aight for real about them escalation rules

Dubem
Byond Username: Kha

aight for real about them escalation rules

Post by Dubem » #415475

so to make this quick: FeemjMeem slaps a ticket on me for killing someone who damn near killed me by thunkin me on the head with a stinguisher while i was unconcious after a mysterious explosion when i passed the fella, feem says it was not a legit kill because he was a doctor that went to medbay to get healed 5 minutes after bashing my head in, now those 3 points dont mean jack shit to me as the current rules page has nothing to say about any of that, and what i did was legit based on what numerous admins have told me in the past, i'd like to know what exactly the current escalation rules are and why the hell the rules page hasn't been updated as feem refuses to tell me himself.

also sorry about posting during round, didn't realize it'd matter considering how no names were named and how little IC shit was said (basically that i just got into a fight)
and sorry about double post too, just that the one i made first is still locked despite the round ending (and possibly another, dunno)
Last edited by Dubem on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: aight for real about them escalation rules

Post by oranges » #415476

seems like a deserved kill to me

here
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Escalation
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #415478

You didn't get a note or a ban. I said that when someone disengages from you that hard (leaving entirely) and they don't re-engage with you (they were coming back to their workplace and you dunked them) that you've acted in bad faith and you should stop doing that.

If this hadn't been a situation in which both his initial attack on you (thinking you'd bombed him) and your initial response (attacking back because you thought they'd bombed you) were 'valid', then there would have been a note. Since you were both 'right,' there wasn't.

But your initial statement in the ahelp was: "'ey man, dont matter whether or not they tried to attack me AGAIN. the problem is that they attacked me in the first place", and I wanted to let you know that, no, there are a lot of circumstances where that won't be okay.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #415479

why did the guy hit you anyway
feem

Post by feem » #415480

They both thought the other had blown them up with a hot potato, but it was actually a third person that got them both.
Dubem

Post by Dubem » #415482

the guy hit me because i walked past him and a hot potato bomb, most likely placed on him went off. We both DEFFINETLY got the message for it so even if he thinks i was the source of the explosion he had the info that it was from a hot potato bomb and i could've had it placed on me without me actually wanting to ynow, blow the fuck up and all that. He then proceeded to beat me up as i was unconcious on the floor apparently thinking that no, i did infact want to suicide bomb into him.
My retaliation was not because i thought he was the source of the explosion like feem seems to claim, but rather because he beat the shit out of me with a stinguisher
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #415483

feem wrote:You didn't get a note or a ban. I said that when someone disengages from you that hard (leaving entirely) and they don't re-engage with you (they were coming back to their workplace and you dunked them) that you've acted in bad faith and you should stop doing that.

If this hadn't been a situation in which both his initial attack on you (thinking you'd bombed him) and your initial response (attacking back because you thought they'd bombed you) were 'valid', then there would have been a note. Since you were both 'right,' there wasn't.

But your initial statement in the ahelp was: "'ey man, dont matter whether or not they tried to attack me AGAIN. the problem is that they attacked me in the first place", and I wanted to let you know that, no, there are a lot of circumstances where that won't be okay.
I'd like to disagree with this. The doctor could've used his words since he (the victim) was knocked out. It wouldn't have been hard to detain him and question him instead of assaulting him with an extinguisher.

I hate to be one of *those* guys that say "well you said X so I can do Y" but you just said that I can run out of my workplace, beat up a guy, and complain when he kills me a few minutes later because I "hard disengaged" and went back to my workplace.

I personally don't wait for someone to attack me twice before I retaliate, I retaliate on the first time.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
feem

Post by feem » #415484

If you have any issues with the way the situation was handled please file an admin complaint.
feem

Post by feem » #415486

BeeSting12 wrote:you just said
Nope.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #415487

Dubem wrote:the guy hit me because i walked past him and a hot potato bomb, most likely placed on him went off. We both DEFFINETLY got the message for it so even if he thinks i was the source of the explosion he had the info that it was from a hot potato bomb and i could've had it placed on me without me actually wanting to ynow, blow the fuck up and all that. He then proceeded to beat me up as i was unconcious on the floor apparently thinking that no, i did infact want to suicide bomb into him.
My retaliation was not because i thought he was the source of the explosion like feem seems to claim, but rather because he beat the shit out of me with a stinguisher
Yeah, I really hope that the other guy didn't ahelp this, it seems totally fine and clear cut, he made a bad call, tried to beat you to death and later paid the price.
Dubem

Post by Dubem » #415488

i have an issue with people saying different shit about the rules, you got anywhere where i can complain about that? 'cause if it ain't here it better be somewhere
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #415489

feem wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:you just said
Nope.
feem wrote:You didn't get a note or a ban. I said that when someone disengages from you that hard (leaving entirely) and they don't re-engage with you (they were coming back to their workplace and you dunked them) that you've acted in bad faith and you should stop doing that.
Yep
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #415490

I don't think it's really fair to say it's in "bad faith" to go take revenge on a player that (seemingly in this case) tried to murder you even if they are no longer actively hunting you.

I also understand that the idea of killing someone 40 minutes later over a punch would be in bad faith but it seems a bit unfair and confusing to try and tell a player that his principle is wrong when he is correct in a particular situation the adminhelp is about, and when that principle you'd like (don't go after people who disengaged) isn't on the rules page yet.

Policy or admin forums or discord seem like a better place to hash out a new rule rather than in a ticket with a player who is tunnel visioned on the thing that just happened to them in the game.
Dubem

Post by Dubem » #415491

no for real, what the hell do yall mean with bad faith

Oh right, i never asked the question in the first place because the first post got locked as i was about to ask that so if you were confused by this i tried to ask that already and never got an answer for obvious reasons
feem

Post by feem » #415493

If either of you had done something explicitly wrong, you would have gotten a note or a ban.

I had intended to _advise you_ that it's typically not a good idea to re-initiate a fight after someone has disengaged fully.

Please understand that no ban, and no note, was placed. Making the argument that 'they could have talked it out' is valid, but that could have taken place at any point. A point where they were both awake and neither was, at the time, engaged in combat or dying, would've been an ideal opportunity for that. Both parties eschewed this.

But again, since both players thought that the other had tried to kill them, this was at the end of the day an IC issue. My reason for responding to you the way I did in the PM, and for eventually closing the ahelp, was your following statement: 'from what every fuckin' admin so far has told me, even one punch is enough to allow for someone to kill ya.'

While that IS true under the way the rules are currently written, it's also a super shitty idea and doing that kind of thing repeatedly has in the past led to rule zero or rule 1 bans, escalation policy notwithstanding.

If we can redirect this thread into addressing that that IS how the rules are currently written, and that it CAN lead to shitty situations, and that MAYBE WE SHOULD ADDRESS THAT, then that'd be great. Otherwise, file an admin complaint about my behavior.
Dubem

Post by Dubem » #415509

eh, just don't _advise people_ for legit shit and confusion like this won't happen (especially when you're not making it clear that you're _advising people_)
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #415554

Hunting people down should only really be reserved for suspected antags with good reason to suspect them. This was one such occasion.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #415562

for christ's sakes, quasi-ban appeals were bad enough, quasi-note appeals were even worse, don't start with the quasi-bwoink appeals for the love of clown
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #415588

bandit wrote:for christ's sakes, quasi-ban appeals were bad enough, quasi-note appeals were even worse, don't start with the quasi-bwoink appeals for the love of clown
It's bad when admins interfere with their unwarranted "advise" when both sides are right, it makes the game experience miserable. Imagine if the same had happened in a different context: sec officer has incomplete information about a guy and thinks he's a suspect, tries to arrest him, they guy resists (like he is allowed to due per policy), the officer throws a brutal manhunt for him, BWOINK "Hey just so you know the guy is innocent he just doesn't want to be arrested, go easy on him"

Escalation over incomplete information can and does happen all the time, and in this case it was perfectly within the rules. It's part of the game, admins shouldn't try to defuse every single violent interaction between players until only antags and non-antags are allowed to interact.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #415593

Grazyn wrote:
bandit wrote:for christ's sakes, quasi-ban appeals were bad enough, quasi-note appeals were even worse, don't start with the quasi-bwoink appeals for the love of clown
It's bad when admins interfere with their unwarranted "advise" when both sides are right, it makes the game experience miserable. Imagine if the same had happened in a different context: sec officer has incomplete information about a guy and thinks he's a suspect, tries to arrest him, they guy resists (like he is allowed to due per policy), the officer throws a brutal manhunt for him, BWOINK "Hey just so you know the guy is innocent he just doesn't want to be arrested, go easy on him"

Escalation over incomplete information can and does happen all the time, and in this case it was perfectly within the rules. It's part of the game, admins shouldn't try to defuse every single violent interaction between players until only antags and non-antags are allowed to interact.
Just because something is inactionable by it's own, advice is often given when there's a bad line of thinking like 'from what every fuckin' admin so far has told me, even one punch is enough to allow for someone to kill ya.' is corrected to prevent conflicts in the future where really shoddy line of thinking will lead to a bad situation. That or there's a history where someone skirts the line constantly and they are told to tone down a bit. Constant really bad behavior can and will get you a Rule 0/1 ban eventually.

Also if advise makes your game miserable then maybe you shouldn't play an online game.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #415600

I'm talking about interference because I understand that there was no ahelp from the other guy. I don't mind investigation following an ahelp, I do mind admins jumping in to lecture players who acted well within the rules and provide blatant OOC information, like the other guy not being an antag and why he acted this way, for no reason other than to defuse a situation that didn't have to be defused in the first place. What he said isn't even real policy, one punch is definitely enough to escalate (if you ignore it, the following punches will weaken you and you'll die), and you are allowed to take revenge on someone who critted you, even if he merrily went back to his station after leaving you to die in a hall.
feem

Post by feem » #415676

Grazyn wrote:I understand that there was no ahelp from the other guy.
your assumption is incorrect