Assmos

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Re: New atmos

Post by Oldman Robustin » #354361

Bottom post of the previous page:

It happens in short bursts when there's new bomb tech and then people stop touching it for months and months afterward. Cap mining explosions and the new atmos just lost its last reason to exist.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #354371

Its "reason" being crashing the server with no survivors? Because that's what assmos bombs in lavaland are good for right now. Fix the throw lag issue first and then push a revert PR. Until then, you can still stiffen your epenis by blowing them in the testing chamber and broadcasting the tachyon report over common radio.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #354391

So what if instead of NO maxcap on lavaland we just have a maxcap that prevents the server from crashing?

50/100/200 or something.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Post by naltronix » #354425

>removing maxcap on lavaland
please do end yourself
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #354437

naltronix wrote:>removing maxcap on lavaland
please do end yourself
people were locking the server up with bombs doing dev 1k
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #354454

iamgoofball wrote:
naltronix wrote:>removing maxcap on lavaland
please do end yourself
people were locking the server up with bombs doing dev 1k
If the chatter on git is anything to go by there should be away to remove the bombcap again without the huge lag via ore stacking, but I imagine it is harder to code than talk about.

That and nuclear sized bombs are a tad easy to make right now if you know how, the numbers may need tweaking so you cant nuke lavaland with emergency oxygen tank TTVs
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #354503

Oldman Robustin wrote:It happens in short bursts when there's new bomb tech and then people stop touching it for months and months afterward. Cap mining explosions and the new atmos just lost its last reason to exist.
You were the one who did this
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #354515

>repeatedly choke the server to to death with explosions that would last literally 10 minutes
>complain atmos is ruined when you can no longer do that

what is robustins end game
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #354634

Kor wrote:>repeatedly choke the server to to death with explosions that would last literally 10 minutes

crashing this plane
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #354853

Anonmare wrote:Fusion reactions are insanely hot, making them THE best for when you need something hot, and when something is hot - it's very high pressure. You can inject a very small amount of fusion into a cold tritium/plasma tank to get it hot enough to be explosive for TTVs, canister bombs or for use in the turbine for extremely high power generation (and the TEG - if it EVER GETS MADE POSSIBLE TO MAKE). If something's too hot, just make a space loop to cool it down, make a small space loop and fill it up with a high specific heat capacity gas and have it run past a heat exchanger set up facing another heat exchanger with your fusion can.

Also 50,000 celsius is piss easy, just use the can heating method you wusses
Looking back over this. Couldn't you strap a fusion pump setup to one of the old thermal engines like we had for ministation?
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #354899

cedarbridge wrote:
Anonmare wrote:Fusion reactions are insanely hot, making them THE best for when you need something hot, and when something is hot - it's very high pressure. You can inject a very small amount of fusion into a cold tritium/plasma tank to get it hot enough to be explosive for TTVs, canister bombs or for use in the turbine for extremely high power generation (and the TEG - if it EVER GETS MADE POSSIBLE TO MAKE). If something's too hot, just make a space loop to cool it down, make a small space loop and fill it up with a high specific heat capacity gas and have it run past a heat exchanger set up facing another heat exchanger with your fusion can.

Also 50,000 celsius is piss easy, just use the can heating method you wusses
Looking back over this. Couldn't you strap a fusion pump setup to one of the old thermal engines like we had for ministation?
Makes me think that would crash the server somehow. INFINITE POWER!
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #354953

There's probably a ceiling to how much that engine could produce without additional turbines. The biggest issue you'd have is venting the excess so you'd either need coolant loops or an exhaust system.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #355066

cedarbridge wrote:There's probably a ceiling to how much that engine could produce without additional turbines. The biggest issue you'd have is venting the excess so you'd either need coolant loops or an exhaust system.
Speaking of venting exhaust, any chance for heavy duty high capacity pipes or better filters? One of the biggest issues I have is pipe clogs and bottlenecks, filters bottle-necking the pipe system means that reusing gas after a reaction or harvesting gas from the supermatter isnt really possible.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355121

You can bypass filter pressure capacity by putting a volume pump directly after the filter to force them to go to 9000 KPa
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #355203

Anonmare wrote:You can bypass filter pressure capacity by putting a volume pump directly after the filter to force them to go to 9000 KPa
I did not know this, thank you. This will make my atmos recycling projects better, I love using the SM to harvest gases, almost makes me wish we started with limited air and had to make it via SM or other methods.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #355338

Kor wrote:>repeatedly choke the server to to death with explosions that would last literally 10 minutes

Atmos was already ruined, the only reason to play around with Assmos is to create those bombs.

Lavaland is the only place where bomb experimentation matters. For every one round that gets lagged up by a mining megabomb, you get 20 rounds where people are experimenting to see if they can make a bomb WORTHY of the hassle of getting to mining and detonating. I've only seen two rounds with massive Lavaland bombs so even using words like "repeatedly" seems like a big stretch.

I'm just pointing out the reality, not arguing that this is how Atmos SHOULD be. I had a very different vision for Atmos that had nothing to do with bombing Lavaland - but since this is the reality we got, I'm just arguing that capping Lavaland to decrease lag for a fraction of a tiny fraction of rounds would destroy the only novel thing that Atmos and Toxins can do right now.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #355360

I guess you're seeing it rarely because people don't want to be banned, because the last time I checked, crashing the server on purpose is still bannable. You can play the ignorance card only once, if you do it twice it's on you.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the effect of those "megabombs" is really underwhelming. There is functionally no difference between blowing a hundred-tile wide bomb and a thousand-tile bomb, because past the initial big boom, the explosion will inevitably slow down to stripping one layer of rock every 10 or so seconds, and take up to half an hour to fully process. By then, admins would have already restarted the round due to 50-100% time dilation. And even if you don't get banned, only admins would see the explosion report and only people in mining and ghosts would be affected by that, the rest of the server will just hate you for ruining their round. It's really not worth the effort at all.

That's why I say you're better off blowing those nukes in the testing range anyway, at least you get to broadcast your atmos skill to the whole station and earn the respect of your peers instead of their scorn.

Remember, winners don't crash the server.
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #356198

So, new update. You can make Plux now. It forms in the supermatter engine over time, so you can lazily skim off the plux from it if you get an engineer or the CE to set those weird filters prior to the main ones to can plux. Pretty simple. Slower fusion has actually made it so canister-based fusion has achieved higher temperatures than before. I've put up two reports for the bugs I've found so far, and they're the rather obvious ones. Onto more major news.

I'VE STUMBLED ACROSS EASIER STIMULUM FORMATION BY ACCIDENT

BZ fixation is perhaps the most difficult part of the pre-mixing, pre-heating phase of stimulum formation, due to the fact you need to set up the space loop from scratch. Made even more daunting is the fact that you need to cool nitryl the same way, or else the lobsided heats will prevent easy mixing. So me, trying to speed BZ fixation, dumped a ton of plasma in. Then a bit of tritium. Then a bit more. Then a bit more again. Then I had almost 50/50 plasma and tritium, but the volume pump was backed up, so I maxed out the pump dumping the stuff into the space cooling loop, and suddenly the thing started to glow a bright blue.

It usually glows blue when it gets really, really hot, like "I accidentally did a fusion in there" hot.

So, mildly dismayed, I go to scan it to see the damages done, and I get the following:
Spoiler:
This, when filtered out, made about 2.5 canisters of stimulum at -200 C. This wasn't all that was produced, either, I left most of it in the loop and the canisters attached to it.

Coupled with Plux, you get canisters like this, which can be set to 3 kPa and still have enough oxygen for one to breath (it should be warmer though, this canister would cause burn damage due to how cold it is).
Spoiler:
Rarely posts
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #357048

You lost me.

You ran a space loop with 50/50 Tritium/Plasma, it went to fusion temps, but by the end of the reaction all you had was a shitload of Stimulum?

Stimulum requires really precise ratios to form so I'm really not seeing how you "accidentally" made Stimulum here.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #357077

The energy produced by the BZ formation reaction (which is exothermic) inside the loop caused the tritium/plasma mixture to undergo fusion, and the amount of BZ produced was enough to react with the waste nitryl from fusion (along with tritium and plasma) and it made stimulum. It happened to me twice while I was working a BZ farm using a direct tritium feed into a space loop, I had a big plasma tank (like the red stationary one in the turbine) linked to pump a little plasma in in the loop to keep the BZ reaction going, and when I turned the plasma pump to max, the pipes went blue and after a few seconds my BZ canister was full of 99% fusion temperature stimulum along with some waste. It was extremely hot, much more than your regular fusion (a bit more than ^10), but the pressure was so high that when I cooled it down with an upgraded freezer I was still able to filter out a few canisters of warm/room temp pure stimulum.

I tried to replicate this accident a couple times with no success yet, I was only able to achieve "cold" fusion again (as in, fusion with no outside heat but the presence of BZ and high pressure room temp plasma with cold tritium) but no stimulum formed.

This is the round of the last "accident", but I don't really know if it stored any valuable data
https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/bas ... und-78641/
Darkgenerallord
Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #357153

I can reliably make 99.7% pure stimulum with this method, though it takes a while to cool, and the BZ ratio has to be pretty precise or it duds.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357167

Do any of these new gasses interact with the SM at all?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #357220

TribeOfBeavers wrote:Do any of these new gasses interact with the SM at all?
Not yet.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #357233

Anonmare wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:Do any of these new gasses interact with the SM at all?
Not yet.
Well the one that prevents gas reactions kinda does considering it can make the gasses STUPIDLY HOT and cause a delam if added to the mix.
CPTANT

Re: Assmos

Post by CPTANT » #361229

So it seems atmos has now surpassed toxins as the most practical way of building maxcap bombs.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #361284

CPTANT wrote:So it seems atmos has now surpassed toxins as the most practical way of building maxcap bombs.
I wouldn't say practical, but if you're competent, you can surpass toxins in production due to not being held back by TTV but toxins will have you beat in speed and don't need to do much in the way of fucking about to blow a hole the size of your mom's anus in the station's hull
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #361305

Anonmare wrote:
CPTANT wrote:So it seems atmos has now surpassed toxins as the most practical way of building maxcap bombs.
I wouldn't say practical, but if you're competent, you can surpass toxins in production due to not being held back by TTV but toxins will have you beat in speed and don't need to do much in the way of fucking about to blow a hole the size of your mom's anus in the station's hull
I just raised the max cap to 10,20,40 for someone on a TC trade. Within eight minutes, they had a canister bomb that blew a huge hole in medical. It didn't kill them either, ending with four fuckhuge holes in the station and maybe more if he hadn't been killed.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #361344

>i let someone tc trade to fuck with bomb caps

you made an error
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #361410

Qbopper wrote:>i let someone tc trade to fuck with bomb caps

you made an error
A mistake every admin makes at one point or another.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #361412

The biggest problem is that bomb lag (worst change ever) lets people walk away from the bombs they detonate. Normally opening a canister bomb would be a guaranteed suicide - but thanks to the magic of slow ass bomb processing you can detonate a 10/20/40 right next to you and walk away.

Anyway it seems like the fusion "nerf" did nothing but at the same time assmos doesn't really serve a practical purpose. I'm close to incorporating it into Techwebs but it'll take a lot of work.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #361459

Oldman Robustin wrote:The biggest problem is that bomb lag (worst change ever) lets people walk away from the bombs they detonate. Normally opening a canister bomb would be a guaranteed suicide - but thanks to the magic of slow ass bomb processing you can detonate a 10/20/40 right next to you and walk away.

Anyway it seems like the fusion "nerf" did nothing but at the same time assmos doesn't really serve a practical purpose. I'm close to incorporating it into Techwebs but it'll take a lot of work.
That problem could be solved by making the first 7x7 or other arbitrary box of the explosion process instantly, it would cause a lag spike but it might be worth it for game balance, as you couldnt outrun the initial fireball but the shockwave would still be slow processed.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #361637

or just disable the person from moving a tick when opening a valve.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #361672

Cobby wrote:or just disable the person from moving a tick when opening a valve.
It would be less lag inducing but it would also mean that the bombs could still be outrun by everyone in the area. I wanted to keep suicide bombing as a viable tactic, but I guess the fact hey dont see it coming anyway is enough to keep it viable.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #361814

I always favored just stunning everyone in the "light explosion" radius and maybe removing the knockout effect. Maybe give the explosion a "shockwave" visual corresponding to its size.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #368903

So why was fusion removed?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #368906

It was crashing the server, I believe.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #368907

CPTANT wrote:So why was fusion removed?
You could get INFINATE radiation levels. If someone opened the canister or it burst it would kill everyone on the station instantly in an every widening radius until the server crashes.

Overall it is hilarious to see once. ONCE.