Little things you learned that are game changing

General SS13 Chat
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Re: Little things you learned that are game changing

Post by DiamondSentinel » #344211

Bottom post of the previous page:

Anonmare wrote:Asimov can have its "You must not, through action or inaction, allow [YOUR TEXT HERE] to come to harm." as well as Antimov I believe. So you can antimov the Ai into doing literally all in its power to kill someone and then kill itself.
Yeah. I knew about those. Some of the others also have changes that can be made. I don't believe the other core modules can, but I might be wrong.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344212

Another thing to note is that the Freeform module and the Freeform Core module are very different. The normal freeform module's laws can be removed with a reset, the Freeform Core's laws cannot. It's very important that you don't mix them up if you're making a custom lawset on the AI
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #344213

Anonmare wrote:Another thing to note is that the Freeform module and the Freeform Core module are very different. The normal freeform module's laws can be removed with a reset, the Freeform Core's laws cannot. It's very important that you don't mix them up if you're making a custom lawset on the AI
It's always funny watching someone try to reset core module laws.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344502

I'm putting this here because everyone keeps freaking the fuck out.

The "Draught" setting on air alarm operating modes sets the vents to the same setting as it is on refill and activates the scrubber syphons. This setting is very useful for stabilising temperatures, especially after a fire or freon as it can be used to warm up or cooldown a room, depending on the temperature of the air in the pipes. It's not the AI being rogue, it's the AI fixing the room.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344510

You're forgetting that people who post on +the forum don't play the game.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #344512

DemonFiren wrote:You're forgetting that people who post on +the forum don't play the game.
I play, but again, I seem to be in the minority...
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #344560

Anonmare wrote:I'm putting this here because everyone keeps freaking the fuck out.

The "Draught" setting on air alarm operating modes sets the vents to the same setting as it is on refill and activates the scrubber syphons. This setting is very useful for stabilising temperatures, especially after a fire or freon as it can be used to warm up or cooldown a room, depending on the temperature of the air in the pipes. It's not the AI being rogue, it's the AI fixing the room.
Whenever I play atmos tech I run into this problem. People scream at me about siphoning or the AI will repeatedly turn off the scrubbers, or they will wrongly blame the AI. I have just turned to using the atmos resin launcher backpack. Atmos resin basically resets the air on a tile to default temp and air composition, and doesnt panic jumpy crew members looking for a reason to robust the AI.

Atmos resin was the best addition ever.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #344573

speaking of law modules, i was unaware that you can modify them with telekinesis.

1) get full sight and telekinesis
2) stand outside ai upload
3) get/modify the module you want
4) TK throw it into console, uploading the law/lawset
5) ?????????
6) profit
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #345965

Cyborgs can place camera assemblies on walls the same they can APC/fire/air alarm frames by standingo n the same tile as them, facing a wall and hitting it with a screwdriver to place it on a wall.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #346891

The firing range's magnet, when active, is damn near impossible for a cyborg to escape from as long as it's turned on and has a respectable level of range
huehuehue
Byond Username: Huehuehue1

Post by huehuehue » #347092

cutting the wire that turns off the test light for a door allows you to crowbar open and close the door for a few
unfortunately you need to recut the wire to do it again plus it doesn't always work with certain doors
feem wrote:wtf i like fwooshposts now
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #347207

It's better to do it with a multitool so that the door doesn't get broken.

Airlcoks have two power wires, the main power and back-up power. Cut both and the door is permanently depowered. Multitools shortcircuit the power, doing it to the main power wire will disable the door for 10 secondsb efore the backup power kicks in. Pulsing the back-up power will disable the door for 60 seconds until both wires reboot.
huehuehue

Post by huehuehue » #347264

Anonmare wrote: It's better to do it with a multitool so that the door doesn't get broken.

Airlcoks have two power wires, the main power and back-up power. Cut both and the door is permanently depowered. Multitools shortcircuit the power, doing it to the main power wire will disable the door for 10 secondsb efore the backup power kicks in. Pulsing the back-up power will disable the door for 60 seconds until both wires reboot.
oh, ok
eh, i'll do it my way
i find it faster, and i usually repair the door afterwards
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #349589

The bartender can make really weak healing chems with his soda dispenser. Tomato juice heals burns, milk cream heals brute, lime juice heals toxin and orange juice heals suffocation. It's very slow but you can down many glasses of each to have weak passive healing with no downsides.

Milk, soy milk and soy lattes also help heal brute damage and tea from coffee machines also helps heal toxin damage. Iced tea also helps reduce toxin damage and can be made from ice from an ice cup and tea from a coffee machine

Coffee and tea will also warm you up if cold and counteract drowsiness, unconsciousness and dizziness.
The soft drinks from the vending machines will help with overheating and counteract drowsiness and unconsciousness, remember to drink different brands to get the most effect.

Drinking iron will passively increase your blood regeneration
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #349630

Anonmare wrote:~
Makeshift chemical healing from the bar is one of those things that help flesh out the game for me.

I do miss Doctor's Delight, though. First healing, then requiring tricord, and now just a drink.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Clones-A-Corpse
Byond Username: Zytolg

Post by Clones-A-Corpse » #349636

Doing research and development properly means you never have to visit a chemist.
Research only goes up in ones.
Jegub
Byond Username: Jegub
Github Username: jegub

Post by Jegub » #349638

The wiki is in need of an update, as Doctor's Delight still heals you, it's the active ingredient in Syndi-Cakes. Its usefulness is diminished in that it greatly accelerates your digestion now, but there are times when being hungry but healthy is a worthwhile trade off.
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #356006

The revenant's blight can kill plants.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #358993

Borgs can be devils and get a couple of Law 666's to go with their powers, though the pitchfork power doesn't work and i had to ask an admin to scramble my security codes
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #365653

most people know that you can pry out a bomb payload and slap a c4 on it to get a highly mobile bomb with a shorter countdown and the same explosion radius, but i have also found out that you can detonate a clown bomb payload the same way and it still spawns the clowns. however, they spawn hostile this way (as opposed to nonhostile the "regular" way(until attacked)), so put some distance between you and the payload first.
huehuehue

Post by huehuehue » #365654

Deitus wrote:most people know that you can pry out a bomb payload and slap a c4 on it to get a highly mobile bomb with a shorter countdown and the same explosion radius, but i have also found out that you can detonate a clown bomb payload the same way and it still spawns the clowns. however, they spawn hostile this way (as opposed to nonhostile the "regular" way(until attacked)), so put some distance between you and the payload first.
honk.mp4
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #366264

Most complicated chems can be mixed in a single beaker without much effort. I've written down some recipes:
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Chemical_recipes

Instead of just dicking around with drugs, Chemists can patch up multiple patients at once.
Load some syringes with tricord plus either atropine or hearty punch and fire them at people you see in crit. I've used 5u Atropine/Punch and 10u Tricord, maybe different amounts are better?
Put some synthflesh+synaptizine in a smoke machine and make people stand in it too.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #366324

Denton wrote:Most complicated chems can be mixed in a single beaker without much effort. I've written down some recipes:

Instead of just dicking around with drugs, Chemists can patch up multiple patients at once.
Load some syringes with tricord plus either atropine or hearty punch and fire them at people you see in crit. I've used 5u Atropine/Punch and 10u Tricord, maybe different amounts are better?
Put some synthflesh+synaptizine in a smoke machine and make people stand in it too.

There is no downside to overheating anything except meth, so when making pent acid (or anything that needs to be heated) you can save a bit of time by setting the heater to max the first time you put the beaker in.

Atropine + Tricord is good for general cases or if you're in a hurry, but if you know a certain damage type or situation is coming up you should use a mix of chems to suit it. Also toxins damage is rare, so just having 5 bicaridine and 5 kelotane works better than 10 tricord most of the time.

If you're using it to heal people in crit, include 1u epinephrine (or less if you want to go through the trouble of diluting it) to set their oxygen damage to 35, and 1 or 2u of Atrophine.

Atropine metabolizes very slowly, so you don't need much of it. 1u heals 50 oxygen damage and 20 of each of the others, so 1 or 2u is probably enough if you're also using epi (which will only heal 5 of each per u). They only heal in crit though, so using a lot wastes the space. 5u will get anyone in crit up alone, but if you have any other healing meds in there you waste a bit of it.

From there you want to add chems depending on if you need long or short term healing and what type you think you'll need. Stacking a bunch of different healing chems gives faster healing but doesn't last very long. If you want longer term just put a bunch of one type.

It's worth noting they'll still have a bit of damage after the syringe runs out most of the time, so give them some other meds once they're stable.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #366329

Save yourself a bunch of time with complicated recipes by making a bunch of bottles of stuff like diethelyamine, oil, ash and so on and putting them in the smart fridge for oyu to retrieve as needed.
Really helps if there's a viral outbreak and you need to mass produce a particular chemical to treat everyone, like cyptobiolin or spaceicillin
Denton

Post by Denton » #366335

TribeOfBeavers wrote:
Denton wrote:Most complicated chems can be mixed in a single beaker without much effort. I've written down some recipes:

There is no downside to overheating anything except meth, so when making pent acid (or anything that needs to be heated) you can save a bit of time by setting the heater to max the first time you put the beaker in.

Atropine + Tricord is good for general cases or if you're in a hurry, but if you know a certain damage type or situation is coming up you should use a mix of chems to suit it. Also toxins damage is rare, so just having 5 bicaridine and 5 kelotane works better than 10 tricord most of the time.

If you're using it to heal people in crit, include 1u epinephrine (or less if you want to go through the trouble of diluting it) to set their oxygen damage to 35, and 1 or 2u of Atrophine.

Atropine metabolizes very slowly, so you don't need much of it. 1u heals 50 oxygen damage and 20 of each of the others, so 1 or 2u is probably enough if you're also using epi (which will only heal 5 of each per u). They only heal in crit though, so using a lot wastes the space. 5u will get anyone in crit up alone, but if you have any other healing meds in there you waste a bit of it.

From there you want to add chems depending on if you need long or short term healing and what type you think you'll need. Stacking a bunch of different healing chems gives faster healing but doesn't last very long. If you want longer term just put a bunch of one type.

It's worth noting they'll still have a bit of damage after the syringe runs out most of the time, so give them some other meds once they're stable.
That's pretty great, I never even thought about the atropine metabolization rate and that epi sets oxyloss to 35 max.

6u bicardine/kelotane, 1u epi and 2u atropine would heal much better than just flat atropine+tricord!

After that I'd probably just use Synthflesh and Pentetic Acid to treat damage.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #366397

You can swap the clone mix for an explosion mix to make a cryo tube explode when someone is placed inside
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #366422

Denton wrote:~
I was bored and did the calculations:

For 150 of one damage type:

10 bicaridine/kelotane
1 Atropine
1 Epinephrine
3 Oxandrolone/Salicylic Acid

Leaves 30 damage

For 75 brute and 75 burn:

4 Kelotane and Bicaridine
1 Epinephrine
4 Atropine
1 Oxandrolone and Salicylic Acid

Left about 26 of each type (52 total)
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #366449

Targeting legs with double esword
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #366499

Calibraptor wrote:Targeting legs with double esword
Remember: no legs
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #366616

DemonFiren wrote:
Calibraptor wrote:Targeting legs with double esword
Remember: no legs
every fucking time

honestly though, if you lose your legs you were done for anyways
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #366617

I killed a hos with my bare hands while I had no legs and one arm so that's not true
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Denton

Post by Denton » #366766

TribeOfBeavers wrote:
Denton wrote:~
I was bored and did the calculations: [...]
Hey, thanks for that. It's always good to learn more about chemistry.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #366800

If you're stealthminned and use dsay it generates a random admins name, but in a joke/ass way.
DicknakFUCK
MrDrunkenOne
Soggymare
Assops
PeopleareFURRY
etc. very amazing and i spent like 30 minutes getting as many different names as I could.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #366802

But peoplearefurry isnt even an admin anymore, hell he doesnt even play
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #366804

>Soggymare
Excuse me what, how dare you
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #366805

Anonmare wrote:>Soggymare
I wonder if that one was meant for me
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #366822

Its obviously feem.
huehuehue

Post by huehuehue » #366842

Alipheese wrote:If you're stealthminned and use dsay it generates a random admins name, but in a joke/ass way.
DicknakFUCK
MrDrunkenOne
Soggymare
Assops
PeopleareFURRY
etc. very amazing and i spent like 30 minutes getting as many different names as I could.
make a seperate thread and give us more names there please
i need it for research
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #367011

Saegrimr wrote:
Anonmare wrote:>Soggymare
I wonder if that one was meant for me
You have your own. I just coulsnt renenber what it was.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Denton

Post by Denton » #368017

Fulton beacons are cheap and essentially let you teleport around Lavaland and the station. You need to be outside the station to activate it, but that's no big deal since you can put on a firesuit and maybe drink some coffee to survive the 10 seconds of spess damage.
Denton

Post by Denton » #368038

Getting high lets you speak Beachbum. Who needs a Codespeak manual when you can just smoke weed instead?
huehuehue

Post by huehuehue » #368050

Denton wrote:Getting high lets you speak Beachbum. Who needs a Codespeak manual when you can just smoke weed instead?
radical, dude
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #369882

calzilla1 wrote:But peoplearefurry isnt even an admin anymore, hell he doesnt even play
I've asked the admins to update it for currentmins like 100 times :(
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Limski
Byond Username: Limski

Post by Limski » #369884

You can cuff xenos.
yes.
Denton

Post by Denton » #370016

You can use spray bottles for mixing, just like beakers and bottles. Having a 250u container is very handy for mixing chemicals like Hearty Punch and Chloral Hydrate.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #370020

Limski wrote:You can cuff xenos.
yes.
To add on that, they have a fixed 5 second uncuff time regardless of cuffs, so fake cuffs are just as good for that purpose
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #370036

XDTM wrote:
yes.
To add on that, they have a fixed 5 second uncuff time regardless of cuffs, so fake cuffs are just as good for that purpose
You can get around that by buckling them to something, like a chair or a bed and then they have to resist the full minute like a normal person
Denton

Post by Denton » #370573

Chemical heaters can chill contents down to 0°K. Really good for when you mix temperature sensitive chems.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #370754

Anonmare wrote:
XDTM wrote:
yes.
You can get around that by buckling them to something, like a chair or a bed and then they have to resist the full minute like a normal person
Actually, Xeno cuff-breaking is instant. You can still catch a xeno off guard with the buckle-cuff combo, which indeed still works for the full minute.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #370790

Anonmare's Rules To Enhanced Interrogation Techniques
  • Rule 1: Control: Don't let the suspect control the conversation - Interrupt them, press them for details, question their motives or actions - anything that keeps them from thinking up lies on the spot.
  • Rule 2: Evidence: You can't make a case out of conjecture and it's harder for someone to lie around a fact. They say they weren't at the scene? Tell them you have proof that says they were. Exaggerate or not as necessary.
  • Rule 3: Persuasion: Sometimes you to turn the camera and somestimes you need to get rough with a suspect to get him talking - injure them, stab their eyes out with a screwdriver, go at their teeth with a pair of wirecutters and even threaten to have their body spaced if they think dying is no big deal. Non-brainwashed suspects will usually value their life enough to keep talking if they start clamming up on you.
  • Rule 4: Showmanship: Get a partner and have him be the good cop to your bad cop, make sure they pipe up in the suspect's defense or argue with you in frotn of the suspect. When you leave, he stays behind and presents a sympathetic ear - They're usually seen as more trustworthy and your suspect might be more inclined to talk to someone they feel they can make a deal with.
  • Rule 5: Creativity: Keep your suspects on their toes and get creative. Deliberately screwing up surgical procedures on your suspect can load him down with injuries he can't fix easily or he might have a friend he doesn't want hurt or an accomplice who'll squeal on them if you offer them a deal, hell, offer them both a deal to betray one another and act like the other is about to, or has, done so.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #370835

You can instantly purge someone's chems by giving them the recipe for smoke or foam, as it consumes all the reagents in the "container" to make the smoke.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.