Dangerous shuttle purchases as non-antag.

Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Dangerous shuttle purchases as non-antag.

Post by Gouty » #364228

Meme shuttles are cool. But if you buy the hyperfractal gigashuttle, or the arena, or the asteroid, or that one that is full of plasma stuff (that might have just been an adminmeme though) people are going to die. Should you be allowed to do it as a non-antag? Discuss
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Dangerous shuttle purchases as non-antag.

Post by Nabski » #364232

I think they're hilarious, so yes. It's not like you have no warning about it, and you can always pussy out and take a pod.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #364236

I'd say the captain should be able to buy dangerous meme shuttles as long as its not an every round thing, but if your not an antag and you buy a meme shuttle that you could reasonably expect to cause deaths and then people die I see no reason to treat it differently from SM sabotage or releasing plasma or [insert other deliberate creation of death trap here].
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #364240

Remember that pods are available and it's extremely rare for every pod to be filled.
Meme shuttles exist to provide some minor conflict or survival, and provide interaction between the captain and the crew.
All is good as is.
I play Boris Pepper.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #364257

Bluespace wrote:Meme shuttles exist to provide some minor conflict or survival, and provide interaction between the captain and the crew.
All is good as is.
Most bad shuttle purchases aren't captains interacting with the crew, they are greyshirts stealing all access and ordering the shuttle in an attempt to annoy sec and command so they can feel cool by evading or outrobusting them.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #364270

I still believe the very deadly ones should be high priced shuttles, as I'd prefer "paying to 'grief' " over "getting paid to 'grief' ".
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #364284

Bluespace wrote:Remember that pods are available and it's extremely rare for every pod to be filled.
Meme shuttles exist to provide some minor conflict or survival, and provide interaction between the captain and the crew.
All is good as is.
Nabski wrote:I think they're hilarious, so yes. It's not like you have no warning about it, and you can always pussy out and take a pod.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #364312

i still find it funny that people see the asteroid as game-breakingly deadly. if you dont have the presence of mind to think to yourself "huh i bet this huge grid of blue circles that usually denote a shuttle arrival are nothing" for a full ten seconds (not counting the time it actually takes to spawn in), that is frankly a massive case of the gitguds.

that said, some of the other shuttles like the supermatter shuttle are a bit much even in my opinion.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #364320

The previous ruling on this was that deadly meme shuttles on the odd occasion are fine. Buying the asteroid every round is probably when its time to bwoink.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #364338

what if 2 shuttles
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Post by Gouty » #364348

Bluespace wrote:Remember that pods are available
Except Omega Station
PKPenguin321 wrote:what if 2 shuttles
Yes pleeese
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #364351

Arianya wrote:The previous ruling on this was that deadly meme shuttles on the odd occasion are fine. Buying the asteroid every round is probably when its time to bwoink.
Buying the asteroid every round

w-who would do that h-haha
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #364367

My policy has always been if it has been called more than twice in a row, they are asked to stop. Usually, I'll tell them the round before to stop, never leave a note for it unless it becomes a habit. It's funny when it happens, though (again) things get less funny if they happen each round.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #364375

It should be fine as long as people don't run it into the ground. Having the same shuttle called every round for five hours straight kills the point of something that is different and fun.
Freedom
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #364381

Adapt.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #364475

i believe this should be allowed as long as they don't spam "wooden box" for 5 hours on end.
i also believe that if they use a bad shuttle they (help or directly) open themselves up to conflict and retaliation from the crew, who doesn't want to be on a wooden box to blow the fuck up.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #364478

I had a problem with this long ago before the blue bubbles got added, and even afterwards its hard to spot them against the light grey tile floors.

The real problem here, as with anything remotely fun on this game:
TehSteveo wrote:It should be fine as long as people don't run it into the ground.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #364501

>give people the option to freely buy a shuttle
>can't freely buy a shuttle

Either true freedom to buy whatever as many times as you want or make it admin approval like station names you fucking commies.

Or here's an idea: code it so you can't buy the same shuttle as the previous round
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #364507

Or just don't buy asteroid with engines every round.

Not all player issues have to be a code issue.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #364596

Seeding a random list of shuttle options every round to choose from would be pretty slick

like one shit-tier shuttle, a couple of mid-range, a couple of premium, and a luxury
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #364617

Why not restrict the dangerous shuttles to an emag list

>inb4 >emag bloat
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #364618

>headmin says this is literally fine just take pods you pussies

>2 admins waltz in and say YEAH IMA BWOINK PEOPLE ANYWAYS

come on
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #364627

Gouty wrote:or that one that is full of plasma stuff (that might have just been an adminmeme though)
It's not an admeme, it's my Disco Inferno shuttle.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/33230
Also robustin was right for once.

Also, what do you consider dangerous? I'd consider Oh Hi Daniel and Asteroid dangerous too. Those always lead to at least one death that wouldn't happen otherwise.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #364652

Asteoroid is fine if you don't dodge it it your fault
Wooden box is the worst there's no way to dodge a bomb on there no matter how small unless it's a low effort 50/50.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #364674

>Arguing that dangerous shuttles shouldn't be buyable as a nonantag.

>Admins still bwoink people over asking for nuke codes multiple rounds in a row

Quite simply, it's only a problem when spammed, and that's the point when an admin steps in. We don't need to neuter ANOTHER part of the game because one shuttle is a little easier to bomb than the other.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #364685

honestly the meteor shuttle is more beneficial than harmful and i genuinely think outside of crushing retards it trumps all other shuttles thanks to its size, but Mark and the stv are shit because a shitty bomb can kill everyone on those shuttles instantly
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #364701

Like 70% of all things policy & humour, its only shit when it's overdone
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #365022

I would say it's entirely fine up to a point.

When it actually becomes noticeable that someone is buying the same crappy shuttle again and again then it's gone too far and is spam they should get a quick warning bwoink.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #365066

Arianya wrote:The previous ruling on this was that deadly meme shuttles on the odd occasion are fine. Buying the asteroid every round is probably when its time to bwoink.

Glad we get to have this thread again for the exact same result.

Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #367411

kevinz000 wrote:Asteoroid is fine if you don't dodge it it your fault
Wooden box is the worst there's no way to dodge a bomb on there no matter how small unless it's a low effort 50/50.
"Your fault"
Unless of course botany has filled the exit from escape with banana peels. Which i have seen numerous times.
Cobby wrote:I still believe the very deadly ones should be high priced shuttles, as I'd prefer "paying to 'grief' " over "getting paid to 'grief' ".
This. Seriously. I asked this before, and Kor's excuse was that "well it endangers the crew so you would never buy it normally otherwise." Which is complete bs honestly.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #367415

Why would the admins who consider it griefing to buy Shuttle A suddenly consider it good behavior if Shuttle A functioned the exact same but also bankrupted cargo

If you bring something less than ideal to the station there should be some kind of tradeoff bonus for doing so (and vice versa)
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #367423

Kor wrote:Why would the admins who consider it griefing to buy Shuttle A suddenly consider it good behavior if Shuttle A functioned the exact same but also bankrupted cargo

If you bring something less than ideal to the station there should be some kind of tradeoff bonus for doing so (and vice versa)
I don't consider it good behavior but it wouldn't be right for me to ban for it when the people who die are the ones okay with it and the common mentality is that it's okay to do as a nonantag nonconsecutively.I don't like the shuttles to begin with when they're just there for lolgrief, it's just that now it's

1) uncommon enough to not be a nuisance which seems to be the default here AND now admins are pretty much out of the equation because the mechanics enforce the policy (a good thing imo).
2) not a benefit to anyone now that cargo doesn't get credits, meaning you're open to retaliation since you don't have any excuse.

Also you can "bank" the money by placing it in stock. If you don't want to lose it to shitler captains greys being greys someone totally on accident confirming the death shuttle purchase, invest today!

Just take a look at the luxury shuttle. It's basically pay to grief cargo doubly (buying the shuttle along with taking money from vault to get in) along with paying to grief the crew (the poor mans section is a deathtrap worse than oh hi daniel). 0 Issues with it being spammed and 0 issues with people griping about how cargo is now fugged, no?

Let's be clear, we (I) are not encouraging the shuttles to be priced so they may be obtained roundstart and can just lolnope cargo's basic starting points. I am expecting them to be on par with luxury and arena so they take a while to get if gotten at all.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #367443

tbh smaller shuttles are a bigger issue than dangerous ones
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #367448

I like buying the asteroid shuttle because it's basically sanctioned griefing :^)
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #367449

Calibraptor wrote:I like buying the asteroid shuttle because it's basically sanctioned griefing :^)
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #367457

@cobby, there's indeed a reason why I priced the disco inferno shuttle as much as the arena and luxury shuttle.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #367481

captains that buy these shuttles are valid and im gonna laugh at them if they ahelp for being killed. if youre gonna do shitty things you better be robust enough to back it up.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367549

BeeSting12 wrote:captains that buy these shuttles are valid and im gonna laugh at them if they ahelp for being killed. if youre gonna do shitty things you better be robust enough to back it up.
i didn't know you were a headmin
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #367560

Qbopper wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:captains that buy these shuttles are valid and im gonna laugh at them if they ahelp for being killed. if youre gonna do shitty things you better be robust enough to back it up.
i didn't know you were a headmin
ive seen headmins rule on that before

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 30#p313973
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367576

i was mostly shitposting
Limey wrote:its too late.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #367665

Qbopper wrote:i was mostly shitposting
An insight into Qboppers life
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #367670

I joked that some of these shuttles were flying policy threads.

On one hand I support Captain having discretion to do stupid dangerous shit and let ~emergent RP~ take care of it. Or alternatively, don't ride the death shuttles if you don't want to die. They invented pods for a reason.

On the other hand we have all sorts of decisions punishing captains for doing dangerous shit. My last ban was upheld because even my bounty for lizard/cat tails COULD have (but didn't) result in people dying/having their round ruined.

Yet here we are where Captains are totally allowed to order shuttles that have a 99.999% of killing innocents.

There needs to be a guiding principle here because its cases like this that show how our policy is an incoherent patchwork for the harder cases.

Also @shitty tradeoff logic:

Tradeoffs are only meaningful is the person who benefits has to pay a meaningful price. No captain has ever cared about Cargo unless someone emagged the console or its a revolution. Hell, captains are more likely to benefit if a broke-ass cargo isn't cracking open weapon crates. The only thing high prices do is keep the dumbass captains who dont know about tech disks from ordering the high-end grief and settling for basic-grief packages like Oh, Hi Daniel. That's hardly a nuanced tradeoff that keeps grief shuttles in line.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #367672

the Oh, Hi Daniel did nothing wrong >:(
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #367676

@Robustin the trade off is now Cargo is pissed at you so enjoy getting valided at the earliest convenience 8-)
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #367741

Doesn't pubby station lack pods?
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #367756

ordering the asteroid should not give you money
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #367759

Cobby wrote:@Robustin the trade off is now Cargo is pissed at you so enjoy getting valided at the earliest convenience 8-)
And would you ban him if he killed the mutineers?

I should have just made them automated and random to avoid all this I dont know why one of the most stressful and understaffed roles getting to decide the round end twist is so unpalatable to some admins

@Robustin I pretty regularly see people buy the asteroid shuttle as soon as the war declaration comes in, at least some people are using it as intended
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #367764

No because he owns the station, including cargo and shuttle purchases. He’s within his right to do that, you’re within your right to fight back if you’re inclined, and he’s within his right to defend himself should you choose that.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #368232

Cobby wrote:No because he owns the station, including cargo and shuttle purchases.
Actually no he's in control of the station. NanoTrasen own it. Do you know the difference between ownership and control?

I'm gonna need to know your age sorry.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #368273

The asteroid isn't the biggest issue, you can step out of the way easily. The big issues are the hyperfractal and inferno shuttles, and to a lesser extent the incredibly small ones that can be easily wiped clean by one bomb.

Shuttles are also most definitely not "a reward for the captain", it's a "reward" for whoever steals all access and sneaks onto the bridge or captains office, then immediately fucks off.

Making the captain valid doesn't count as fair play for ordering a dangerous shuttle because you're basically reenacting a reverse copy of the "kill Ian so that the HoP tries to attack you so you can kill him" situation we hated so much, except the person baiting the fight has access to all the guns on the station, a very dangerous sword, and the entirety of security and command under him. Not only do you need to actually kill the captain (no small task), you need to make sure that everyone from command and security is either onboard or doesn't care, or you're gonna get yourself killed.

And lastly, letting the captain/whoever else giggle to themselves because they ordered a shuttle that can/will get people killed without getting in trouble is the lamest kind of reward that goes against everything we expect from players in the rules. You literally cannot argue that this doesn't stick out from normal expectations of the rules.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.