Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

[Nabski] Basilman - spamming note appeal

Post by bman » #417286

Byond account and character name: Basilman, John Claps
Banning admin: Nabski
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server
Ban reason and length: spamming, 30 mnutes
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 1:15:38 (probably est)
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: I wanted to do a gimmick, I went in as John Claps and started clapping REALLY FAST anytime something remotely mundane happens.

Why you think you should be unbanned: The admin banned me based on a message saying that I clapped 150 times, but I though (but not sure) that it's because I simply clapped two times with a time gap between but because no one spoke it all got grouped into one, when I asked them about this they sent me this message.
Thing is, it doesn't show up like that for me at all, it's just John Claps (150x) and I'm pretty sure that's the default, he told me that you can choose how you want it.

The problem here is that I only did this gimmick because I was sure it takes only one line of text, and I really dont know why anyone would choose having it multi-line then complain when they have the option right there to disable it, I'm not even sure why it's an option to begin with; because when you do this with the (good) option it's not spamming at all because it takes literally only ONE LINE of chat text and doesnt bury anything.

I'm only appealing this for the note, it's 30 minutes but the note lasts forever obviously.

edit: and just to clarify, although even if I did actually clap 150 claps, the time between each command being sent is purposefully very low so the actual clapping lasts for only 5 seconds tops, and this is one of the few times I did it this much. (if anyone thinks I'm going around clapping 24/7, which I'm absolutely not)
Last edited by bman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: [Nabski] Basilman - spamming note appeal

Post by Nabski » #417287

I feel the note is accurate, because you did spam clapping with a very low cooldown somehow, and it included a sound effect each time making a weird pitter patter sound effect. Please note that that it was actually approximately 4 times longer than what is shown there.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417288

Nabski wrote:I feel the note is accurate, because you did spam clapping with a very low cooldown somehow, and it included a sound effect each time making a weird pitter patter sound effect. Please note that that it was actually approximately 4 times longer than what is shown there.
It's 4 times longer for you, it takes only 1 line for me, point is, why would you ever have it set like that?

Also, having a low cooldown means the clapping sound finishes faster when you stop clapping, which is like 5 seconds of sound only.

edit: that means you'd have to classify a grand total of 1 line of text and 5 seconds of sound as spam
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #417289

It was enough of a meme that you had a circle of ghosts following you.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417291

Yeah, but it's literally only one line on the superior option and I'm clueless why you'd choose the shitty way of displaying multiple messages then complain about that spamming you, why is it even included as an option? I don't get that
when you can have all the messages stacked together like this, and that's how I had it on my client so I didn't even know it was capable of spam.

edit: my point is that this is something that is incredibly easy to avoid and it would only bug the few people who refuse to switch to multi-message stacking for some arcane reason, and I don't know why I should accommodate for something like that when it's really not my fault that they dont want to switch, especially when there is NO reason you wouldn't use that other version, aside from not knowing it exists.

someone in discord pinned down what im trying to say here
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #417293

A lot of messages will lag a client regardless of client side condensating.

Also sound spam is annoying.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417295

Dax Dupont wrote:A lot of messages will lag a client regardless of client side condensating.

I'm perhaps the laggiest person on TG and it doesn't affect me a little bit, and the sound "spam" is about 5 seconds of sound

edit: and it's five seconds of sound because I purposefully made sure I don't do it beyond like 6 seconds, but I'm still being punished because of a redundant feature that some people still want to use
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #417297

bman wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:A lot of messages will lag a client regardless of client side condensating.

I'm perhaps the laggiest person on TG and it doesn't affect me a little bit, and the sound "spam" is about 5 seconds of sound

edit: and it's five seconds of sound because I purposefully made sure I don't do it beyond like 6 seconds, but I'm still being punished because of a redundant feature that some people still want to use
Every time goonchat rolls up a chat line, it's calculating that roll-up. I _think_ this happens client-side in the browser engine, but it DOES cause lag on client systems when the numbers get especially high especially quickly. It's feasible to think that slower rates could affect people too.

Also from the rules:
Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from ingame admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.
I don't think a short ban is out of line considering that this was both emote and sound spam.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417299

Unless you cant be arsed to click a button, the emote "spam" is ONE LINE and the sound "spam" is 5 SECONDS TOP, seriously.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #417300

I think it’s a lot easier to say that spam of any kind isn’t tolerated regardless of how it’s presented.

I think that’s explicitly put in the rules but mobileposter and > admin knowing rules
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417301

Cobby wrote:I think it’s a lot easier to say that spam of any kind isn’t tolerated regardless of how it’s presented.

I think that’s explicitly put in the rules but mobileposter and > admin knowing rules
"spam of any kind is not tolerated even if it's not actually spam"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #417302

It plays a sound doesn’t it?

Not my problem but I’m personally under the impression that it’s still spam even if it isn’t line by line autism.

Stupid automeme
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417303

Cobby wrote:It plays a sound doesn’t it?

Not my problem but I’m personally under the impression that it’s still spam even if it isn’t line by line autism.

Stupid automeme
"if it plays a (5 second) sound, it's spam."
Last edited by bman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417314

Rule 1.

Precedent 2. Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from ingame admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.
You've received your warning and your note. You know not to do it now, even if you were unaware of the consequences it is still rule breaking and should be noted down. The note is not wrong in any way.

Notes are often only taken into account if you gain multiple in a short amount of time for the same thing. Just don't spam again and you'll be fine.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417317

can any admin explain how what i was doing constitutes "spamming" in any shape of way or form rather than coming in here and ignoring my past responses and going "oh yeah, what about the sound?, bet you didnt think of that :smirk:"

please explain how 1 line text 5 seconds sound clip is "spamming a channel"
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417318

we're banning you for flooding the chat with 1 line of text and 5 seconds of sound. You've received your warning and your note. You know not to do it now, even if you were unaware of the consequences it is still rule breaking and should be noted down. The note is not wrong in any way.

thanks for eating shit and no problem for your mundane ban that doesnt even apply to the rule because you didnt actually spam, hope you learned your lesson kid.

edit: just for comparison eating a whole burger can make a much longer sound than what i was making, better ban anyone who eats for spamming the channel.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #417319

wait a minute

is that admin using the fucking fallback chat window?

what hte fuck is going on here
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417320

I should've locked this thread after I made the ruling, you wouldn't look as stupid.

Spamming the same thing 150 times, whether there is code that hides it for certain people or not, is still spamming the same thing 150 times. Why not just... not do it? It's there in the rules... you were told not to do it. You got a note. Well done, you went through the proper channels to dispute it. You're now being told the note is correct and you're now throwing a hissy fit. If you're unhappy with that bman you can request the rules be changed.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417321

you're just calling it spamming but you still refuse to explain how it's spamming the channel to send 1 line of text

edit: rather than using your post to insult me you could've answered my question
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417322

You are spamming an action. I do not care if it appears as one line of text for yourself because some smart coder changed it so it appears like that in the chatbox. You do not spam anything as the rules states.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417323

Rustledjimm wrote:You are spamming an action. I do not care if it appears as one line of text for yourself because some smart coder changed it so it appears like that in the chatbox. You do not spam anything as the rules states.
also it appears that this isnt even an option like nabski said, it's stacked for literally every player and i cant find any setting to switch them, that means it's 1 line for literally everyone.

also you still didnt answer my question, how is 1 line of text spamming the channel
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417324

Do I need to spell it out for you.

You
are
spamming
an
action
I
do
not
care
if
it
only
appears
as
one
line
of
text
for
yourself
it
is
still
spamming
an
action
on
byond
we
do
not
allow
any
spamming
as
stated
in
the
rules

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417325

rather than throwing a hissy fit, you can answer my question, if i ask you how it's spamming you cant just reply "it's spamming" and expect me to be satisfied

edit: also it looks like you didnt read my post, it appears this is not 1 line for me only, but for everyone, and the admin was viewing it through a different window.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417326

You're hilarious bman.

The chatbox isn't the only thing you can spam we've already stated this. Someone would almost think you're being obtuse on purpose. I've been trying to tell you this but you continue to ignore this and not read my posts at all. You've had your ruling. If you are unhappy with it you can try and get the rules changed. Your note stays.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417327

Rustledjimm wrote:You're hilarious bman.

The chatbox isn't the only thing you can spam we've already stated this. Someone would almost think you're being obtuse on purpose. I've been trying to tell you this but you continue to ignore this and not read my posts at all. You've had your ruling. If you are unhappy with it you can try and get the rules changed. Your note stays.
explain how it's spamming to create 1 (One) message that does not interfere with anyone's gameplay in any way whatsoever, and to create a sound that is much shorter than the sounds the game already play all the time
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #417328

You've already been told you're spamming the client. You just won't accept this ruling will you? It clearly states in the rules. No spamming of ANY kind. I'm certain you can read considering you can type. We. Do. Not. Allow. Spamming. Of. Any. Kind. Clapping 150x or whatever in quick succession is... spamming! Even if it appears as just 1 line of text in the chatbox.

Thank you for appealing. Appeal Denied. You shall receive no further replies from myself as I just keep having to repeat myself.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #417330

sure kid