Budget OPs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
halitosisman
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Budget OPs

Post by halitosisman » #379137

Weaknesses:
-sparse starting gear
-no private land base, they spawn on a mobile vessel
-instead of a nuke, they spawn with a bomb shell. To win, they have to steal the plutonium core from the vault and make their own nuke.

Strengths:
-"cargo pod", a syndicate version of the cargo shuttle, able to sell goods stolen from the station and buy nuke op gear
-plentiful supply of grey jumpsuits and smuggling satchels
-ability to purchase additional ops, and even hire a changeling if they make enough money

The idea here is to make a slower paced version of nuke ops by forcing the antags to stay quiet initially. To offset their starting weakness I gave them the reinforcements option (although a smart crew would steal cloning).
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Re: Budget OPs

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #379142

I think this is a fun idea.

I disagree with one thing. This should be an option, just like declaring war.
When leaving the syndicate facility, they teleport into the arrivals shuttle.
To sell to the syndicate, they actually hijack escape pods or any other available ships. They appear to be on lavaland or centcom depending on the ship.

I feel like it's complex, but it would make the game super interesting. It's like traitor and cult combined.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #379144

I think this sounds fun, and semi-reasonable to do as an event.

What exactly is "sparse" starting gear.
Are they buying from the traitor uplink or normal operative one.
What exactly are they trying to steal to sell? High value items? Research? Credits? Minerals? The armory?
How do you stop the most effective strategy from being "murder anyone that sees you"?

What size population seems right here? 10-20 (Terry), 20-40 (Sybil), or 60+ (Bagil).

Regardless I like this and will make it happen later this week/this weekend. The more useful ideas and thought that land here the better. It's all going to just be by hand so anything define ahead of time would be appreciated.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #379147

The following items are redeemable for the following amounts.

10 TC - The AI, Engine parts from Cargo, Chem Machines, Sergeant Armsky, The Research Servers, Communications consoles/AI Uploads, Botanys DNA Manipulator.
5 TC - Head lockers, Item Objectives, Department Protolathes, Live Crewmembers, Emitters, Plasma Gas Tanks (the big ones).
3 TC - Department Pets, 10+ of any mineral (once per type).
halitosisman
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Post by halitosisman » #379152

Nabski wrote:I think this sounds fun, and semi-reasonable to do as an event.

What exactly is "sparse" starting gear.
Are they buying from the traitor uplink or normal operative one.
What exactly are they trying to steal to sell? High value items? Research? Credits? Minerals? The armory?
How do you stop the most effective strategy from being "murder anyone that sees you"?

What size population seems right here? 10-20 (Terry), 20-40 (Sybil), or 60+ (Bagil).

Regardless I like this and will make it happen later this week/this weekend. The more useful ideas and thought that land here the better. It's all going to just be by hand so anything define ahead of time would be appreciated.
-Sparse starting gear: anything from the uplink that costs 2tc or less, emergency space suits, the nuclear core screwdriver, and maybe a stetchkin or two.
-My thought was to make surplus crates with a chance of holding op gear purchasable.
-high value items, plus anything cargo can sell. High value items would fetch a premium
-Give them bad weapons initially. Also, the fancy gear is time-gated, so early rampages and shuttle calls would deny ops the fun equipment.
-Depends on how the coders balance it.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #379167

I suggested something similar years ago. Forced stealth ops of sorts. They would be limited to stealth gear only, and their job would be to assassinate heads of staff revs style. I think it would offer more opportunities for creativity, and be more engaging with the station crew.

Stealing nuke core is too restrictive and would be power gamed.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #379175

That's an advantage of doing it as an event, It's harder to powergame something that isn't a roundtype.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379185

yeah stealing the nuke core isn't really super difficult, but other than that this idea is pretty cool. maybe they need to save up money from selling things to buy the nuke code or something (buy a hacker kit that they have to use on the station nuke that copies its OS and cracks it so it doesnt need a code?)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #379264

Maybe, that it shouldn't be gamemode, but ruin.
I think, that it's good idea to put in ruins some full functional syndie bases with crew from ghost roles, which could help traitors on station with more than just listening.
Why it is good idea?
1.It's way, how space exploration could actually help station. they can track down enemy bases.
2.Reason to build shield(to cut syndie supply channel) and BS artillery(to wipe the fuckers).
3.Reason to buy syndie radio key.
4.Provides feeling, that it's really organisation. With real members and backup.
5.Harmless reason to hoard all dedly things for our dear so called powergamers.To unleash wrath on external enemy.Harmless, because game is full of deadly things, which you want to test on someone. But until you antag, you won't be able to do it without risk ob ban.