretty much. You lose.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #357727

PKPenguin321 wrote:SOme stupid drama bullshit where 1 guy wanted to remove everything then compromised it down to only removing the xray then it got compromised down to just nerfing xray
You can say his name.

G O O F
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #357734

Just make mechs and aeguns, it's not hard. Those at least have some counterplay the blob can do and don't just instantly kill it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #357738

Kor wrote:
Deitus wrote:
>coders caring
>coders caring
>mfw he was gitbanned despite not having a git account
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #357759

I don't think blob tiles would count as a mob so the xray would still go through them if it stops on hitting mobs only
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #357780

oranges wrote:I don't think blob tiles would count as a mob so the xray would still go through them if it stops on hitting mobs only
if this is true then i have no issue since i can see that xrays as they were would be very op in cuck cult situations where you can just fire from crew spawn in reebe and win, if someone could test this it'd be great
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #357783

nope, looks like it applies to blob tiles as well
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #357796

I've heard blob is performing poorly even as a side antag (probably especially due to RND allergy) and the one time I saw it last week just one charger, just armoury lasers and few civilians was enough to take one down.
We were being hella sloppy too.

Not even sure anti blob RND shit is needed any more.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #358011

Blob is a late game antag now where rnd will already have access to gun printing, mech can be easily built, cargo will have a lot of points, and a fairly larger portion of the crew will be armed + mode antag that can choose to fight with antag benefits against the blob.

Plopping down a blob when crew can print the I Win gun in a half a minute and not 25 does bot help blobs chances for being a fun antag to play against

If this were about roundstart blob I would agree buy as of now the crew starts with a massive advantage against blobs and does not need an I Win gun. Hell, rnd can print 20 experimental welders and crew will be a huge challenge for blob.
Last edited by Yakumo_Chen on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #358065

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Blob is a late game antag now where rnd will already have access to gun printing, mech can be easily built, cargo will have a lot of points, and a fairly larger portion of the crew will be armed + mode antag that can choose to fight with antag benefits against the blob.

Plopping down a blob when crew can print the I Win gun in a half a minute and not 25 does bot help blobs chances for being a fun antag to play against

If this were about roundstart blob I would agree buy as of now the crew starts with a massive advantage against blobs and does not need an I Win gun. Hell, rnd can print 20 experimental welders and crew will be a huge challenge for blob.
thats a good point actually, though it still depends on someone actually doing rnd as well as the crew being willing/able to fight the blob in late game. i still have some heavy reservations but ill keep final judgement until i see a few nu-blob events pan out.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #358213

Remember when blobbernaughts were great and then someone sperged out and made them auto lose you the game because they cost too much and do nothing
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #358222

This is still a pretty huge nerf to the gun's other use, if you cant hit more than one person through walls consider upping the burn damage or the rads from it. It is a late round weapon and really should be powerful. Rads are probably the best bet, as they are basically a long term damage over time effect.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #358230

Incomptinence wrote:I've heard blob is performing poorly even as a side antag (probably especially due to RND allergy) and the one time I saw it last week just one charger, just armoury lasers and few civilians was enough to take one down.
We were being hella sloppy too.

Not even sure anti blob RND shit is needed any more.
Random event blobs typically get less resources than blobround blobs, and this is combined with the research already being done usually, and as a bonus they spawn in shitty locations.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #358390

wasnt it changed so latestart blobs choose their location? couldve sworn i read that in the changelog.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358394

Deitus wrote:wasnt it changed so latestart blobs choose their location? couldve sworn i read that in the changelog.
Supposed to but we've had a lot of cases where that either doesn't work or the ghost was watching something on lavaland and got teleported to a matching coordinate on-station to prevent miningbleb
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #358713

X-rays should just lose 10-20% of their damage for every object they pass through.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #359299

CPTANT wrote:X-rays should just lose 10-20% of their damage for every object they pass through.
I like this solution. I think it's a good one. Yes.
► Show Spoiler
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #359331

That's how x-ray used to work, imo
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #359333

why would you punish people for using the item how it's intended
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #359416

Armhulen wrote:why would you punish people for using the item how it's intended
I know mental damage impairs the ability to do so, but try reading threads before you comment on them.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #359417

D&B wrote:
I know mental damage impairs the ability to do so, but try reading threads before you comment on them.
+2 minutes to permaban for admib disrespect :^)
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #359421

D&B wrote:
Pretty sure he is responding to the people suggesting walls weaken them
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #359434

Kor wrote:
D&B wrote:
Making low-effort posts with vague questions is worthy of mockery.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #359478

Iatots wrote:
Kor wrote:
D&B wrote:
Making low-effort posts with vague questions is worthy of mockery.
it also doesn't contribute to the discussion or clarify the original post
Limey wrote:its too late.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #359591

Dr_bee wrote:This is still a pretty huge nerf to the gun's other use, if you cant hit more than one person through walls consider upping the burn damage or the rads from it. It is a late round weapon and really should be powerful. Rads are probably the best bet, as they are basically a long term damage over time effect.
Shooting through terrain where you can't even be seen is a huge advantage, and given the new rad change, I think this gun is fine damage wise tbh
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #359627

Cobby wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:This is still a pretty huge nerf to the gun's other use, if you cant hit more than one person through walls consider upping the burn damage or the rads from it. It is a late round weapon and really should be powerful. Rads are probably the best bet, as they are basically a long term damage over time effect.
Shooting through terrain where you can't even be seen is a huge advantage, and given the new rad change, I think this gun is fine damage wise tbh
Youll be dead from burn damage from the laser before the rads actually get high enough to do damage with the rad change, But I see your point otherwise.