Asteroidstation! [aka Rockbase aka TGstation 3]

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Asteroidstation! [aka Rockbase aka TGstation 3]

Post by Hibbles » #36256

Erro started it seventeen billion years ago, Jordie unfucked it, and I helped him make a map that technically functioned. Then time moved on. Then allura very helpfully unfucked it again, and now it's modernized for our codebase and ready to rock and roll.

Current Edition Also avaliable on Github
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/169 ... ationv7.7z

Full Map
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/169 ... tation.png

Features of the Map
A Nanotrasen facility embedded into a gigantic asteroid!
A central Singularity engine as the beating heart of the station.
Prison labor rather than a permabrig, to put those crooks to use.
Open space in abundance, supports a large station population.
AI back on the station, in a well-defended core near the bridge.
Maintenance with random stuff thrown in to re-purpose or use.

Jordie's Revision log

Current Update Log Hijacked by Jordie, see above
hugestation3.0.0d - Starting point for the current map. Updated to work with modern code.
hugestation3.0.0e - Escape shuttle changed to r-glass sandwiches. Chair added near Sec Escape airlock for prisoner detention. Gravgen moved near EVA. Tech Storage internal windows added. Dorms airlocks added. More door examine descriptions added. Lights and floors touched up. Out-of-place APCs fixed.

Feedback, design advice, and anything else is welcomed.
Last edited by Jordie0608 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: update
RIP
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Re: Asteroidstation! [aka Rockbase aka TGstation 3]

Post by Jordie0608 » #36257

But now I'll have to finally get around to updating this with all the ideas I've had when I have so many other things to procrastinate making because I can't claim I'm waiting until I get around to making it compile. Thanks Hibbles

RIP everything I was planning to code for the next month.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #36259

Still a good map, glad some of my feedback got in when I was talking to Allura.

Some minor notes I'll make.
  • I really like how the entire Asteroid is fully mapped out, so you can dig through to other Z-Levels.
  • 4 Lasers and 4 Eguns in the Armoury, worth mentioning
  • CMO has a Medical Hardsuit, I support this.
  • Really, REALLY, hate all the windows, I prefer the single pane versions though I do know replacing them would take forever.
  • I actually like how atmospherics is done, same with the wires.
  • Tech Storage seems a bit unsecure
  • All those public access medical supplies in the Medbay will disappear very fast.
  • Departmental Security works very well considering it was built into the department instead of being tacked on. Has great vision of the department.
  • Pretty bad and unsecure vault we have
  • Why the fuck is there a gun in maintenance?
  • I like the makeshift "Emergency Response Team" equipment on centcom
  • The Nuke Ops base will need to be brought up to code with the latest Ops changes.
Its a good map, it will need some tender care to get up to scratch but overall it seems to work well.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #36297

- Is there some way to connect robotics to R&D?

- The arrivals security station could be re-worked to have the desk need to be passed by new arrivals (right now it's off to the side instead, I know this "feature" is never used but it does add nice atmosphere when the arrivals desk actually could potentially do it's job)

- What's up with disposals? Does the garbage just pile up now? A mass driver would be easy enough to add

- While EVA is better accessed by security, it could really use an extra bit of protection

- Chaplain doesn't have a mass driver

- The library could use some additional windows

- The two dorms areas (north and south of the bar/kitchen/hydro) ought to have airlocks (this is because the entire area is rife for yakkity-sax-ing from security, while people will certainly still use the dorm areas as short cuts, the added airlocks at least will give pursuers hints where abouts their target is running)

- While I get the intention of having the bar/restaurant be so open, it will make security's life infinitely more difficult every time "FIGHT IN THE BAR!" is yelled out. Also, if you were thinking of what the station would look like from the 3D perspective of a crewman, the bar is basically one huge ass room so I'd suggest adding in walls (to kinda act like pillars) at the very least if no one wants to enclose the bar more where I've put red X's: http://i.imgur.com/R2WgJ62.png

EDIT: Added a reasoning for my dorms area airlocks suggestion
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36337

I dunno, the objective was to get Robotics into its own little corner, as it was in say, the assembly line a while back. We could probably work out some kind of delivery system back and forth, or at least a way for Roboticists to access the system. Not a bad idea regarding Arrivals, I've thought it would be cool to have a way to like, close shutters to deny new entrants to the station and make them loiter in the lobby/break in and overrun security.

Disposals has a grinder that takes care of any trash. As a note, it also takes care of people, making getting dunked a more dire situation now; default grinders have safety protocols to prevent it, but a person will just go right into this one if they touch it. A lot of security concerns are from the tile-windows, which are both more ugly IMO and less safe. We used them just kinda to be different and see how it went, but I am tempted to put in the effort to make them r-glass grille sandwiches like other maps have.

Giving the Chaplain a mass driver would require a huge change in the design, I'm cool with him having to cremate. Most people don't want to be buried, anyhow; people who can be saved get back into the ground, braindeads get shoved into the morgue or whatever. People looking to be launched to adventures in space can just use nearby Escape.

Where would the library windows be put?

I kind of like the more open feel of the civilian areas, tbh. I know it'll be tougher on security, but... it's got a certain style to it? I definitely understand what you're saying though; when I'm on a chase, usually my only clue is open airlocks. The gun in maint can be removed but it's part of the fat loots that can spice up the ground (for good or bad). Same reason there's certain other things in maint that could throw off the balance.
RIP
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #36338

My only concern therein is that its a free, lethal, gun that undoubtedly is going to be very popular to nab and its not that hard to get.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #36343

there's some changes i want to make to science tbh, so if you dont mind hbl i can do them
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36363

The first and last things are understandable but IMO it comes down to personal taste, it can be interesting with them away. Atmos Techs barely act like part of Engineering anyhow, and Robotics used to be an island unto itself.

I agree Tech Storage is a little unsafe, a window from the Sec guard post and surrounding it with R-walls would probably help that. Given it's in a more remote location, the tougher walls seem warranted. And the HoP has quarters, like all of the other Heads. In fact, they spawn in there rather than in their work offices. Personally, the first time I see Heads do is check in with each other on the radio, so that just makes it a personal thing.

Go for it allura, and send me like images of the new version, what sort of changes do you mean?

EDIT: Regarding the gun, it can be removed easily, I don't mind, but we need stuff to put in maint. Or, like, a random-spawner like for costumes that puts random dangerous loot in random areas so it's not just 'race for the gun'.
RIP
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #36395

Could you possibly upload it as a file rather then a wall of text?

or am I just doing something wrong...
Spoiler:
no idea how to resize it..
っぽい
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #36404

That's the map file, just do "Save as".
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #36413

Swap out every window with the version we already use.

I'll play it.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36477

Map updated and the full preview image has been changed to reflect that!
hugestation3.0.0e - Escape shuttle changed to r-glass sandwiches. Chair added near Sec Escape airlock for prisoner detention. Gravgen moved near EVA. Tech Storage internal windows added. Dorms airlocks added. More door examine descriptions added. Lights and floors touched up. Out-of-place APCs fixed.
Fine-tuning details (hopefully) for the upcoming run on Badger and, if it works, Sibyl.
RIP
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #36510

OH YEAHHH, WHEN CAN WE RUN THIS SHIT ON SYBIL?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #36581

HBL:

Two windows on either side of the airlock for the library would work I think, it also helps it's a glass airlock of course. Though I wouldn't want more, I like that the library has an area that's quite secluded.

And as I said, I get the intention and for the open civilian area, but it really is going to make security's life a lot harder. The addition of doors for the dorms areas really helps, but I think if we start running this on badger and then sybil if all goes well, there will be some complaints about how open the bar is.

All your other points I agree with, so I take back my comments. Although I just noticed there's no door between the kitchen/bar. I know this isn't crazy necessary but it allows some cooperation between the bartender and chef (also allows one person to do both jobs in some cases).

EDIT: Something I just noticed, the position of the lawyer's office doesn't allow them to see if someone is being taken into custody. The benefit of the lawyer's office position in boxstation is that they can (unless someone is taken through maintenance) see whenever someone is being taken to the brig through their office window. Is there any issue with putting it on the other side of the hallway (inside the singulo hole more or less) so they can see the brig entrance?
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36590

Putting windows at the doors seems like it's really easy to do, sure. And the windoor-less desk provides ingress and egress but I'll probably add an actual proper door between the Bar and the Kitchen, sure.

As for the Lawyer's office, that wouldn't be a terribly big change either, although moving rooms always messes with atmos and power lines (which are literally the worst things ever invented by a human) it would also give the Lawyer a nice view of space, and increase his risk of being eaten by the Singularity, so it seems like everybody would win.
RIP
allura

Post by allura » #36612

lawyer on meta can't see new prisoners and it doesn't present a problem at all. if the lawyer is anywhere OTHER than the brig (ie his own office) then he's shit
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #36619

I lack words for atmos. I just can't right now. I will end up spending the better part of the night improving this. Also lacking the transit tube dispense.

Spoiler:
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #36621

I think I should have said that while I generally like how atmo is done for the station, atmospherics itself is just trying to live up to the idea of being a "orgy of pipes".
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #36662

Other than the things that need to be tweaked and fixed, this map is super exciting in it's current form and I cannot wait for it to become Sybil's primary map in the future.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #36675

QuartzCrystal wrote: Sybil's primary map in the future.
lolno
私は完璧
allura

Post by allura » #36684

the map is very, very broken. while it's technically functioning on a station-level, the z levels are unable to support movement between parts of the asteroid. the map as an idea is completely broken.
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36687

Weren't the z-levels already fucked or has that already been resolved? And if so, I can't believe it would be difficult at all to make each z-level actually connect rather than randomize. Part of the reason, without knowing code stuff, why I think that, is because it was done that way in the past. And with erro gone, there is at least like, some possibility? of changing how space works without instant wall nope never?
RIP
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #36701

Violaceus wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote: Sybil's primary map in the future.
lolno
lolwhy

The Sibyl playerbase? a lot of them avoid the other server(s) primarily because of map, they prefer Box, and I very much doubt that'll change any time soon.
私は完璧
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #36703

I don't like how the bar/kitchen is setup. Too formal, slightly big, and it's in the open.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #36732

Stop. We've tried to change the map. Just stop.

Put it on basil. But don't change box. Box is /tg/, box is life.

Do what metacide did. Put it on /tg/2, the players will come to try out the new map and give feedback on it to continue the development.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #36746

That's why we have a second server. For something fresher and new. To test new things on.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #36765

paprika wrote:That's why we have a second server. For something fresher and new. To test new things on.
So even when people say they enjoy having more space in their 80+ rounds we wont switch it over?
allura

Post by allura » #36846

weve tried bigger maps including rockbase, and people do not give one fuck about if the map is big or not. they prefer box.
regardless of that, rockbase is not the kind of map i would like to see ran on sybil indefinitely. it's actually not even as big as metastation and some places are fuckin ESPECIALLY small, like engineering and security.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #36858

Seems like every dedicated /tg/ mapper is dropping of the face of the planet, Allure seems to have dropped /tg/ map development for the foreseeable future. He did ask me to take over and help maintain the station, so that does technically make me a de-facto Asteroidstation mapper now.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #36890

Steelpoint wrote:Seems like every dedicated /tg/ mapper is dropping of the face of the planet, Allure seems to have dropped /tg/ map development for the foreseeable future. He did ask me to take over and help maintain the station, so that does technically make me a de-facto Asteroidstation mapper now.
Well you're welcome to do what you want with it but meanwhile I've already picked up work on what I quasi-started so long ago sometime last year. And seeing how unproductive collaborative mapping was last time I'm not inclined to try that again.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #36900

Its less that and more that if there is more than one person doing work on the map, it tends to screw it up for the other people. Since merge conflicts and all that.

I intend to mainly replace the mess that is the full pane windows with single pane windows, once you've got your changes done. Since it would be easier on all of us.
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #36976

I wouldn't mind seeing this become a collaboration; help from any source is welcome, in fact, this map is as collaborative as the 'private project' model gets short of the design-by-committee thing Box has going on. Point is, if you guys want to improve the map, you have my blessing. I'll hold off on major changes until the Atmos and then the windows have been changed. Maybe we could even have a full-tile window version for people who want that instead, at least at first. Most people seem to prefer the grille sandiches though, myself included.

As to map preferences, I dunno if liking one map or the other makes you either Hitler or a retard, and I'm also super-unconvinced of any conclusion you draw about a map or its quality or popularity... based on server pops. There are so many other factors. I need to ask SoS to make an in-game poll about it, that's the closest we could come to knowing.
RIP
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #37074

HBL removing posts in their own thread this proves all the charges against them

Please keep the thread on-track about like, Rockbase things like feedback, development, even comparing it to other maps or whatever, but not just server wars and stuff.
RIP
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37075

As much as I love theorycrafting, the only real way we can get solid feedback on how the map flows is if its put on a server. As I said, I'll wait for Jordie to do what he is doing before I do my window changes.

However, I'm not a fan of the current Gulag option. Gives too much freedom to the prisoners.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #37097

Z level size changing fun.

Before

After

Mining asteroid for comparison

I feel like we missed the chance to call this the red potato station.
Forum Admin
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #37961

Space is a cube now, so theoretically that wouldn't be a problem any more
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #38063

First update complete, still plenty of stuff to do but this revision is functional enough to run.

Download is on OP.

See here or the OP for an abridged list of changes.
Forum Admin
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #39354

Very nice work, Jordie. If I happen to vanish or whatever, feel free to take charge of the map however you see fit.
RIP
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #39427

Hibbles wrote:If I happen to vanish
you dont know about my secret plan
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41491

Can we get an update on this?

What are the chances of seeing this up on either of the servers any time soon to actually play?
Cham

Post by Cham » #41492

Really can't wait to sink my teeth into this map. Probably one of the most original layouts we've been offered up.
Hibbles

Post by Hibbles » #41496

It's entirely up to SoS and what he feels like doing, of course. I could bother him about it but I don't know if that will actually affect the chances of it ever happening. He's a busy guy.
RIP
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41497

Probably best left for after all the headmins are chosen and installed into office.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #43438

QuartzCrystal wrote:Can we get an update on this?
Been rather busy recently leading to lack of time to update until now; v4 of the map has been added to the OP.
Forum Admin
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #43446

I am more than up for some change. Having mining actually on the station z-level could mean that it gets done more often.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #44178

I like this layout, I like it a LOT, but there are a couple things I can think of that are forseeable issues:

No solars.

Malf AI will be godmode, because you can't go in from space, you have to mine/bomb in and THEN go through the Rwalls.

Evidence room looks really weak.

Maybe put in a sec mini-office/entry desk in place of one of the cells adjacent to the entryway to brig, kindof like how sybil has it.

I like how each head has their own little bedroom. Although captain's office is now one of the most secure spots on the station.

Also, you have a couple of emitters which don't point at anything, and having the collectors on the far side of LORD SINGULOTH is a recipe for disaster. I like it.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #44599

I'm gonna direct SoS to this thread when I get some time later tonight, see if he has any thoughts on implementing this on Sybil or Basil.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #44679

v5 is done featuring less runtiming pipes.
iyaerP wrote:No solars.
Intentional, the asteroid is large enough that to block the sun for 3/4 of it's orbit meaning solars are unable to power the station by themselves; you can always still build them during the round if you want.
iyaerP wrote:Malf AI will be godmode, because you can't go in from space, you have to mine/bomb in and THEN go through the Rwalls.
From what I remember of the first playtest malf difficulty for the crew is somewhere between when Box's core was in the center and the current satellite version. It takes a while to mine through to the core but the AI won't notice you doing so. There's also only one layer of r-walls now, the map image is just outdated.
iyaerP wrote:Evidence room looks really weak.
Intentional, brig has no points of sneaky egress otherwise.
iyaerP wrote:Maybe put in a sec mini-office/entry desk in place of one of the cells adjacent to the entryway to brig, kindof like how sybil has it.
I've never really seen the point behind that room but if it's wanted it'd be easy to add.
iyaerP wrote:I like how each head has their own little bedroom. Although captain's office is now one of the most secure spots on the station.
v5 changed bridge maintenance so it's easier to access the captain's office from maintenance.
iyaerP wrote:Also, you have a couple of emitters which don't point at anything, and having the collectors on the far side of LORD SINGULOTH is a recipe for disaster. I like it.
Intentional, the containment field requires a small amount of re-arrangement for it to be assembled. When the singulo is on reaching the collectors is either a dangerous path across the engine room or a longer safe path around the outside.
Forum Admin
ErikHanson

Post by ErikHanson » #44682

10/10 would play on this
-- Administrator private message --
Admin PM from-Ikarrus: The fuck did you do to the arcade
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #44709

Jordie0608 wrote:
iyaerP wrote:Maybe put in a sec mini-office/entry desk in place of one of the cells adjacent to the entryway to brig, kindof like how sybil has it.
I've never really seen the point behind that room but if it's wanted it'd be easy to add.
The entry desk is actually pretty damn useful. I think we need to add a security camera monitor console to it, however.
:^)