/tg/station P&P Night

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.

Hey there /tg/station! Play games?

I would be interested in a traditional games night!
24%
23%
23%
I would not be interested in a traditional games night!
No votes
No votes
No votes
I would be interested, but [SYSTEM] or [PLAYSTYLE] isn't my choice. (Please elaborate in post)
1%
I would be interested, but [SYSTEM] or [PLAYSTYLE] isn't my choice. (Please elaborate in post)
1%
1%
I would be interested, but I don't have the time.
4%
3%
3%
I would be interested, but I don't know how to play these games.
6%
6%
6%
I would be interested, but I don't want to play with tg-station and/or you as the DM.
No votes
I would be interested, but I don't want to play with tg-station and/or you as the DM.
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 110

Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

/tg/station P&P Night

Post by Subtle » #41439

So here's the deal, folks. I've got an Ultimate license for a program called Fantasy Grounds 2; which essentially translates to having an idiot-proof (if inflexible) internet Pen & Paper simulator for some of the more popular systems. Pathfinder and DnD3.5 come to mind, since these are all I can really GM anyway. I just felt like making a really bad purchase one night.

"But what does this have to do with me, you rambling fruit," you ask? Well. This license also allows me to have any old Joe connect and use a free version of the program. Nobody I know plays tabletop anymore, so I'd like to invite my friends at /tg/station for a few rotating-seat one-shots. I don't have the time to run a full campaign for everybody, but what I can do is offer an amusing night twice a month or so to goof off in whatever manner seems appropriate. I mean, this is /tg/ right? So with that out of the way, my questions are thus.

Would you play a /tg/station game night in these systems? Does anybody actually want to do this? Do you mind low-power, high lethality games with episodic plots?

Assuming there's some interest I'll write up a scenario and we'll hash out a time to play the week/weekend of the 21st. If it works out it may become a thing!

(I'd like to keep the party to about a maximum of five individuals per session. Larger than that and we spend more time waiting than playing)
Subtle

Re: /tg/station P&P Night

Post by Subtle » #41440

Reserved for the actual game and connection information.
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #41484

Play me Warhammurs 40k through internets.
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #41588

Interested, sure, but I dunno about Pathfinder/3.5. Not my thing.
Will this be a quick-and-dirty "lets play some games" kind of thing, or will it be more thought out?
Either works for me, but I'd prefer the first option for simplicity and convenience.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #41675

Sounds fun; although from what I remember of last time we tried this, organization is a constant nightmare, especially if people aren't from similar time zones.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #41771

The other problem the last few times were people just flat out disappearing. We had one game of Dark Heresy where the guy running it just stopped turning up. I'd love to play a game again since the /tg/ crowd we get for them is fun.
(Anyone remember Black Stig wrecking our shit in said Dark Heresy game?)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #41807

I like 3.5 and dying so I'd be in.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #41831

I'd love to play so long as I could stick within my GMT +1 timezone range limit
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #42149

Shadowrun please.

I'll play regardless though.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42160

I will play.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #42200

give shadowrun
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #42201

nsos wrote:give shadowrun
I have only ever played Shadowrun once. Literally one session.

Some of the most fun I've had playing a game.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Subtle

Post by Subtle » #42293

People wrote:give shadowrun/give WH40k!
NEVER!

In all reality though I've barely even played the systems; my knowledge of the Warhams is /tg/-lite at best. Besides, when I write Sci-Fi I sound like more of a fumbling idiot than I often already do. Sorry guys, my purview is Fantasy and I just don't have the experience with those settings to provide a proper experience from the GM-side of the table. Having gotten that out of the way... I'm busy hashing out the story itself. Hoping to put the dossier out before the 14th, which should give us a week to write up characters and arrange a time to actually play around the previously given date.

So far I'm leaning towards Pathfinder purely for simplicity's sake; you don't necessarily need to know it either. If you want some help just PM me; I'll forward you information on SRD's, resources and will do my best to teach you how to play the game of pretend. Likewise I'd ask our more veteran players to be gentle with any potential newbies.

To give a little information on the setting; idea is to run something with a tropical/subtropical theme. Only as much seafaring as the party intends on doing.
You'll be working with the government of a seedy port-town which needs to demonstrate it has more guardsmen on payroll. What you do, when, and whether you actually solve their problems or just goof around will be entirely up to the party. The intended starting level is around five depending on our number of new players.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #42298

Pathfinder is fine. I'll still play as long as I can use 3.5 source books as well.
Spoiler:

dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42302

Mixing 3.5 and PF is downright dangerous and should only be done if you want a dramatically increased power cap, as players can simply pick the best of the two options each idea is presented as.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #42332

Last time I tried to run something for everyone the forums exploded and everyone died.
Also nobody could give me finished characters on time.

You guys were gonna get to be Knights Errant Security Concepts officers patrolling the streets of Seattle in 2072, and only like two people finished their job applications.

You wound me, /tg/station.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #42337

An0n3 wrote:Last time I tried to run something for everyone the forums exploded and everyone died.

You guys were gonna get to be Knights Errant Security Concepts officers patrolling the streets of Seattle in 2072, and only like two people finished their job applications.

I think that was around the time all that drama was happening.

We could try it again if you'd like. I'd kill to play Shadowrun one more time.
Spoiler:

dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42340

An0n3 wrote:Last time I tried to run something for everyone the forums exploded and everyone died.

A google drive is a good way to handle that. I recall that that game was 'full' despite most people didn't have sheets in. In the future the best way to handle it I find is to put up a calender, get RSVPs, and not count people in the game until they have a sheet and show up to a game. I had success with that star wars saga game I ran one time. We got 12 people showing up and I let them play until we inevitably dropped down to 5 core players who were really interested in the game. It only got canceled because my house fucking caught on fire and I didn't have the time to run.

I am willing to run online SR for people if there is still interest. I don't want to steal thunder from the PF game, I actually really want to play it, but I was thinking of running SR for a while.

It would almost certainly be a standard SR5 campaign and not anything unusual like an KE affair.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #42348

Yes I would like to play. I need to familiarize myself with 5th ed still.

If anyone was curious here is how the last attempt fell apart:
http://wildhogs.canadian-pharmacy.us/ph ... =shadowrun
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #42362

i dont understand the appeal of pathfinder/3.5 when 5e is out
its not that difficult to understand and much more balanced
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #42364

An0n3 wrote:Yes I would like to play. I need to familiarize myself with 5th ed still.

If anyone was curious here is how the last attempt fell apart:
http://wildhogs.canadian-pharmacy.us/ph ... =shadowrun
Ye

I had a link to Chummer5E a bit ago but lost it. I'll make my Street Samurai again.
Spoiler:

ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42376

Hell yeah Shadowrun. Playing with a group in real life right now but you can't ever have too much Shadowrun. Even got some characters on Chummer5 that I made when I was bored one night.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #42378

I would be interested. GMT +10 usually puts me at wacky times but whatever done that for something else in the past.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42379

Does anyone have a really strong attachment to a certain type of character?
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #42384

miggles wrote:i dont understand the appeal of pathfinder/3.5 when 5e is out
its not that difficult to understand and much more balanced
Honestly, 5e (And 4e) just feel gimped option-wise. Maybe it's just because I've had most of my experience with 3.5, but the newer editions feel like they corral you into doing certain play styles.
dezzmont wrote:

A google drive is a good way to handle that. I recall that that game was 'full' despite most people didn't have sheets in. In the future the best way to handle it I find is to put up a calender, get RSVPs, and not count people in the game until they have a sheet and show up to a game. I had success with that star wars saga game I ran one time. We got 12 people showing up and I let them play until we inevitably dropped down to 5 core players who were really interested in the game. It only got canceled because my house fucking caught on fire and I didn't have the time to run.

I am willing to run online SR for people if there is still interest. I don't want to steal thunder from the PF game, I actually really want to play it, but I was thinking of running SR for a while.

It would almost certainly be a standard SR5 campaign and not anything unusual like an KE affair.
I'd love to play Shadowrun, I've never actually had the opportunity to with any of my real life groups; obvious downsides with this is I know fuck all about playing other than reading through the handbooks a couple of times.
I'd probably be interested in playing a Rigger or something I suppose if this does go ahead.
Last edited by Akkryls on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #42392

dezzmont wrote:Does anyone have a really strong attachment to a certain type of character?
I would like to play a Street Samurai.

EDIT: https://code.google.com/p/chummer5/
Spoiler:

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #42395

I get typecast into playing the decker a lot because historically people are really bad at understanding how that works.

I think every character in Shadow run can be really cool. I'd rather wait and see what everyone else wants to do and then fill a gap in the team.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42398

An0n3 wrote:I think every character in Shadow run can be really cool.
I agree, but people get in trouble by trying to push wheelman or medic into an entire role, rather than as a specialty in another role like mage, rigger, decker, or face.

These things are really useful to have, especially someone with good medical skills, but they don't really carry their weight.

As for holding off on making a character, I would say don't. I plan to use my system of orginization: Allow the game to be overbooked, but be harsh when it comes to attendance and just let people naturally drop out after missing a few games. I will tailor the runs to what the party can do in the same way the Johnson would only hire the team to do runs he/she/it thinks they can finish. A team with a decker, mage, and samurai wouldn't be expected to deal with a well of spirit activity.

I am willing to help with generation, not so much in strict optimization so much as avoiding pitfalls. SR gen is actually easy and its easy to go off the rails and do something that isn't one of the classic concepts, but it is helpful to have a sheet audit before the game begins with any SR GM no matter what your experience is. It helps you learn how the GM plans to run the game, sometimes he will say "You have too many investigation skills" and sometimes he will say "You don't have enough" for the same character.

Some basic advice: Anything from bullets and bandages needs to be approved because the book sucks. Try to have a 6 dice-pool for etiquette if you want to interact with people like a normal human being, or 4-5 if you are known for being VERY gruff. Anything lower and you really need to be an expert at the game to survive and have a weird background like 'escaped clone.' Etiquette is sort of like the diplomacy skill in most games but is used to gauge how well you can mesh with other people, you need it to be able to do good work with contacts and generally get along. Don't make a PC only able to fight in the sense that they shoot well as even street samurai die to concentrated fire in a few seconds. A character with the ability to move vertically well with either cyberlegs or a grappling hook, smoke grenades, thermal vision, and a pistol is a way better street samurai than someone with a dicepool of 30 in automatics and 20 armor. When making your character try to get a ranged weapon of some kind, and try to be able to figure out if your concept can pro-actively help in a fight, help complete the actual objectives of the run (Can he hack a door? Scout a building? Con his way in? Smuggle heavy equipment into some ducts?), and if he can help during footwork. Being able to do all 3 of those things defines a complete concept. Don't play a combat mage if you want to focus on blowing stuff up, they actually are bad at that and combat magic is much weaker than a standard grenade if you only care about damage.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42423

Does that mean we can use any source book aside from B&B? (Including the recently released Shadow Magic?) Planning on playing an infiltration adept with Nerve Strike as one of his core powers.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42428

Go ahead.

What are people more interested in? A GITS style game or a standard running game?
litmeuplol
Byond Username: Litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42454

I've never played a P&P game in my fucking life and I'm not sure if my timezone (GMT) will work and also the main problem is that shit can come up literally any fucking time and its shit. I'd be up for it but I don't want to leave in the middle of a game and make everyone pissed off. Sometimes I won't be at a session at all, possibly.

Otherwise I'm so fucking game for this shit man aw yiss
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #42479

dezzmont wrote:Go ahead.

What are people more interested in? A GITS style game or a standard running game?
Stupid questions ahoy; what's the difference?
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42488

Ghost in a Shell is an anime TV series hugely influential on shadowrun, about a transhuman counter terrorist force who used bleeding edge tech to take down national threats using pretty scary levels of resources. The team in GITS are all top in their field and have nearly unlimited funding. Players would have oversight however and little freedom in determining what happens.

Shadowrunners in general are terrorists for hire. Seattle is the prime runner location, acting as a futuristic Hong Kong with less government oversight; it has a dense population and weird borders that make business profitable but also disrupting business easy. Depending on their talents runners do wet-work (Assassination), Smokescreens (Big loud heists designed to not so much get something done but attract security attention so someone else can do something), datasteals (Get in, steal info, get out), or extractions (Get in, get a human being, get out). The system works on a three tiered layer of deniability that prevents any person from betraying anyone else. Johnson, a pseudonym for "Person who wants to hire runners" contacts a Fixer, basically someone who has a ton of connections to get people or things, who stakes their rep on getting a good running team for the job and making sure that the Johnson will pay if they sell out the runners. Because the runners don't work for any corporation and only briefly meet and are paid in unregistered cash. The runners are you guys, talented people who are skilled enough to take on the trained security forces of the target consistently if they are clever but for some reason don't work for a corporation with that level of skill or talent. Maybe they are a radical eco-shaman, maybe they are discharged ex-millitary, or maybe they don't want a life of corporate pseudo-slavery. Maybe they are not a legal person at all, lacking a system identification number, or SIN, but that answer doesn't hold up for long when you are capable of taking out 5-6 trained heavy response team security officers, as at that point you can just ask a corporation to hire you and give you a SIN if you wanted an easy life of luxury.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42491

I'd rather we do standard Shadowrun stuff, at least at the start.

Also cool. I should have a basic skeleton done when I get home in a few hours. Any qualities, powers, spells, etc that you're banning outright?
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #42493

Yeah, I second that. Standard Shadowrun sounds good.
To further add to Explosive's question, what limits in general are we working with in regards to character creation?
litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42500

What about Paranoia?
Spoiler:
this is a terrible idea please no
I'd be up for Shadowrun but I don't know how to make a character or how to play tabletops games or how to roll a die.
And also I might not be there so rip.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42510

Gen is completely standard priority. Not street level as that ironically forces people to be MORE exotic by favoring mages, technomancers, and adepts, or prime runner which ironically makes people LESS exotic by favoring cyborgs, deckers, and riggers.

Some general advice and warnings: Submersion is the same cost as initiation as of errata, SINS do not preclude you from being a runner like some people think but do suck to have, you are not allowed to stack datajacks because that destroys any sense of balance between technomancers and deckers and raises the question on why noise exists if it is that easy to get rid of, note that errata mystic adepts pay 5 karma per-power point and that re-binding a spirit without ruining your astral rep is expensive. Stealing gear with hardware and smart tag removal (Protip, don't tag erase expensive electronics!) will bypass the normal wealth gain, so if you see a T-Pac network (That is a tac-net to you grognards!) in use feel free to beat the guy with it up and take it. Just note that selling stuff is generally a lot less worth while than keeping it, which is why stealing cars is not in fact a viable alternative to running. This is also why having hacking as a secondary skillset makes sense and why it is expensive and time consuming repair drones and decks. In a sense, all gear is now consumable and you could switch to a full HP stolen deck at any time or allow a friend to borrow one. And for the love of god do not freaking play an insomniac mage. I have seen this happen 3 times as people took insomnia assuming it was a minor penalty. It isn't, it destroys your ability to recover from stun damage at rank 1 and makes it very likely you are walking into the second run with damage on you after a month's rest at rank 2.

Skills everyone should have: Automatics or pistols at a decent level. Pistols are more damaging holdouts but automatics scale up better. Ettiquite at at least rank 4 if you are edgy. 6 is what most runners will want at minimum as that allows them relatively average leeway with contacts and such. Sneaking at 6, which is when most guards and civilians will not be able to detect you if they are not looking for you.

Gear bare minimums: 2 SINs, at least 1 of them fake, a comlink (This is your matrix tank), a rebreather (This is your gas tank, and yes that comes up enough to be its own thing), AR gloves or trodes, a subvocal microphone or trode, AR glasses (NOT contacts, though if you can get them too), a concealed weapon, some form of armor, some form of facial covering (May I recommend a ballistic mask with a custom job from run and gun, or perhaps one with the electrochromatic mod?), and a first aid kit of rating 1-3 that fits in your pocket.

All stats are important and none are dump for any concept. Your hacker or mage got 1 strength? Well that kinda sucks as his carry limit becomes 10 kg. Good luck carrying around a recon drone or any amount of reagents along with your kit. Charisma 1? A major part of your character is his contacts and you basically get none with that and can hardly interact with them anyway. Dipping below 3 on most will affect your PC in ways you may not anticipate, and a 1 is extremely deficient. Going below 3 on willpower is heavily inadvisable.

Run and gun called shots are in play so stuff other than APDS and Ex-ammo will be useful for skilled shooters. For example flechette ammo is terrifying in an ambush as it nearly guarantees a kill. Run and Gun's called shot system heavily rewards skilled shooters and attacking from ambush and gives you a lot of tactical depth.

As for house rules: You may initiate or submerge at gen in order to represent a character who graduated from a magical university or who was a professor (Academia actually is where a surprising amount of top tier runners, ones who are more than just thugs, come from). If you get something like a familiar you have to buy hits when designing it. Don't buy spirits at gen with karma, instead if you have summoning and binding just bind 2 spirits as if you bought successes, any force you are capable of summoning. Bullets and Bandages won't fly without approval. Most of the book sucks anyway, the only good bit is on making a medic character and even then it gets some aspects wrong, like it talks about medical riggers remotely healing through medkits which is badass and awesome but acts like you need a special skill to do it, which you don't. You don't even need rigging skills to remotely heal with a first aid kit. The rainforest carbine is banned, it kinda breaks weapon balance between automatics and longarms.

As for people making what I think are jokes, I actually don't care if you can't gen by yourself or need your hand held, but making jokes about it makes me assume you don't give a shit and thus makes me likely to ignore your need for help.
Last edited by dezzmont on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42517

dezzmont wrote:-words-

As for people making what I think are jokes, I actually don't care if you can't gen by yourself or need your hand held, but making jokes about it makes me assume you don't give a shit and thus makes me likely to ignore your need for help.
No dude no joke I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. but If you're going to be like that about it man, then whatever, shit.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42518

litmeuplol wrote:

No dude no joke I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. but If you're going to be like that about it man, then whatever, shit.
I am asking you to cut the sarcasm. If you are going to play this straight with me I want to know how you function in life unable to figure out the functionality of dice.

If you are willing to be straight with me I don't care how inexperienced you are. Vekter I believe was around for SWSE and can vouch for my infinite patience when it comes to hand holding as long as you are not being a jackass making jokes that directly hinder my ability to understand your needs and help you while I am trying to help you. I basically made 7 characters in a period of 3 hours for people who had no idea what they were doing but knew what they wanted to play.

Mainly it is that the joking makes it hard to see what is serious and what isn't. Do you actually have no experience with tabletop gaming? That is fine. Is scheduling a real issue or are you lampooning the chronic problem of no-shows online?
Last edited by dezzmont on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42522

dezzmont wrote:
litmeuplol wrote:

I am asking you to cut the sarcasm. If you are going to play this straight with me I want to know how you function in life unable to figure out the functionality of dice.

If you are willing to be straight with me I don't care how inexperienced you are. Vekter I believe was around for SWSE and can vouch for my infinite patience when it comes to hand holding as long as you are not being a jackass making jokes that directly hinder my ability to understand your needs and help you while I am trying to help you.

Okay the dice thing was a joke but I really have no clue how rules and character sheets(?) and all that stuff works. My apologies. To be honest if you could point me to a guide or something so I can learn/create that stuff in my own time I'd be happy, as sometimes things come up and I don't want to leave whoever's helping me (if someone is helping me). Thanks guy.
nsos

Post by nsos » #42524

dezzmont wrote:Does anyone have a really strong attachment to a certain type of character?

in the KE campaign that fell through i made a character with high social skills but i don' necessarily have any sort of favored archetype.

the only i think is right out to begin with is everyone here is aware that i am absolutely not a good choice for a face role
nsos

Post by nsos » #42525

out of curiousity, though: what do you think shitposting is like in the SR universe (jackpoint, etc.)?
nsos

Post by nsos » #42526

fuck me i have chummer installed on seemingly every pc and laptop i have except for this one.

if anyone needs sourcebooks or whatever i can hook people up
litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42529

nsos wrote:fuck me i have chummer installed on seemingly every pc and laptop i have except for this one.

if anyone needs sourcebooks or whatever i can hook people up
If a sourcebook is like a rulebook I guess I'll need one?

also is chummer like that Roll20 thing or whatever it was called, but not shit?
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42530

No problemo.

There are some quick start rules online I can bring up that run you through basic play mechanics , as well as mechanical cheat sheets that tell you exactly how to do whatever you want to do. Knowing what you want to do comes with having a rough understanding of what you can do. Quickstart rules

Creating a character is actually pretty simple with chummer5e and the example generation in the book. I don't think there are any real guides on how to do it, but there are plenty of opinion pieces on what is good and what is bad. It varies from role to role but in general you want some way to hurt other people, some way to do something slick in an oceans 11 plan, and some way to help put the plan together. You also need to have the people skills (AKA the ettiuqite skill) high enough to let you work your contacts to get gear and information, as well as sneaking skills high enough to not stick out like a sore thumb when you are trying to avoid being spotted in the back end of a facility. There are also a ton of pre-made characters in the book and online, and in this book the pre-mades are actually good enough that you could use them and tweak them slightly without being terrible like in 4e.

If you are more worried about ditching rather than just not interested in individual help we could also work together by PMs. You could also talk in this thread about ideas you had and questions you got

For example, do you have the books? And do you have an idea of what kind of character you may want to play? Shadowrun is a very co-operative game about overcoming challenges, rather than beating up monsters. In one sense, that makes being good at something really good as it allows you to overcome new obstacles and bypass others. However in other ways it also means that not really having a good character and not knowing what you are doing isn't too awful, because sometimes you just need a set of hands or an extra gun. At worst you are a +2 bonus to the face's attempt at intimidation.

Chummer is a character generator. It handles all the math for you, but you still need to kind of know the math so you don't make weird mistakes or poor decisions. It takes a 30-45 minute generation process and brings it down to about 15 minutes.
nsos wrote:
the only i think is right out to begin with is everyone here is aware that i am absolutely not a good choice for a face role
That makes you the best kind of face.
miggles

Post by miggles » #42536

dezz why do you type a book for all of your posts
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42537

miggles wrote:dezz why do you type a book for all of your posts
Because I care~
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42540

Oh, note some rules differ from the quickstart rules. It is just a good way to get familiar with the core mechanics. Stuff like move distance is more complicated in the real game.
litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #42542

dezzmont wrote: -WORDS-
Also can I add you on Steam or something because I have questions and going back and forth in a thread is kind of annoying.
Spoiler:
if not then that's fine
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42543

Sure go ahead.

Just note that in instant messaging and IRC and junk I can get a little rambley.

Steam name is dezzmont.