The naming policy IS DUMB

MathFan
Byond Username: FunnyMan2003

The naming policy IS DUMB

Post by MathFan » #406408

Bottom post of the previous page:

So recently I've been asked by admins to change the name of a character "Nyanaroni An'Cheese" because it breaks the naming rule, however I don't see how this does and I believe it falls under minimum effort not excessively OOC. I was told I'm not the only person this applies to despite the fact that another catgirl player Cup Cake is able to keep their name? I've never heard anyone named Cup. At least mine could be argued to be spaceage gibberish. I know that the user who plays Cup Cake was banned for refusing to change the name before, but they were unbanned and continue to play the character. Either you let all slightly stupid names through or you don't. Smell testes are unfair and the rules need to be updated regarding names and enforced on EVERYONE, because smell tests clearly aren't working.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: The naming policy IS DUMB

Post by Nilons » #406722

The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:Would I get booped if I named my ligger "Fucks-That-Ass" ?
yes
Then at WHAT POINT are ligger names "Too silly"? Because I thought X the Y names were okay, but now I am being told that this name is "Too hardcore for the ERP server"

Peanuts!
who made you this way
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #406724

Nilons wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:Would I get booped if I named my ligger "Fucks-That-Ass" ?
yes
Then at WHAT POINT are ligger names "Too silly"? Because I thought X the Y names were okay, but now I am being told that this name is "Too hardcore for the ERP server"

Peanuts!
who made you this way
Oh but a name like "Ostrova of Nanotransen" is fine though

So "X of Y" names are fine, does that mean I can play as "Smith, Human of TGstation"

This name policy is stupid!
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #406726

Nilons wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
yes

Peanuts!
who made you this way
He was bitten by some radioactive poop.
The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Nilons wrote:snip

So "X of Y" names are fine, does that mean I can play as "Smith, Human of TGstation"

>capitalizing /tg/
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #406728

X of Y can totally work fine as long as you can come up with a good reason to justify it and don't put the server name in IC
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #406731

Do Clown names need to follow the naming policy? I feel they should! We should not have some SNOWFLAKE running around the halls with names like "No No Word" or "Beat the Clown"! My immersion is ruined!
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #406734

As I said elsewhere, IRL we see kids everyday with names that only 10 years ago would've have looked outrageously silly. SS13 takes place more than half a millennium from now. Who knows what kind of zany names will people have by then?
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #406737

Grazyn wrote:As I said elsewhere, IRL we see kids everyday with names that only 10 years ago would've have looked outrageously silly. SS13 takes place more than half a millennium from now. Who knows what kind of zany names will people have by then?
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406738

my personal opinion is that if your name
1) aligns with lore
2) doesn't make multiple people cringe from reading it
3) has something to do with your gimmick (that is actually creative)
4) is actually a fucking name to some degree
it should be fine

also sidenote dumb post: ostrich of nanotechnology is a stupid fucking name because it's not a name it's a title, you wouldn't call your local security worker "JOHN OF WALMART" would you?
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #406739

I would absolutely call a fat mall cop "JOHN OF WALMART"
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #406745

The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Nilons wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
yes

Peanuts!
who made you this way

much like your posting
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #406748

SpaceInaba wrote:my personal opinion is that if your name
1) aligns with lore
it should be fine

also sidenote dumb post: ostrich of nanotechnology is a stupid fucking name because it's not a name it's a title, you wouldn't call your local security worker "JOHN OF WALMART" would you?
ss13 =/= real life

you should know this
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #406749

Either set a hardline or let us enjoy when the nepotism and favoritism run amok past their dark cloaks and stupid threads like these are made because of it.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #406756

Sorry corporate adoption is sick lore and Ostrava stays
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406757

Nilons wrote:
SpaceInaba wrote:my personal opinion is that if your name
1) aligns with lore
it should be fine

ss13 =/= real life

you should know this
yeah ok orangutan of namibia
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406759

my single most favorite name of any character I've ever seen is "Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons" which is a human and it's hilarious to me
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406761

SpaceInaba wrote:my single most favorite name of any character I've ever seen is "Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons" which is a human and it's hilarious to me
reminds me of Raised-By-Lizards and Actually-A-Human
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EvilJackCarver
Byond Username: EvilJackCarver
Github Username: EvilJackCarver

Post by EvilJackCarver » #406763

I think I know what my next gimmick human name is going to be for a couple of rounds
R. Andreas Spitzer or SpitzOS (or a random-named human) ingame. Usually somewhere in engineering, or pAI.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #406774

SpaceInaba wrote:my single most favorite name of any character I've ever seen is "Adopted-For-Tax-Reasons" which is a human and it's hilarious to me
holy shit that's good
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #406779

Shaps-cloud wrote:Sorry corporate adoption is sick lore and Ostrava stays
[youtube]mOEr7kiysrE[/youtube]
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
MathFan

Post by MathFan » #406783

PKPenguin321 wrote:When I was first born, I was different. I was more aerodynamic than the other babies. More slippery, too. When I left the womb, I came out flying. Apparently I was also bouncier than the other babies, because I then ricocheted off of the walls for what my parents recall as "a good five minutes." This of course left me horribly disfigured, as a baby should not suffer that many high velocity blunt impacts. My face was comparable to that of a bowl of mac n cheese, and still is to this day. I was undateable. Unfriendable, even. My face was so incredibly revolting that in a last ditch attempt to look cuter I decided to have genetically modified cat ears and a tail grown on me. However, I also happen to have suffered severe brain damage, which has caused me to become incredibly mentally deficient, and in my haze of stupidity I overlooked the fact that cat ears do not make the face look better. They do not even draw attention from the face. I have since suffered many hardships due to my various and incredibly revolting disabilities. If you asked what the hardest one was, though, I'd tell you it was when I started to get called Nyanaroni An'Cheese.
Glad you understand... This is the deep backstory I'm going for here, Nyanaroni DOES and always has suffered from crippling disabilities...
MathFan

Post by MathFan » #406784

Shezza wrote:Also

>2003

We know morty is 15

We know he used accounts like Futafan

2018-15=2003

Hello morty?
Don't know what you're getting at but my Byond username is intentionally VERY shitty including the "2003" thing
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406786

i hate your avatar so I hate you too sorry
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
MathFan

Post by MathFan » #406787

imblyings wrote:maybe they play a catgirl

maybe Mac is a boring name
It's supposed to be a non-pun.
Digdugxx
Byond Username: Digdugxx

Post by Digdugxx » #406800

TFW someone actually tries to defend your degenerate ass old name
Spoiler:
Qbopper wrote:One of the few posts on the forums to make me genuinely laugh out loud, well done
:]]]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #406817

The entire problem of this policy was enumerated, it's not enforced by the majority of the admin team because (speaking personally) it's a horrible policy and I won't ruin peoples rounds just because they have a funky name. (Excluding those who name themselves hitler or stalin, like come on it's been done, although there’s' RP potential to play someone unfortunately named Hitler).

Only admins I ever see enforcing this are the "/tg/'s RP needs to be higher group" who are bananas god rest their souls

The headadmin team seem to realise this but don't appear to care, or only plan to double down which seems insane to me.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #406825

I'm ready to wrap this thread up but discussion is still underway so just complain for awhile longer until a decision is made ty
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #406828

The only thing worse than having a garbage name like nyanaroni or cup cake is trying to justify it with "BUT MY DEEP BACKSTORY WHERE MY PARENTS HATED ME..."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #406831

Yeah! Clearly our name policy isn't deep enough!

We should either force random names or have you fill out an ingame birth certificuit to play characters with names, and then INSTANT BAN players who dare step away from the name policy!

Then say that we let the name "Cup Cake" slide as a joke!
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #406833

What about flypeople? We literally eat vomit, so I feel we should get extra slack on shitty names.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #406843

oranges wrote:The entire problem of this policy was enumerated, it's not enforced by the majority of the admin team because (speaking personally) it's a horrible policy and I won't ruin peoples rounds just because they have a funky name. (Excluding those who name themselves hitler or stalin, like come on it's been done, although there’s' RP potential to play someone unfortunately named Hitler).

Only admins I ever see enforcing this are the "/tg/'s RP needs to be higher group" who are bananas god rest their souls

The headadmin team seem to realise this but don't appear to care, or only plan to double down which seems insane to me.
Why would the man who says that headmins shouldn't step into policy that is enforced inconsistently say that?

You've literarly said before that headmins shouldn't step into policy because they will inevitably make inconsistently enforced policy.
EvilJackCarver
Byond Username: EvilJackCarver
Github Username: EvilJackCarver

Post by EvilJackCarver » #406851

OhChildflayer wrote:... we should get extra slack on shitty names.
Childflayer I swear to fuck
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #406854

We offer a lot more flavors that aren't naming policy here at the /tg/ ice cream parlor...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #406861

EvilJackCarver wrote:
OhChildflayer wrote:... we should get extra slack on shitty names.
Childflayer I swear to fuck
:)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #406864

CitrusGender wrote:
oranges wrote:The entire problem of this policy was enumerated, it's not enforced by the majority of the admin team because (speaking personally) it's a horrible policy and I won't ruin peoples rounds just because they have a funky name. (Excluding those who name themselves hitler or stalin, like come on it's been done, although there’s' RP potential to play someone unfortunately named Hitler).

Why would the man who says that headmins shouldn't step into policy that is enforced inconsistently say that?

You've literarly said before that headmins shouldn't step into policy because they will inevitably make inconsistently enforced policy.
The point you should have taken away from that discussion is that policy will never be consistently enforced because admins are only human, that is why it's very important to have a robust appeals process (which we do) and that trying to overly heavily handedly prescribe policy (like say the naming policy) will only cause trouble.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #406893

Shaps-cloud wrote:I still fail to see why Ostrava of Nanotrasen is a bad name, he could have gotten that by being some orphan who was corporately adopted by NT, is it just that one person didn't like it any everyone else piled on it?

But yes the name in the OP is pretty bad
it seems a bit egregious when pretty much every other person in the game tends to use a firstname lastname/verbs-the-noun and it sticks out
Limey wrote:its too late.
OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #406913

Qbopper wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:I still fail to see why Ostrava of Nanotrasen is a bad name, he could have gotten that by being some orphan who was corporately adopted by NT, is it just that one person didn't like it any everyone else piled on it?

But yes the name in the OP is pretty bad
it seems a bit egregious when pretty much every other person in the game tends to use a firstname lastname/verbs-the-noun and it sticks out
In all seriousness, who fucking cares? Honestly, if it sticks out, so what? I get why "Alecifnarlyoistarian Jasmeorlamphromatosis" is not OK. I get why "KILLALLTHEJEWS ALLTHETIME" is not OK. But, why does it matter if someone wants to be called Cup Cake, or Ham Burger? I'm really not trying to be an ass, but we're on a space station where wizards and shit are the norm, it just seems like this is needlessly splitting hairs.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #406922

would you accept someone who calls himself PIZZA DOG (all caps included)?

point being, the problem is finding out the exact line between acceptable and unacceptable and the closer we get to it the more likely the thread is to devolve into shitposting
judging by the last few times this kind of thread has popped up usually initiated by people on the naming rules are for cucks side, presumably to leave the status quo unchanged

also I googled the more interesting name in your post on a whim
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #406925

DemonFiren wrote:would you accept someone who calls himself PIZZA DOG (all caps included)?

point being, the problem is finding out the exact line between acceptable and unacceptable and the closer we get to it the more likely the thread is to devolve into shitposting
judging by the last few times this kind of thread has popped up usually initiated by people on the naming rules are for cucks side, presumably to leave the status quo unchanged

also I googled the more interesting name in your post on a whim
I don't care if someone names themselves PIZZA DOG. If I have to mention them over the radio, it takes almost zero extra effort to say their name. Side note: What about the more interesting name? Was it because it was mine?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #406929

Geez the line is really thin and rulings are inconsistent if admins are warning people named NYANARONI AN'CHEESE

It's all or nothing folks, don't dare call yourself Brad Wurst because there's zero tolerance for food names

also
Nilons wrote:Why do people immediately jump to "YEAH WELL ILL PLAY A GUY NAMED BIG FUCKING IDIOT IF YOU DONT MAKE STRICTER POLICY" every time one of these threads happens
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #406930

DemonFiren wrote:would you accept someone who calls himself PIZZA DOG (all caps included)?
Pizza dog
Pizza dog
Put him in the oven and watch him grow
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #406953

literally how hard is it to choose a name that sounds like a name and not an aol instant messenger handle
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #406958

bandit wrote:literally how hard is it to choose a name that sounds like a name and not an aol instant messenger handle
Sure, that's not hard. At what point do you guys define aol instant messenger handle?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406964

Grazyn wrote:It's all or nothing folks, don't dare call yourself Brad Wurst because there's zero tolerance for food names
this is bait right
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #406966

Conchita Wurst is an actual name. It would get you banned on /tg/ if the zero policy folks had it their way.

How about admins use common sense instead of trying to regulate everything because otherwise some dimwit will join the server as TurboNigger69 to make a point?
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #406967

Grazyn wrote:Conchita Wurst is an actual name.
That's a drag queen stage name.

You're talking about Thomas Neuwirth.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #406970

Whatever, it's a first name last name and only the last name is a reference to food. The sexual innuendo is also lost if you don't play an actual bearded female character. Banning it because FOOD NAME as someone is suggesting here is some zero policy bullshit that shouldn't have a place on this server.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #406972

you remind me of op because your avatar sucks so I'm going to not respond to you anymore because you're dumb
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #406975

And what about Clown Names? Sure, "DICKFARTPISS" shoulden't be allowed, but how about food names for clowns?

Or should clowns just use the randomly generated names?
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #406982

Well shucks, seems we need a review of naming policy. But hopefully admins actually collaborate and speak with eachother and players to get an easy and defined policy.
Oh wait i tried that once and it was laughed at.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #406983

I should change my name to Affirmative-Action-Hiree
--Crocodillo

ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #406992

I used to play Ayl Mao and it was brought up in a thread once over its terribleness. Outside of that, nothing ever came of it, either in game or OOC.
I've since moved on to equally terrible if not worse names.

Just live and let live. Existing policy (first name last name phonetically sound) is fine.