[MrGlasses91] Space-Mime Continuum - permabrigged unfairly

Bob Dobbington
Byond Username: Bob Dobbington

[MrGlasses91] Space-Mime Continuum - permabrigged unfairly

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39348

Byond account and character name: Bob Dobbington [Space-Mime Continuum]
Admin: MrGlasses91
Time incident occured: 10:00 PM PST
Detailed summary: As bored mime, decided to steal the (inoperable without admin intervention) nuke from the Vault. HoS got the nuke back, we ended up speaking later in arrivals, during which the HoS basically told me not to do it again and we parted peaceably. Later on, Norman Phelps (Skyglazer) the Detective comes across me in Central Primary Hallway, pulls out his revolver, shoots several other people trying to shoot me, whereafter I giggle and run the other way as he reloads. I come upon him again a minute later and he's got Beepsky after me. I get dragged around in cuffs, unable to communicate, for about five minutes or so, whereupon he strips and permabrigs me. I hadn't committed any crimes between speaking to the HoS and being set upon by the Detective. In adminhelps, MrGlasses91 ruled this IC. I'm appealing in admin complaints because this is a fairly blatant rule 1 violation, and I feel it reflects a fairly heavy pro-security bias (or at any rate some kind of bias) in the admin who made the decision to sanction completely ruining my round for a harmless prank. Round log from my perspective: http://privatepaste.com/4770f525a5
Game Admin for /tg/station. I usually play Daisy Holmes, the botanist.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Re: [MrGlasses91] Space-Mime Continuum - permabrigged unfair

Post by Hibbles » #39350

I feel somewhat conflicted about this.

One the one hand, nuclear bomb. IC speaking, that should be all the reason somebody needs to put you in Space Guantanamo for ever.

On the other hand, this seems a rather clear and blatant example of 'lol i brig u because i can lololol'. I know most of the time I've seen the crew treat that bomb like a huge paperweight.

I honestly dunno how to feel.
RIP
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #39352

I'll keep this short and simple.

I see the Admin help 'PM to-Admins: Ask the detective why he's arresting me'
And promptly jump over to see what's up. I see the mime in cuffs with the detective pulling him in the brig. Curious myself I PM the detective asking him why the mime is being arrested and brought to the brig.

[00:44:17]ADMIN: PM: MrGlasses91/(Norman Phelps): Hey, can I ask why you're arresting the mime?
[00:44:44]ADMIN: PM: (Norman Phelps)->MrGlasses91: Sure you can, breaking into the vault, stealing the nuke. It was beepsky that got her anyways.

Fair enough? I leave it from there, expecting Bob to get a little bit of time in the brig? A short bit later I get another PM....aaaand the mime is in perma. After going back and forth a bit with both sides, the detective ends up trying to get confirmation to permabrig the mime from the HoS who doesn't respond, and then the captain...
"[00:53:20]PDA: Norman Phelps (PDA: PDA-Norman Phelps (Detective)) sent "I permabrigged the mime for stealing the nuke and breaking into the vault and such, that cool with you?" to PDA-Bones McGee (Captain)
[00:53:30]PDA: Bones McGee (PDA: PDA-Bones McGee (Captain)) sent "Sounds good to me" to PDA-Norman Phelps (Detective)"

From an IC point of view, this is completely valid for somebody in a security position to do. From an OOC point of view, this is a douche thing to do to the mime. As it was an IC issue though, I kept it as that, an IC issue. However, I did want to try and give the mime somewhat of a chance, and forced a prison break event. If you don't know what a prison break event is...it unlocks the brig, opens all of the doors and lockers. You had a perfect opportunity to just leave the brig.
[01:00:53]ADMIN: MrGlasses91 has triggered an event. (Prison Break)

On both sides, the detectives and the mime's, this was kind of shitty.
Last edited by MrGlasses on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39355

If we're going to pretend we're even trying to be an RP server, you shouldn't expect people to just go "A nuke? Yeah no big deal." and let whoever run off with it. Or are we gonna go down that road of "Security shouldn't arrest me for X because its not Y round type!"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39358

Rule 1 trumps roleplay, I thought (or else I could roleplay a paranoid that murders, say, overzealous detectives). There's no way to activate the station nuke short of admin intervention. In addition, as mime, I was completely unable to communicate whatsoever from the moment Beepsky had the cuffs on until several minutes after. Which is a continual problem I have playing mime, security stuncuffing me for whatever and then not uncuffing me for long periods of time. This guy presumably knew that I was not a threat, was non-antag, and removed me from the round in a dickish and unnecessary way. It seems like a pretty clear-cut Rule 1 violation, especially in light of the usual cavalier treatment of the nuke by station crew. Even if he was choosing to RP as if the nuke was harmful, that doesn't trump that OOC he knew I was nonharmful and chose to end my round anyway as non-antag.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39360

Bob Dobbington wrote:There's no way to activate the station nuke short of admin intervention.
And that's metagaming, another rule.
Bob Dobbington wrote:I was completely unable to communicate whatsoever from the moment Beepsky had the cuffs on until several minutes after. Which is a continual problem I have playing mime
Stop playing mime if you can't handle the silence, or break your oath. Theres a button that lets you do it without losing your mime power that never gets used.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39361

I can't metagame in calling a player out for an OOC violation. Rule 1 does not pertain to IC justifications. OOC, the detective knew I was not a threat. OOC, he was a dick anyway. He was a dick IC too, but you're allowed to be a dick IC, as long as you don't cross certain lines like taking people out of the round as non-antag.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #39374

I tbh can agree with permabrig being too much. Nuke sounds fancy on paper but I dont see a reason to perma someone over it ESPECIALLY after the HoS let the person go. I dont think anyone needs be punished, since capt did give permission for it but I dont agree that permabrig was in any sense fair.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39376

Its one of those tough lines to draw, OOC you know that nothing can be done with the nuke, but IC that thing is in a vault for a reason. IC you should be punished SEVERELY for multiple reasons. Just like wearing a Nuke Ops hardsuit you stole off a guy has the very real chance of someone dropping your ass on the spot, though this for slightly different reasons.

I agree perma is too harsh but to say you shouldn't expect it is wrong.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #39391

If you can justify perma IC to be shitty OoC, why is CDB still permabanned from security and command?

Simple: Because brigging someone because "Lelvalid" for the OoC desire to ruin a person's round is against Rule 1.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #39392

Yeah, let's just throw all remnants of our shoddy RP out the window and punish sec for permabrigging mimes who steal nuclear bombs.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #39395

CreationPro wrote:Yeah, let's just throw all remnants of our shoddy RP out the window and punish sec for permabrigging mimes who steal nuclear bombs.
Do you really think that it was about the RP and not about ruining the mime's round because he could?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #39401

Like I said, it was a justified IC action but shitty to do OOC, which is also why I forced the Prison Break event, literally opening the doors to the brig. Mr. Mime had the chance to just walk out...
Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39422

I think you really, really have to stretch to assume that the guy who permabrigged me did it for RP reasons. The guy who permabrigged me was a detective. After cuffing me, he ran around with me in cuffs for a while, and then permabrigged me without ever asking me so much as a single question. If we're using RP to justify his actions, why was I not interrogated? Why was the Detective not interested in WHY I wanted to blow up the station with a nuclear weapon? Seems pretty mysterious. Like, the only "RP" here is the Detective pretending the nuke is dangerous so he could validhunt. The detective wasn't roleplaying in the first place. If the guy had RPd it out properly, it would have likely been a much more fun round. "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR MIME" "..." "WHERE IS THE TARGET" "..." That's not what happened. Detective was not interested in solving the mystery of why I had the nuke, he was interested in permabrigging me because he could.

Regarding the prison break: I was in the middle of reading and responding to ahelps when you buttoned. In addition, had I left, I would have left without any of my stuff, set to arrest, without so much as a fucking ID card, and I'd be right back in perma only now it's justified because I broke out. Like, I keep feeling that if I were to reverse this and randomly murder the Detective as Mime because he does something harmless I don't like, there wouldn't be nearly as much hand-wringing over whether that was in line with my RP vision of artistic silence and I would almost certainly eat a ban. RP isn't a defense to Rule 1 anyway, but even if it were this guy wasn't RPing in the first place.
Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39431

Saegrimr wrote:
Bob Dobbington wrote:I was completely unable to communicate whatsoever from the moment Beepsky had the cuffs on until several minutes after. Which is a continual problem I have playing mime
Stop playing mime if you can't handle the silence, or break your oath. Theres a button that lets you do it without losing your mime power that never gets used.
Why is it that I, playing a mime, get the git gud bullshit but Security isn't expected to do their job correctly? It's possible and in fact pretty easy to hold a prisoner in tempbrig safely without bucklecuffing him to a bed. If the Detective were following standard operating procedure, I should have been put in a tempbrig cell, left uncuffed, and been given access to either my PDA or pen and paper so I could communicate. One message to the HoS could have solved this. Instead the Detective on his own initiative went out of his way to get me permabrigged.
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #39446

Aside from accusing me of having a bias favoring security, what exactly are you trying to get out of this complaint? You might have better luck making a policy discussion thread.
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #39479

That's the kind of attitude that I hate. You steal the nuke because "lelmime", you get permabrigged because "fuck you mime you nuke-stealing fuck" and it somehow devolves into a ban request/admin complaint. It's not enjoyable for neither parties.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #39889

MrGlasses wrote:Aside from accusing me of having a bias favoring security, what exactly are you trying to get out of this complaint? You might have better luck making a policy discussion thread.
Honestly I could give a fuck if dude gets banned at this point or even if mrglasses gets slapped, I just want to stop having my round as mime ruined because sec leaves me fucking cuffed forever and more generally I'm tired of sec being massive shits and getting away with it. A lot of these people seem to really enjoy totally ruining other peoples' rounds for trivial reasons, and it sucks to see admins defending that behavior because "muh immersions." RP has never been a defense to Rule 1 stuff and I think it should stay that way.
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #41265

I'm sticking by my decision that it was an IC issue. Yes, it was shitty, and yes, it was close to breaking rule 1. I'm not, however, going to ban someone or otherwise take action over an IC issue, which it was. I did give you a way out, and you either missed it or refused to acknowledged it. If I see a mime being brigged with it's cuffs on, or it gets ahelped, I'll probably look into it like I did here and act accordingly, spawning them some form of communication for them. If someone is premabrigged for no actual reason, I will take action, as I have done before and continue to do.

I've made a note of what happened on the detective, and if something similar happens in the future, further action will be taken.
scaredofshadows
In Game PermaBanned

Post by scaredofshadows » #41371

MrGlasses wrote:I'm sticking by my decision that it was an IC issue. Yes, it was shitty, and yes, it was close to breaking rule 1. I'm not, however, going to ban someone or otherwise take action over an IC issue, which it was. I did give you a way out, and you either missed it or refused to acknowledged it. If I see a mime being brigged with it's cuffs on, or it gets ahelped, I'll probably look into it like I did here and act accordingly, spawning them some form of communication for them. If someone is premabrigged for no actual reason, I will take action, as I have done before and continue to do.

I've made a note of what happened on the detective, and if something similar happens in the future, further action will be taken.
I agree with how you handled this and have nothing further to add.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #42386

Considering this resolved.
Please PM me if this was done in error.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box