Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

Post by iamgoofball » #357954

Circuits are going to be replacing R&D pretty soon here with the techwebs merge and decentralization of R&D, and right now, why would I bother making anything complex if I can't save my work?

Things that can happen without the ability to back my work up:
"oh, rev/gang/wizard/cult/clockcult/nuke round just ended 15 minutes in, RIP my design I was halfway through building, no way to back it up before round restarts"
"hey check out this cool logic module I made to use in other configurations, too bad I can't save it and reuse the technology elsewhere"
"here's an example on how to set up locomotion, oh wait, I can't give you the design"

Potential issues:
"people will spam stun bots!"
we nerf the stunner/make it traitor only
"people will spam the same bots over and over again and wont improve their design"
they already do
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Re: Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

Post by feem » #357986

i don't even know what this means so i'm all for it
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #357989

it means you can take circuit designs from other rounds if you have the right text for it and paste it into an integrated circuit machine
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #357994

tl;dr factorio blueprints strings
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #357996

Afaik it was enabled already.
If not, i told goof very clearly what he needed to do for me to enable them.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358001

Why did this need a policy thread?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #358002

More of a feature/code request but it'd be neat if blueprints could be stored in or as part of the library.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #358004

cedarbridge wrote:Why did this need a policy thread?
was told asking for config changes goes to policy
Atlanta-Ned wrote:More of a feature/code request but it'd be neat if blueprints could be stored in or as part of the library.
since they're strings you can already do that
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #358027

Atlanta-Ned wrote:More of a feature/code request but it'd be neat if blueprints could be stored in or as part of the library.
Hell yes, put those display cases to use.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #358031

it's not a code request, this is a configuration option we disabled to ensure the thing made it in to the game.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #358049

I also suggest to turn it on. Becuse the whole point of my work was to make this system useful. Which is impossible, when you can't load design. It just don't worth effort otherwise.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #358157

Well. i asked headmins, and they say they are worried it will turn into M.A.G.N.I. 2.0 if we turn loading on
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #358175

I think this is gonna be MAGNI 2.0 but I turned it on on basil anyway after talking with DGL about his experiences with it
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #358197

Kor wrote:I think this is gonna be MAGNI 2.0 but I turned it on on basil anyway after talking with DGL about his experiences with it
Are we certain it's enabled? I attempted to load a circuit design and got the usual message saying that we were incapable of loading circuit designs because of (IC reason) none too long ago, and presumably after you made that post.
Rarely posts
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #358229

My brain is smooth and I put the line in config.txt instead of game_options.txt it should actually be enabled now
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #358839

iamgoofball wrote:Circuits are going to be replacing R&D pretty soon here with the techwebs merge and decentralization of R&D, and right now, why would I bother making anything complex if I can't save my work?

"oh, rev/gang/wizard/cult/clockcult/nuke round just ended 15 minutes in, RIP my design I was halfway through building, no way to back it up before round restarts"
Literally what happens with every other project which requires more than 10 minutes, why should it be different for circuits?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358842

Grazyn wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Circuits are going to be replacing R&D pretty soon here with the techwebs merge and decentralization of R&D, and right now, why would I bother making anything complex if I can't save my work?

Literally what happens with every other project which requires more than 10 minutes, why should it be different for circuits?
I don't get to back up my autism forts, slime breeding progress, space loot collection or chem fridge content. We don't let viro store virus samples in a database. Why should circuits be different?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #358845

Programming that takes hours may have just been a poor fit for a deathmatch game that lasts 30 minutes
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #358861

Or potentially, the concept of being able to carry over some past work is actually good for the game. It'd make people less angry over bad rounds.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #358863

i gotta be honest the real reason I stopped playing(aside from burning out) was the fact that I already learned everything that's a set prefixed path, so the only entertaining things anymore are gimmicks that are out of the ordinary to produce out of the ordinary rounds, and circuits, because circuits are 100% modular and have loads of shit you can do with them(because its programming)

all the upsides of programming for ss13 without having to deal with PRs, balance, arguing about ethics and borg journalism, etc.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #358864

additionally the whole automating jobs out of existence makes me wonder:

if our jobs are so boring people would rather just automate them and alt-tab, are they really fun jobs?

that's a different thing entirely though so we shouldn't dwell on that for too long
feem

Post by feem » #359096

i've changed my vote to no because this is cool but why is this in this game
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #359101

I support being able to carry projects over from other rounds, rounds are too short to create anything that's not extremely basic circuits; however, with this enabled the possibility for more entertaining and complex projects can be fully realized.

However, I do recognize the potential for abuse with how it currently works. It's all too easy for someone to create the perfect valid-hunting killing machine, and share it with other users, allowing the device to be created every round with ease. It's easier for someone to create said machine on a private server, allowing them to create and refine the machine to perfection with none of the risks in a real round.

However, this system can be improved to make the script be unique to the user's id (to prevent them from sharing a design with other players) and/or to the server (to prevent being able to create and refine a circuit in a private server). That will probably erase any issues that could pop up with just being able to ctr-c ctrl-v circuits.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #359168

I still don't understand why this isn't an actual physical in-game circuitboard you have to store in like the RD's special safe or something to bring to the next round instead of NTSL 2.0
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #359170

Saegrimr wrote:I still don't understand why this isn't an actual physical in-game circuitboard you have to store in like the RD's special safe or something to bring to the next round instead of NTSL 2.0
I'm pretty sure goof just explained why.

Coders like to code but many don't like to play because its not as interesting to them as coding. So if we put coding into SS13 then they have a reason to log in. So they can code. Except they don't like losing their code so they want to be able to database their code and/or copy paste it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #359178

cedarbridge wrote:Except they don't like losing their code so they want to be able to database their code and/or copy paste it.
That's the kind of problem and solution making it an in-game item would solve. Especially if you could only store one and had to choose which one you liked the best.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359182

Saegrimr wrote:Especially if you could only store one and had to choose which one you liked the best.
this is dumb, please read the OP and use your brain to figure out why this is dumb
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #359188

iamgoofball wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Especially if you could only store one and had to choose which one you liked the best.
this is dumb, please read the OP and use your brain to figure out why this is dumb
"Agree with me or you're dumb."

Excellent post Goof. You done the did.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359189

cedarbridge wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
"Agree with me or you're dumb."

Excellent post Goof. You done the did.
you clearly didnt read the OP

how am I going to share a logic module for like, calculating triangles or defining arbitrary polygons if I can only take one thing AND cant share it
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #359190

cedarbridge wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:I still don't understand why this isn't an actual physical in-game circuitboard you have to store in like the RD's special safe or something to bring to the next round instead of NTSL 2.0

Coders like to code but many don't like to play because its not as interesting to them as coding. So if we put coding into SS13 then they have a reason to log in. So they can code. Except they don't like losing their code so they want to be able to database their code and/or copy paste it.
This maybe the stupidest post I have ever read on this forum.

Like are you actually serious or is this a hut post that escaped on it's way home?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #359198

oranges wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

This maybe the stupidest post I have ever read on this forum.

Like are you actually serious or is this a hut post that escaped on it's way home?
Its literally how he described it. Or are you going to elaborate beyond your usual shitstirring?
Selea

Post by Selea » #359230

why is it restricted again?
Selea

Post by Selea » #359234

NTSL failed because of next reasons:
1.server crash. NTSL was messing with fabric of byond too much. Circuit script can't crash server. There aren't until loops. It can assemble circuit.Or not assemble circuit. No other option.
2.lack of potential uses. Telecomms fuckery may be fun. But not fun enought to make possibility of server crash and lags acceptable. There are very limited amount of things,which can be done with strings of messages to get fun result. So they were all covered by one script. Situation could be different, if there was programmable robots,for example.

Yes, why not to construct valid hunting machine? and why not to invent the way to counter it?
feem

Post by feem » #359235

iamgoofball wrote:a logic module for like, calculating triangles or defining arbitrary polygons
man this is gonna be super useful in my 45 minute wizard/ tatorling mulligan round
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359243

feem wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:a logic module for like, calculating triangles or defining arbitrary polygons
man this is gonna be super useful in my 45 minute wizard/ tatorling mulligan round
oh gee rick it's almost like people want to make things that aren't just for FIGHT DA ANTAG

oh wait, by removing any way to keep designs and making it so one design can be saved a round, people will only make incredibly simplistic GET DA ANTAG or HALP DYING circuits.
feem

Post by feem » #359261

I really think you should play a few rounds and see how the playerbase functions
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359262

feem wrote:I really think you should play a few rounds and see how the playerbase functions
1. telling me to "see for myself" without being able to back up this with facts and data is a failure to argue properly as per standard debate parlance

2. have you been reading this thread at all? i have been playing recently since circuits were added

when printing was disabled every person I talked to IN GAME AND IN CHARACTER agreed "yeah no reason to make anything complex" with no way to save your work

then printing got enabled and oh gee now i have a reason to make stuff because I don't lose it forever and have to spend 45 minutes getting carpal tunnel clicking through a shitty html UI mess again
Selea

Post by Selea » #359367

Yeah, goof right. Enabling blueprints you are protecting wrist health of most creative players of the game.
Did you know, that tunnel syndrom needs an operation to be healed?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #359446

why not just use persistence like display cases

you can pass 2 or 4 or whatever designs to the next round (and make them non copy pastable so it's actually meaningful)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #359455

If we can store four designs do you think bits of AI that can be used to develop a botany bot are gonna be saved or three finished killbots and one finished "HELP I GOT STUNNED" circuit
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #359557

Kor wrote:If we can store four designs do you think bits of AI that can be used to develop a botany bot are gonna be saved or three finished killbots and one finished "HELP I GOT STUNNED" circuit
Is that a persistence problem or a "the system itself is so obtuse it requires cross-round cooperation" problem?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359559

cedarbridge wrote:
Kor wrote:If we can store four designs do you think bits of AI that can be used to develop a botany bot are gonna be saved or three finished killbots and one finished "HELP I GOT STUNNED" circuit
Is that a persistence problem or a "the system itself is so obtuse it requires cross-round cooperation" problem?
Answering a question with another question to get out of actually answering is a logical fallacy.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #359560

cedarbridge wrote:
Player problem.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #359561

It's still a system that encourages people to make their stuff on a private server and then copypaste it in game, that or hide in a locker while you program your thing and hope it isn't one of those "sudden round end" game modes.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359562

Grazyn wrote:It's still a system that encourages people to make their stuff on a private server and then copypaste it in game, that or hide in a locker while you program your thing and hope it isn't one of those "sudden round end" game modes.
You've failed to explain to me why people would use private servers to make stuff if they can make it here and back up their progress?
bandit

Post by bandit » #359565

depends on the round. look at library display cases: they sometimes have gibberish or memes and sometimes have people who actually put forth effort. even if someone saves 4 killbots it only takes one person to overwrite it

admin feedback pls
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #359566

bandit wrote:
depends on the round. look at library display cases: they sometimes have gibberish or memes and sometimes have people who actually put forth effort. even if someone saves 4 killbots it only takes one person to overwrite it
The library cases are public access. The device saver likely wouldn't be.
bandit

Post by bandit » #359597

as we all know, moonlighting in science is a real thing

admin feedback pls
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #359608

iamgoofball wrote:
Grazyn wrote:It's still a system that encourages people to make their stuff on a private server and then copypaste it in game, that or hide in a locker while you program your thing and hope it isn't one of those "sudden round end" game modes.
You've failed to explain to me why people would use private servers to make stuff if they can make it here and back up their progress?
I feel like it should be blatantly obvious why people would use a private server over playing on /tg/ to get circuits but I guess I'll take the bait.
  • No interruptions
  • Round doesn't end until you want it to
  • You can tinker and debug without having to worry about saving a half-finished assembly for the next round
  • Don't have to wait for the cloner upgrade to keep working on your half-finished assembly
There's more reasons I could list but those are the main ones.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #359637

iamgoofball wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Answering a question with another question to get out of actually answering is a logical fallacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy
Stop posting.