Roundstart Side Antagonist Spawn

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Erik489
Byond Username: Erik489

Roundstart Side Antagonist Spawn

Post by Erik489 » #411852

Would it be problematic if side antags that are not station ending (blob, Xenos, slaughter demons, etc.) would replace one of the normal traitor rolls? It sounds like a good idea instead of relying on RNG and bugging the admins for Morph or Revenant for the thousandth time. What are your thoughts?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Roundstart Side Antagonist Spawn

Post by Cobby » #411862

Replace it with one of the Ling roles then we’re talking lol
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #411867

Cobby wrote:Replace it with one of the Ling roles then we’re talking lol
It's not a bad idea, I think we need a way to incorporate more of the lesser seen roles in rounds.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #411996

Erik489 wrote:
Cobby wrote:Replace it with one of the Ling roles then we’re talking lol
It's not a bad idea, I think we need a way to incorporate more of the lesser seen roles in rounds.
We definitely do. People meta the shit out of game modes. The system has worked for a long time, but such a static system really makes people powergame. Although rather than just adding other less station-destroying antags into the round, id rather have a system to classify the types of antag and their severity, then have game modes based around that. So you would have a station disrupting-level antag as the main round threat, but also some lower level antags spawn randomly. Something like dividing traitor into multiple levels. Spies that are just after specific things, whilst not having a license to kill. Saboteurs that need to force an evac of the station by destroying various systems as non-lethally as possible. Then the highest danger level would be traitors/ops, sent in to cause as much damage death as possible.

In a single game mode, you would only have one type of the highest threat. At the same time, any amount of lesser antags can be spawned. Anything from spies to lings or just a space spider infestation in maint somewhere. Rather than having single game modes that everyone can powergame.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #412011

>war ops
>Saboteur McGreytide is the first to get AA
>rushes armory, takes everything useful
>spaces it
>snips the wire to cargo
>rushes cap headset, buys syndie key and agent card
>asks ops to take them when they nuke the station
>gets a space suit, hides, taunts the crew over common
>ops arrive, leave for op ship
>ops win because no weapons
>saboteur escapes and greentexts too
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #412045

syndie keys for traitors were a mistake
but that would be a well-earned victory
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #412087

If someone made a traitor+ mode that spawned traitors + group of lings/blob/abductors/ninja/nightmare etc, or some combination of them with a points system I'd merge it
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #412094

Isn't Traitorling recognized as pure cancer already?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #412096

Kor wrote:If someone made a traitor+ mode that spawned traitors + group of lings/blob/abductors/ninja/nightmare etc, or some combination of them with a points system I'd merge it
If you mean roundstart then I don't think anyone wants to fight the double esword murderboner ft. blob and a space ninja at roundstart. Fighting a blob and space ninja is easy in terms of knowing that they can't just pull an unknown deus ex machinia out of their fucking ass unless the admins will it, but a bunch of traitors can be the most random thing ever. You could have the most friendliest people ever as traitor which could make the round last a hour+ or the most robust assholes as traitor which basically requires the round to end in 20 minutes because the station just got fucking destroyed by them.

If you mean later on in the round then isn't this just normal traitor with random events?
D&B says, "Isn't Traitorling recognized as pure cancer already?'
I would hope that if such a system was in place then lings would be the rarest or second rarest since it's an actual antag and not even a side antag which defeats the purpose of roundstart side antag spawns.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #412100

Blob as a round type was horrible and I will stand by that for as long as I live. The worst part was mulliganning into traitors when the whole crew already has laser guns and everyone just wants the round to be over due to massive amounts of station damage.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #412113

BeeSting12 wrote:Blob as a round type was horrible and I will stand by that for as long as I live. The worst part was mulliganning into traitors when the whole crew already has laser guns and everyone just wants the round to be over due to massive amounts of station damage.
Mulligan is shit for all modes with one primary antag.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #412237

The whole reason I created this thread is that I believe TC trades should be for gimmicks that require help from the admin or admins online, and to help diversify rounds instead of people figuring out that there are just traitors and changlings at the first sight of shenanigans. It’ll really help capture that feeling of paranoia and unpredictability that makes SS13 replayable over and over each time.
the_shrouded_lord
Byond Username: Theshroudedlord

Post by the_shrouded_lord » #412247

gotta agree, traitor gets stale, and its annoying to just ask for an antag change, like it feels like it gets old, and changeling can get old just as well. It'd actually be nice to play something different for a change
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #412270

the_shrouded_lord wrote:gotta agree, traitor gets stale, and its annoying to just ask for an antag change, like it feels like it gets old, and changeling can get old just as well. It'd actually be nice to play something different for a change
It would also give the opportunity for people to gain experience for other antag roles. Plenty of times I seen dead chat have a conundrum because a space ninja doesn’t know the controls or because of some other reason.
the_shrouded_lord
Byond Username: Theshroudedlord

Post by the_shrouded_lord » #412289

Erik489 wrote:
the_shrouded_lord wrote:gotta agree, traitor gets stale, and its annoying to just ask for an antag change, like it feels like it gets old, and changeling can get old just as well. It'd actually be nice to play something different for a change
It would also give the opportunity for people to gain experience for other antag roles. Plenty of times I seen dead chat have a conundrum because a space ninja doesn’t know the controls or because of some other reason.
It could also allow previously buggy side antags (I'm looking at you Nightmare) to gain much needed updates as a larger portion of the playerbase uses and grows used to and potentially fond of them. I'd absolutely ADORE seeing nightmare and devil reworks that make them actually viable.
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #412689

Kor wrote:If someone made a traitor+ mode that spawned traitors + group of lings/blob/abductors/ninja/nightmare etc, or some combination of them with a points system I'd merge it
I don’t know much about coding, but how hard would it be to implement something like that?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #412748

Erik489 wrote:
I don’t know much about coding, but how hard would it be to implement something like that?
Not too hard since everything has been made into datums (but not trivial)
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.