Simple Questions Thread

General SS13 Chat
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Simple Questions Thread

Post by Grazyn » #357331

Bottom post of the previous page:

PKPenguin321 wrote:You'll absolutely have to make telesci not require out of game tools to operate if you intend to readd it, since that was the main thing that killed it. I doubt our maintainers would allow it back in without at least that.
They're adding circuits which require knowledge of circuit design and microcontrollers and will turn into another copypaste fiesta, so I doubt this was the "main thing". To reiterate

The tool and coords had been on the wiki for 3 years when telescience was removed. The "main thing" that killed it was literally Vcordie running it into the ground with metagaming bullshit 24/7 (he also got the hotel and space bar removed in the process). You could take any game feature and abuse it for a month to get it removed, hell you could do it with fucking bombs if you wanted and someone (bonus points if you do it yourself like he did) will eventually make a PR which removes bombs on the basis "bombs are too easy to make, the destruction is hard to repair and rounds end too quickly, so bombs have to go", which are all valid concerns but don't change the fact that we had bombs since forever and they only got removed when someone abused them.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357375

The math required to use telesci absolutely does not require external tools, it's taught in like grade 9 and doesn't need anything more than basic addition/subtraction and division/multiplication skills. It's just a basic linear function, y=mx + b. All you do if figure out the slope (when I set it one tile further, how much further does it actually go?(m)) and the offset (when I set it to 0, where does it go?(b)). After that you can calculate what you need to put in for any given coordinate! You can do this in two teleports. The problem is that this isn't really intuitive or explained well in game so people just jump straight to external tools.

As I recall, the main issue with telesci was that being on the recieving end of it feels terrible, if you're the AI or a cult you're going to get bombed and there isn't anything you can do (if they didn't leave the cameras intact), if you're sec all your guns are probably getting stolen unless you take them out of the armoury. I never saw it used for much other than stealing stuff or safely bombing things.

That said, I'd like to see it readded in some capacity, maybe increasing the range on the launchpad thing we currently have a little bit or something like that.
Last edited by TribeOfBeavers on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #357382

PKPenguin321 wrote:You'll absolutely have to make telesci not require out of game tools to operate if you intend to readd it, since that was the main thing that killed it. I doubt our maintainers would allow it back in without at least that.
Telescience had a level of practicalness to it. You could teleport a bomb down to the asteroid (at the time it was an asteroid), teleport people up, teleport people out of trouble, teleport people into trouble.

Personally, I like the idea of having a teleporter similar to the teleporter in command and at the AI, but instead of knowing where you're going to go, you go to random signals. Xenobiology, genetics, and virology all have something in common which makes them balanced. They have to guess and test. With that calculator, or having some level of predictability with the equation, it no longer becomes guess and test. If the teleporter had a chance of teleporting someone out to space for each frequency (outside of the range that the teleporter there does) they found, it would be more risky, and there would be a chance of adventure.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #357550

TribeOfBeavers wrote:The math required to use telesci absolutely does not require external tools
Sure, but why would you ever do it in your head which is slower and has a chance to be incorrect when perfectly efficient and correct tools exist and are incredibly accessible?

Anyways I'm not disagreeing with any of you guys I'm just saying what maintainers would say if you tried to add telesci back
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357583

PKPenguin321 wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:The math required to use telesci absolutely does not require external tools
Sure, but why would you ever do it in your head which is slower and has a chance to be incorrect when perfectly efficient and correct tools exist and are incredibly accessible?

Anyways I'm not disagreeing with any of you guys I'm just saying what maintainers would say if you tried to add telesci back
That's a fair criticism. Ideally the chance of messing it up/being slow is what would balance it out, with better telescientists being faster and more accurate. Unfortunately that can never really be the case with tools being readily available (and easy to make).
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #357812

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I want to make a really basic bot that tries to get close to a set target (jesus zimmer) when the target speaks. I can't make it take more than one step towards the target. I also don't know shit about IRL circuits

Code: Select all

start.assembly{{*}}electronic drone=-=electronic drone{{*}}components^%^tesla power relay=-=tesla power relay^%^microphone=-=microphone^%^equal gate=-=equal gate^%^advanced locator=-=advanced locator^%^basic pathfinder=-=basic pathfinder^%^locomotion circuit=-=locomotion circuit^%^tenth-sec delay circuit=-=tenth-sec delay circuit{{*}}values^%^3i1:+:text:+:Jesus Zimmer^%^3i2:+:text:+:Jesus Zimmer^%^4i1:+:text:+:Jesus Zimmer^%^4i2:+:num:+:8^%^6i1:+:num:+:2{{*}}wires^%^3i2=-=2o1^%^5i1=-=4o1^%^6i1=-=5o1^%^2o1=-=3i2^%^4o1=-=5i1^%^5o1=-=6i1^%^2a1=-=3a1^%^3a1=-=2a1^%^3a2=-=4a1^%^4a1=-=3a2^%^4a1=-=7a2^%^4a2=-=5a1^%^5a1=-=4a2^%^5a2=-=6a1^%^6a1=-=5a2^%^6a2=-=7a1^%^7a1=-=6a2^%^7a2=-=4a1{{*}}end
I don't know if they removed the ability to import code to generate the assemply, so here's a gallery with my assembly https://imgur.com/a/00S9n

It hears someone speaking, if it's the target it tries to locate it, if the target is found it calculates the direction, then steps towards that direction. There's where it breaks, I set it to activate a tenth/second delay and then recalculate the location but it just stops.
Onule
Byond Username: Onule

Post by Onule » #357826

Grazyn wrote:I set it to activate a tenth/second delay and then recalculate the location but it just stops.
You need a ticker, not a delay.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #357832

so you can't make it go faster than 1 tile every 2 seconds?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #359269

The turrets don't shoot cyborgs for some reason, I presume the turrets have silicon faction but don't quote me on that

if simply screwdrivering it doesn't fix it, multitooling the open button and then connecting it to the blast door should do it.

EMPs pulse borg wires and can put them into lockdown in one shot if the RNG cooperates and it usually does

Beyond the impossible.

Also it was me who did all of that
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #359276

You always knew, deep down inside what I was. Don't act like this is a surprise for you.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #359281

CosmicScientist wrote:No, no! I won't believe it, I can't believe it!

The bunny is pure!

W- we can move past this. You just can't be that inside!
[youtube]DR7rurcamNo[/youtube]
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #362656

Epinephrine prevents oxygen damage from going above a certain amount and improves your condition if you're in critical, it also has a 1 in 5 chance per tick to reduce your stun and knockout timer and helps with stamina regeneration. If you know you're gonna be in a fight, it's a good idea to dose yourself up with your epipen before hand to give yourself a slight edge.

30u of either will OD you, stick with 29 at most. And it should be difficult for you to lose unless your opponents is well-armed. Tricord has a 4 in 5 chance of healing 1 brute/burn/toxin damage every tick and mixing it with epi will almost make any fight survivable, unless your opponent specifically kills you or you suffer critical bloodloss
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #362664

Atropine is a much stronger version of epinephrine but doesn't have the anti-stun benefits. Ephedrine is the opposite, no crit healing but powerful anti-stun/knockout and stamina regen (also greatly increases your movement speed)
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #364101

How do I increase smoke machine output past 9? Better stock parts?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #364205

CosmicScientist wrote:Can admemes send the escape shuttle back to the station after it leaves for Centcom?

Do built tellyportas work on the shuttle?
Hand teles and tracking beacons don't work. Neither does swarmer teleportation.

Crushed bluespace crystals, Clockwork and Nar'sian teleportation do work and, presumably, any form of teleportation that isn't based upon bluespace.
stoovan
Byond Username: AdolfHonk

Post by stoovan » #364474

Here's a better question.

Can we please get rid of cat ears?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #364506

stoovan wrote:Here's a better question.

Can we please get rid of cat ears?

I know you're saying this in a poor attempt to be funny and/or bait responses, but I'll give you a real answer anyway.

Cat eats/tails are not currently enabled on Sybil, so if they bother you that much you can play on that server instead of Bagil.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #364537

It's because Stoovan likes to act like a dick and bait people and then he wonders why noone likes him.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #365139

Are cryo grenades or pyro grenades useful in any way?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #365142

Swindly wrote:Are cryo grenades or pyro grenades useful in any way?
Pyro grenades heat up their reagents on mixing so you don't need to separate out your pyrotechnics or put in a separate heating reagent. Bluespace beakers filled with blackpowder pyro grenades are very powerful and very spammable, you can easily rig them up with signallers to function like regular bombs as well and just blow holes all across the station's hull.

Cryo grenades I can't think of a real use for
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #365672

who is headmins now
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #365674

geilebeer wrote:who is headmins now
Ausops, Armhulen, and Kor are the current headmins.

Also Kor is the headcoder.
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #370958

where is terry srverr located
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #370971

Just one simple question: Which one of you fuckers let Dante Smith back in? Seriously, he's one of the worst players I've ever had the mispleasure of playing with, and he's back. Which one of you did it?
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #370983

Gourmet wrote:where is terry srverr located
EU
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #370984

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:Just one simple question: Which one of you fuckers let Dante Smith back in? Seriously, he's one of the worst players I've ever had the mispleasure of playing with, and he's back. Which one of you did it?
It was a rousing ban appeal with lots of hard decisions, go see for yourself
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=14706
Spoiler:
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #370986

It was a rousing ban appeal with lots of hard decisions, go see for yourself
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=14706
Well, that's just depressing. Instead of away mission fuckery, he's just rolling miner and doing the same shit again.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #370991

PKPenguin321 wrote:
EU
i ment more specific
FrozenGuy5
Github User
Byond Username: FrozenGuy5
Github Username: praisenarsie

Post by FrozenGuy5 » #371031

Gourmet wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
EU
i ment more specific
ййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййй shitty fucking signatures
Denton

Post by Denton » #372517

Does all alcohol help with surgery or is that just misinformation?
I only see ethanol, sterilizine and miner's salve having this:

Code: Select all

S.success_multiplier = max(0.1*power_multiplier, S.success_multiplier)
Edit: All alcoholic drinks contain ethanol, disregard that
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #372544

How 2 maxcap with nu-atmos??????????
Denton

Post by Denton » #374338

CosmicScientist wrote:Do regular spesssuits protect from high pressure unlike how they do not protect from high temperature?
Yeah, the STOPSPRESSUREDMAGE_1 flag means that they protect from all kinds of pressure damage.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #374365

Which technically shouldn't really work as high pressure requires different kinds of protection than low pressure
Buggy
Byond Username: Buggy1234

Post by Buggy » #374522

Anonmare wrote:Which technically shouldn't really work as high pressure requires different kinds of protection than low pressure
A normal space suit yes, but a "hardsuit" is literally a brand of deep sea diving suits so that seems pretty reasonable.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #376990

This is a stupid question..but how does an Engineering cyborg install APC/Fire Alarm/Air Alarms on its own?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #377003

Gun Hog wrote:This is a stupid question..but how does an Engineering cyborg install APC/Fire Alarm/Air Alarms on its own?
Make the frame out of metal, place it infront of a wall, then, face said wall and hit the frame with a screwdriver and it will snap to the wall. You may need to alt-click the floor to see it.

This also works with security cameras
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #377049

CosmicScientist wrote:rebalance pr incoming
Don't touch my baby gimmick Cosmic, there's nothing more Orwellian than rooms with security cameras on every inch of the walls.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #377169

Malkevin wrote:When I'm running through the hall, and I try to fire my taser it seems the clicks only have around a 30% chance of actually registering, does anyone else get this?
If you have FPS on something else than 0 put it to 0, it won't be as bad.
Polyphynx
Byond Username: Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #378094

How do single tank bombs work?
What I expected was for the mix to ignite, and continue until the tank ruptures normally. What ends up happening is that there's a spark, and the tank just vanishes and let's out the mix for an underwhelming fire.
I've tried oxygen with plasma/tritium in a bunch of different ratios/temperatures, mixes I'd expect to have at least some kind explosion of any kind just does nothing, really. I don't get it
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #378096

Excuse me, this is the simple questions thread. That is not a simple question.
Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #378130

Ah shit
Okay, let me change it to something simpler

Are pineapple Hawaiian pizzas a mistake?
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #378141

In real life no.
In game wew what a meme.

Plasma and oxygen start reacting at 400 degrees. If you fill the can with a mix just below that temp the igniter will push it above and make it explode, but that's just a weak grenade size. I know other people can manage bigger but they are magic.
Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #378153

Nabski wrote:In real life no.
Good one

Isn't it exactly 100C/373.15K they react? That's the thing though, unless I'm missing something, the igniter isn't raising the temperature. It just releases the gases and then lights it. The tank just vanishes
It even makes a tank with nothing in it just vanish.
RobustAndRun
Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Post by RobustAndRun » #378215

Question on the mechanics of pyrosium and cryostalane

Do these chems heat faster and deplete oxygen more rapidly if there's more pyros/cryost present in the container?

Do they heat containers faster if there's less chems in the container, e.g. 50u vs 100u of water?
Polyphynx

Post by Polyphynx » #378720

Polyphynx wrote:How do single tank bombs work?
Well I think I figured it out.
I might be wrong, but it seems like the code for single tank bombs just looks at the temperature of the mix, and the total moles of plasma and oxygen, then does some calculations for the explosion size.
The problem is it's not doing anything with the mix. There's no actual reaction happening, no temperatures rising. It just makes up an explosion size based on volume and some threshold temperature, meaning you can fill a tank with 100% plasma at the highest threshold temp, and get the biggest explosion for some reason. Adding oxygen actually makes the explosion worse/non-existent, and tritium and other gases aren't even taken into account.

RobustAndRun wrote:Question on the mechanics of pyrosium and cryostalane

Do these chems heat faster and deplete oxygen more rapidly if there's more pyros/cryost present in the container?

Do they heat containers faster if there's less chems in the container, e.g. 50u vs 100u of water?
All of the oxygen is depleted instantly on reaction, and the temperature is raised/lowered instantly.
Having less chems makes it heat up/cool down more (again, instantly)
Same with having more of pyros/cryost with more oxygen. Makes the effect stronger (a lot more so than having less of the chem to heat up)
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #379587

Is there any use for forks at all, other than as a weapon?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #379616

darkpaladin109 wrote:Is there any use for forks at all, other than as a weapon?
Eating.
darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #379632

Anonmare wrote:
Eating.
So what foods can you eat with it? Swear it never worked for me.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #379667

darkpaladin109 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
Eating.
you can also use it as a surgery tool, replacing the hemostat or retractor.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #379822

darkpaladin109 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
Eating.
that eggplant dish and cheesecake I think
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #379959

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
darkpaladin109 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
Eating.
that eggplant dish and cheesecake I think
That's a...depressingly small list of foods.