Monster Hunter World

Talk about video games here
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Monster Hunter World

Post by TheWiznard » #375029

Anyone have any thoughtss on this? I've never played much of the monster hunter series but I watched some of the beta footage and other videos and it looks pretty interesting.

I'll be playing on xbox when it releases; GT:ThyWiznard
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Monster Hunter World

Post by D&B » #375032

I pre ordered it for PS4
Beta was fun but it's my first MonHun game.

Hopefully the missions have longer times or there's a way to free roam because the locations are absolutely stunning.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #375107

im going to burn down the fuckers who pushed the PC release to fall I swear to god these dumb bimbos makin me WAIT
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #375314

SpaceInaba wrote:im going to burn down the fuckers who pushed the PC release to fall I swear to god these dumb bimbos makin me WAIT
at least the company isn't rockstar and the game isn't RDR
D&B

Post by D&B » #375905

ONE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #375942

I'm hype.

comes out as soon as I get off work
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #376310

ITS OUT! 10% of 13.8GB life
D&B

Post by D&B » #376330

Handler is cute!

Cute!
Spoiler:
fuck you
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #376332

Why I gotta be working I need my Monster Hunter fix.

Can’t wait to pick it up after work.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #376333

>buying this on console

Call me when it's out on PC.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #376598

only got like 4 hours in last night

six more till I can play again.....

palico chef is the best

mp is kinda weird I don't fully understand it yet but played with my buds
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #376743

every other weapon got some sick new shit and the gunlance got a Bigger Shell that seems really suboptimal

it looks cool but iirc it chains out of full burst which is already a move you should not be using terribly often because poke chains are more consistent DPS

at least heat gauge is removed
D&B

Post by D&B » #376745

HAMMER

BOIS
Spoiler:
fuck you
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #377156

>When your poor and you couldn't buy it release day and have to rent it instead via snail mail - and it hasn't shown up yet.

To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #377157

>renting games
>especially one with progression like this

butwhy
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #377161

Buy it from the renting service later duh.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #377260

Wyvernfire is GOAT

BRRRRRTTTTT
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #377347

So far I've been doing hammer time but then I fought thunder squirrel and made the best looking gun lance I've seen, so been doing those things mostly. Tried the bow out and liked it, gonna have to give it some more time though.

me and buds made it to third zone but I haven't gone in there yet
D&B

Post by D&B » #377354

Great Sword is the best ever and there's no greater feel than triple charge jump falling into a monster just to mount it in the same attack.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #377376

captain sawrge wrote:every other weapon got some sick new shit and the gunlance got a Bigger Shell that seems really suboptimal

it looks cool but iirc it chains out of full burst which is already a move you should not be using terribly often because poke chains are more consistent DPS

[youtube]vdSkugr6pZg[/youtube]

Burst fire is ridiculous. Combo'ing into it consistently nets higher DPS.
The wyvernstake is your combo ender when you've burned up all your sharpness and need to stop.
Gunlance's DPS output is only limited by your sharpness, getting quick sharpen and loading for bigger bursts is more important than attack or elm attack up.

I think it has the highest consistent DPS output. Bow is a solid contender and I think there's potential to abuse sticky ammo in bowguns too.

But yeah, get blood dogs chestpiece and build the sharpener charm with his mats.
Rock the High Metal(?) tasset for loading up and I fill the rest out with lightning birb so I get the extra rewards and divine protection.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377380

Hammer gets an honorable mention too for putting up insane numbers but it's so easy to use it feels like cheating.
Build bone armor, build a hammer with the highest raw attack you can get your hands on and just beast it. 2ez.

Lance got a really cool ability to vault during the charge for more aerial shenanigans and I've seen a small handful of players use it really well.

Online is plagued with tons of Swaxe and Charge Blade users that always seem to be blowing their load somewhere the monster isn't. Maybe 3 in 10 of those explosions I've seen people using actually land. Doesn't make the weapon bad just...don't be that guy.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377389

Timbrewolf wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:every other weapon got some sick new shit and the gunlance got a Bigger Shell that seems really suboptimal

[youtube]vdSkugr6pZg[/youtube]

Burst fire is ridiculous. Combo'ing into it consistently nets higher DPS.
The wyvernstake is your combo ender when you've burned up all your sharpness and need to stop.
Gunlance's DPS output is only limited by your sharpness, getting quick sharpen and loading for bigger bursts is more important than attack or elm attack up.

I think it has the highest consistent DPS output. Bow is a solid contender and I think there's potential to abuse sticky ammo in bowguns too.

But yeah, get blood dogs chestpiece and build the sharpener charm with his mats.
Rock the High Metal(?) tasset for loading up and I fill the rest out with lightning birb so I get the extra rewards and divine protection.
haven't played it at all cause i dont have a ps4 but its nice that gunlance is actually good for a change in that case
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377396

I think they realized that Gunlance was by far the most complicated bullshit with a bunch of drawbacks piled onto it without enough reward.

So they removed some of the drawbacks and piled on yet-another mechanic (the stakes) and said fuck it, if you can master using all this shit you deserve to have the highest DPS.

Heat meter is out. Still cant shooty-bang while in red sharpness. Wyvernfire's cooldown seems about the same to me. Overall it feels like a pretty nice buff.

Biggest disappointment with weapons was the loss of SnS oils. Questionable changes to Bow mechanics (it seems like every bow just has rapid fire on R2 and Spread on O) but I feel like overall they do (even) more damage than before. So less variety kinda sucks but it's still a buff? Waiting to see if Blast element Bow is still "everything is fucked now"-tier like it was before.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
D&B

Post by D&B » #377427

Someone explain it lower damage high elemental is worth it
Spoiler:
fuck you
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #377432

D&B wrote:Someone explain it lower damage high elemental is worth it
Most monster have corresponding elemental vunerabilities and strengths, lightning weapons versus a gycperos (big flashy rubber bird from earlier games) does virtually nothing and *most of the time this can be learnt from inspecting the statistics in the armor types gathered from monster materials with some exceptions where the stats are not representative. I dont know if decorations were carried over as a mechanic, since i've not played a MH game past Freedom 2 and the original but those can apply additional attributes onto your armor to make it exaggerated statswise or more well rounded.

Armor carries skills typically that adding these decorations or specific combinations of armor outside of a full set can sometimes tap into, the alchemist skill for instance that lets you craft super powerful stuff from complete crap items from freedom 2 is a good example, meaning you'd always walk around village hub wearing a bone helmet and green pants crafting your materials before switching to a super-serious hunting armor before setting out.

Elemental damage goes ontop, some monster parts only break in response (across the game series) to elemental damage despite taking a shitton of damage, applying poison and paralysis states can also disrupt some monster abilities like kushola daora's (my memory might have butchered the name) constant wind that pushes you away from them, there are other ways to apply poison other than weapons though.

Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377603

short answer: if the monster is particularly weak to that element yes

long answer: the game uses some pretty complex math to determine the actual damage dealt per hit
The "weapon value", which is a flat multiplier that converts those big numbers into an actual applicable stat. 1000 Atk SnS is much harder hitting than a 1000 Atk GS, for example.
The "movement value", which is a fancy way of saying the multiplier for the actual attack you did. A poke with the lance would have one "movement value" while the sweep would have a different "movement value".
The hit location. Different locations may be more or less resistant to a type of damage, be it bludgeoning, cutting, or an element. A monster that is weak to lightning damage, for example, would have lower resistance to lightning across all its hit locations. As monsters scale up in toughness it's just a general distribution of higher defense values across each "piece" of the monster.

This can result in strange circumstances where a specific monster might be more vulnerable to bludgeoning in the face, but a specific element in the wings.
This is where it gets complicated, when you have something like a fire hammer and you are trying to figure out where to position yourself to slap something for maximum damage.

Thank-fucking-Christ the game has finally added damage numbers so you can just go out in the field and experiment rather quickly by pummeling a monster all over to see where you get those big shiny numbers.
In addition you have the monster guide to show you where a monster is weakest to bludgeon/cutting/shots, and which elements it's overall most vulnerable to.

In the past people had to either experiment like crazy to see which attacks where lead to the fastest times, most staggers, etc.
...or just cheat with custom firmware PSP's to add monster health bars and see which hits were doing the most damage.

It's honestly pretty amazing that people were able to datamine and figure all this shit out blindly without the game ever giving you a solid figure.
I would logically guess that it's mostly due to people "cheating" and using CFW to be able to see behind the curtain that the community ever figured most of this shit out.

...which is just ironic considering how many "hardcore" players have bitched that being able to see the damage numbers makes the game "casualized".

BUUUUUUT ANYWAY back to your question:

Most of the time yes. But it does depend on what your go-to combo is for the weapon(s) you prefer, the monster your fighting, and how you plan to attack it.
For example: Hit-locations like Silver Rathalos' feet mattered a lot more when you are using a weapon like Dual Sabers that can't hit up high and he likes to fly around a fuckton.
That his face is weak to such-and-such wouldn't matter as much because you're going to spend a lot of the time chasing him around poking his tail/stub trying to knock him out of the sky while he rage-flies everywhere.
Using Dual Sabers your options for Tier-6 near-endgame weapons are

Black Wing Edge 180atk, Blue Sharpness, 40% affinity
Nibelsnarf Twin Swords 220atk, Blue Sharpness
Gods of Thunder 210atk, 22 thunder, Green Sharpness

...in which case the Black Wing Edge is probably going to win out just because of that affinity score giving you a pretty consistent stream of crits.
Barring that, the Nibelsnarf Swords would likely beat the Gods of Thunder because of the sharpness modifier, but maybe not because DS chews through that sharpness so fast.

I could keep going but yeah. It's really that fucking autistic when you start to break it down.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377614

Elemental and status damage is a fixed value. Whatever attack you use, it will always apply that amount of elemental/status damage, modified by the monster's elemental weakness/defense* and any buffs or modifiers the player may have.

*These are different for every part of each monster but usually if it's weak to an element every part will at least be a little weak to it.

This means that fast, combo-heavy weapons like the DB or SnS are very good for exploiting elemental weaknesses since the attack motion values don't matter, only the element/status damage value.

On the flipside, heavy and slow weapons like the GS are pretty mediocre for elements and status because you're only getting a few good hits in, so you're not applying the elemental/status damage nearly as often.

With status weapons, most monsters have a separate health bar for each status that once depleted applies the status. The monster's resistance to the status increases each time you apply it, and monsters have different resistances to different statuses.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377615

in short, yes for fast weapons provided the element is the monster's actual weakness, no for slow weapons.

what this means is if you fancy sword and shield or dual blades be prepared to craft and be upgrading a set for each element
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377620

Yeah that's a really solid point too.

Another thing to keep in mind:

Negative affinity value weapons with higher ATK are ACTUALLY REALLY FUCKING GOOD. GET THEM SHITS.

A negative affinity is a % chance to deal 75% damage on hit. These weapons usually have jacked ATK for their tier in exchange.
That's a good deal. If one weapon has 100 atk and one weapon has 120 attack with -20% affinity you are winning out.
To put it super simply:
Five hits from 100 atk = 500 damage. Five hits from 120 = (120 x 4) + (120 x .75) = 480 + 90 = 570 damage
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377624

In MHW for example you get the Carapace Hammer (676 atk, 10 defense, -10% affinity) and the Kulu Beak (624 atk, 15% affinity) at the same tier.

Your first instinct is probably to get scared off by the -10% affinity and lured in by the 15% positive affinity but it's a trap.

The Carapace hammer is only going to critfail for 75% damage one in every 10 hits and the Kulu Beak is only going to crit for 125% damage roughly one in seven hits.

In 20 swings you'll have applied 12,168 (18 regular hits) + 1,014 (two crit fails) = 13,182 ATK worth of hits of various movement values and such, with the Carapace Hammer.
In 20 swings (assuming three crits) you'll have applied 10,642 (17 regulars) + 2,347 (three crits) = 12,989 ATK worth of hits with the Kuru Beak.

As time goes on and the number of swings increases that gap is going to get wider and wider. Since fights in Monster Hunter are long, drawn out affairs you can see how that matters more.

The possible exception to that rule is Greatsword, where it sucks shit to hit that perfect level 3 charge to the face and have it critfail. On a weapon where single hits matter more the -% affinity does start to bite you in the ass sometimes, but thankfully GS users have access to stuff like Crit Draw where you can just say damn the rules and guarantee yourself a crit with a weapon that has terrible, terrible affinity but amazing ATK.
It's dicier there but in general it's still GOOD DEAL.

For weapons like SnS, DS, LS, Bow, where you are spamming a ton of hits all the time with fairly consistent movement value it's a no-brainer. Get those Barroth/Tigrex/whatever weapons.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
D&B

Post by D&B » #377625

Think I'll just stick to my GS tbh

Thanks for the explanation though.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #377628

If you're exclusively using one weapon there's no reason not to make a spread of them for each different element. You're not going to have to work too hard to get the materials anyway.

If you just want one GS and not have to think on it any more get on Barroth's Carapace Buster line and don't bother looking at other options until you're in high-tier.
Spoiler:
When you build Magda's weapon. Which you use until you can get your hands on Nergal's weapon. Then that's it, you're done here.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377632

I'd say as a general rule with GS you want to prioritize raw over elements nine times out of ten. Accompanying element can't hurt but don't sacrifice raw damage for a higher element number.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #378497

I do love me my LS and GS.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378529

Long Swords are amazing but I always feel a little cheesy using them because they're just so good. The combination of reach and mobility makes pouring on damage while not getting hit almost mindless. You also keep your stamina up the whole time so Maximum Might is practically free affinity for you.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378530

When you get to High Rank do yourself a favor and build the Hunter's A set. It gives you a bunch of skills for scouting, tracking, gathering, etc.

There's quite a few points where you have to run around on expeditions picking up clues for things and it was a pain in the ass until I just killed a bunch of Jagras and made that shit to do it with.

Save yourself the boredom and just make that set to have on hand when the game wants you to do that before you can progress and you'll be much happier.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378714

After pouring a shit-ton of time into the game over the last week and change:

1) Being a gunner is great now with the auto-crafting and abundance of resources on the map. LBG's special ammo is great. HBG's Wyvernheart is great but Wyvernsnipe sucks. Bow sits between the two in terms of times. LBG < Bow < HBG. EDIT: LBG is really super solid though. I think there's some real potential for LBG to abuse Heroics and go off big. Rapid firing spread shot does good damage. Slicing shot is stupidly powerful in both guns. That you can often just take a short detour and pick up a decent chunk of reload for your ammo types is big. Sliding down a hill to chase a monster and swiping up a bunch of Slicing ammo on the way feels real fuckin' good.

2) Gunlance upgrades are wacky. You want the highest level Normal type shot for spamming that burst combo. Long shots are dumb. Wide shots are total trash since they don't hit multiple locations on the monster. Seems like either a bug or just bad design. Drastic drop in overall damage of the go-to combo. At end-game a lot of the trees force you to completely change how you are using the weapon from a combo beatstick to snails-pace poking and landing charged shots. Very disappointing. Step back in potential DPS. For shame. If Capcom "fixes" Wide Shot so they actually go off like a spread shot blast and hit more than one location we'll be in the money. As is trading 5 shells that do around 30 damage for 2 shells that do 40 damage is bullshit. Burst goes from doing 150 to 80? Thanks for the "upgrade" you fucking retards. I am butthurt that I am forced to stop using my weapon of choice in a fun way and have to go back to just bashing with the weapon combos and have to take the shelling out of my rotation to keep my damage up. Mad.

3) Longsword really is godking emperor of scrub mountain with that Spirit Stab/Helmbreaker shit going on. Dual Blades very close second place for "I want to kill everything quickly but I don't want to use any brain cells". Not hating on people who use them (I got that LS at the ready 24/7) but the game really seems setup for letting those two just beast it.

4) Swaxe is the not-so-secret fun boy.

5) General item bullshit: Don't bring Antidotes bring Herbal Medicines. Don't bring Mega Nutrients or Ancient Potions, bring Max Potions and Well-Done Steaks. Bring your goddamn Demondrugs and Armordrugs. I get a little angry when I see people in HR who don't have their ATK/DEF buff juice. You spent hours gathering all this shit on the way here fucking use it you dumbass.

Source: 2/3 HR elder dragon bosses down wearing a mix of Nerg, Dragon eyepatch, and Dober legs. Buncha rank 7 weapons. Haven't been able to start farming good decorations yet so balance of things might swing a little when I can do more than just stack a ton of ATK up and Weakness Exploit for damage.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #378731

Have you never used a wide GL before? You're basically only meant to use charged shots with them because they do ridiculous damage. Dunno about Worlds but in 4 one level 2 charged wide with artillery level 3 outdamages a LBB.

Never full-burst with wide, it has a 0.8x modifier on it. It's pointless. Hell, for the most part you just want to do the charge-in charged shell and then just charged shell --> reload --> charged shell til you gotta move.

As for long shots, the buff to WF is nice. They're more poke-y than normal since you typically use your shells to extend a poke combo rather than bursting or charging.

Actually charging is really only ever worth it if you're using Wide. I've heard it's even slower in this game although I still won't be playing it til autumn rofl

General Gunlance rule though each shot type plays fairly differently, don't switch and just expect to be able to keep using the weapon as you were before.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378751

I was expecting that from reading up on it but it's much worse than that.

This is all anecdotal but:

I scraped together Artillery 2 and Load Up with a charm and some armor. My Tier 6 GL had Normal 3, the Tier 7 upgrade off it had Wide 2. So I had six shots of Normal and three with Wide.

The FULLY CHARGED shot from Wide 2 with that setup did between 58 and 65 damage while fighting Nerg.
Previously in my bursts with Normal 3 each shell was hitting for 35-40, to Nerg.

So my options for moves were:
working a burst into my combo that shot Nerg with 6 x 35 damage = 210 damage in a small frame window
vs.
trying to work the charge time to fire a single wide shell for 65 damage

It's slow as fuck and sucks.
Everything I'd been reading up on lead me to believe that charged wide shots would be doing insane amounts of damage but its-fucking-nothing.jpg

Just in the time it would take to charge and fire two of those wide shots I could've done a full rotation of my combo for like 400-500+
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378753

I think the trick here is that I'm focusing too much on the shelling damage in the combo and not the increased damage from the lance slaps.

I need to rebuild the Tier-6 GL to compare, but I'm curious to see if the reduced 3 x 58-65 of the burst is offset by increased physical damage from the rest of the slams and swipes as the raw ATK of the Tier 7 lance is substantially greater.

I'm just disappointed that I stepped up a tier and the cool thing that I liked to do suddenly took a nose-dive in damage, and the gun part of the gun lance seemed to just get really fucking lame all of a sudden.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #378774

Did some quick testing:

A) My suspicion was right. It's probably a quirk of this particular gunlance upgrade that the shelling on it sucks, but the smacks are incredibly stronk. Rising strike hits the training post for around 90, the overhead for around 100, and the wide strike for like 140. 330 damage over and over in an easily repeatable combo is mean. A fully charged wide shell (even with artillery 2) still only does like 50 to it (which is sad because the two round burst does exactly the same). Seems like with this particular GL you want to just avoid using the gun part of it at all.

B) I threw some LS, Swaxe, Lance, and GS testing in while I was smacking inanimate objects. The GS hits for 330 on the true charge alone, which is pretty gnarly (400 including the first chop). It takes a lot of time and I don't know that I could do that reliably to a monster that is running and turning around, moving its weakspot.

The LS goes apeshit. That Helmsplitter is no fucking joke. With a full red charge it hits like 6-7(?) times with each hit doing about 70 damage. Aiming it is obviously a big bitch but I really don't think there's anything else in the game that rivals that Helmsplitter for damage output.

Swaxe looks cool spinning around and doing shit but in terms of raw damage output it only beat out the Lance, which isn't saying much.

So it turns out in terms of damage output, Gunlance's bread and butter combo does a fucking ton of damage even without the shelling. No need to build meter or charge anything up. You just come out swinging real hard.

I want to say that the GS rewards more skillful play over the LS but it just doesn't seem to be the case. It comes out of the gate swinging harder if you can keep dropping those true charges on something's face, but if the LS heats up and gets in a cycle of spending focus then recouping it quickly it can spam Helmsplitter and outdamage it. Being more foot-mobile vs. being able to block is an argument to be had. There are advantages to both.

My damage skills again are Weakness Exploit 2 (30% increased affinity when hitting a weakspot) and Attack Up like 6-7 (one less than max, whatever that is).
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
D&B

Post by D&B » #378889

I think there's like a skill that lets you guard against normally non guardable attacks, which is gnarly with the GS (Although just being able to block projectiles and Tzi Tzi flash is great in itself.)
Spoiler:
fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #379066

Yeah, I think the GS ability to block is very underrated and the damage you take to sharpness is overstated. I did a lot of GS in Tri and P3rd and that block got me through a lot.

I said fuck it and went in on a Swaxe anyway because it looks fun. I think some of what may have been misleading about it is the over-use of the elemental unleash attack I see online. If you just stick to simple 2-3 hit combos in axe mode to get as many overhead chops in as possible, and go to sword mode just for tons of sword slashes and no bursts, it is much more fun (IMO) and does pretty even damage. It's still no LS/DB tier bullshit nor is it the one-slap-chap GS, but it's decent and fun.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #379154

>not using the insect glaive

faggots
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #379156

DrPillzRedux wrote:>not using the insect glaive

faggots
do you aspire to make the worst possible posts in every thread you look at or does it just come naturally
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #379158

Fuck year sword and board

Simple, quick, blocks everything ever anyway, has a decent ass jump attack

It's not the lord and savior HBG but it's neato
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #379163

captain sawrge wrote:

faggots
do you aspire to make the worst possible posts in every thread you look at or does it just come naturally
I'm sorry you're obsessed with shit weapons, kiddo.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #379165

>using the autist Glaive
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
D&B

Post by D&B » #379181

DrPillzRedux wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:

faggots
I'm sorry you're obsessed with shit weapons, kiddo.
>Shit gimmick
>Clutch jumps since you can't use the environment to mount
>Low damage compared to other weapons
>Can't block
>Eats your stamina faster than you eat cock

lmao
Spoiler:
fuck you
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #379191

[youtube]flt3X2CFzkw[/youtube]

Damn that felt good.

GS is king. I recant my earlier criticisms. It's king.

Once the LS "heats up" you can put out a fucking ton of damage with alternating helmsplitter/spirit combo spam.
But what makes GS so good is that it doesn't need any "load time" before it gets ready to rock like LS, Swaxe, CB, etc.

In actual practice fighting monsters the simple bread-and-butter unsheath triangle, with some sweep slash follow-ups does so much damage in 2-3 hits relatively quickly and you can leg it afterwards.
Against a post just smacking damage numbers you don't really see that. My mistake.
In practice being able to sweep the legs out from something and drop a charge (or multiples) for hundreds and hundreds of damage just like that is too good.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: