The naming policy IS DUMB

MathFan
Byond Username: FunnyMan2003

The naming policy IS DUMB

Post by MathFan » #406408

Bottom post of the previous page:

So recently I've been asked by admins to change the name of a character "Nyanaroni An'Cheese" because it breaks the naming rule, however I don't see how this does and I believe it falls under minimum effort not excessively OOC. I was told I'm not the only person this applies to despite the fact that another catgirl player Cup Cake is able to keep their name? I've never heard anyone named Cup. At least mine could be argued to be spaceage gibberish. I know that the user who plays Cup Cake was banned for refusing to change the name before, but they were unbanned and continue to play the character. Either you let all slightly stupid names through or you don't. Smell testes are unfair and the rules need to be updated regarding names and enforced on EVERYONE, because smell tests clearly aren't working.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Re: The naming policy IS DUMB

Post by Alipheese » #406982

Well shucks, seems we need a review of naming policy. But hopefully admins actually collaborate and speak with eachother and players to get an easy and defined policy.
Oh wait i tried that once and it was laughed at.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #406983

I should change my name to Affirmative-Action-Hiree
--Crocodillo

ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #406992

I used to play Ayl Mao and it was brought up in a thread once over its terribleness. Outside of that, nothing ever came of it, either in game or OOC.
I've since moved on to equally terrible if not worse names.

Just live and let live. Existing policy (first name last name phonetically sound) is fine.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #406999

I just want to know if I can name my clown "Head of Security"
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407002

Clowns and mimes are exempted from naming policy
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #407003

false
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #407005

oranges wrote:
CitrusGender wrote:
oranges wrote:The entire problem of this policy was enumerated, it's not enforced by the majority of the admin team because (speaking personally) it's a horrible policy and I won't ruin peoples rounds just because they have a funky name. (Excluding those who name themselves hitler or stalin, like come on it's been done, although there’s' RP potential to play someone unfortunately named Hitler).

Only admins I ever see enforcing this are the "/tg/'s RP needs to be higher group" who are bananas god rest their souls

The headadmin team seem to realise this but don't appear to care, or only plan to double down which seems insane to me.
Why would the man who says that headmins shouldn't step into policy that is enforced inconsistently say that?

You've literarly said before that headmins shouldn't step into policy because they will inevitably make inconsistently enforced policy.
The point you should have taken away from that discussion is that policy will never be consistently enforced because admins are only human, that is why it's very important to have a robust appeals process (which we do) and that trying to overly heavily handedly prescribe policy (like say the naming policy) will only cause trouble.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #407009

Is Biggus Dickus an ok name? I have a very good friend in Rome nnamed Biggus Dickus.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #407011

if you're a clown or you roleplay as a roman legionnaire I'd personally let it fly
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #407054

Grazyn wrote:Clowns and mimes are exempted from naming policy
Realtalk I think that's going too far. I don't know what the line should be, but we shoulden't be allowing clown names like "Killall Jews" or "Hitler Didnothingwrong" or "Tranny Dicks"

"Bigus Dickus" should be fine though since they should have a much lax policy and that is a funny name
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #407061

The policy should be whether most admins think it's too dumb to stay
EvilJackCarver
Byond Username: EvilJackCarver
Github Username: EvilJackCarver

Post by EvilJackCarver » #407064

Lazengann wrote:The policy should be whether most admins think it's too dumb to stay
If that's the case, Norville is right out (like, zoinks, Scoob).
R. Andreas Spitzer or SpitzOS (or a random-named human) ingame. Usually somewhere in engineering, or pAI.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #407065

Lazengann wrote:The policy should be whether most admins think it's too dumb to stay
This, just write as something like: Names are decided on a case-by-case basis, if the admins that are currently around to make the decision decide that your name is too dumb / doesn't pass the entertaining enough / named in bad faith check, welp too bad, please change it. Just add a note to the player along with their name so that if they've been asked to change it already, if the issue comes up again the online admins at the time can see that it was decided to be allowed or changed, and defer to that judgement. If you feel that it wasn't fair that you got certain bias from the people that were on at the time to make the decision, hey maybe don't toe the line so hard that you need someone to judge your name in the first place, if you wanna stand out with a special name that goes against normal naming conventions, gotta take the exposure that gives you.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #407069

Floiven wrote:
This, just write as something like: Names are decided on a case-by-case basis, if the admins that are currently around to make the decision decide that your name is too dumb / doesn't pass the entertaining enough / named in bad faith check, welp too bad, please change it. Just add a note to the player along with their name so that if they've been asked to change it already, if the issue comes up again the online admins at the time can see that it was decided to be allowed or changed, and defer to that judgement. If you feel that it wasn't fair that you got certain bias from the people that were on at the time to make the decision, hey maybe don't toe the line so hard that you need someone to judge your name in the first place, if you wanna stand out with a special name that goes against normal naming conventions, gotta take the exposure that gives you.
That's pretty much already the case.
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required and no honorifics are allowed. Nicknames in the middle are ok. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame.
However here we are.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #407080

"nyanaroni" is hot fucking garbage and not even remotely a name, while I could see shitty parents with the last name Cake calling their daughter "Cup Cake" pretty easily.

I play as Max Imumfuhk tho so
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #407090

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:"nyanaroni" is hot fucking garbage and not even remotely a name, while I could see shitty parents with the last name Cake calling their daughter "Cup Cake" pretty easily.

I play as Max Imumfuhk tho so
But see its a RACE name! Much like how a clown can be called "Honkiedoodles" or a ligger can be named "Poons-Dat-Poon"!

Edit: What next, can I not name my chef Hawt Dawg?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #407257

Anyone unironically posting in this thread thinking "if your name even looks like or sounds like food you're getting banned :^)" is retarded and needs to stop posting in bad faith.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407261

cedarbridge wrote:Anyone unironically posting in this thread thinking "if your name even looks like or sounds like food you're getting banned :^)" is retarded and needs to stop posting in bad faith.
So is Brad Wurst allowed? What's your ruling?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #407265

Grazyn wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Anyone unironically posting in this thread thinking "if your name even looks like or sounds like food you're getting banned :^)" is retarded and needs to stop posting in bad faith.
So is Brad Wurst allowed? What's your ruling?
Sure, why wouldn't it be?
EvilJackCarver
Byond Username: EvilJackCarver
Github Username: EvilJackCarver

Post by EvilJackCarver » #407272

BRB, naming my character Geladene Kartoffel.*

Shitposting aside, where in the sand is the line drawn between "'Cup Cake', that name's fine, I can dig that" and "'Nyanaroni An'Cheese'? Time for an ID-ban"? While I personally despise the latter, it honestly seems like something a twenty-something catgirl mum would name a kid whose surname is going to be 'AnCheese'.

*(German: 'Loaded potato")
R. Andreas Spitzer or SpitzOS (or a random-named human) ingame. Usually somewhere in engineering, or pAI.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #407275

My favourite part of all of these threads is the eighteen pages of bikeshedding over what a bunch of randoms consider a good name.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #407297

t. Reginald Spessmen
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #407299

Putting Space in your name automatically absolves you of punishment. Should have been Nyanaroni An'Spacecheese
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #407845

Saegrimr wrote:Putting Space in your name automatically absolves you of punishment. Should have been Nyanaroni An'Spacecheese
hahahahaAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #407865

Would the name "Fish Stinkvagina" be valid?
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #407866

can we please just delete posts that are going IS X A GOOD NAME ADMONGS
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407868

SpaceInaba wrote:can we please just delete posts that are going IS X A GOOD NAME ADMONGS
>clear naming policy is dumb and everything must be left to the whims of the admin currently online when you join
>can't even ask admins preemptively whether your name is kosher or not in the thread created precisely to discuss naming policy, you must wait until you're appearance banned in game

not talking about obvious bait names ofc
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #407869

ask about it in game and stop clogging up policy with posts that don't contribute
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #407881

all I get from this thread is that no one agrees on a common policy, some put Nyanaroni and Cup Cake on the same level, some advocate for zero tolerance, some allow anything as long as it's funny (to them), some say that nicknames are allowed, some say they are not and so on

It is only fair that people bring up specific examples to get at least a ruling about those since anything else is vague and fuzzy
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #408025

Grazyn wrote:all I get from this thread is that no one agrees on a common policy, some put Nyanaroni and Cup Cake on the same level, some advocate for zero tolerance, some allow anything as long as it's funny (to them), some say that nicknames are allowed, some say they are not and so on

It is only fair that people bring up specific examples to get at least a ruling about those since anything else is vague and fuzzy
So what you're saying is that people need to rules lawyer LITERALLY every rule in the game (including "don't use stupid names that aren't actually names") and that these needs lead to endless bikeshedding. Color me surprised.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #408041

if every admin has a diferent interpretation of such a rule then it really needs to be looked at

Are we not going to allow silly names or are we going to just give a shrug so long as the names not an edgelord offensive-name (so no "Gorrilla Niggur" or "Adolf Hitler") or phonetically unviable (so no "slkgg gvbvbc")
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #408045

I don't think a name being dumb should be the criteria, Ive known people with some dumb fucking names. For example, Harold Balls is a real person
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #408055

We're going in circles.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #408078

Nilons wrote:I don't think a name being dumb should be the criteria, Ive known people with some dumb fucking names. For example, Harold Balls is a real person
Gay Bowser is technically somebody's name in America, but I'll still ban you for using it.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #408088

cedarbridge wrote:
Nilons wrote:I don't think a name being dumb should be the criteria, Ive known people with some dumb fucking names. For example, Harold Balls is a real person
Gay Bowser is technically somebody's name in America, but I'll still ban you for using it.
Why are the names in the US more silly than the crazy space station tho
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #408090

Lazengann wrote:t. Reginald Spessmen
Yeah thats what I mean its a fucking stupid policy I've had that dumbass name for like six years and no one has said a word to me but something equally stupid isn't allowed because ??? so everyone just tries to brainstorm where the line is but there is no line it's just at the whim of the admin it's so incredibly inconsistent and stupid to even bother trying to enforce that it's pointless.

OOC names are covered by no OOC in IC. Why does it need to extend further beyond that? Every time we have this thread it's an endless cycle of "this is good and this is bad and these arbitrary standards are actually VERY EASY if you use common sense by reading my mind GOD its so SIMPLE"
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408117

cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:all I get from this thread is that no one agrees on a common policy, some put Nyanaroni and Cup Cake on the same level, some advocate for zero tolerance, some allow anything as long as it's funny (to them), some say that nicknames are allowed, some say they are not and so on

So what you're saying is that people need to rules lawyer LITERALLY every rule in the game (including "don't use stupid names that aren't actually names") and that these needs lead to endless bikeshedding. Color me surprised.
Actually the opposite, I'd rather not have a clear cut name policy because common sense should prevail, but the amount of people who use shitty names to prove a point or argue in bad faith that Nyanaroni is the same as Cup Cake is skyrocketing.

Also, "bringing up specific examples doesn't contribute, ask admins in game" is a pointless thing to say, it could be applied to every single policy thread, examples aren't bikeshedding if there's no agreement on the policy
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408127

Grazyn wrote:or argue in bad faith that Nyanaroni is the same as Cup Cake is skyrocketing.
Welcome to subjectivity, dumbass. I'm not going to listen to lizards here telling me how good their fetish is either but they'll swear up and down it's fine.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408132

I have no doubt whatsoever that those denouncing Cup Cake and using Nyanaroni as an argument don't care about naming policy and are just the usual anti-cat circlejerk
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408133

Pinning things on a boogeyman doesn't stop your opinion from being any less subjective.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408134

Saegrimr wrote:Pinning things on a boogeyman doesn't stop your opinion from being any less subjective.
Please tell me that you seriously believe that the guy who joined as NYANARONI AN' FUCKING CHEESE didn't do that just to prove a point, specifically against Cup Cake.

All I'm asking for is to outright ban this sort of people without giving them the soapbox they want to sparkle a useless and ultimately endless policy discussion
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408138

How does that make Cup Cake less of a stupid name?
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #408139

Can I name my character Fish Stinkvagina? No no! Its a RACE name! You see... She's a feminist from Planet Pink
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408140

Saegrimr wrote:How does that make Cup Cake less of a stupid name?
Have you ever interacted with cup cake in game? It's a whimsical "lolrandom" character which may be annoying but it's at least a honest attempt at playing the game and the name fits that character, just like other silly names that are allowed because they're either very old players like Spessmen or play an actual interesting character. Compare it to someone who chooses the shittiest name possible to bait a ban so that they can open a policy thread. This is a toxic behaviour that shouldn't be encouraged. My thoughts can be summarized by this post:
Nilons wrote:Why do people immediately jump to "YEAH WELL ILL PLAY A GUY NAMED BIG FUCKING IDIOT IF YOU DONT MAKE STRICTER POLICY" every time one of these threads happens
Instead here we are, humoring and validating those rabble-rousers and their baits
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408143

Grazyn wrote:Have you ever interacted with cup cake in game? It's a whimsical "lolrandom" character which may be annoying but it's at least a honest attempt at playing the game and the name fits that character
You bring up Nilons as if that's not exactly what Cup Cake is doing without the extra stipulation of they're doing it to prove a point. They use a blatantly trash name but you're trying to defend it with MUH RP AND MUH CHARACTER.
I can play BIG FAGGOT too and be the most helpful person on the station but that doesn't make the name any less stupid and come up with a retarded backstory about how my parents hated me so they named me BIG FAGGOT.
Let's take the strawman even further, what if I just randomly kill Cup Cake every round as a nonantag because my backstory a cupcake raped my family and killed my dog. Wait that doesn't fucking work because its in the rules.

You calling out "I bet it's just those anti-cat fags" is even more cringe inducing because it looks more like "I gotta white knight my fellow cat friends", so thanks for bringing in-game race politics into a thread about rules.

Also no, i've never interacted with them beyond seeing their name on the radio and thinking who the fuck let that slide. Nyanaroni is just as stupid.

Also brb putting some fat titties on my avatar to scream and protest against whatever abomination you have as yours.

It's all still subjective. Fucking idiot.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408145

Wow me mentioning cats really pushed you over the edge. My fault, shouldn't have done that.

We actually had staple characters in the past like Big Fucking Baby and others with titles in their name who all wouldn't be allowed under SUPER STRICT POLICY. So yes, having a somewhat interesting character seems to matter. If you want to play a shitty name put minimum effort in it, something that Nyanaroni clearly didn't do.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408146

No you coming off as a smug prick that you exposed "the usual anti-cat circlejerk" like that's the only reason this is an issue is why I called you out. Pull your head out of your avatar's retarded western faux-anime titties and read.

Cup Cake is a shitty name.
Nyanaroni is a shitty name.
Big Fucking Baby is a shitty name.
Whatever of Nanotrasen is a pretty lame name, not the worst, but is specifically against the rules as written.

The fuck does your cat politics have to do with any of this?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #408147

Nyanaroni is clearly a jab at cats, what else would it be? Also Big Fucking Baby had been allowed for years, same with Ostrava, Allad, Phoneti and every kind of permutation of the shittiest lizard names ever. But suddenly everyone is up in arms over Cup Cake like it was the straw that broke the camel's back, surely it can't be just because they're a cat right?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #408148

No its not because they're a cat you colossal retard.
Jesus christ I was running out of ways to sound angry to make this dumb rant look funnier to whoever came by it but you're actually kind of pissing me off with your stupidity.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #408149

Grazyn, while ignorant, is probably deliberately feigning utter cluelessness in order to make you lose your shit, thus lose the argument, thus increase the chances of those cancerous names staying.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #408150

captain sawrge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:t. Reginald Spessmen
Yeah thats what I mean its a fucking stupid policy I've had that dumbass name for like six years and no one has said a word to me but something equally stupid isn't allowed because ??? so everyone just tries to brainstorm where the line is but there is no line it's just at the whim of the admin it's so incredibly inconsistent and stupid to even bother trying to enforce that it's pointless.

OOC names are covered by no OOC in IC. Why does it need to extend further beyond that? Every time we have this thread it's an endless cycle of "this is good and this is bad and these arbitrary standards are actually VERY EASY if you use common sense by reading my mind GOD its so SIMPLE"
these threads are just good fun